Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Do you believe that there is only one true love for everyone ?

last reply
40 replies
4.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I believe love can be found in many different people. All that is required is an attraction and commonality such as likes and dislikes, interests etc. But once found, love requires commitment to be true love. So do you believe that there is only one true love for everyone?
I like the way you make me feel even when I'm nowhere near...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think love comes in many forms, I think I have found true all round love with my wife which is why we've been married for 40 years.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Anyone who has dealt with loss and recovery learns that love has many forms, if there was only one true love for them this world would be a lonely place. There are people we connect with, some there is an instant attraction, dare say a spark. We talk late into the night and watch the sun crack on the horizon. Others it is a slow build up, we suddenly see something we never saw, they never attracted us and then one day ... they said a word, share a thought, and it is a new person in front of us that we realize they are one of the most amazing people in the world.

However, as in everything love is never enough, it takes work, changes, compromises and an investment of time and selflessness. Even with the most intense connection, it will fade if not fed, even with the best relationship if you take it for granted it will one day cease to be.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The elephant in this room is the use of the word True.

Love can be found with many people, I believe. True love brings that love to a different level. It is about sharing a life together, imho. It still doesn't have to be exclusive, as I know many could who have been together a long time and who have had other lovers. I know that some have really been in love, not just in lust, and if they hadn't been in a committed relationship probably would have said they had found or could find true love with that person.

What does concern me are those who have lost their long term partner, and find that they just can't or don't want, to move on and find another committed relationship. They idolise the deceased partner, and feel that if they did "move on", they would be disloyal to his or her memory.

My brother-in-law is one such person, and after 8 years he is still often very sad and backwards looking. Am I being hard hearted or callous if I can't find it in me to constantly sympathise? I haven't yet told him to "snap out of it, get over it, and start to live again" as I know he wouldn't take it in the spirit in which I would have intended it. Was his relationship true love? or an imbalanced dependency?
Lurker
0 likes
I've had 2 boyfriends before my current husband so I don't lack complete experience there. Physically, I had never done more than hug the other past boyfriends. It never felt right. I saved my first kiss for someone I knew I wanted to marry. The other two men were controlling and on some level, abusive. I have had my heart broken. I have recovered. I thought the first was my true love only because my mind and heart felt like I needed him to be okay.

My 3rd boyfriend, who I later married, was different entirely. Before we got together, I would even have romantic dreams of us. It was as if something beyond me told me we were meant to be together and the balance of the whole universe depended on my decision to finally be in a relationship with him. I absolutely believe in a one and only true love. He's my prince that rode into my life to save me on a white, glittery, unicorn and lifted me away to his castle lol. I'm a romantic at heart and I've always had the Disney princess mentality when it came to love. I wanted to save myself for the right guy and I found him and let him have all of me. It wasn't hard to give myself over to him because my soul seemed to know it was right. He was my first everything.

I might just be crazy or something, but I can tell you that me and my husband are soul mates and I've never been happier in my whole life. We're like one person and I feel like a part of me is missing when I'm not near him. smile
0 likes
No, I believe you can still love and have someone else truly love you. I believe in soul mates, if you got together with that person, you'd be a match. If not, you could still find love and happiness with someone else. I'm not too certain that soul mates end up together so easily though. Call me crazy.
Lurker
0 likes
I think initially true love is innocent and fragile, and as it go through the time it gets matured. It is nurtured by commitment, I agree. Only then it can truly be called a true love. Isn't it ? smile
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Not at all, people come, people go, whose to say the next one will be the right one, or not. In fact you may never meet your true love, because most people find it impossible to be true !
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Melissa999
Not at all, people come, people go, whose to say the next one will be the right one, or not. In fact you may never meet your true love, because most people find it impossible to be true !

Isn't this an irony that people find it impossible to be a true lover ?
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by LusciousLushie

Isn't this an irony that people find it impossible to be a true lover ?

Some people find it impossible to be a true lover, not all. When you decide to be true and to whom makes
all the difference. You can love in many different ways, with many different people in a life time and at once.
But you don't commit to everyone you love or your commitment is limited. The one that pulls your love, commitment
and dedication, and you purposely choose to not live without, that is your true love. What makes you true
is that you make a conscious decision to protect that relationship and you sacrifice for it. That commitment
and need to protect may out last the romantic part of being in love, but true love does not allow you to
abandon them. Some people are so full of love and the ability to express it that they can have more than one at
the same time. But, you cannot serve two without loving one more.

At least that's what I think.
? A True Story ?
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl

Some people find it impossible to be a true lover, not all. When you decide to be true and to whom makes
all the difference. You can love in many different ways, with many different people in a life time and at once.
But you don't commit to everyone you love or your commitment is limited. The one that pulls your love, commitment
and dedication, and you purposely choose to not live without, that is your true love. What makes you true
is that you make a conscious decision to protect that relationship and you sacrifice for it. That commitment
and need to protect may out last the romantic part of being in love, but true love does not allow you to
abandon them. Some people are so full of love and the ability to express it that they can have more than one at
the same time. But, you cannot serve two without loving one more.

At least that's what I think.

I like the way you think!
Lurker
0 likes
What is true love? Can it be measured by the commitment you make to one person, the many times you forgive that person's mistakes and infidelities, the changes you're willing to make to please your lover, and the way you trust that person? I don't love someone because I need that person, or because that person needs me. True love and soul mate are usually linked. I found these quotes that express my understanding: "Our souls crave truth too greatly to pretend that we are only attracted to one person. The soul mate myth puts the lives of so many in limbo only to await for an illusion that never comes... You are your own soul mate. There are far too many lessons to be learned to expect one person to be the source of your ongoing evolution. It is tempting to simply try to stop this story…stop the growth…stop the change. Instead of seeing how we create the pain in our minds, it’s very tempting to think that a soul mate will make everything simply stop and in this space we will find eternal bliss. However, it is as straightforward as math to understand that 0.5 remains half since two bodies never become one. It is simple math to know that we are all part of one interconnected web of spirits and to try to break off two spirit chunks does not add up to one." (Life, Mystic. Spiritual Polyamory (Kindle Locations 433-458). iUniverse. Kindle Edition.)
0 likes
There are two elements to this:

True Love

One

The former may be possible, though difficult. Depends on the definition you use.

The latter I don't buy. Surely it is possible to have true love more than once in one's life, though it may be rarer even than "true love".
Lurker
0 likes
My personal opinion is that everyone is different at a certain age .it all comes down to the right person at the right time. We evolve as people . We have different priorities in our 20's then our 30's or 40's . So you might find true love be different in your 20's than your 40's . If you are lucky enough to evolve together this is true love and probably forever.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think Robert Heinlein had it pretty close to right when he wrote in Time Enough For Love "The more you love, the more you can love -- and the more intensely you love. Nor is there any limit on how many you can love. If a person had time enough, he could love all of that majority who are decent and just. "

That said, there is some merit to the argument that "true love" is indicated by the willingness to self-sacrifice. I can state with absolute surety that I am an example of someone who is unable to put a person ahead of my muse. Does that mean I place myself first? Not necessarily. I place music performance and the audience first. Consequently, I have played jobs when I was running a temperature over 100; I have played jobs when I was tired, both mentally and physically; I have played jobs where I drove over 100 miles and played for free. I have played outdoors in the rain, and in snow, and I have played indoors where there was not heat and the temperature was so low you could see your breath. After one of my best big band performances several years ago, I drove myself to the hospital, where I was diagnosed with pneumonia. So I would say that I did not put myself first; I made a sacrifice for the music.

MY third marriage ended because I felt so guilty taking time from us to play, that my wife said to me, "I can't let you do this to yourself any more. I am leaving you, so that you can play music without feeling guilty." I was so depressed, I nearly committed suicide, and had figured out how to do it, but couldn't get a substitute to play a job I had scheduled (and for which people had paid money for tickets), and couldn't figure out how to be sure someone would find my dog before she suffered. So, instead of hanging myself in the basement, I put on my tux, and went and played the job. Fortunately, during that performance, I had a request from someone to play in a pit orchestra for a show the following week. One job led to another, and now, seven years later, I am probably as happy, overall, as I have ever been in my life.

There is still one individual whom I love more than any others, but I know that I cannot commit to a person; I am already committed to music. There are others for whom I feel deeply - is that love? I think it is.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There are so many different loves that lead to so many different truths, yet each one can build us up just as quickly as tearing us down. By being able to continue to give your heart, a person can find many perfect true loves. Yet finding the one that will love you equally and without fail, well they are the ones that show that not only is it true love, it is also unending. I always worry that if I find such love, will I know it is actually love, or will I throw it away, afraid that it isn't. When those thoughts cross my mind, I realize that I'm surrounded by love. And no matter what comes, Love is never something that will just quit coming, in any way, shape or form.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The word 'love' is probably one of the most misused words around. "I" see it as a passionate affection for another person - not a commitment.
I have used it often, more to describe the feelings and sensations I am enjoying at that moment, or in appreciation to a person that has given me pleasure in a way I adore, eg I REALLY love/loved that. Occasionally I have told somebody I loved them, which is probably as I see it as I have described - a passionate affection.
I could never commit to one person so I do not believe I could 'love' one person more than another. I do adore one above all else, for the moment.
Making love - what is 'making love '? It is a physical union? sex? or doing something that is intimate.Where does the heart come into it, as love is usually depicted by an image of the heart. I know my heart can and does miss a beat occasionally, or beats rapidly, if I am doing something alone or with a partner which causes me extreme pleasure. It is not love - but I say I love it.
I have used it often, probably better described as 'misused' it, to describe a wonderful passionate sexual union.
A very interesting subject.
Lurker
0 likes
First of all we have to define what true love is. For me true love is unconditional love and we must be aware that the only unconditional love in the world is of a mother for her child (it's not me that claims that, it's popular psychology). Following that line of thought I would say that the only true love is that of a mother for her child...From then on we can have a variety of feelings for a certain person and for sure we may call that love. Whether it is true or not, it is a matter of interpretation and in the long run it doesn't really matter as long as it makes us happy and complete...I believe everybody has their own truth about love - for some it is committing to one person for good, for others it is falling in love in different people all the time...Who is to say what is right and what is wrong? There are people who are so affectionate that they can generate love for dozens of people and they have no problem loving several people at a time, and there are others, who can't love completely even one...Intellectually, love is an abstract concept, like happiness or joy etc...But let's not forget that the sensation we feel when happy or in love is caused by a chemical substance caused endorphine...Then, is love a chemical phenomenon? To some extent yes..It isn't by accident that when we fall for someone out of the blue we often say that this was pure chemistry.
All in all, the topic of love presents different aspects for consideration and it's always enlightening to see what people think about it ...
Lurker
0 likes
yes I do. It's all about chemistry. Your love is someone you should be happy to fall asleep with..and wake up to. No better feeling. Love
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes I believe there is A perfect soul mate for every person. However finding them is A Billion to one shot.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A lot of good thoughts on this string. I like to think that I have an open heart and that I love any number of people, but with a slightly different "version" of love for each. For me it's still a learning process...maybe a life-long process. But there is one woman that I think of more than any other when I hear the word "love". And then there are past loves, that oft-times don't feel like they are in the "past" at all. And...I have been extremely lucky in love. I've not always been a walk in the park, exactly.
“It's nice sometimes to open up the heart a little and let some hurt come in. It proves you're still alive.”
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by OldDog_BlackHeart
Yes I believe there is A perfect soul mate for every person. However finding them is A Billion to one shot.

Well I think we learn to become one perfect soul mate and once we pass that test, nature takes us to our true love. Any take to supplement this or otherwise ?
Captain Turtle
0 likes
I would say that it depends upon your definition of true love.
And whether you consider that someone who classes themselves as poly-amorous, would love all the people they love equally.
I believe there are many forms of true love and soul mate around...and yes, finding them can cause many issues for a person, be that as a friend, best friend, lover, family member (non i word)
Insert something witty here.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by StillUndecided
I believe there are many forms of true love and soul mate around...

Which type is you? smile
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Not at all. If there was only one true love then, statistically, with 7 Billion people on the planet, almost no one would find them. And if it was that unlikely, then following a normal distribution, half the people would have no true love available and half would have one of more. Love grows from imperfect beginnings, and it is in understanding those imperfections in an open way that can lead to the strongest bonds of all.

But Tim Minchin said it much better...
"If I didn't have you"
Common Sense Iconoclast
0 likes
Love can come in many forms, but I am not sure that there is just one true love.

One hears occasionally about someone in a great relationship, which then ends with an untimely death of their partner, but the survivor eventually finds another great love of their life. The two relationships are different, but equally good and satisfying, lasting to the end. When one is content, then perhaps they have found their "true love" for the time being. But, things change, people change, and true love is possible more than one time.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt" - Mark Twain (or Lincoln, or Confucius, or...)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MorePleasin
Love can come in many forms, but I am not sure that there is just one true love.

One hears occasionally about someone in a great relationship, which then ends with an untimely death of their partner, but the survivor eventually finds another great love of their life. The two relationships are different, but equally good and satisfying, lasting to the end. When one is content, then perhaps they have found their "true love" for the time being. But, things change, people change, and true love is possible more than one time.

That is me. I was married for many years, and my first husband died. We had our difficulties, and perhaps we weren't "soul mates". We certainly didn't have a perfect marriage, but we were overall happy. I think a lot of that is just getting used to each other and dealing with the things that we don't like about each other.

But with my second marriage, I can truly say that I think I have found that one true love. All I have is the comparison of my first with my second, and I am more than happy. But, would I have felt that way if I had married my current husband thirty years ago? Would he have been the same then? Would I have been the same then? Would we have clicked the same way? Who knows.

All I know is that we are right for each other today, and I hope and expect it to remain that way for all our days.
Classified
0 likes
Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
The Linebacker
0 likes
For some people there is only one great 'love of their life.' But others there may be more than one, it all depends upon what life does to one and how they respond.
Lurker
0 likes
True love creates universe of a kind where only two people exist and each accept as they are . They live the moment of being together . I always believed life is like a photo frame but not a continuous motion picture.seize what you have then think of commitments and past..