Any riders on here?

last reply
27 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Have not ridden in quite a while, but recently got a deal I could not pass up. An 86 Yamaha Virago 1100 with only 14,000 miles on it for $400.

My first bike was a 56 Harley FLH "panhead", with suicide shift. Not a good bike to learn on. :-) About six weeks after I got my lisence, I got cut off by a tractor trailer, loaded with steel. If I'd been more experoenced, I'd have aboided him, but I bailed and dropped the bike. The trailer turned it into pretzled scrap iron. My next bike was a 250 Sprint (Aeromachi/Harley Davidson). I rode it till I got out of the Navy, then sold it. Bought a 150 Lambretta Speciale, which I rode for about twenty years, then sold and got a Honda CB500-4. Sold it in 2010, when i needed to replace a dead car. So have not had a bike for the last ten years.

Looking forward to getting the Virago on the road this coming Spring. Have to rebuild the fuel system, and put a pair of tires on it.

Any other riders on here? What's your current and past rides?
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
The Linebacker
0 likes
Started with a minibike then a Kawasaki motocross bike. My first serious bike needed a lot of work, an 86 Kawasaki Vulcan. I had it in good shape in college. An 09 Kawasaki Ninja, 2011 Victory Vegas Jackpot, 05 Harley-Davidson Fatboy with apehangers.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Harley 650 street - black. like my coffee. perfect for Seattle weather...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've had a number of bikes in my time riding. My favorites though were my Suzuki Intruder 1400 and my Suzuki Cavalcade full dresser.

Sadly, I haven't been in the saddle for far too long and I miss it. ~sigh~
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Master_Jonathan
I've had a number of bikes in my time riding. My favorites though were my Suzuki Intruder 1400 and my Suzuki Cavalcade full dresser.

Sadly, I haven't been in the saddle for far too long and I miss it. ~sigh~

summer comes, i'll ride up and we'll do a road trip. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Force of Nature
0 likes
I learned in a back lane on a Honda CD175. I rode various bikes as a courier in London when my car was in the shop. A friend bought and rebuilt Kawasaki 400s and let me ride them for a few days until he sold them. I test rode a 10ish-year-old mid-70s Ducati. After 4 miles I went back and signed on the dotted. Best vibrator I ever owned. The last bike I had was a very old 750 Suzuki. I loaned it to a friend who had a close encounter with a drunk. The bike was toast, but I kept the friend.

Looks like we're in for a nasty spell of wether.

Gracie Goes To Hollywood's - True

The Night They Tried to Close RUMPLATIONS Bar (with JamesLlewellyn)

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

summer comes, i'll ride up and we'll do a road trip. smile

It's deal sprite, but only if I drive (I know where all the potholes are!)
colin123
0 likes
Have had motorbikes for many years, Kawasaki Z1100 was by far my favourite ride. On a bike of course ha ha.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Currently have four in the shed. Love just about everything to do with bikes - except buying tyres ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Current ride

Previously
BMW LT k1200
1986 V65Magna
KZ 900
KZ650
RD 350

Great little find you came across have fun be safe!
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I thought you meant horses too!

0 likes
Well, I ride neither motorbikes nor horses, but I have a nice 18 speed hybrid bicycle in the garage that got a fair bit of mileage this year. I've been tempted to pull my son's old Giant road bike up from the basement but I need to find a better seat for it (the stock seat hurts my ass) and get some shoes for the clipless pedals he put on. I don't think his will fit me. He has a Norco mountain bike with him in Ottawa and doesn't seem interested in taking this one up.
0 likes
Quote by Beffer
I thought you meant horses too!

You can always rely on Beffer to be horsing around in the nude, eh.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I still have my 2005 Kaw Vulcan, it hasn't been running in a few years. I owned various harleys over the years. Nothing to write home about..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Dad has an '86 VMax . It's awesome ,makes me wet !
Hoping to start riding this summer but the course is expensive [France].
I can ride a 125 on my car licence here [I think] but for us girlies bigger is always better lol.,
0 likes
94 Honda Fireblade. ( I brought new, but still going strong.)
KTM 400 enduro bike. But the older I get, the more it hurts when I crash that one.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Well, I ride neither motorbikes nor horses, but I have a nice 18 speed hybrid bicycle in the garage that got a fair bit of mileage this year. I've been tempted to pull my son's old Giant road bike up from the basement but I need to find a better seat for it (the stock seat hurts my ass) and get some shoes for the clipless pedals he put on. I don't think his will fit me. He has a Norco mountain bike with him in Ottawa and doesn't seem interested in taking this one up.

(source and for bigger images)

Recumbent bikes with 3 or 4 wheels look nice.
0 likes
Quote by DMBFFF

Recumbent bikes with 3 or 4 wheels look nice.

The day may come when I can't ride a upright bike anymore and then I'll definitely look at a recumbent. This city just has too much good biking to not have some kind of bike. They just opened up another section of trail that would basically allow me to ride most of the way to work (but then would need to ride a fairly busy street to get to the actual building so I am not saying I will).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
The day may come when I can't ride a upright bike anymore and then I'll definitely look at a recumbent. This city just has too much good biking to not have some kind of bike. They just opened up another section of trail that would basically allow me to ride most of the way to work (but then would need to ride a fairly busy street to get to the actual building so I am not saying I will).

(wp:Recumbent bicycle)

I read recumbents might be faster.

Fuck motorcycles, cyclists have more freedom!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Jessy cycling the streets of (what I'm sure is) Hamilton at night.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
music kinda electro-soul, she's most probably cycling in Quebec

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
I have a transporter bike now.

And before that I've had a few "omafietsen" (grandma bikes) as we call them.

And before that I can't really remember.

Bikes in the Netherlands are like guns in the US: we have more bikes than residents.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
Are we talking bikes or motorcycles or horses? No matter, the answer is no. Not in the past year or more.

Mac, my poor neglected 17.2hh Percheron x Thoroughbred gelding who is boarded about ten miles from my house, hasn't had me in his saddle in over a year. He's been chartered out since February 2020, though, b/c he's an absolutely bombproof trail horse and b/c I knew, back then, that it would be a bit before I could get out to ride. Ha. I thought then that it would be a few months. Stupid me.

My bicycle, a...hybrid road something? Is a Novara, made by REI, pink and white with flowers, custom ordered so that it could be ridden by a stupidly tall woman. I'm looking at the Rad electric assisted bikes now, but only because it's a local company, they're offering huge discounts through my employer, and they're kind of cool. Please note that by "looking" I mean "reading emails from the mailing list". I'll probably end up with one of their new RadWagon bikes, because I don't drive unless I absolutely have to do so.

Motorcycles/mopeds/anything similar? Oh, Hell no. No. There's a good reason that in the medical community, motorcycle riders are referred to in various ways, but all involve those riders being imminent organ donors.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia
Motorcycles/mopeds/anything similar? Oh, Hell no. No. There's a good reason that in the medical community, motorcycle riders are referred to in various ways, but all involve those riders being imminent organ donors.

Add mobility scooters to the list: https://twitter.com/DashCamTwats/status/1358047492978401283

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
Quote by DMBFFF

cyclists have more freedom!

Oh, that's for sure. We have miles of biking/walking trails along the rivers that meet in our city's downtown and no motorized vehicles allowed (with an exemption for accessibility devices like power wheelchairs and scooters).
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia

My son used to talk about getting a motorcycle. I told him it wasn't happening on my dime or insurance policy. Now he's married so I imagine his wife will become the new voice of reason on that front.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by DLizze
Have not ridden in quite a while, but recently got a deal I could not pass up. An 86 Yamaha Virago 1100 with only 14,000 miles on it for $400.

My first bike was a 56 Harley FLH "panhead", with suicide shift. Not a good bike to learn on. :-) About six weeks after I got my lisence, I got cut off by a tractor trailer, loaded with steel. If I'd been more experoenced, I'd have aboided him, but I bailed and dropped the bike. The trailer turned it into pretzled scrap iron. My next bike was a 250 Sprint (Aeromachi/Harley Davidson). I rode it till I got out of the Navy, then sold it. Bought a 150 Lambretta Speciale, which I rode for about twenty years, then sold and got a Honda CB500-4. Sold it in 2010, when i needed to replace a dead car. So have not had a bike for the last ten years.

Looking forward to getting the Virago on the road this coming Spring. Have to rebuild the fuel system, and put a pair of tires on it.

Any other riders on here? What's your current and past rides?

1200custom HD sportster