Midday Naps: Beneficial or Detrimental?

last reply
44 replies
4.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
in some cases, beneficial.... kind of like "afternoon delights"!!!!
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27
I often take naps....

Sometimes I really have no choice.

I am a night owl and stay up much to late so eventually I crash and need to catch up..

This!

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Lurker
0 likes
I am a great fan of naps... I find them really beneficial .. except if I am going to a party I find I enjoy it more if I haven't had a nap beforehand .. don't know why this is? .. must be something to do with recovery time from napping ...

Princess Blondie
0 likes
I'm not one to really nap. I dunno, guess I'm too busy to have em. If I ever do nap, is usually when I'm sick.
†Jinxy Approved†

Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I personally love naps. They are usually more beneficial, but sometimes it can screw my sleep routine up.
Site administrator
0 likes
I used to do this at weekends around lunch time but invariably I woke up feeling terribly groggy and worse for the experience so I gave it up years ago.
0 likes
I work either afternoon/evening shifts (late 1st transitioning into 2nd shift) or 3rd (graveyard) shift, so sleeping during the late morning into the early afternoon really isn't an option--it's a requirement. I've never experienced any detrimental effects from sleeping during the day--much worse to not sleep at all, which happens on occasion.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27
I often take naps....

Sometimes I really have no choice.

I am a night owl and stay up much to late so eventually I crash and need to catch up..

xo

I am also a night owl, up usually 3 or 4( some times later) in the morning then up around 8 or 9, so an afternoon nap is important.. I have gotten more in the habit of being a night owl because of my internet. (50 gigs from 2am to 8 am and 15 gig from 8am to 2am per month) so I do most of my posting, and updating between those hours. Or I would go way over my data. So naps are important.
Click below to see

Fancy Schmancy
0 likes
It has never even occurred to me to nap, unless I am sick, or jet-lagged. My dad napped every day after lunch, at work, and, when he had long commutes, used to park his car at a gas station and nap on the drive home. My last boyfriend was a big fan of naps. I can't imagine they would be detrimental, unless you chose to do them on a subway train, or a runway, or something.
Lurker
0 likes
Not sure .... never had opportunities to do that on a normal type day.... but I can see where a "power nap", 2o min or more might be good!
0 likes
Quote by LaylaJune
It has never even occurred to me to nap, unless I am sick, or jet-lagged.

This. Though I do kind of doze off sometimes on weekend afternoons if there's nothing much to do.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
They can be both it depends on how you feel.

If I'm beyond tired a nap usually makes me feel worse. If I didn't get enough sleep the night before and I start feeling sluggish then a half hour nap is wonderful. That being said I'm a shift worker and I'm sort of use to sleeping when need be.
Lurker
0 likes
I am able to power nap after lunch and I definitely find it improves my concentration later in the day.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
Hello there,

I lift weights in the evening most days of the week and because of that, I often have difficulty falling asleep as my adrenaline levels are still high when I go to bed. Since a few months, I've been taking more and more short naps of 30-60 minutes when I get back from work, just before training. I had difficulty falling asleep before, mostly due to my training, so these naps just inadvertently established themselves in my routine and it seems like I'm now trapped in some kind of vicious circle as I don't feel tired until late in the evening.

I usually go to bed at around midnight, then wake up at 7:00 am, which gives me only 7 hours of sleep instead of my preferred 8-9 hours. If I took a nap in the evening the day before however, I don't notice much difference in terms of fatigue/alertness, though that will also likely make me want to nap again when I return home.

The thing is, I actually don't feel more tired during the day and I find these naps to be quite convenient. I always had some difficulty falling asleep (again, mostly due to my training), so now I just return home, take a short nap, train, eat, and go to sleep. Where this is advantageous for me is that I usually fall asleep rather quickly with this regimen, instead of looking at the ceiling for 1-2 hour(s) as I did before. Plus, I get to rest a little before training, which makes me more focused during my session.

Overall, I find these naps to be quite convenient and I usually feel great during the day, but I've been wondering if these naps could be detrimental in the long run. I once read that naps are advantageous to get some quick quality sleep; for example, taking a short nap of 30 minutes could be just as rejuvenating as adding 1 hour of sleep during the night. But taking naps can also make it more difficult to fall asleep later in the evening, though as I've said, I suffered from insomnia before anyway and it's not really 'worse' since I've started taking those naps.

Any advices to share? Thanks!

I always found short naps beneficial
Normal Adjacent
0 likes
I love naps and short ones can be beneficial. It's when I take a too long nap that I end up with problems sleeping at night. I love naps so much I even wrote a story about my nap time routine. (Sorry, shameless plug coming up)

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/masturbation/nap-time.aspx
Troublemaker
0 likes
detrimental: messes up the Circadian rhythm, harder to get a deep sleep and I don't feel any better