Newly single

last reply
11 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
So, I'm about to be single again after nearly ten years of marriage. I didn't date all that much when I was single and I know things have changed due to this thing called the internet. I'm not going to be rushing into anything serious anytime soon. I just want to hook up or have a casual relationship. Where's a good place to start? Anything in particular to avoid or watch out for (besides herpes)?
Lurker
0 likes
Hi NYJacko. Good luck. Things changed for me after 23 years of marriage, and I find it awkward when I go out as I prefer to be with younger people. But I do think people think the person I am with is with their mother!
I am not into internet dating.
Go out with work colleagues is a start. Go out with friends if you have any left after your divorce.
I prefer quieter bars etc.

How far is Orange County from England?
Lurker
0 likes
Avoid ever mentioning Herpes, for a start...... xx SF
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Orange County is about seventy miles northwest of New York City. I don't normally mention herpes to people I'm trying to hook up with. There is someone I work with who I could probably hook up with, but her situation is complicated and I'm worried that if anything happened between us then it would make working together awkward since I'm really not up for anything long term.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i think u just started

my hottest after marriage sex came after cybering

u already have a heads up on what they are like

and if u first u also are comfortable naked

just get out there....

lots and lots of willing and looking woman....

trust me

ps avoid work if u can....complicated is for relationships..not for the i am finally f'ing free time!
Lurker
0 likes
just go out with some friends and have a good time!
0 likes
Don't return to all the places you have spent the last ten years.

Explore, visit nearby towns, immerse yourself in doing things you have always wanted to try in the past. Become the person you always wanted to be.
Doing this you will find new friends, create new relationships and grow.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is a very difficult situation to be in because of the length of your marriage most of your contempories are also married. I have been there and was the guy who got invited around for Christmas dinner by people with families etc which can be a drag. When you do start venturing forth you inevitably meet younger people. I decided to just let things happen and follow my instincts I joined a drama society and started to meet people. I also let random chance have its way and picked up a hitch-hiker (I have done this and he looked like the genuine article and no threat). We became friends - he was from the Czech Republic we visited each other's countries - even toured the US. Then I decided that I had no responsibilities to worry about (the plus side of divorce once the kids grow up) and so moved to Prague which opened up a whole new vista.
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
so .... any updates??
Lurker
0 likes
do you unfriend an ex on facebook?
my ex is still in my friends list. and since we have a lot of coomon friends, i know that even if i remove him, i'd still get news about him & vice versa. i've unsubscribed from his posts, though. still, it sucks seeing pics of him & his brand new girlfriend.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by ctv101
do you unfriend an ex on facebook?
my ex is still in my friends list. and since we have a lot of coomon friends, i know that even if i remove him, i'd still get news about him & vice versa. i've unsubscribed from his posts, though. still, it sucks seeing pics of him & his brand new girlfriend.

It would depend on the relationship you had with him and if you wanted to delete him.
I've only ever had two exes that I cannot stand seeing and I would delete them in a heartbeat.
The rest I stayed on friendly terms and I'm glad to see them carry on.
Of course, I feel that twinge of jealousy when I see a particular ex with his wife and twin babies plastered on facebook, but I am genuinely happy that he's happy. We weren't right for each other and we parted amicably.
But of course, I always think of "What if?" then shake myself and carry on doing what I have to do.

As for the OP question... Live music festivals are a great way to meet like-minded people. Not necessarily for dating purposes alone but to get out and meet new people that may have single friends they would LOVE to introduce you to!