last reply
12 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Hi,

I'm new here, I signed up yesterday after writing my first story (eek!) and deciding to look up where I could publish it. I'd never had the inclination to write anything before but had a story in mind that wouldn't go away (it's actually a memory, so a true story) and found I really loved the process.

My question is, is there such as thing as an 'ideal' length when it comes to stories on here? Mine is, in the context of the wide world of erotica, probably fairly standard - girl meets guy, has a wild night with lots of sex. No themes as such - no threesomes, voyeurism etc. I'm probably not selling this but I hope people will enjoy it.

The word count is roughly 4000 words at the moment, though I'll be doing another edit before submitting. Is this too long to attract readers? There's a bit of slow build before the main events, so to speak, but I'd not want to cut that out. I could, however, split the story a bit further along and paste it in parts if people prefer that?

Any thoughts would be very welcome. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and know that ultimately readers will decide whether my story is any good or not, but I'd like to get it in the best possible shape for people to enjoy it.

Looking forward to your wise words!
Lurker
0 likes
I've been posting stories for over 10 years on a different site. I'm in the process of moving my stories to this one.

In my experience, there is no such thing as an ideal length. Some people like the slow build-up and the character development, other people want the sex to start in the 2nd sentence.

It all depends on the mood the reader is in. Are they extremely horny and just looking for something to help them reach orgasm, or do they wanted get deeply involved in the character's back story and know the protaginists great aunts cousins horse's name.

Remember this is your art, your creative outlet. Don't let people tell you the right way at the wrong way to do it to. No one told Michelangleo, Motzart, or Shakespear how to prctice their craft.

In all honesty, my stories are never what I think they'll be. I wrote one that was supposed to be 1500-2000 words 3 characters with two getting it on. It turned into a 4 part series (so far) involving 9 characters copulating in differnt groups. Nowhere clise to finished. One chapter is 9200 words.

The muse is fickle.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Thanks so much for your input, appreciate that. Hopefully as I write more I'll gain a bit more confidence. For now I feel like I'm back at school waiting for a teacher to give me my grades

Will check out your stories, good luck moving them here and hope they find an appreciative audience!
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
4000 sound just about perfect to me. Anything above 6000 might cost you a few readers. The limit here is 10,000, and I think anything above 8000-9000 is gonna look rather daunting to readers.

Good luck! The mods here (the people who verify the stories) are really helpful.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Thank you - just submitted so awaiting review.... It's about 4500 in the end, I think. Kind of weird putting something from your head into the world like that...
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I agree with Verbal. 4K wordcount is a very inviting (and not too intimidating) length for a story on a site like this. Anything over 6K and you're going to have to present a really compelling story-line to keep the readers' attention. Readers' attention span seems to be growing shorter all the time. Flash stories are growing in popularity, either because no one has time to commit to long stories, or they get bored more easily than they used to.
0 likes
Ask a 100 people get 100 opinions. So my

I have a long reading queue of stories of interest, but like interacting and RP/cyber with others, so find myself not getting to my reading queue much. When I do, my personal preference is maybe shorter single stories (1,000-2,500 words) with an occasional longer up to 4,000'ish. If it gets longer or there's multiple chapters, I lose interest and skip reading the rest.

Kinda similar in RP / cyber. I'm more into shorter-mid length sessions 25-45 mins. Others here want to go into VERY detailed RP with all the specifics on the dress, setting, mood, etc. I find myself desiring some hot fun play to get off in 30-45'ish mins, longer and more detailed than that, and it's too drawn out for my liking.

Good luck to you in your writing endeavors here.

- NiteHawk086
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
4000 is a good length, but the key to getting people to read to the end, I think, is paragraph length.
Writing quality explicit material for over eight one-hundredths of a century.

"If, after hearing my songs, just one human being is inspired to say something nasty to a friend, or perhaps to strike a loved one, it will all have been worth the while." - Tom Lehrer

"There is no such thing as good luck or bad luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation for a statistical universe." - Robert Heinlein
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The question got me curious, so I went back and looked at the "data". I've published 42 stories. The average number of words is 2728. The longest was 7392, and the shortest was 979. If you throw those two out, then the average is 2656. The funny thing is that until I went back and looked at the numbers, I would have sworn that the average word count would have been much higher.
Writing quality explicit material for over eight one-hundredths of a century.

"If, after hearing my songs, just one human being is inspired to say something nasty to a friend, or perhaps to strike a loved one, it will all have been worth the while." - Tom Lehrer

"There is no such thing as good luck or bad luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation for a statistical universe." - Robert Heinlein
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Thanks, all, for the input. My story is now published so I guess the verdict on the length (and content, of course) will be delivered by the comments and ratings...

With this one I enjoyed setting the scene, but any continuations could perhaps cut to the chase more rapidly.

Let me know if you end up reading the story, as it's my first I'm interested in feedback so I can improve next time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I read both kinds, country and western... no seriously, flash or war and peace novels, if it hits on my favorite topics i'll read it, some people are put off by longer stories I've noticed in comment sections ( well not here, other places ) mostly because people are mean.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
The most optimal number is 1000 characters.
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
Quote by jamieereynoldss
The most optimal number is 1000 characters.

100 words can be all you need...

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/practice-makes-perfect.aspx

Or

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/a-pizza-the-action.aspx

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx