Monty Python - Did you find it funny?

last reply
90 replies
9.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Story Verifier
0 likes
If you live in the UK you will no doubt have heard that the surviving members of the Monty Python team are getting back together to do some shows next year. They had their own TV show and made some films between 1969 and 1989.

Personally, I never really got into their brand of humour. I found it quite inane as well as childish. Individually, they are quite talented and most went on to have successful careers but as Monty Python's Flying Circus I found them boring. I know that I am not alone in my opinion and recent public comments seem to bear out my opinion that most people just didn't 'get' their humour.

What do you think?
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Constant Gardener
0 likes
I thought several of their skits were hilarious when I first saw them on the only UHF television station broadcast out of my city in the mid 1970s.

I had not hit puberty at that time either, so my sense of humor was still quite juvenile. Benny Hill was funny to me then too.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
I was never a fan of the Flying Circus, but I love their films. There's moments of comedy genius in all of them.
Candyman
0 likes
Monty Python is not something those of us in the colonies understand or get the first few times watching. It took me a couple shows to understand the humor. Having said that, the movies were hilarious and a riot.
"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." Nikos Kazantzakis

Lurker
0 likes
Love the Flying Circius and the Holy Grail, and even Yellowbeard.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am a Monty Python person and I usually like other Monty Python people.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Loved it, tho a little worried about a *Comeback* - you know? A bit like going back to a place that you knew long, long ago.

The old adage.."Never go back...!"
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
I met my wife through Python LOL

Loved them ever since I stumbled across them years ago. Spent a lot of time tracking down cassettes and VHS tapes in the 90s, as they were far from common where I'm from. Now I've finally got the box set with every episode on DVD. Python is a regular part of my balanced diet.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!
0 likes
"I'm not dead yet!!!"
lmao...there is nothing as funny as british humor

I heard they may do something else..did anyone else see that on the net?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by angieseroticpen
If you live in the UK you will no doubt have heard that the surviving members of the Monty Python team are getting back together to do some shows next year. They had their own TV show and made some films between 1969 and 1989.

Personally, I never really got into their brand of humour. I found it quite inane as well as childish. Individually, they are quite talented and most went on to have successful careers but as Monty Python's Flying Circus I found them boring. I know that I am not alone in my opinion and recent public comments seem to bear out my opinion that most people just didn't 'get' their humour.

What do you think?

I don't know when you watched it, I saw it from when it started. Childish and inane, yes that was the point. It was influenced by Spike Milligan and Michael Bentine, a visualation of Goon Show humour, pure insanity. This type of humour isn't for all but then again neither is slapstick.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by thesexynun
I heard they may do something else..did anyone else see that on the net?

Yes, I saw this on the news too. They're working something new not sure when it's released though...
Lurker
0 likes
Monty python was comedic genius.
I wasn't much of a fan of the flying Circus but the Life Of Brian is still their best work in my opinion.

Can't wait to see what they have left to offer.

"He's not the messiah, he's Brian and he's been a very naughty boy"
0 likes
Big fan here, both of the show and the movies. They had that odd mix of the childish and inane with the totally absurd. They could be smart about it, but never let smarts get in the way of a good gross-out joke (witness Meaning of Life which gave us both the Galaxy Song and Mr. Creosote). Like Anastasia, I would say Life of Brian is my pick as being their best work but I also have a soft spot for Holy Grail, which was the first Python I remember seeing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was a big fan of the tv shows and the films.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I only found it funny when I was High. We always refered to it as stoner humor.kOOKF6zLbTP9PB3J Like Cheech & Chong or Harold & Kumar
Lurker
0 likes
Oh yes I do. I wasn't always into it but that is some funny stuff.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NightMan
I only found it funny when I was High. We always refered to it as stoner humor.C6mEQu6Hd2yBgwco Like Cheech & Chong or Harold & Kumar

ie. It's not funny
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Funny or no - these guys are hugely influential in comedy.
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
found it, like the closest thing in US, Rowan and Martin's Laugh In, both childishly inane and incredibly cerebral. Spam, Lumberjack, the exploding penguin and Argument are incredibly funny. BUt there was a lot of humor in The Flying Circus that was more akin to Benny Hill, which I found boring.

I thought Life of Brian was a bit too forced and obviously polemic; I liked the humor in Holy Grail much better. I think specifically the witch scene, migratory birds, knights who say "Nicht", attack rabbits, and favorite color are superb, and unmatched by anything before or since. (OOPS! I beg all my Commonwealth friend's pardon; I should have said "colour")
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've been a huge fan of them. Like so many things in life I don't know if the relapse tour will be as good as original.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I especially enjoyed Monty Python movies while under the influence of cannabis.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
I especially enjoyed Monty Python movies while under the influence of cannabis.

Passes you a fatty. I have the good stuff from Vermont.

MT created an industry and inspired a whole generation of comedians. Love or hate but that is important.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do like watching Monty python. The movies I could watch all the time. The flying circus was alright but I prefer the mvies
Lurker
0 likes
Yes, extremely entertaining to me.
Lurker
0 likes
I love when they break the 4th wall.

Lurker
0 likes
Nobody but me mentions/likes/dislikes Yellowbesrd???

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The films are the funniest films ever created, in my opinion. Life of Brian particularly, is one of the most memorable and quotable films ever.

The tv show could be hit and miss but was very, very entertaining. I'm a Lumberjack, haddock slapping and the dead parrot sketch are all classics of comedy.
Lurker
0 likes

Maybe some don't like to laugh at themselves.
Lurker
0 likes
Anybody who doesn't like python is because your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberry!