The Official Olympics Thread: Sochi 2014

last reply
135 replies
9.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
how much sex are the athletes having in Sochi? Beautiful, in their prime, lots of testosterone .... It's got to be good.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like to watch figure skating, even though I know nothing about it.
I watched ski jumping yesterday and it makes me always wonder, who is crazy enough to ski of a ramp and believe he can fly. I once stood at the top of one and it scared the shit out of me.

Btw Germany won! Go Adler!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Has anyone ever been down a bobsled track? It looks like so much fun! This has to go on my bucket list (obviously at a very non-Olympian level. lol)

And... congrats to the North American women for sweeping the podium in the women's event today!
Lurker
0 likes
its very slippery slopes in Sochi
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Pussy Riot were whipped at Sochi by the police today.

How dare they stage a peaceful protest!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Pussy Riot were whipped at Sochi by the police today.

How dare they stage a peaceful protest!

I just saw this on the news - what the fuck! I was shocked.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Just saw that the USA is leading the medal count! GO TEAM USA!

Art can never exist without naked beauty displayed.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Wow, I think Korea's Yuna Kim really got robbed in the women's skating event. Gotta love those judges.

Also...

I think the pressure got to Yulia. I don't think the Russian paparazzi gave her much of a chance to breathe over the past week.

Was thrilled to see Mao Asada battle back from 16th place after her disastrous short program, especially with belittling comments coming from her country's ex-PM. ( Link )

And I think Gracie Gold's time will come in 2018.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Ok, if anyone saw the Women's Hockey Gold Medal Game - holy mother of Sochi! That was a crazzzzy rally to come from behind for the Canadians to take home the Gold! What an unbelievable game - the Americans played a near perfect game up until the last 3 minutes. These two teams were very well matched.

Congrats Team Canada!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Just a bit of fun - these pics of g-force effects on the face are awesome: Hilarious Figure Skating Expressions at Sochi

And also - my favourite heartwarming story of the Olympics. Some of the athletes are getting paperwork to bring home some of the stray dogs and pups from Sochi. Gus Kenworthy is bringing back five! This is even better than bringing home a medal, in my opinion. smile

Puppy Love

Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Wow, I think Korea's Yuna Kim really got robbed in the women's skating event. Gotta love those judges.

Also...

I think the pressure got to Yulia. I don't think the Russian paparazzi gave her much of a chance to breathe over the past week.

Was thrilled to see Mao Asada battle back from 16th place after her disastrous short program, especially with belittling comments coming from her country's ex-PM. ( Link )

And I think Gracie Gold's time will come in 2018.

Kim Yu Na got hosed badly. Not a skater I've seen that's as graceful or powerful or as consistent.

That's Russia for you. Ousted in hockey. Putin had to make phone calls to make up for it.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

Kim Yu Na got hosed badly. Not a skater I've seen that's as graceful or powerful or as consistent.

That's Russia for you. Ousted in hockey. Putin had to make phone calls to make up for it.

She got royally screwed, I agree. sad

You know what they say...

In Russia, you don't execute your program. The program executes you!

sorry, coudn't resist.9c27ykGuEsJR6VFw
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

LOL... I swear, I thought the same thing too.

Also - the Russian girl got the *second highest score of all time* for her freeskate. Think of all the great female skaters that have gone before her with flawless and sophisticated programs and then wonder how this girl's spirited yet somewhat amateur choreographed skate, complete with stumbling out of one jump got the second highest score of all time, nearly setting a world record. She managed 18 pts higher than her own personal best - that's crazy huge. Apparently even her own coach was shocked. lol

The problem with judging has always been that it's not a clearcut matter of 'oh, there's only one Russian judge, so how can they make a difference'. On panels, you have the Russian judge (who is married to the director of Russian Figure Skating Fed.), the Estonian judge, the Ukrainian judge, I know the judge from Azerbaijan in Sochi is actually of Russian descent and used to judge for the Soviet Union, and that's not counting affiliations with Eastern bloc countries that often support each other.

Two of the judges had been brought up on 'infractions' in the past for trying to influence other judges scores (including the Salt Lake City fuck up), suspended for a year, and yet were somehow seen as rehabilitated enough to get on the roster for Sochi. So yeah... it's not so hard to sway marks - you just overinflate the score of the one you want to win and significantly underscore their opponent. That's why people are seeing massive differences in first and second place finishes.

They definitely need to revisit the entire judging system. At the very least they need to pull in judges from countries who aren't invested in the outcome (eg. Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Finland etc). They also need to get rid of anonymous judging - it just makes it easier for the sketchballs to hide.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm certainly no expert, and I have no clue how they judge these things, but seeing poor Yuna Kim lose was heart breaking. I thought they had changed the scoring system to make it harder for the judges to slant their votes.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Ok, if anyone saw the Women's Hockey Gold Medal Game - holy mother of Sochi! That was a crazzzzy rally to come from behind for the Canadians to take home the Gold! What an unbelievable game - the Americans played a near perfect game up until the last 3 minutes. These two teams were very well matched.

Congrats Team Canada!

WOW! What a game that was. The U.S. could have clinched it but shot at the empty net hit the post with like 55 sec left. The Canadian team is just too good to give another chance and they took advantage of it.

Congrats to The Canadian women on a well earned Gold Medal! If the USA couldn't win I am glad Canada did!! I hope the Canadian Men win the gold now also.

I feel really bad for the US Women. One of the players is a neighbor of a friend of my daughter.
Lurker
0 likes
So the US women choke away a gold medal and the US men choke away any chance of winning a medal in hockey. Remarkable !!! simply fantastic.

I'm happy the women won silver but , really boneheaded coaching is what cost them the gold.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

WOW! What a game that was. The U.S. could have clinched it but shot at the empty net hit the post with like 55 sec left. The Canadian team is just too good to give another chance and they took advantage of it.

Congrats to The Canadian women on a well earned Gold Medal! If the USA couldn't win I am glad Canada did!! I hope the Canadian Men win the gold now also.

I feel really bad for the US Women. One of the players is a neighbor of a friend of my daughter.

I felt bad for the US women as well, honestly. I mean I was thrilled for my own Canadian team, but that was the most bizarre comeback ever. I nearly almost gave up on it to go to the gym once they were less than 6 minutes from the end of the game. I just didn't think it was possible to mount any sort of sustainable offense. When everything happened it was like it was out of a movie.

Re the US men vs Finland - that was a heartbreaking loss. I had to wonder if fatigue might have been part of it playing at that level less than 24 hrs apart. They just seemed drained somehow.

Anyway... we're up in the dark today to get ready to watch the Gold medal game. There isn't a natural rivalry between Canada and Sweden, but let's hope it's a golden moment! Go Canada!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

I felt bad for the US women as well, honestly. I mean I was thrilled for my own Canadian team, but that was the most bizarre comeback ever. I nearly almost gave up on it to go to the gym once they were less than 6 minutes from the end of the game. I just didn't think it was possible to mount any sort of sustainable offense. When everything happened it was like it was out of a movie.

Re the US men vs Finland - that was a heartbreaking loss. I had to wonder if fatigue might have been part of it playing at that level less than 24 hrs apart. They just seemed drained somehow.

Anyway... we're up in the dark today to get ready to watch the Gold medal game. There isn't a natural rivalry between Canada and Sweden, but let's hope it's a golden moment! Go Canada!

Congrats to Team Canada on winning Men's Hockey Gold

If USA couldn't win, glad Canada did!!
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes

Congrats to both the men's and women's ice hockey teams!! Wooohoooo!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Soooo happy! Maple Syrup shooters for everyone!!

ps. I kind of have a crush on our goalie, Carey Price, now.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Dear Canadians,

you're off my christmas list.

sincerely,
sprite.

and dude! what happened to our speed skaters??? melt down city!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
This is why South Korea have submitted an official complaint about the Yuna Kim skating controversy:

7 out of the 9 judges rated Kim Yuna higher, and yet she lost due to the inflated scores from just two other judges.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
One very happy Canadian to see the hockey golds.
The women's game - unbelievable ending. Those two have a VERY intense rivalry going, just like their national soccer squads do.
Men's - nowhere near as intense as the women's, Price was barely tested, too many Swede stars sidelined, still - *FUCKIN EH*.
Interesting to see what develops among NHL player consensus concerning involvement in the 2108 Olympics - all the injuries over the last ten days have raised a lot of concern.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Liz
This is why South Korea have submitted an official complaint about the Yuna Kim skating controversy:

7 out of the 9 judges rated Kim Yuna higher, and yet she lost due to the inflated scores from just two other judges.

It'll be interesting if it's enough to warrant a real investigation, maybe another overhaul of judging/scoring and possibly a second Gold. South Korea does have some bargaining power given Pyeongchang is the next stop for the Winter Olympics.

I thought Russia did another fantastic job on the Closing Ceremonies. The giant bear that blew out the flame and shed a tear - omg, so incredibly sweet. Loved seeing prima ballerina Ulyana Lopatkina too - she really is the best of all time. And the fireworks display was impressive.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by GardenerGuy
One very happy Canadian to see the hockey golds.
The women's game - unbelievable ending. Those two have a VERY intense rivalry going, just like their national soccer squads do.
Men's - nowhere near as intense as the women's, Price was barely tested, too many Swede stars sidelined, still - *FUCKIN EH*.
Interesting to see what develops among NHL player consensus concerning involvement in the 2108 Olympics - all the injuries over the last ten days have raised a lot of concern.

According to the *insiders * the NHL will NOT be participating in the next olympic games. Plus they will only consider participating if the games are held in North America.

NHL owners are really opposed to the players competing in the olympics BTW.

EDIT* the 2108 games are a long way off but, i cant wait for those either silly
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Ajax

According to the *insiders * the NHL will NOT be participating in the next olympic games. Plus they will only consider participating if the games are held in North America.

NHL owners are really opposed to the players competing in the olympics BTW.

yeah I'm aware. If I was an owner, I wouldn't want them participating either. And even more so - as a fan..........if I was an Islanders fan ( ) I'd be pissed to see an injured Tavares returning.
Yeah - from Bettman, Daly, Fehr on down to the players, I'd be surprised if there'll be much opposition to the withdrawal of future Oly participation.
yeah DARN, huh?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

Congrats to Team Canada on winning Men's Hockey Gold

If USA couldn't win, glad Canada did!!

Meh ! i wasnt Happy with team Canada because Jonathan Toews should have the been the team captain this time .