Would You Go To Outer Space?

last reply
65 replies
4.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Baked Orange
0 likes

I don't think I could. I think I'm missing that fundamental curiosity to push limits. I'm quite mellow.

Just looking at the ocean on Google Earth freaks me out.

Would you do it? Like those people that volunteered to start a colony on Mars. I watched a few interviews when that hype was going on, extrenuously qualified people talkin 'bout doin it for science 'n shit. Or would you just be 'Round The World in Eighty Minutes' and back?

As an aside, do y'know there's still trash on the Moon from us landing there and leaving gear in the sixties? We littered. On the Moon.
0 likes
As a longtime s-f, space exploration, and astronomy buff, I'd love to. The views of Earth from space, the incredible vistas of other worlds we've seen from various probes and landers, are all very inspiring to me and to see them in person would be magnificent.

Realistically, I'm 54 going on 55 and not in terribly good shape (hypertension, diabetes, arthritis) so not likely at this point. Virgin Galactic would be the only launch system I could probably tolerate and I don't have that kind of coin. They aren't going to be full orbital to start anyhow, IIRC.

As for the trash on the moon, let's not forget the abandoned, no longer operational rovers on Mars (Vikings, Opportunity, etc.). The moon is worse due to us having actually sent humans there, but there are remnants of our presence, albeit minimal, elsewhere. In fact, the most worrisome ones are the ones cluttering up Earth orbit.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Maybe I already have. Maybe I know where all the 'worm holes' are. Maybe I'm an alien from another planet.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Mh...Lemme think...

As the kind of guy who writes space Christmas Lush stories (shameless plug in), and has this as a desktop background.

HELL. YES.

I am not excited about space travel (just) as some abstract way to further "mankind's progress" or a Final Frontier or whatever conceptualization people come up with. I would give pretty much everything (though I don't have that much to give up) to *be* there. The very thought that there are literally billions of worlds out there. A universe of beauty, knowledge and ugliness not only untouched but so foreign as to be unfathomable? I want to see everything, and the void too. So what if we can only crawl to LEO, the Moon or Mars, two steps from the door and onto the driveway? Someone else needs us to, so they can start walking further.

Unfortunately for me I didn't know all that as a kid and I never tried my hardest in maths. But who knows, maybe one day they'll really start sending poets...That's not a dream I'll ever be ready to give up on.
'tis himself!
0 likes
I used to want to be on the first colony starship, but [a] I'm too old and creaky for that, and it's not happening in my lifetime anyway.

But would I go on a trip to space? LEO? ISS? The Moon? Fuck, yes!
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Maybe I already have. Maybe I know where all the 'worm holes' are. Maybe I'm an alien from another planet.

Explains a lot, really.

(I'm now working on a new s-f script: Planet of the Dawgs. It's set on a strange alien world populated by intelligent, football-playing canines).
Lurker
0 likes
Yes, but not with humans. I'd go the Richard Dreyfus way - with those that gets a billion light years to the gallon.

Pegging. Anal probing. What's the difference?
Prolific Writer
0 likes
No...

I’d be terrified.

Hugs,
Mysteria
Mana wahine
0 likes
I go space every time I smoke
Lurker
0 likes
In a heart beat. I’ve always been a big astronomy buff and when my son was little we’d always plan trips to the moon and Mars after a night of telescope use in our back yard.
Baked Orange
0 likes
Seeker, I agree. People [I]are[/I] trash. Though you said it in not as many words. And I'm sure Buz could fill you in on the facts so you get the details of that story right.

Quote by LeCygneNoir
maybe one day they'll really start sending poets...

They'd be insane not to. Artists suffer humanity, but humanity would truly suffer without artists.

Ping, there is, indeed, no difference. On the receiving end.

Laura. I've been living in a box, and you just lifted the lid.
I [I]have[/I] been to space.

And Rose, that's awesome. I don't want to be in outer space, but I fucking love looking at it. Telescopes are so much fun.
living dead girl
0 likes
Quote by TangerineSky

I don't think I could. I think I'm missing that fundamental curiosity to push limits. I'm quite mellow.

Just looking at the ocean on Google Earth freaks me out.

Would you do it? Like those people that volunteered to start a colony on Mars. I watched a few interviews when that hype was going on, extrenuously qualified people talkin 'bout doin it for science 'n shit. Or would you just be 'Round The World in Eighty Minutes' and back?

As an aside, do y'know there's still trash on the Moon from us landing there and leaving gear in the sixties? We littered. On the Moon.

All i need is weed and glow in the dark plastic stars on my ceiling and walls
and ground control to major Tom.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Sure! My boobs will never sag in space!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes beam me up Scotty
Baked Orange
0 likes
Quote by vanessa26

All i need is weed and glow in the dark plastic stars on my ceiling and walls
and ground control to major Tom.

MotherfuckingDavidBowieReferences. Do you know what you do to me, woman?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've been threatened with one way trips.
Lurker
0 likes
Will I need a boarding pass for the Mothership?
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I've wanted to go into outer space for a while now so I definitely would. With space tourism being a possibility and hopefully less expensive in the future, I'd sign up right away.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
In a heartbeat. For a few orbits, or for the rest of my life, living on the moon or Mars. I dream about space, and daydream about space, often, and have ever since I was a little kid.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I would go without any kind of hesitation.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Absolutely!!! When I was a kid, all I wanted to be was an Astronaut, I can't wait until they get the bugs worked out of the private flights and space hotels and hope they're not too expensive lol biggrin

Mmmm imagine having sex in weightlessness... Floating... Arms and legs intertwined... hands sliding over each others smooth bare skin... grabbing... pullling... thrusting... grinding... breasts floating weightless... easily spinning in the air to change positions...
Hmmm pulling her down on to my shaft and spinning her on it ;-)

I'll need a partner if anyone wants to explore the erotic mysteries of space with me... but Yes, Yes, Yesssss where do I sign? :D