Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What do you do to help & preserve the environment?

last reply
28 replies
2.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Linebacker
0 likes
I know there is only so much one regular person can do, but what all do you do to preserve and enhance a healthy environment on our planet?
0 likes
In 1976 we decided not to have children due to the world wide population explosion. My wife had a tubal ligation and approximately a year later I had a vasectomy. We, also, stopped eating red meat and pork products in protest over how the animals were treated by big ag. Later we included poultry, dairy and eventually fish products for the same reasons. We only purchase eggs from local farmers who allowed us to visit their farms and have free range chickens. While we're not vegans, we are ovo-vegetarians.

After I retired from the navy we lived in a remote area in the desert on a solar and wind power system I designed and installed. Unfortunately, we had to relocate to our hometown to help our ailing, elderly parents. At present we live in a standard, stick-built home on five acres of over used farm land which was planted in tobacco, cotton and corn since the 1700's and then planted in pine trees over and over again since the 1930's. We had a select cutting two years ago and now we are allowing an undergrowth of native hardwood to reemerge.

We have our own deep well and septic system and are a member of a regional electrical co-op; not the best, but at least we have some say. Shopping for groceries in our small, southern, Christian-conservative, town is very challenging but we're dealing with it. We buy most of our clothing at thrift shops. We DO NOT eat out. We keep our thermostat at 82 degrees in summer and 65 degrees in winter. We have just recently built up our garden soil where we are actually growing most of our own spring, summer and early fall vegetables and blue-berries.

For years I was a huge proponent for alternative fuels and electric cars. While I still support most alternative fuels, I no longer support electric vehicles. The big corporations have taken over and it is NOT for the environment. These electric vehicles are designed for a life span of under five years. The big brother corporations are now the land, mining for rare earth minerals all over the globe to build these vehicles. And please do not fall for the "renewable resource" of bamboo products. Again, the huge corporations are slashing and burning the rain forests to plant bamboo plantations. The same with palm oil.

My wife still drives her 1992 Mazda 323. I drive a 2004 Ford Ranger. Where the Ranger's gas mileage sucks, I put less than 5000 miles on it a year. We don't go anywhere.

The biggest issue for our planet is world wide, gross over population. IF we would address the most of our environmental and social problems would cease to exist.

Thank you Buz for this thread.
Maker of Mediocre Jokes
0 likes
One of the biggest things is related to buying food. I've been told and am too lazy to double check, but apparently 1/2 of the food produced by USA goes to waste. As a result, I tend to take more frequent trips to the grocery (biking there with a backpack naturally) buying smaller amounts to minimize waste.

Not reproducing is towards the top of my list. After that, I try to ride a bike or walk instead of driving, bring re-usable back to places when I have to buy stuff. I also try to spend as much time in places that are temperature controlled anyway, such as libraries when reading or writing, so I don't double up on electricity. I also try to avoid buying stuff online, as the excess cardboard consumption from shipping stuff is huge. I'm also cutting down on fried foods, as disposing of the oil is quite bad for the environment, and pipes. Unplugging electronics when they aren't in use is helpful. I started doing that to shave a few bucks off my electric bill, but it turns out to be environmentally good.

Loose leaf tea is another one. Loose leaf is generally higher quality, so more cups per leaf, and the lack of paper from the bags is a small step, but does something.

Also, I've been led to believe that farting and burping cows are responsible for pumping a lot of greenhouse gas into the world. As such, I am on a quest to eat cows to extinction. I've been told it doesn't work like that, and not eating cows would be better for reducing their numbers, but that doesn't make sense to me. If I don't eat the cow, then the cow might reproduce, making more farting and burping cows, whereas if I eat it, it's not farting, burping or reproducing.

Wow that's a terrible joke, even for me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well if you live in the USA, you should probably start by voting for someone that believes climate change is real.

A lot of the stuff that regular people do is worthless. You need massive government change.

Until it becomes more profitable to save the environment than to exploit it, nothing will be done.

But, listening to actual scientists might be a start.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by blackjack791
Well if you live in the USA, you should probably start by voting for someone that believes climate change is real.

A lot of the stuff that regular people do is worthless. You need massive government change.

Until it becomes more profitable to save the environment than to exploit it, nothing will be done.

But, listening to actual scientists might be a start.
I couldn't agree with you more. I think the little things we do will help, but certainly not solve the problem. To many people feel that 'you' should do something about it, but when it comes time for the solution to hit my pocketbook, or inconvenience me in any way, well now, that's a different story. So things continue on the same way.

Do I think things will ever change? Yes, I do, and to a certain extent, I think we are starting to see the beginning now. More and more people are becoming aware of and talking about the problem, especially the younger generation. They will be the solution, not us old foggies that have spent a lifetime doing a mighty fine job of creating the crisis. It's the same old story. Humans refuse to act until the situation becomes a desperate crisis, then suddenly, an all out effort is made to fix the problem. It never occurs to us two legged creatures that it would have been a lot simpler, faster, cheaper and would have taken much less effort to have made a few small changes years ago, and so have prevented the problem in the first place.

To answer the original question, for years I've been involved in and fully support recycling of any item that can be. Those that can't be re-processed with today's technology, then let's develop the means to do so. I can see benefits and disadvantages to these types of programs, however, I feel that with proper management the benefits will far out weigh any problems. Before rushing to the store to purchase something, I look around at any items I already have, and in many cases I'm able to adapt one of them to serve the desired purpose. If I find a piece of garbage that someone carelessly threw out, I'll always pick it up and dispose of it properly.

Even though I have no direct say, I fully support the idea of preserving areas such as our national parks. By that, I mean no mining, drilling or logging in these areas. Many of our cities are in fertile farming areas and are being allowed and encouraged to grow at an alarming rate. We need this ground to produce food for a growing and hungry world population. Once that soil is covered in concrete, it is lost forever. This also applies to the large amounts of land being destroyed by our ever expanding highway systems. The same system that allows more cars to be on the road producing more air pollutants that are killing us faster and faster. Boy, that sure makes good sense.

People, we have to stop thinking only in terms of the all-mighty dollar and what it will cost to make some change. It doesn't cost, it pays, and in most cases, it pays huge bonuses.

Thank you Buz for starting this thread. I think it is a very worth while one and I hope that a large segment of the membership will take advantage of it and express their opinions. We desperately need this type of dialogue now more than ever.

If I may be so bold, Buz, since you started this, I'd like to ask you your question. What are you and your loved ones doing?
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
The Linebacker
0 likes
Myself. I do the usuals to start with: recycle, don't litter, use metal washable water bottles instead of plastic and styrofoam, financially support the Arbor Society, email my US Congressperson and Senators to support environmental concerns. Subscribe to two newspapers online, I've planted extra trees in my yard. I am involved with several community tree planting projects. I donate to land preservation projects that save acreage from development, turning it over to local municipalities, required to be nature preserves with green space park usage.

I also support campaigns to limit big box store parking lot and ground coverage. We are hoping to get legislation passed that limits how much space can be paved and concreted, forcing these retail developments to build parking decks rather than enormous parking lots covering the ground, and that they must meet a generous green space requirement that is covered in trees and shrubs. This kind of work is mostly done on the local municipality and state levels because that is where the laws are enacted that affect this type of thing.

Where I live, Atlanta, Georgia, we have a strict tree preservation law that give us the most tree coverage of any major city in the USA, prompting the city slogan, 'A city in the forest.' To remove a tree here is a lot of pain in the ass red tape. You have to have a very good reason, and if approved, a new tree must be planted. I would love to see all cities adopt that policy.

I'm also very involved in the campaign to fight development of Georgia's coastal islands which are mostly all protected nature preserves. Unfortunately, there is a GOP movement to remove the nature preservation and allow development on these islands.

There are things people can do. For instance, if you are building a house or small office or retail development, make sure the wood comes from tree farms that grow the trees in planned stages, using the same land over and over. That way the overall state and national forest coverage is not depleted.

And strongly research your state and national representatives to make sure that they support environmental issues. Donald Trump and his Kool-Aid drinking disciples do not support the environment, think global warming is a hoax, and always support development over nature preservation. And very important, research your city council members, and county or parrish commissioners because they have vast control over development where you live. So support and vote for those who want to preserve green space and the environment, and will keep out new factory or refinery development that brings heavy pollutants with it.

Also, support rail transit over super highway development. That greatly cuts down on air pollutants and loss of greenspace. America could use railway to greatly reduce our need for automobiles and highways. You can help, again, by campaigning to your elected officials. Politicians for the most part, only believe in what gets them votes and keeps them in office. So if they are convinced the majority of their constituents want and will vote based on environmental issues and protection, they will become environmentalists. So let your voices be heard, use the power of the pen, or the keyboard.
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
Recycle my used knickers as anti-viral face masks.

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by naughtyannie

Can I order one please?

GrushaVashnadze's best stories:

Alison Goes to London (RR) - "love this... fun, and funny, and sexy" (sprite)

The Cursed Cunt (RR) - "holyyyyy sheeeiiit.... Your writing is fucking fantastic" (CarltonStJames)

A Worthless Filthy Fucking Smoking Trash Cunt Whore (RR) - "Brilliantly done. Of course." (naughtyannie)

Snow White and the Seven Dildos (RR) - "Fuck. It's perfect.... honestly genius and so fucking well executed." (VioletVixen)

Metamorphoses (RR) - "so imaginative and entertaining" (saucymh)

And There Came Two Angels to Sodom - "What a deliciously worded story! So juicy, so raunchy" (el_henke)

Fuck-Talk (with VioletVixen) - "Jeez. I feel rendered wordless by how much clever fucking fun this is" (Jaymal)

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I vote against Republicans at every opportunity.
Clumeleon
0 likes
I vote Green. And I don't have a driving license.
0 likes
Quote by Beffer
I vote against Republicans at every opportunity.

=d> Me, too!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I plant trees on my property. I now have planted over 40 trees. Some are now as high as 100+ feet. This year I will be planting two poplars.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by naughtyannie

I'll take you up on that... Where do I order? ?
0 likes
Besides recycle?
Nothing. I cannot give up blk plastic straws or blk. water.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No kids. Not now. Not ever. It's pretty much the only way an *individual* can have a significant impact on the world's carbon problem.

"The Punished Nonpartisan" <- Extreme BDSM and humiliation story. Heavy on plot. Served on a plate of political drama with a side of domestic terror. Currently Free download.

Jocelyn the Wicked <- futanari, fantasy fan fic, and some tentacles that escaped the laboratory

Mana wahine
0 likes
Recycling. Like we recycle nearly everything, and we've cut down our household rubbish so much that we don't actually do the city council rubbish collection anymore. We re-use bread bags and use that for kitchen bits and pieces, and then we dispose of it in the public bins.

I also purchase some hygiene products that use as little waste as possible. Bar soap instead of liquid, recyclable shampoo/conditioner/face creams and products.

I take public transport. I have a license, but not a car, currently, so I take the bus most places, or I walk, as where I live is 10 minutes from a supermarket/town. When I can, I buy vintage or secondhand, or from brands that are ethical. I also reduced my meat consumption. Plastic bags are banned here in NZ, so I have a pretty good collection of reusable shopping bags.
Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
0 likes
Wrap it in plastic to keep it fresh.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do lots of recycling. Use as little plastic as possible, and eco-cleaning things. I walk as much as I can (good way of keeping fit anyway). I agree with the post about voting for the right people. At the moment in UK we can't trust anyone to keep their promises, politics is in a mess., but we do our best.

Gloomy subject. If you want something lighthearted try my latest story <a href="https://"> Maylin's Marriage, Year One </a>

Which is not to say get so lighthearted you forget the important issues like this one. All best. Gordon
Troublemaker
0 likes
Cool thread. As for me I recycle religiously. I tend to donate to environmental causes. I grow some of my own food, all organically. I've done a number of organized pollution cleanups and typically pick up trash, especially in the woods. I'm not perfect but I'd describe myself as almost vegan. I try to shop locally and even at the supermarket, I'll pass up a foreign fruit I might prefer for a locally grown apple. Except for "Pink Lady" apples from NZ. Those I won't give up. For vacations I pretty much went on self-propelled adventures so like to think I left a smaller footprint but some of those trips did involve a very long drive to the start point. I very rarely buy bottled water unless the drinking water is unsafe. I try to keep my 'stuff' as long as I can and have a triage system as clothes go from 'good' to 'work clothes' to rags. I do a lot of small things like buying vehicles with good gas mileage, repurpose broken things (you can do all kinds of cool shit with those old TV cabinets) i fix things instead of just throwing them out, try to buy from businesses that support the environment.
I do think every little bit helps but I've heard dark stories of recyclables going into general landfill so I agree that its governments and business that need to act. Where you spend your money and how you vote makes a difference.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
By not procreating.
0 likes
THANK YOU! My wife and I chose the same thing back in 1976!
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Fuck All
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Lurker
0 likes
Vote for people who actually believe in science.

You can collect all the plastic bags under your sink, but if your elected representatives are cutting regulations so corporations can make more money... we are all fucked.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Re-cycle everything possible.

Assist with rural and urban clean-up days.

The 'Clean-Up Australia Day' is a fantastic organisation.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Not enough :-(
for earth the wonder of,
of all life not above,
heed love, need love;
seed love—
love love.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
CoyotMittens, I think your answer describes most of us. I'm sure I could also do more though I do try very hard to recycle things and not waste anything.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz
I know there is only so much one regular person can do, but what all do you do to preserve and enhance a healthy environment on our planet?

Vote blue
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Recycling, participate in clean-up and pick-up events for my area, voting for candidates concerned about the environment, writing to legislators about some environmental legislation, oppose land development when there’s a movement to do so in my area
Lurker
0 likes
Your post content is being interested by a lot of people, I am very impressed with your post. I hope to receive more good articles. fireboy and watergirl