last reply
28 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
http://www.apple.com/ipad/

I think Amazon are not going to like the Kindle competition with this offering, starting at $499.

Looks like one huge iPhone to me. I'll see if I can get a sample through work

Buy books online from this thing, and read them on the big display - could have major implications for the Publishing Industry:

Lurker
0 likes
I could see some lush addictions taking off with that little device.36zveZVaACe163Z9
Matriarch
0 likes
I believe it's a waterproof screen, so they should be ok
Lurker
0 likes
I heard it's good for reading ebooks and games.

What do you gals think of it being called an iPad?
Lurker
0 likes
honestly ... seems cool! not sure how it would do with my long nails though .... and I hate the smudges on my cell phone as is!

but per Nic's comment - I love paper ... I love the written word, turning a page, the beauty of a page illustrated, the feel of a great book in my lap ... and then, giving my books to someone else who will enjoy it - and keeping my favourites with my ever-increasing home library.

Don't you love the look of a bookcase filled with treasured books??

I do!
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by roccotool

I heard it was a flip up between that, and the iTampon.
Lurker
0 likes
I agree Van. Nothing beats the look and feel of a good book. I have a few treasures that were pronted in the early 1920's and 30's and I love to think that someone long ago, read and touched the same pages as I have.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Quote by roccotool

I heard it was a flip up between that, and the iTampon.

...and yet another sci-fi gadget becomes a reality. Oh well, I guess the desk top PC's days are numbered.
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

honestly ... seems cool! not sure how it would do with my long nails though .... and I hate the smudges on my cell phone as is!

but per Nic's comment - I love paper ... I love the written word, turning a page, the beauty of a page illustrated, the feel of a great book in my lap ... and then, giving my books to someone else who will enjoy it - and keeping my favourites with my ever-increasing home library.

I do!

I can't wait for a full color Kindle type device, not sure the iPad is that device yet though, as it sounds pretty dependent on Apple for apps and content.

I hate books, hate the feel of paper on my fingers, I hate the smell of ink, don't like reading paper books at all. I do, but I loath it. I much prefer books in PDF form, but I don't like reading on my PC or Blackberry... can't wait for a full color ebook reader (with the freedom of a PC, I'm not a mac fan). ;)

In order to know virtue, you must first become acquainted with vice.
- Donatien Alphonse Francois de Sade

-------
En vis mann slår aldri en hund i klubben med en stokk, fordi hunden vil vende rundt og biter mannens ballene av.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
While I could never use it for reading fiction (I love curling up all snuggly with a paperback in bed)...

I wonder if it would make college textbooks cheaper? Some books I'd still like the paper copy for, but the books I know I'm only going to use that semester? It has definite possibilities. And think about how much lighter my backpack would be!
Right there. Oh yeah baby. Right there.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Jezziebelle
While I could never use it for reading fiction (I love curling up all snuggly with a paperback in bed)...

I wonder if it would make college textbooks cheaper? Some books I'd still like the paper copy for, but the books I know I'm only going to use that semester? It has definite possibilities. And think about how much lighter my backpack would be!

I think it would be great for this... for texts you HAVE to have, but don't really want to pay the hundreds of dollars for. That said, for me, the computer or Kindle will NEVER replace a real book. Real books don't need batteries. You don't have to p;lug them in. You can take them anywhere except underwater. There's something... romantic about a real book. Real words on real paper. Electronic memories aren't real, they can be erased or edited. Once something is set down in black and white, it's there forever. If a time ever comes when they try to shove all the "controversial" ideas down the memory hole, real bound books will be our only hope for salvation.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MrNudiePants
Quote by Jezziebelle

I think it would be great for this... for texts you HAVE to have, but don't really want to pay the hundreds of dollars for. That said, for me, the computer or Kindle will NEVER replace a real book. Real books don't need batteries. You don't have to p;lug them in. You can take them anywhere except underwater. There's something... romantic about a real book. Real words on real paper. Electronic memories aren't real, they can be erased or edited. Once something is set down in black and white, it's there forever. If a time ever comes when they try to shove all the "controversial" ideas down the memory hole, real bound books will be our only hope for salvation.

Plus as a history major, think about how fucked historians are going to be in the future. Now we look back and read letters and journals written by people, like James Madison or John Adams. So what happens when Barack Obama or some other important fiugre decide to keep an electronic journal and only send e-mails and books aren't published the same way.... Historians will have very little to look back at that is non-digital, and like you said, digital can be deleted, changed, edited.... *sigh*
Right there. Oh yeah baby. Right there.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by MrNudiePants

=d>
Lurker
0 likes
No, I don't think a tampon would be the iPad. It would be an iCram®.
Matriarch
0 likes
300K sold on the first day apparently. That's not bad business.

It's amazing all this hype over an oversized iPhone, tech freaks will buy anything (I want to play too ).
Lurker
0 likes
Yes I am a geek freak. And yes I have been using Apple products for 25 years. My house is fully wired, I have three WiFI routers and two separate high-speed broadband connections coming into my house. There are 3 17-inch Powerbooks, A G5 tower, a Mac mini that I use as a media server and network hub, 3 iPhones, two touches, and a PC tower running Windows that I test webstuff on. It was inevitable that I would be getting one of these iPads.

All of that being said. One of my publishers called me three weeks ago asking me begin working on (illustrating) a Children's book for this device. My publishers are no small time players. They laughed at Sony's offering. They were intrigued by the Kindle but could not fully wrap their head around it. None of them would ever read a book on the computer. The project manager, who I do work with said "When the iPad hit our boardroom and we paged through the interface, and the digital books, they said 'This is it.' Then one of the board members said an interesting thing. "The iPhones were a training device. Millions and millions of users who will know how the iPad works without ever having laid hands on one -- little to no leaning curve. They have been pre-schooled by cultural meme." As conspiratorial as that might sound, That pretty much clinched the deal for the publishers who after watching the nuclear meltdown of the music industry where anxious not to let this happen to them.

My wife, who is a book junkie as well as a chronic "TV-on while sitting in front of the laptop googling" echoed this comment. She understood right away what the implications meant and it had nothing to do with her iPhone. My six year old who plays "Pocket god" on my iPhone will get it too.

The device also has broad implications for independent publishers. The Apple iPad app for reading books is based on open source epub standards. This means anybody can publish written content to this machine. The Apps are controlled by Apple but the content is controlled by who ever is publishing it.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

I do!

LOL, the first thought that entered my head after seeing the iPad was just that. Having my fingerprints all over it is going to drive me nuts!
Matriarch
0 likes
Interesting NobeUddy.

What do you typically write?
Lurker
0 likes
I commute a fair distance and this would be ideal because I always fill my back pack up with books...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Interesting NobeUddy.

What do you typically write?

I write very little. I Illustrate children's books (amongst other things; illustration for advertising etc.) I have written a children's book that I also illustrated, but it was self-published. Mostly my writing is ... under developed, but improving.

I sit on the boards of two small publishing companies. And I have a LOT (25 years worth) of contacts with project managers, creative directors, art directors and other people within the publishing realm (mostly from the production / marketing side.)

My erotica is an exercise in discipline. (No pun intended) I think I have a OK style or voice. But my writing discipline is all over the place. Verbose, rambling, indulgent.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

I do!

I do too! I love my books! I only read lush stories online actually everything else is on paper.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
300K sold on the first day apparently. That's not bad business.

As usual, big companies race to get the product out by the due date, regardless of flaws and all. Here is a quote from an news article that I read today.

Apple may be forced to recall their brand new iPad after thousands of users have complained they cannot use their tablet computers to connect to the internet.

This has rendered many of the features of the $499 device useless.

Hundreds have posted comments on Apple's website saying they cannot get a wi-fi signal and that they are having problems re-charging the battery and uploading applications.

Others complained that their devices were overheating and the screen was showing a message that read: 'iPad needs to cool down before you can use it'.

Lurker
0 likes
Personally myself I love to read a good book I just don't like reading stuff on a computer that much yeah sure I come to Lush to read short stories and go to various forums to read the posts but anything as long as a book no give me pen and paper thank you very much. As said nothing like the smell of the paper and just the feel of the pages and the sound of them as you trun each page. Just me I think it's nothing more than a new toy is all. And the other point I HATE FINGER PRINTS on an LCD screen annoys the living shit out of me.
Matriarch
0 likes
If anyone is thinking of buying one, I'd seriously wait at least 3 months until all the live field testing is done.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Why anybody buys new technology stuff when it first comes out is beyond me. Its always super expensive and lots of times it doesnt work right yet. My friend got an iphone when it first came out- piece-0-crap, lol. I have one now, not one problem, and for less $$$ too.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LadyX
Why anybody buys new technology stuff when it first comes out is beyond me. Its always super expensive and lots of times it doesnt work right yet. My friend got an iphone when it first came out- piece-0-crap, lol. I have one now, not one problem, and for less $$$ too.

I agree. I also don't understand why people need to spend the night waiting outside a store to be the first or one of the first to get their hands on something.UX5FFjSgv9jwE5BQ

I have one of the e-Ink based readers. It's not a touch screen and I find that it is really easy on the eyes. It's as close to looking like paper as you'll find right now. It comes in a folder kind of case so you can hold it like a book and page advance button rests right underneath your thumb.