Do you hate your job?

last reply
119 replies
11.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Since this is 'The Pub', and a lot of people go to the pub after work to de-stress and unwind after a day on the job, let me ask you...

Do you hate your job? ...or do you have a boss who drives you crazy? Has the workplace (particularly in America) been getting more stressful and less secure lately? (I've been hearing this from a LOT of my American friends.)

So how 'bout it? What's the worst part of your job?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love my job.
In the past year I have been moved from the "Front Office" and given new responsibilities more into research and development.
My CEO is extremely supportive and I believe I am achieving some good results. I am virtually my own boss and can if I wish work from home as and when desirable.
The worst part is putting up with some shit from male colleagues who dont like women in management.
Lurker
0 likes
Love my job.
Chat Moderator
0 likes
I LOVE my job! I love going to work every day, being able to help people and making my little corner of the world a safer place... I meet many people who really dont like their jobs, or are constantly in fear of losing it... I have found those people tend to abuse alcohol and/or drugs... A lot of them also have stressful or bad relationships too... Worst part of my job? People assume I am like all the rest and refuse to see anything but...
characterized by intense feeling; passionate; fervent

Intensely devoted, eager, or enthusiastic; zealous

vehement; fierce burning, fiery, or hot
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I loved it once a long time ago. Then it changed. People sitting behind desks started telling me how to do my job when they had no clue what I actually did. The commute changed in the evening so that I was stuck in my car for up to 90 minutes for a 40 minute commute. I checked my bank accounts, talked to my wife and after 18 years of that job I retired. I was hoping to do 20. I'm much happier now, less income but much happier.
Lurker
0 likes
I am second in command to the site owner, running the sites as I see fit (within his basic ethos), organising, training and supporting my own moderators, and there's only about 400,000 users getting in the way and mucking the sites up- what's to hate?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was in Academia. As time went on, the area got more and more cut throat. The universities were paying less and less for new Profs., etc. I also was counter-cultural there, in that I insisted on teaching someone something, which was subtly undermined every day. I was ordered by my doctor to retire as I was so stressed he insisted I would very likely have a heart attack.

Here is a good example of what I dealt with. When Bush's people started to talk about going into Iraq, I got the data I needed from sources as reliable as one could. I gave my own government students a speech with documents and a slide show, showing the WMD were in deplorable condition even then, and openly spoke about what a major disaster it would unravel.
The head of the program said he loved the ideas and set up a 3 man round table and invited all the students in the program to come hear form us. I was the one of 3 that said, it would be disastrous to go in. The other two disagreed
About a month later, I heard indirectly that they did the same thing for the entire University but I was NOT TOLD!!!!!!!
In short, they silenced me. About 5 years ago, one of the other men on the team of 3 approached me and apologized for not taking me more seriously.
Lurker
0 likes
I love my job! I have the opportunity to work with Senior citizens everyday! The are the most fun loving, wonderful people that I have ever met! They are full of wisdom and good advice! In fact two of them are here on Lush and got me to join! Haven't figured out who they are yet but I'm working on it!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am a professor at one of the finest private Liberal Arts colleges in the nation and love every minute of it.... I never intended to go into academics, I was a Army officer and was wounded wound up in politics which led to teaching..... The energy and intelligence of young people who really want to learn gives me so much energy and renewed faith in where we are headed as a country....
0 likes
I didn't hate my job. I just hated my retail manager and general manger they were not business ethical. They played favorites......
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like my job, very challenging and frustrating at times, but those times are few and far between. I love my boss! Wait a minute, I am the boss, of course I love myself.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No, I chose it. After a few years of working for someone else and making them money with low wages, no benefits or appreciation at all. I quit and started my own firm. I pay my employees decent wages, profit sharing, with benefits and quarterly appreciation events.

Brandie
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Absolutely hate it!
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by NOLAHotGal
No, I chose it. After a few years of working for someone else and making them money with low wages, no benefits or appreciation at all. I quit and started my own firm. I pay my employees decent wages, profit sharing, with benefits and quarterly appreciation events.

Brandie

I wish more took that approach. I enjoy my job but the wages are awful.

Any openings with you for a male stud?
Lurker
0 likes
I love my job though being a freelancer has its perks and disadvantages as well. However, right now I am totally loving it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love doing my job, however hate the main boss and the senior figure heads. All I can say is the boss puts on a sweet front in public but behind the office door the boss is Dr Jekyell and Mr Hyde. The boss made me promises and insisted along with a senior figure head that I had the main role in my position. However I found out when I signed in that this other person who is wanting a promotion was given jobs that I was told I had. I would leave if I could but it is the only job I am skilled for so I stick it out.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love my job!!!... I'd be there more if I could however due to my zero hour contract and how the hours are spread out amongst the staff at my place of work, I only get a limited amount of hours sad
Mana wahine
0 likes
I love my job.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I like my job a lot, sometimes I even love it. But I wouldn't quite say that I love it overall.
Lurker
0 likes
I love my job. Owning a bookshop was my dream, come true.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
I love being retired. I have had so many jobs in the past. I actually did like some of them, and hated others. But I am loving what I do now. In retirement.
Lurker
0 likes
Nope but it has got sort of monotonous
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love my job .. i get tired. but i still love my job
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
do i hate my job? that so depends on time of day, time of week, time of year, the amount of sleep I have had and when I last saw first hand the good it does. or the quick answer.... mostly no
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
Since this is 'The Pub', and a lot of people go to the pub after work to de-stress and unwind after a day on the job, let me ask you...

Do you hate your job? ...or do you have a boss who drives you crazy? Has the workplace (particularly in America) been getting more stressful and less secure lately? (I've been hearing this from a LOT of my American friends.)

So how 'bout it? What's the worst part of your job?

Well I freelance, and work with film makers. So it depends on the people I work with, who are not a constant. But lately I've been pretty happy with the scheme of things. But this will not help you chart the trajectory of work life in the USA, since I work out of Bombay.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
When I worked I enjoyed it. I was a party planner/Executive Assistant at an Electronics firm.

I planned all their Sales Meetings and Conventions. It was a a lot of fun.

A few of the meetings were held in Disney World and were huge hits.

I do miss it.

xo
0 likes
I don't hate my job. My work is interesting and creative, and I'm constantly learning new things. I don't get too much hassle from my superiors, and have a fairly large degree of freedom. Plus I feel like I make a meaningful difference in the world in my own way.

I could stand to be paid more, though. A lot more.

Don't believe everything that you read.