Story position on a topic page

last reply
31 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Is the placement of a story in the list of stories controlled by more than just publication date? Today, for example, on Micros, the first story shown was posted on the 20th. Next is one from the 21st, then mine from the 22nd. After that there are a half dozen more from the 21st, before you get to the 20th posts. I hope this is clear. I have noticed this several times in several categories in the past.

I'm not complaining, just curious why some posts remain in the top spot.
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
The more nudes you send to the mods, the longer they stay at the top.

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Clumeleon
0 likes
As far as I can work out, the date shown is the date of submission, whereas they are ordered by date of verification (most recent at the top).

Most of the time these will be roughly the same, but it can vary depending on how many verifiers are working the queue at the same time and if there are issues with stories that need discussing.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by naughtyannie

Also this.
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Quote by naughtyannie

Well, I tried that, but they sent them all back -- apparently, my taste is not to theirs.
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Quote by clum
As far as I can work out, the date shown is the date of submission, whereas they are ordered by date of verification (most recent at the top).

Most of the time these will be roughly the same, but it can vary depending on how many verifiers are working the queue at the same time and if there are issues with stories that need discussing.

I had thought it might be that, but the top post has been there since late night on the 20th and has various comments made yesterday. I know from my own posts that re-editing/re-submitting an existing story does not change its position in the queue when it's reverified.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil
I had thought it might be that, but the 20th dated top post has been there since the 20th. And I know from my own posts that re-editing/re-submitting an existing story does not change its position in the queue when it's reverified.

Ahh, I see what's happened. Stories have a publication date and a "display date". Display dates of stories by the same author must be at least 24 hours apart.

So even though that story was published on the 20th (and would have been available to view via the member's profile), it would not have appeared on the front page of the site until the 22nd.

EDIT: In fact, it isn't on the front page yet, and only appears in the category page. It appears not to sync up properly, but that's pretty much what's going on.

This is why we encourage people to only make one submission per day.
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Quote by clum

Ahh, I see what's happened. Stories have a publication date and a "display date". Display dates of stories by the same author must be at least 24 hours apart.

So even though that story was published on the 20th (and would have been available to view via the member's profile), it would not have appeared on the front page of the site until the 22nd.

I saw it when I checked for new stories on the Micro category page that day. I've never looked at that member's profile. And shouldn't mine, from today, be above both of the others then?

Like I said, not a complaint, just want to understand how it works.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil
I saw it when I checked for new stories on the Micro category page that day. I've never looked at that member's profile. And shouldn't mine, from today, be above both of the others then?

Like I said, not a complaint, just want to understand how it works.

Yeah, trying to piece it together myself. See the edits to my post above.

I think it goes directly onto the category page when published, but retains its relative "display date" ordering.

Quote by gav
Quoting Gav to see if he can confirm.
Charming as fuck
0 likes
That's how I've always understood it.

Stories go straight into the category when they're published, but will be held back from the front page if you have another one less than 24 hours old.

So you may have the newest micro on the front page, but it might not be the newest in the category page.
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
I never look at the Main stories page, but just did a check. None of my stories back to the 10th of this month even appear there. Is it supposed to be all inclusive, or just some of the categories?
Charming as fuck
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil
I never look at the Main stories page, but just did a check. None of my stories back to the 10th of this month even appear there. Is it supposed to be all inclusive, or just some of the categories?

Micros don't appear on the main page. They've been filtered off into the quick reads tab.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
As I understand it...

Every story has three dates:

1 - Submission/Added Date - When the story was submitted by the author for approval by a moderator.
2 - Verification Date - When the story was approved by a moderator.
3 - Display Date - When the story will appear on the site.

When an author submits several stories in a short space of time, the display date can often be several days after the verification date. This is because the Lush system will only allow one publication per author in a 24 hour period. The reason for this is to prevent people from flooding the story queue with stories and monopolising the front page.

On the individual category pages, stories are listed by order of display date. The date shown on the story itself is the submission/added date. I think that's where the confusion lies.

For example, the top spot on the Microfiction category at the moment is occupied by 'Harpaxophilia' by kiteares.

Story submitted on 20 Oct 2020 08:53
Story verified by xxx on 20 Oct 2020 21:31 with a display date of 22 Oct 2020 20:47

The second is 'Yes' by ladyblue69.

Story submitted on 21 Oct 2020 15:53
Story verified by xxx on 21 Oct 2020 16:13 with a display date of 22 Oct 2020 16:02

The third is 'Class Reunion, Ten Years' by kistinspencil.

Story submitted on 22 Oct 2020 05:44
Story verified by xxx on 22 Oct 2020 12:51 with a display date of 22 Oct 2020 12:51

Hope that makes sense.

Liz
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Jen
Micros don't appear on the main page. They've been filtered off into the quick reads tab.

She's talking about the actual Microfiction page.

The story at the top of that page isn't on the Quick Reads tab yet.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Hope that makes sense.

Liz

By what you've just said, those three stories would be in the completely wrong order.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by clum

By what you've just said, those three stories would be in the completely wrong order.

Why would they be? Newest at the top of the page.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Why would they be? Newest at the top of the page.

No, sorry, confused myself. But the first two shouldn't be displayed at all yet.

EDIT: I now understand what's happening, but it means that story has been at the top of that page for two days, which seems very unfair.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by clum
No, sorry, confused myself. But the first two shouldn't be displayed at all yet.

I've always assumed the timestamps used in the story logs (where I copied that info from) just use a preset timezone or a server time. Maybe Gav has it set to the time zone he lives in?

If it was dynamic, it would display differently for each moderator based on the timezone setting on their account.
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Quote by Jen

Flash, too?
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Liz
I've always assumed the timestamps used in the story logs (where I copied that info from) just use a preset timezone or a server time. Maybe Gav has it set to the time zone he lives in?

If it was dynamic, it would display differently for each moderator based on the timezone setting on their account.

I think it is dynamic (hard for us to check because we're in the same time zone).

I think the problem is that the "display date" refers to when it will appear on the front page (whichever tab), but that it goes straight to the category page regardless. Then the story retains a high position in the ordering because its display date is actually in the future.

In this instance, kistinspencil's story could never have gone to the top of that page.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil
Flash, too?

Yup.
Charming as fuck
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil

Flash, too?

Yeah, but the plan is to try and change that back when Gav has some time on his hands.

The stories tab is set as the default to casual surfers who aren't logged in, so currently they won't see flash stories unless they go to the category, or click on the 'quick reads' or 'all' tab.

It's hopefully on the never ending to-do list smile
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Jen
The stories tab is set as the default to casual surfers who aren't logged in, so currently they won't see flash stories unless they go to the category, or click on the 'quick reads' or 'all' tab.

But individual members can change what their default is in the settings. Mine is set to see everything. smile
Charming as fuck
0 likes
Quote by clum

But individual members can change what their default is in the settings. Mine is set to see everything. smile

Yeah, absolutely, I'm the same. But I think the vast majority of views come from casual surfers, so it's a little unfair they're not likely to see the flash ones.

You can knock a micro out in about ten mins, but a wee bit more work generally goes into flash. Well, in my experience, lol.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by clum
I think it is dynamic (hard for us to check because we're in the same time zone).

I think the problem is that the "display date" refers to when it will appear on the front page (whichever tab), but that it goes straight to the category page regardless. Then the story retains a high position in the ordering because its display date is actually in the future.

In this instance, kistinspencil's story could never have gone to the top of that page.

I'm getting confused. Are you saying a story will sit at the top of a category page until it gets displayed on the front page? I'm not sure that's true. If it were, other stories would leapfrog it down in the list and I don't think I've ever seen that.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Liz
I'm getting confused. Are you saying a story will sit at the top of a category page until it gets displayed on the front page? I'm not sure that's true. If it were, other stories would leapfrog it down in the list and I don't think I've ever seen that.

It's literally what kistinspencil is describing here. The story Harpaxophilia is at the top of the Microfiction page (and has been since the story was verified, it seems), but it is yet to appear on the front page (or Quick Reads tab).

EDIT: And I just tested it to confirm by posting a Microfiction story. It appears third on the category page, even though it's the most recent story, because others have a display date in the future.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by clum
EDIT: And I just tested it to confirm by posting a Microfiction story. It appears third on the category page, even though it's the most recent story, because others have a display date in the future.

Okay, so the simple fix for Gav would be for the story display date to apply to both the front page and the category pages?
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Okay, so the simple fix for Gav would be for the story display date to apply to both the front page and the category pages?

Yes. You gonna message him?
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by clum
Yes. You gonna message him?

Can do. I'll send him a message and see what he says.

Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Quote by Liz

I'm not sure how this helps? Will the Category story hover in undisplayed limbo until the Display date? If not, then gaming the system with a mess of posts will get you longer prominence in the top spot. Mine posted this morning and I'm now fifth down in the list (not counting the Test), much more likely to go unseen.