Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

When you rate a story, is it subject matter, literary quality or both?

last reply
44 replies
3.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
The subject matter definitely draws my attention. It certainly has to be within the genre that I and my wife enjoy. But it is the fact that the author has made the time and effort to write the story along with descriptive quality and the standard of the literature that I rate it on.

Click Pegasus4's Profile (lushstories.com) to see my profile.

Click Pegasus4's Stories (lushstories.com) to see a list of my stories.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
There a bunch of things that can pull me into a story.

Personally, characters that seem like living breathing people are probably the thing that most pulls me into a story. A lot goes into that: dialogue, description, yadayadayada, but that's the main criterion.

But like that saucy Mags said above, anything can pull me in: a nice turn of phrase, an unexpected plot twist, really hot sex, a world-view that seems specific and defined and unique. Something that sets a story apart. I can forgive most grammar/spelling mistakes if the story rises above it (I make a ton of spelling mistakes myself). And I'm open to most any subject manner.
Щíccαη Щoods Щhore
Quote by Stormdog

That could be the "Yes, but you can do better" syndrome. Like when you were a kid in school and the teacher wouldn't let you skate by with less than your best effort while others got to take shortcuts, it could be that the moderator recognized that your story was solid, well-written, and had great potential, but certain errors would distract from the effort if not fixed. On another story - one of those plotless, shallow, here a fuck, there a fuck, everywhere a fuckfuck type of stories- a few mistakes don't distract as much because the typical reader's eyes are bouncing around or rolling back in their head while they jerk off anyway.

Don't get me wrong - those have a place because some readers are just looking for quick all-sex stories, and even on those we won't let them get too sloppy or careless - but if you've worked on creating characters, plot, a story arc, scene-setting, etc, why mess it up with a handful of careless, unnecessary errors? Just a thought...

For me, I definitely tend to gravitate to certain categories and story types, and to some extent, certain authors. Still, as moderators we read everything under the sun while we work on verifying stories, and I'm often surprised at how much I've enjoyed a story in a category I'd normally never read. The quality and care and thought and effort given to the story by the author make a world of difference for me.

Your help to Darkroot50 ist much an expression of the "why" story moderation can be blessing of benefit,
und not simply a scolding slap on the wrist.

Everyone who writes anything for publishing on any site should read your words here I think.

Though I seldom write erotica, but rather my Story-Poems treasuring them most often as mine alone,
I have experienced such personal interest, that you speak, from story moderators on other sites I have published offering,
wishing only to help me understand they recognize exceptional work.

Your words are definitely worthy thought, to be written as your own personal quote,
for many others to read und wonder...

Blah blah blah blah,
blah blah blah...
Stormdog (2020)
. . .♀♌TT☩✯⁂⊕⧋▽⧊ )◯( ψΨ∅ǯǮǯ∞✾❈❁✤. . .
Sexy Seductive Siren
Topic is generally first. Some topics I just have no interest in and although they might be outstanding pieces of erotic literature, I'd get nothing from reading them. My writing is the same. I'm still a novice for sure. But some categories I'll never write in and I'll never enter a comp if the theme is in those topics.

I prefer complete sentences to lots of abbreviations. Stories are not written in text code.

My background is math and physics. Give me the facts, the detail. I prefer the slow boat to China. Getting there is half the fun for me. If the story starts out along the lines of take your f*****g clothes off b****h, you're lost this reader.

While I can spell and try to proof my stories before submission, I understand that everyone makes mistakes. I do. You do. The moderators do. So I don't get hung up generally on minor grammar mistakes. Some of it might be just purposeful literary effect.

I believe if the author took the time to write and get their story published and I take the time to read their story, I owe it that author to leave a meaningful, positive review. I don't trash authors because of the way they've written their story.
Meagan
Simple Scribbler
Quote by sdsioux

You bring up an excellent point I never thought of before. Force you to comment and not respond.

Agree! Also, forcing a comment in order to score is a strategy to keep low scores from hitting their stories. I don't do this. Few leaving a low score want to comment too. I let the chips fall where they may. I want an honest reaction from readers so I can improve where needed.
Simple Scribbler
I rate based on feelings. But, I try to remember this is a human being making themselves vulnerable by putting a piece of their imagination on display. I give a lot of "encouraging" scores to first-time authors. There are so many stories, I choose based on a catchy title. Once started, I might bail if I feel nothing or if it seems like something I have read before. I am not a trained writer so I wouldnt know literary quality if it bit me on my plumpy ass. So, it is more about if it is a different take on something or makes me "feel."
Active Ink Slinger
I feel the story is the best way. We are all not professional writers and should expect a few grammatical mistakes, but if the story is well told you could over look those errors.....just my opinion..
Rookie Scribe
Quote by Dancewithme
I enjoy non-formulaic, original content, made more manifest with painstakingly perfect form. I don't think the two can be separated. When that fusion of matter and form (to use an old description) event, they can deliver a potent impression. But when both are superlative, they can transcend by "leaping off the page, and embedding themselves into the memory. That is what I hope will happen when I begin reading a piece. The famous stories I have read here, have something about them that stays with me. I believe only those who have such "talent" to deliver that now and then in their work can know the humility and very, very hard work and practice it took to deliver work like that!! I applaud them as best I can as a token of thanks for such beautiful gifts. Great work humbles me.

Difficult to say better
Active Ink Slinger
Is it the beat, the rhythm, the quality of the musicianship, or the gene of music that makes you listen to a song?

For me it is the balance between all these things. Just the same with stories, it is a mix of many things. If a story fails to keep my interest, I'll have left the page way before getting to rate it. Usually if I'm going to rate something it's going to be positive because it's got me there.

Am I going to rate a story because of factor A or B, no; I'm going to rate a story because of how it makes me feel inside.

I particularly appreciate original concepts and ideas, not just the bog standard 'boss fucks employee'/ 'uncle fucks niece' tropes. I saw one a while back which I loved written from the POV of an actual fly on the wall!

Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?

I guess firstly, I'll judge a story by the category/title. If it doesn't seem like something that will appeal, I'll give it a pass. Next, I'll check out the word count. Generally (this is just my preference) if an author can't string together at least 2K words, it's not likely to engage me. That's just to get me to click on a story.

As I start reading, an author who has absolutely no grasp on the basics of grammar and style will get me to immediately back out the way I came in. Then I look for narrative voice - does the narrator sound like someone I want to spend time with? Crafting a compelling narrative voice (i.e. the way you tell a story) matters a lot to me. Great authors spend a lot of time developing their own unique voice. Novice authors often shamelessly imitate others (look, we all started here at one point or another, so I can't really throw too much shade. Just hope they grow out of it eventually), and really shitty ones don't think about it at all. But keep in mind that the narrator is just as much a character you need to build as any other character in the story.

Speaking of which, characters need to be believable and engaging. I look for some sense of motivation behind their words and actions - why are they saying and doing these things. Do they possess a depth and interiority or is it all surface NPC behavior? Has the author been lazy in reducing motivation to basic impulses or character traits - e.g. "They were horny, so they fucked" or "He was stupid, so he fell for her tricks." - or have they worked to develop a richer and more nuanced psychology tracing the path from cause to effect (or its reverse)?

Likewise, I look for some sense of circumstances (i.e. plot) that both explain and create a sense of momentum towards the conclusion. There needs to be a clear and necessary through-line that can be drawn from the start of a story to the climax. When the conclusion seems disjointed from the rest of the plot (e.g. a story that has been about saving the whales takes a random left turn into a sex-scene without warning or explanation), it feels very jarring. Some stories just start inexplicably with sex, but it feels like an unearned reward for characters I know or care little about. And there are others that wind and meander through irrelevant details and episodes that contributed nothing to the conclusion and could have been safely cut from the final draft except the author's ego got in the way. Worst of both worlds are those that waste the readers time before making a random left turn into unearned sex. In short, I'm looking for some sort of conflict or challenge that characters need to work through to get what they want.

If a writer can do all that AND I enjoy their story (all of the above was about ways to guarantee I won't like it, but still no guarantee that I will), they may get a 'like' or comment from me.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Trust people to be themselves...

Once the scenario, dialogue and characters are fun, I'm good. I can enjoy an academy award nominated level story or a summer blockbuster 🤷‍♂️.

That said, laundry lists make me run for the hills.

My last published story: Good For Nothing

Easily amused

You can't disentangle the elements like this. Story IS subject matter IS literary merit. They all bleed into each other. It's ALL about story.

Tintinnabulation - first place (Free Spirit)
Comet Q - second place (Quick and Risqué Sex)
Amnesia - third place (Le Noir Erotique)

Living bi-cariously through Lush

There’s no formula, and it depends on the quality of writing, the familiarity with the author, the depth of emotional involvement and certainly the hotness of the buildup and the sex.

And yet it is simple. Do I like the story?

A Like is certainly more likely from me in certain genres or situations that tend to appeal to me anyway, in which I may be more willing to overlook a few flaws if I find myself getting turned on. It’s also more likely if it’s a familiar author whose works I have Liked in the past.

It’s less likely in genres that tend to be active turnoffs for me (dom/sub, ), and yet I have Liked quite a number of stories with subject matter that tends to repel me, because they were very well-written. In other words, I still like the story despite the subject matter.

The biggest deal-killer for me in terms of Liking a story is poor quality writing with significant grammatical errors (such as writing “discrete” when you mean “discreet,” a current pet peeve), repeating the same thought multiple times or using the same word for something over and over again when plenty of synonyms are available. That makes a story much harder for me to Like, though not impossible if it’s incredibly hot otherwise.

My Dirty Talk competition entry: No-Dating Policy

I get dicked by a federal agent. My top-ten Noir competition entry: Dick Job

My alliteration-addled Free Sprit competition entry: Buff Bluff in Banff

Card catalog? Hard catalog! My library