Suggestion to create an Account Credibility system

last reply
111 replies
7.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would like to suggest creating an Account Credibility system on Lush, whereby new members are only allowed to perform certain tasks once they have achieved a certain status on the site. This would put the brakes on people creating fake accounts with the intent to be disruptive. It would seem that today it is possible to sign up with a new account, be an ass and disappear. I realize that most of the perpetrators will be caught out at some point down the line, but why not discourage the buggers before they are given the chance to cause problems in the first place? My feeling is that this could a) avoid discomfort to existing site members, and b) reduce the amount of clean-up required after the fact.

The way the Account Credibility system would work would be quite simple:

a) You have to have completed a certain number of fields in your profile to be able to a) post in the forum, b) enter the chat rooms, c) rate stories, d) etc.
b) You have to have accumulated at least X number of friends before you can carry out task Y.
c) You have to have accumulated certain badges before you are entitled to certain privileges.
d) Any and all combinations of the above.

The Account Credibility system does not need to be called as such publicly. It would be a 'behind the scenes' mechanism to allow new members progressive access to the site's features.

Besides, if you don't like the term Account Credibility, call it Account Entitlement, or Asshole Prevention. smile

All those in favour say Aye!

GW.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't think this is a good idea.

Aren't members free to do as they wish or don't wish?

If someone just wants to read stories, or visit the chat rooms, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Or, if they join and do absolutely nothing, isn't that their right, too?

I just wish those who have more than one account be caught quicker and permanently banned for life.

If I really don't like someone's behavior towards me, I block them.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by daddysweetheart
I don't think this is a good idea.

Aren't members free to do as they wish or don't wish?

If someone just wants to read stories, or visit the chat rooms, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Or, if they join and do absolutely nothing, isn't that their right, too?

I just wish those who have more than one account be caught quicker and permanently banned for life.

If I really don't like someone's behavior towards me, I block them.

For sure, legitimate members are free to do what they wish, but for now illegitimate members can also do as they wish. I see potential wrong with that.

I also block people who exhibit bad behaviour. However, I prefer prevention rather than cure. Being proactive makes more sense to me than being purely reactive.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I guess My thought is that persons could still be pests.... they would only have to lick more green stamps before being the pest... really think that would stop a class clown? Doubtful.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by weekender
I guess My thought is that persons could still be pests.... they would only have to lick more green stamps before being the pest... really think that would stop a class clown? Doubtful.

Sure, but licking green stamps could become tiresome even to the funniest of clown trolls. Doubtless.
Lurker
0 likes
I am in agreement with Daddysweetheart on this, I am sorry.

Some of your suggestions GW are not bad, just a bit overboard and clearly a take away from anyone ( NEW ) who is not out to cause a problem and wreak ( wreck ) havoc .... wanting to join this site for the reading alone.

I believe the Lush reps, mods and the community do a fabulous job on ridding of the bad eggs that hatch up here on Lush .... from what I have seen, they are on the ball when something goes on.

Licking anything never goes out of style .... too many flavors. ( smile )
Lurker
0 likes
I think credibility is a common sense issue. Lush does a pretty good job...if you have no common sense and don't use pure logic, then you are the issue. One has to have an idea of the way the wind blows. Smell the roses.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Sofietouchu
I am in agreement with Daddysweetheart on this, I am sorry.

Some of your suggestions GW are not bad, just a bit overboard and clearly a take away from anyone ( NEW ) who is not out to cause a problem and wreak ( wreck ) havoc .... wanting to join this site for the reading alone.

I believe the Lush reps, mods and the community do a fabulous job on ridding of the bad eggs that hatch up here on Lush .... from what I have seen, they are on the ball when something goes on.

Licking anything never goes out of style .... too many flavors. ( smile )

I love people shooting down an idea before it's even had the time to flourish, based on the assumption that status quo is the norm and that the powers that be are in control. Blind faith in the system is a sure-fire way to end up sitting on a dusty road, wondering what the fuck happened.

Take the time to think it through, discuss the issues, and you may find that there is an alternative and that you have, for once, learned something.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by adagio_sabadicus
I think credibility is a common sense issue. Lush does a pretty good job...if you have no common sense and don't use pure logic, then you are the issue. One has to have an idea of the way the wind blows. Smell the roses.

Agreed. Pretty good job, could do better.
0 likes
Quote by GirlyWorld

For sure, legitimate members are free to do what they wish, but for now illegitimate members can also do as they wish. I see potential wrong with that.

I also block people who exhibit bad behaviour. However, I prefer prevention rather than cure. Being proactive makes more sense to me than being purely reactive.

For clarification, what/whom exactly are you defining as an "illegitimate" member?
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia

For clarification, what/whom exactly are you defining as an "illegitimate" member?

I would LOVE to know as well.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia

Please don't pretend you don't know what I mean, ffs!

Just in case you really don't understand, an illegitimate member would be someone who has created an account for the sole purpose of being disruptive on Lush.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by GirlyWorld

Just in case you really don't understand, an illegitimate member would be someone who has created an account for the sole purpose of being disruptive on Lush.

I think that will always happen though. There will always be those kind of members.

It's inevitable.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by daddysweetheart

I think that will always happen though.

It will, but the point of my suggestion is to make is less easy for people to be trolls. If all you need is to create an account, you're in troll heaven!
If you have to work to be a troll - and trolls are inherently lazy - then you might decide to go troll elsewhere.

GW.
0 likes
Quote by GirlyWorld

Actually, I didn't know what you meant by the phrase "illegitimate member". Thus the question. Your response to an honest query speaks volumes about your mindset. Don't like this sandbox? Go find another one to play in, please.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia

Actually, I didn't know what you meant by the phrase "illegitimate member". Thus the question. Your response to an honest query speaks volumes about your mindset. Don't like this sandbox? Go find another one to play in, please.

Erm, excuse me. This is MY sandbox because I asked the question. Go play in your own, Miss Haughty Taughty.

I answered your question, now please leave space for my own.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by GirlyWorld

Erm, excuse me. This is MY sandbox because I asked the question. Go play in your own, Miss Haughty Taughty.

I answered your question, now please leave space for my own.

It's Nicola's sandbox, actually.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by daddysweetheart

It's Nicola's sandbox, actually.

Right, Nicola's sandbox, and so what? Are you speaking with her authority or on her behalf?

As far as a forum discussion goes, it's my sandbox. If Nicola wants to step in and give her opinion, I'm fine with that.

I raised a valid suggestion, which I stand by and which I would like to have considered seriously, not just defensively.

GW.
Lurker
0 likes
That sounds like the Lush Stories version of a caste system. I understand your dislike of people who use this site other than the purpose it's intended, but requiring new members who are here for sincere reasons to jump through hoops and "prove" themselves seems tyrannical and elitist. Or at least like hazing. Who really has the right to "qualify" others? I've met some especially intelligent and kind people on here and their opinions mean something to me, but I don't consider them qualified to pass judgment on me nor I on them. So I say no to a caste system here and everywhere else.
Convict
0 likes
Theoretically, I think it's a good idea to have some kind of way to slow down the pests or people making multiple accounts. They would have to go through the same procedure with every account they have. If there is a way to at least discourage people like that how could it be a bad thing? I've seen it done on other sites and it works. For the general members wanting to join, why should it be a problem or discourage them from being a member? It's going to benefit them as well. Lots of forums have certain rules in place for various reasons. Another option instead of going that way is put a membership time limit before they can post on the forums or whatever. If a new member had to wait 3 months before they could post on the forums or some other feature I would think they would go somewhere else to create havoc.

EDIT: I've been a member of a site that had the 3 month rule in place and new members didn't seem to mind because they were new and that's just the way it was. If you didn't like it then you didn't have to join.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Bran1812
That sounds like the Lush Stories version of a caste system. I understand your dislike of people who use this site other than the purpose it's intended, but requiring new members who are here for sincere reasons to jump through hoops and "prove" themselves seems tyrannical and elitist. Or at least like hazing. Who really has the right to "qualify" others? I've met some especially intelligent and kind people on here and their opinions mean something to me, but I don't consider them qualified to pass judgment on me nor I on them. So I say no to a caste system here and everywhere else.

I'm not talking about a caste system. It's simply a cooling-off period for new members. You can read all the stories and forums, but you need to show some presence before you can fully participate in everything.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by trinket
Theoretically, I think it's a good idea to have some kind of way to slow down the pests or people making multiple accounts. They would have to go through the same procedure with every account they have. If there is a way to at least discourage people like that how could it be a bad thing? I've seen it done on other sites and it works. For the general members wanting to join, why should it be a problem or discourage them from being a member? It's going to benefit them as well. Lots of forums have certain rules in place for various reasons. Another option instead of going that way is put a membership time limit before they can post on the forums or whatever. If a new member had to wait 3 months before they could post on the forums or some other feature I would think they would go somewhere else to create havoc.

EDIT: I've been a member of a site that had the 3 month rule in place and new members didn't seem to mind because they were new and that's just the way it was. If you didn't like it then you didn't have to join.

Three months is forever. Especially on here. I don't think that's fair to the majority of the public who just want to join and be harmless.

I think that would deter a lot of people from wanting to join at all.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by daddysweetheart

Three months is forever. Especially on here. I don't think that's fair to the majority of the public who just want to join and be harmless.

Please refer back to my original suggestion. The idea here is not to design the process but to agree on the principle.

The way the Account Credibility system would work would be quite simple:

a) You have to have completed a certain number of fields in your profile to be able to a) post in the forum, b) enter the chat rooms, c) rate stories, d) etc.
b) You have to have accumulated at least X number of friends before you can carry out task Y.
c) You have to have accumulated certain badges before you are entitled to certain privileges.
d) Any and all combinations of the above.

Thank you.

GW.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I think that this idea isn't a bad one, but may be too harsh on new members. I think if there was to be a system like this put in place, it should rather be a bot of some sort that flags members with suspicious activity. This way, new members who aren't even doing anything are not subject to unnecessary restrictions.
Convict
0 likes
Quote by trinket
I think it's a good idea to have some kind of way to slow down the pests or people making multiple accounts. They would have to go through the same procedure with every account they have. If there is a way to at least discourage people like that how could it be a bad thing? I've seen it done on other sites and it works. For the general members wanting to join, why should it be a problem or discourage them from being a member? It's going to benefit them as well. Lots of forums have certain rules in place for various reasons. Another option instead of going that way is put a membership time limit before they can post on the forums or whatever. If a new member had to wait 3 months before they could post on the forums or some other feature I would think they would go somewhere else to create havoc.
Quote by daddysweetheart

You're right. It is too long. As soon as I posted it I knew it was a silly suggestion but had to go so couldn't go in and change it. I still like the idea but maybe for a month but we are not debating that at the moment. Soooooo for what it's worth, my vote would be yes for the idea at least.
The Linebacker
0 likes
How about requiring fingerprints, DNA, an anal probe, an NSA background check, and a letter of authenticity from Interpol? And toss in your credit score.

The Linebacker
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz
How about requiring fingerprints, DNA, an anal probe, an NSA background check, and a letter of authenticity from Interpol? And toss in your credit score.

Hmm, the credit score may be taking things a bit too far.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by trinket
If a new member had to wait 3 months before they could post on the forums or some other feature I would think they would go somewhere else to create havoc.

quite honestly, if i'd have joined under this system, i would have lost interest and gone elsewhere. the idea is to actually make Lush grow as a site, not chase people off in droves.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by GirlyWorld

I love people shooting down an idea before it's even had the time to flourish, based on the assumption that status quo is the norm and that the powers that be are in control. Blind faith in the system is a sure-fire way to end up sitting on a dusty road, wondering what the fuck happened.

Take the time to think it through, discuss the issues, and you may find that there is an alternative and that you have, for once, learned something.

GW, I did not shoot down your idea .... I merely said a bit overboard and clearly a take away from anyone ( NEW ) who is not out to cause a problem and wreak ( wreck ) havoc .... wanting to join this site for the reading alone.

If putting my 2 cents in before others reacted for a time flourish period, it is my assumption .... you want only of Aye responses and the nays can go someplace warm in dwell ( useless in your eyes for even responding ).

I do have faith in the system, its not blind .... it takes of time, it takes of getting the right info before making a judgment call .... the ducks must be in a row before taking them down. Usually after the dust clears .... one knows exactly what has happen, those claiming of not knowing are the truly blind.

I took the time to think it through with my 1st response and after reading the comments ( everyone's ) clearly understandable with the guarding of ones sandbox a want, and need to a certain extent but even ones own sandbox is need of cleaning too.

The alternative with a solution: Copy all of threat, Report those of havoc, Block them.

Of learn .... yes, clearly its about you and wants for agreeable users need only apply of use .... good luck.

Me: Enjoying my time here on Lush .... stuff to read, people to converse with, etc.

Have a nice day .... its Sunday, purple pink sock day too.