Login

Things to do in New Orleans...

last reply
28 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
I'm going to a conference in New Orleans in March and should have a couple free evenings (a Tuesday and Wednesday). Days are pretty much shot due to the heavy agenda of the conference. I'm not much of a dancer, so nightclubs aren't my thing. Given that we're talking New Orleans and I do like jazz and blues, maybe a good bar or club where I can hear some local talent? Any thoughts from Lushies who've been or live there?
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
I've been to New Orleans a few times as I have family there. The Bourbon Street thing is a tad overrated. And you won't have much fun outside of getting drunk in public. Try the French Quarter instead...hit up the sights. Canal Street too, as Well as Magazine Street if you're close to that area. Take the trolley if you can. You HAVE to go to Cafe du Monde and get some beignets and coffee...you just have to. And hit up the local eateries, no names come to mind immediately, but just ask around, and you won't be disappointed. And don't do yourself the disservice of simply ordering a burger...you can eat a burger anywhere. Try the most intimidating looking thing on the menu, it may turn out to be the most amazing. And also, go to a Popeye's. Even if they have a Popeye's where you are, I guarantee you it's a bagillion times better in Louisiana. Go shopping. Get cheesy souvenirs. Enjoy your trip!

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

0 likes
I love cajun and creole food so I'm not too worried about finding food down there or being intimidated. Marrying someone from China has largely killed any risk of any food intimidating me (okay, I'm still a bit iffy on the grilled tarantulas that they have in Cambodia but will likely give them a shot if we ever go since my brother-in-law liked them). Beignets and coffee sounds great. Must look and see where that cafe is located.

Funnily enough, Popeyes only just came to London, Ontario (and, I assume, Ontario in general) within the last year or two. We've gone from 0 Popeyes to 3 in probably 12-18 months. To be honest, I've never eaten there, even on my jaunts to the States.

I've been to New Orleans once (for the same conference, which kind of bounces around various convention facilities in the South) but didn't get out much. Boss was with me and we had dinner with some business associates on one of the nights (did walk down Bourbon after dinner, though). This time I'm on my own and have more open time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was born in New Orleans and grew up in south Louisiana. There are some fun places to go in the French Quarter, avoid the tourist trap type places and find some local hole in the wall. You'll enjoy the experience. Eat at a different restaraunt for every meal if possible. Maspero's is a good one to start with, and it's right on Canal St. (if memory serves). I agree with Slippery, Cafe du Monde' is a must. Beignets and chicory coffee. I don't know your budget but a few other restaurants of worth.... Mandina's, Antoine's, Galatoire's, Commander's Palace.

Lots of great Jazz music to be heard, you won't be disappointed.

Eat some gumbo. Chicken and sausage gumbo is best for newbies to cajun cuisine, seafood gumbo is delish, duck and andouille gumbo is for the true fan. Boiled crawfish are in season, give 'em a try. They're delicious, and don't forget to suck the heads! Etouffee, fricasse, shrimp stew, New Orleans style bbq shrimp is worth the try (although not my favorite). Have a fried catfish poboy.

Ride a Riverboat on the Mighty Mississippi. Ride the trolley on St. Charles Ave, the houses and architecture are amazing.

I have too much in my head, I'll come up with more if you like.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Lurker
0 likes
I'm not from New Orleans, but love going there - I'll second one of the earlier responders that you MUST go to dafe dumonde - the experience along the coffee and beignets are a must do for breakfast when you're there. I can't help you much on the clubs, but I always enjoy the people watching in the quarter and you can always find some great music - just follow what sounds good to you. Have fun!
Clever Gem
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister
I was born in New Orleans and grew up in south Louisiana. There are some fun places to go in the French Quarter, avoid the tourist trap type places and find some local hole in the wall. You'll enjoy the experience. Eat at a different restaraunt for every meal if possible. Maspero's is a good one to start with, and it's right on Canal St. (if memory serves). I agree with Slippery, Cafe du Monde' is a must. Beignets and chicory coffee. I don't know your budget but a few other restaurants of worth.... Mandina's, Antoine's, Galatoire's, Commander's Palace.

Eat some gumbo. Chicken and sausage gumbo is best for newbies to cajun cuisine, seafood gumbo is delish, duck and andouille gumbo is for the true fan. Boiled crawfish are in season, give 'em a try. They're delicious, and don't forget to suck the heads! Etouffee, fricasse, shrimp stew, New Orleans style bbq shrimp is worth the try (although not my favorite). Have a fried catfish poboy.

Ride a Riverboat on the Mighty Mississippi. Ride the trolley on St. Charles Ave, the houses and architecture are amazing.

You are the only thing i'd do in new orleans!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by crazydiamond

Can't we share?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by crazydiamond

Quote by Nikki703

Can't we share?

I am most definitely down with this sharing option. To hell with the Cajun cuisine, we can eat after we....

Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister

Oh yes, Commander's Palace is an absolute MUST...if it's in your budget. It's quite expensive...prepare to spend at least $100.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Clever Gem
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister

I am most definitely down with this sharing option. To hell with the Cajun cuisine, we can eat after we....

I'll taste the Cajun!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister

. I rather think the girls were thinking you'd be too busy eating them....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister

Quote by crazydiamond

I'll taste the Cajun!

I'll taste it too!! It would be such a treat for this "PoBoy" !! HAHA
Lurker
0 likes
Mmm....Newfie is my favourite flavour!
Clever Gem
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

(dirty bitch)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Iain69
. I rather think the girls were thinking you'd be too busy eating them....

They both know I'd spend plenty of quality time eating at the Y.

Quote by crazydiamond

I'll taste the Cajun!

Better come with an empty stomach, then.

Quote by Nikki703

I couldn't agree more!

Clever Gem
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister

I couldn't agree more!

DIRTY BITCH

Oi cajun You know i would not have you any other way !!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
cafe du monde for beignets and chicory coffee jackson square for a painting and free music trite but a must... pat of briens's for hurricanes....and the dual piano's

but there is a tiny little restaurant across from the distillary(or used to be a million years ago) that serves the BEST crawfish gumbo in the world...ask a local

there is nothing that is not super fun there

also ff they still do them a paddleboat ride takes you right back to hoop shirts and bourbon poured long and slow

lordy i love this town!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lots of great suggestions, I would also consider a jazz dinner curise on the river and Mother's restaurant. Have a great time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LusciousLola
Lots of great suggestions, I would also consider a jazz dinner curise on the river and Mother's restaurant. Have a great time.

Mine eyes doth deceive me!!! Welcome back, Lola!! Damn good to see ya!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by blazestcyr
cafe du monde for beignets and chicory coffee jackson square for a painting and free music trite but a must... pat o'briens's for hurricanes....and the dual piano's

but there is a tiny little restaurant across from the distillary(or used to be a million years ago) that serves the BEST crawfish gumbo in the world...ask a local

there is nothing that is not super fun there

also ff they still do them a paddleboat ride takes you right back to hoop shirts and bourbon poured long and slow

lordy i love this town!!!

Yes, Pat O's is a good stopping place too.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
sigh dont you all want a lush conference there!!!! best city besides london i think..sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Ragoo's is a fun flirty club smile there is a great "private" bar just near too. Emeril's is a fantastic restaurant and don't forget to barter in the French Market.
0 likes
Quote by blazestcyr
sigh dont you all want a lush conference there!!!! best city besides london i think..sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

A lush conference sounds a helluva lot more fun than the one I'm going to.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister

Could you handle three and make it a real event?
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Beignets at Cafe du Monde.
0 likes
Go to Bourbon street. Try their jamablya or any Cajun style food
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Over near Cafe du Monde there is a little grocery store that has a deli and makes authentic Muffaletta called Central Grocery. Make sure you stop in there for lunch.