last reply
26 replies
3.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Obese passenger

I dont think that overweight people should pay more for one seat, but I do think there should be weight restrictions for one chair.

For example 120kg seems fair, if you are over that you need to buy a second chair.

What do you guys think?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hmmm i think i agree with that. But then again what would happen if a pregnant woman came on?
Plus.. can you picture everyones faces as they get weighed?
0 likes
They give tall people extra leg room by seating them near the emergency exits. Maybe they should allow similar provisions for overweight people.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes!
Lisa has a point there, they cant start labelling everyone into little categories.
Plus the money that is charged wouldnt exactly be used for fun purposes would it?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by suburbgirl_x
Hmmm i think i agree with that. But then again what would happen if a pregnant woman came on?

Welcome to the forums suburbgirl!

Pregnant women usually fit into economy chairs, no?

But I wish they would ban the whole story of letting parents have their small children on their lap.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Oneline
Quote by suburbgirl_x

Welcome to the forums suburbgirl!

Pregnant women usually fit into economy chairs, no?

But I wish they would ban the whole story of letting parents have their small children on their lap.

Hey, thanks Oneline. Its a lovely community round here haha.
Yeah come to think of it they do..
But some woman who are pregnant, dont look it? Well... i guess if they dont look it they wouldnt weigh more.
Yes, i do ramble on hhaha.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In the picture in the link that man should pay for 2 seats and should be sitting in 2 seats. You shouldn't have to pay for 2 unless you use them both. And sadly many people would fill up 2 seats, at least.
Forget who you thought I was, I'm The Chris J bitch!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
They give tall people extra leg room by seating them near the emergency exits. Maybe they should allow similar provisions for overweight people.

When the heck have they ever done this NEVER for me I've always got my long legs bunched up. I think a lot of the problem is the airlines having planes with such tiny seats with no leg room because they are trying to pack us all in there to make more money. I fit in the seat just fine but the legs don't. Worked to my advantage last March flying to P.R. sat between the hubby and a great big hunk of a man who was a sports scout. He spilled into my seat a tiny bit but I didn't mind that one at all! LOL
Bunny12

Bunny Rabbits cute and fuzzy they want to love you but they have razor sharp teeth - don't piss them off!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A pregnant woman is not permitted to fly during her third trimester unless she has a doctors certificate.

Being pretty darn tall, I must think of the best way to travel. Taking trains half my shins and feet stick out into the aisle of a sleeper car, on a plane I have to sit sideways to accommodate my knees and be aware of the person in front of me if they want to have their chairs reclined back for comfort (at times, yes I am one of those people who have my knees in your back and for that I apologise greatly!). Airlines do not always give me an emergency exit seat, or a seat near an emergency exit. And on some airlines I must pay extra for requesting the emergency exit seat.

My brother in law, he is six foot 11, and weighs upwards of 140kg, and to look at him he is well... he looks like an athletic man. I disagree that he would have to pay extra because he is over a certain weight class. On a second thought, what if ICAO decided to change the weight categories internationally? Then almost anyone from a western country would be considered obese. And then provisions would have to be made and allowances made for summer as the overall weight of a person is less than that of one in the winter due to baggage, winter wear and boots. And if there were seating that made allowances for people such as that man in the photograph, would not the same issues of safety be brought up? Being caught in the aisle in the event of an emergency?
Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Quote by Woman
A pregnant woman is not permitted to fly during her third trimester unless she has a doctors certificate.

Not true ..most will take you up to 4 weeks to go without cert ...unless multiple or problems
0 likes
Quote by Bunny12
Quote by Lisa

When the heck have they ever done this NEVER for me I've always got my long legs bunched up. I think a lot of the problem is the airlines having planes with such tiny seats with no leg room because they are trying to pack us all in there to make more money. I fit in the seat just fine but the legs don't. Worked to my advantage last March flying to P.R. sat between the hubby and a great big hunk of a man who was a sports scout. He spilled into my seat a tiny bit but I didn't mind that one at all! LOL

You have to request that particular seat. We got that position all the way to England and back last year. Same as the person sitting with us on the way back. He was a tall man and he'd requested the same thing.
Lurker
0 likes
They usually also keep those seats for people with children, give the little tots more place to move.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The two best answers I've heard are:

1. Give the overweight passenger two seats, and charge him/her for both of them (extra cost to be refunded if the plane leaves with open seats still available).

2. Make available, a couple special "bench" seats with no armrests. These seats to be reserved for "special needs" passengers, for an extra cost.

Planes cost money to fly. Extra weight takes more fuel to the engines. If one person takes up the space that would normally seat two paying passengers, then I have no problem with that person paying two fares. Matter of fact, there have been times when I've been squeezed in-between people so tightly that I would have been happy to pay an extra fare to have an empty seat next to me! (LOL)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MrNudiePants
The two best answers I've heard are:

1. Give the overweight passenger two seats, and charge him/her for both of them (extra cost to be refunded if the plane leaves with open seats still available).

2. Make available, a couple special "bench" seats with no armrests. These seats to be reserved for "special needs" passengers, for an extra cost.

Planes cost money to fly. Extra weight takes more fuel to the engines. If one person takes up the space that would normally seat two paying passengers, then I have no problem with that person paying two fares. Matter of fact, there have been times when I've been squeezed in-between people so tightly that I would have been happy to pay an extra fare to have an empty seat next to me! (LOL)

Okay, so today I cross a line and agree with something Nudie says. Lord help me.Z6LHRQSMzQ4ntZXf
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't really need two seats for sitting but have to admit I love sleeping across them especially on long flights.
My trick is to avoid peak periods like x-mas/easter and the whole summer altogether and maybe I was just really lucky so far, but 95% of the time I managed to do it (and I do travel a lot)
I do agree, that there is a safety issue with obese ppl sitting at the overwings. A few weeks ago I've seen this guy forcing himself into one of those seats (the air hostess actually told him that the plane is only half full so he should sit somewhere else where he can fold away the armrest (they were fixed in those rows) and be more comfortable but he said he was fine there) So he sat down with his lard pushed up to his underarm by the armrests...
I looked at his size and then the size of the exit and made a note of the blocked exit, in case we had to evacuate.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Annie_S
A few weeks ago I've seen this guy forcing himself into one of those seats (the air hostess actually told him that the plane is only half full so he should sit somewhere else where he can fold away the armrest (they were fixed in those rows) and be more comfortable but he said he was fine there) So he sat down with his lard pushed up to his underarm by the armrests...
I looked at his size and then the size of the exit and made a note of the blocked exit, in case we had to evacuate.

That, Little Darlin', is why they should allow chainsaws onboard airplanes...
Lurker
0 likes

Chainsaw? Nah, I'm only 5'4" but I'd hit that fatfucker like a linebacker for the Cowboys and he'd be out the side of the plane in a flash making a bigger hole for all of us.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen

Chainsaw? Nah, I'm only 5'4" but I'd hit that fatfucker like a linebacker for the Cowboys and he'd be out the side of the plane in a flash making a bigger hole for all of us.

LMAO
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Lurker
0 likes
What's the difference between a heavier person with no baggage, and a thin person with heavy baggage? They both use the same amount of fuel.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
What's the difference between a heavier person with no baggage, and a thin person with heavy baggage? They both use the same amount of fuel.

Oh, that's easy to answer. One of them does not have their folds of excess blubber spilling over onto my lap as I try to endure my 7 hour flight!!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by roccotool

I used to work on the flight line (some years ago), and in my job, I had quite a lot of contact with the Operations staff of several of the major airlines. Back then, they just allotted a standard number of pounds to each passenger when figuring up the total weight for a certain flight. IIRC, they all used somewhere around 200 pounds for each passenger. The light passengers (under 200 lbs) would balance out the heavy passengers (over 200 lbs). They weighed in all the baggage and freight to get things as close to realistic as possible. The figures are important for a lot of reasons.

First off, there's a set limit a particular model of aircraft can weigh, and still be airworthy.

Second, they know how much fuel a particular trip will take. They also know that a heavier plane will take more fuel. They try to keep the plane as light as possible, so they try to carry just enough fuel to make the trip, plus a certain amount over for a safety margin in case they get re-routed to an alternate airport.

Third, fuel costs vary from airport to airport. They want to buy fuel from where it's cheaper. They also want to keep the planes as light as possible, so they're the most economical to fly. The pilot has the final say in how much fuel to take on for his trip. He's always going to err on the heavy side, up to the limit of the plane. If the cargo and passengers weigh too much, and his fuel load would make the plane too heavy, he'll order freight or baggage off the plane. At the same time, if he orders too much fuel, he makes the plane heavier, and the plane burn that much more fuel, costing the company money. If the trip costs too much money, the company will have words with the pilot...

All that aside, if a passenger is visibly overweight, then the gate agents and the air crew will have their hands full trying to balance his/her needs with the comfort of the rest of the passengers, moving people around like playing musical chairs. Any moves they make have to be documented due to FAA regulations - the manifest HAS to list each passenger with his/her correct seat assignment, for "just in case" and "next of kin" reasons.

Making a plane go from point A to point B involves a whole technological ballet of people and equipment that doesn't show on the surface.
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Quote by Oneline
Obese passenger

:

Umm Not so sure thats a genuine unretouched pic ... beside being wide ..he must be at least 8'6" tall
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
While I am by no means overweight, I am a very broad shouldered person, when I do get stuck in a middle seat on a flight, not only am I uncomfortable, but the people next to me have to deal with my shoulders taking up some of their space as well. Airlines should reserve a bank of seats on each flight for "common sence moves"
So I say, “Live and let live.” That’s my motto. “Live and let live.” Anyone who can’t go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker. It’s a simple philosophy, but it’s always worked in our family. George Carlin
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
While I am by no means overweight, I am a very broad shouldered person, when I do get stuck in a middle seat on a flight, not only am I uncomfortable, but the people next to me have to deal with my shoulders taking up some of their space as well. Airlines should reserve a bank of seats on each flight for "common sense moves"
So I say, “Live and let live.” That’s my motto. “Live and let live.” Anyone who can’t go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker. It’s a simple philosophy, but it’s always worked in our family. George Carlin
Smiley Guru
0 likes
The solution isn't bigger seats...it's smaller doors!

Airline seating is always such a crap shoot I can imagine, the conversation....

Passenger: You have my two seat reservations?
Ticket Agent: Yes sir right here. You are in seats 17B and 24D!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Playmale
The solution isn't bigger seats...it's smaller doors!

genius.
Lurker
0 likes
That's fascinating info, Nudie. Thanks. I like an "inside look" at things like that.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
That's fascinating info, Nudie. Thanks. I like an "inside look" at things like that.

Me too. I agree with Rocc, it was interesting. Thanks.