Scars?

last reply
13 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Hey everyone.smile For the past several years I’ve had a problem with scars. They are caused from many different reasons, some old and some new and I was just wondering if anyone knew how to make them go away or fade. They're one of the things I hate most about my body and I would really appreciate anyone’s advice. I don't think i would ever go to the measures to have surgery, but i am open to topical treatments. However i am on a lower budget and i'm not looking just to cover it up with make-up or products of those sorts. I have covered them up for far too long and i would like to try and at least fade them.

Thanks you guys, and ladies:)
~Morgan
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
There are two different things you can try - reducing and concealing.

Reducing - you'll need to buy a pigmentation fading cream with an ingredient like hydroquinone in it and use it religiously (while avoiding the sun at the same time). You can google a cosmetic fading cream according to your price range (they vary quite a lot in $). You can also consider treatments like microdermabrasion to reduce the visibility of the scars by removing the top few layers of skin and promote faster healing and skin repair.

Concealing - there are some great pro make-up products that are designed for maximum coverage concealing (stuff like CoverFX or Dermablend) that are designed to cover things like scars, port-wine stains etc. as well as for stage make-up. There are also make-up products to cover tattoos which should be able to seamlessly blend into your natural skin-tone and cover up those scars as well. Make sure to check for something that's waterproof if you live in a warm climate (eg. sweat-proof) or plan to be in the water.

At one point, I had a lot of deep bruises that I needed to cover and went with Dermablend (http://www.dermablend.com) and it worked like a charm. It's great to have on hand for stuff like that and I still end up using it on occasion.
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
There are several options, ranging from topical measures to more drastic things like surgical removal. I'm no expert, and skin types are different, so not everything works for everyone. Coco butter does the trick for me, but only on my most recent scars. I'm fairly clumsy, so I'm always scraping myself up, so I just do coco butter once they start to scab over, and the scar is gone by the time the scratch is healed.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
Thank u so much Dancing_Doll and Slipperywhenwet2012 for your advice, i really appreciate it. I'll try some of the products that you mentioned Dancing_Doll. As for the coco butter, i have tried it before and it never worked but thank u for the advice.smile I don't think i would ever go to the measure to have surgery, but i am open to topical treatments. However i am on a lower budget and i'm not looking just to cover it up with make-up or products of those sorts.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Over the years I have collected a number of scars and to be honest I have never tried to hide any of them. I do not advertise, but, many of them do have a story to tell.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Vitamin E... Rub that on them
Lurker
0 likes
hmmmm thank you SeaSiren, I'll give that a try.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Rosehip oil is one of the best scar reducers
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have many surgical scars which I have managed to fade out SUPER well by using Bio-Oil... It's really effective, especially since cocoa butter stings my skin. I think you can get it in most pharmacies or in the drugs/medicine aisle in supermarkets.

For reference, my incisions were about 5 inches in length and to begin with the scar was about 2cm wide. It is now half that length and about 0.5cm wide, and it's also the same colour as the skin around it, so it barely shows up unless I'm really SUPER COLD and it goes purple. I used the oil once or twice a day to start with and I noticed a difference after 3 days. It's been a year now and although I stopped using it for a while the results are still noticeable.
Clever Gem
0 likes
Quote by wildside
I have many surgical scars which I have managed to fade out SUPER well by using Bio-Oil... It's really effective, especially since cocoa butter stings my skin. I think you can get it in most pharmacies or in the drugs/medicine aisle in supermarkets.

For reference, my incisions were about 5 inches in length and to begin with the scar was about 2cm wide. It is now half that length and about 0.5cm wide, and it's also the same colour as the skin around it, so it barely shows up unless I'm really SUPER COLD and it goes purple. I used the oil once or twice a day to start with and I noticed a difference after 3 days. It's been a year now and although I stopped using it for a while the results are still noticeable.

i have to agree on the Bio oil, i've been using it on a dog bite and not only does it help fade the scarring, it makes your soft as silk! I use it all over now, and even put it in the bath, it's lovely stuff!

Lurker
0 likes
hmmmm i've heard of bio oil before but i didn't really consider using it before. Thank you crazydiamond, wildside, and tranquil. I will definitely look into trying out bio oil. I will also look at rosehip oil too tranquil. I really appreciate everyone's advice.smile
Lurker
0 likes
I have 2 scars, a 1954 DeSoto and a 1938 Studebaker sedan.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Scars show character - every one has a story.
Troublemaker
0 likes
definitely Bio-oil....it works...I use it on road rash from bike crashes...visible results!!!