Login

What will replace the suit and tie?

last reply
26 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
It evolved from European military uniforms. North America is long overdue for developing something else, preferably more practical.
My workplace is already business casual. Good slacks and golf or sport shirts are the de rigeur male wear. Suits are strictly for special occasions. And my general impression was that North America was already well down that road in general thanks to the tech industry, where jeans and a t-shirt are considered acceptable work wear in more and more places and Mark Zuckerberg's hoodies are the height of fashion.
Active Ink Slinger
I'm an old-fashioned girl, I love seeing men in suits, crisp white shirts and tasteful silk ties
Active Ink Slinger
Please don't ever get rid of the suit and tie combo. Its one of my biggest turn ons.
Active Ink Slinger
I rarely wear suits and ties, but when I do, I am full-on old fashioned, French cuffs and cuff links.
The Linebacker
Men will soon be wearing neon banana hammocks, white wife beater undershirts, and sandals to the office.

Seriously, l wear a suit and tie to work, which is still the standard in the field l'm in.
Active Ink Slinger
I always prefer to dress smart .In business people will take you more seriously if dressed for the part. That of course goes for the ladies as well.
Lurker
@SarahFun, @shadowcat, you ladies are wonderful! I am a firm believer in dressing for success, for business or for my woman. I am very disappointed in today's men's fashion trends. Last Spring, I traveled to San Sebastian, Spain. I wanted to explore the Basque region, as well as dine at one of their many Michelin star restaurants, Arzak. Needless to say, I wore a tailored suit and tie. I felt like a Billion bucks (inflation), being dressed to the nines with my lady on my arm. When we entered their beautiful dining room, i was flabbergasted to see that other men wore "dress" T-shirts. I also saw some in suits, but they had taken their jackets off and slung them over the back of their chairs. Come on guys! Let's step it up and show our ladies how much we care about them and how much they mean to us. Dress up. open their doors, pull out their chairs, tell them know how beautiful they look and are, AND (!) don't forget the flowers! ? And, if you don't want to do it for your lady/significant other, do it for your self.
Lurker
I would be happy with sport coat and tie.
Active Ink Slinger
I can answer the original question about what I think should replace the suit and tie with only one word. NOTHING! Hopefully, this dress code never goes out of style. When I walk into an office, I want to see the people there not only act professional but dress in a professional manner. That means suit and tie for the men and a dress or blouse and skirt for the ladies. It shows they have an eye for detail; they care about and are proud of themselves and of the service they provide me, the customer. This in turn, will make me comfortable and want to deal with them. On the other hand, if they are dressed in jeans and shirts, etc., my first impression is not going to be very good, and there is a good chance I may not return. There are probably lots of other places I can go to do my business.

If I was dating a lady and we were going out on a date, I’d be very disappointed if she didn’t dress appropriately, and I’d expect she would feel the same way about me. I don’t want to be around anyone that shows they have no pride in themselves, because if that is the case, how can I be proud of them? I think it is better to be over-dressed than under-dressed.

To make a brief reference to Seeker’s comment about Mark Zukerberg’s hoodies, well, Mr. Zukerberg can keep his hoodie as well as Facebook. I want no part of either one.

To Scent_of_a_Woman, three cheers to you. I agree 100% with your comment and I couldn’t have said it any better. It’s nice to know I’m not the only guy that feels this way. Looking at your avatar, I have no idea whether that is a picture of you or not, but it is interesting to note that you picked a photo showing the man wearing a nice suit and tie.

Quote by hidden_agenda73
I would be happy with sport coat and tie.

I suppose in many situations, a sports coat and tie would be acceptable, though to me, that is pushing the limit at the low end of the scale.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
Lurker
Quote by LikeToWrite
I can answer the original question about what I think should replace the suit and tie with only one word. NOTHING! Hopefully, this dress code never goes out of style. When I walk into an office, I want to see the people there not only act professional but dress in a professional manner. That means suit and tie for the men and a dress or blouse and skirt for the ladies. It shows they have an eye for detail; they care about and are proud of themselves and of the service they provide me, the customer. This in turn, will make me comfortable and want to deal with them. On the other hand, if they are dressed in jeans and shirts, etc., my first impression is not going to be very good, and there is a good chance I may not return. There are probably lots of other places I can go to do my business.

If I was dating a lady and we were going out on a date, I’d be very disappointed if she didn’t dress appropriately, and I’d expect she would feel the same way about me. I don’t want to be around anyone that shows they have no pride in themselves, because if that is the case, how can I be proud of them? I think it is better to be over-dressed than under-dressed.

To make a brief reference to Seeker’s comment about Mark Zukerberg’s hoodies, well, Mr. Zukerberg can keep his hoodie as well as Facebook. I want no part of either one.

To Scent_of_a_Woman, three cheers to you. I agree 100% with your comment and I couldn’t have said it any better. It’s nice to know I’m not the only guy that feels this way. Looking at your avatar, I have no idea whether that is a picture of you or not, but it is interesting to note that you picked a photo showing the man wearing a nice suit and tie.

I suppose in many situations, a sports coat and tie would be acceptable, though to me, that is pushing the limit at the low end of the scale.

You make some good points, but I think where you are mistaken is that pride does not come from appearance, nor professionalism. I would put my ability to act as a professional up against anyone and my record speaks for itself. That said, in my role you might find me wearing anything from a pair of comfortable jeans to a nice dress. I doubt anyone thinks any less of my professionalism based on what I wear. It's how a person speaks and acts that determines whether they are professional or classy. I know a lot of people that wear suits every day and couldn't put 6 words together to make a sentence, if their life depended on it.

I think if we paid a bit less attention to appearance and more attention to substance, it would serve us well.

IMO
Reese
Lurker
I prefer dressing for the occasion as I would expect others to as well. Yet you need to know the dress code before entering the event. Let's keep the suit and tie if it's a black tie affair.
Nothing.

I prefer a man to be well dressed at all times.
Whatever replaces the suit and tie, all you'll need to do is wait awhile and they'll be back in fashion. The three piece suit I purchased back in the early 1980's is now quite fashionable AND it still fits.
Her Royal Spriteness
you can look nice, sharp, professional etc without having to wear a suit. and suits can be expensive - don't forget you have to factor in dry cleaning.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Primus Omnium
Wearing a suit is something I've only done for funerals and weddings. I've never worked in a place of business where a suit was necessary. I worked for the federal government for a few months and wore jackets, slacks, and ties but I was about the only male who did. Others wore shirts and slacks or jeans. Other places were strictly informal wear. Jeans and shirts. Most businesses I worked for were computer operations. I never needed to wear a suit, or coat and tie.
Щíccαη Щoods Щhore
Referring to formal events und more respected office environments only?
I have much doubt the "suit and tie" look will be replaced anytime soon but will change in style only.
I think the trend for women und men will stay similar in style as they are currently for a very long time into the future except with maybe a few smaller changes.

This mainly because, history has shown us, no matter what may be popular at this years fashion shows, no matter what current demographic ethnic group think should be the popular thing,...the majority of the population doesn't und won't wear such clothing, nor do they wish to change their personal choices, und will simply wait for those types of "in this year" fads to pass away as historical footnote,...as they most always will.

Women will continue to wear a similar style of pant-suit as now for along time to come I think, with up-collar blouses, lazy bow ties, cross-overs, or a stylish brooch und scarf.
One thing that seems to be changing abit ist high-heels in the office environment are slowly going away, getting replaced by more comfortable dress loafers or flats.

Men will wear similar tailored suits as now with smaller lapel, but may wear collar-less shirts more often, no cloth ties, but Bar Pin Brooch Ties instead.

I've seen the short-sleeve/short pant men's suit at fashion shows, und they can be stylish in their own way depending on the man who wears it, but they have many out-there fabrics, patterns, und color styles that I doubt anyone would ever spend their money to purchase, und even less would never wear in public.
I've never seen even one guy wearing them in the real world und they were shown in fashion shows at least 10 years ago.
The short-suit look may be more popular in the U.S., Japan, or South Korea though.
. . .♀♌TT☩✯⁂⊕⧋▽⧊ )◯( ψΨ∅ǯǮǯ∞✾❈❁✤. . .
The Linebacker
Short suits will NOT be popular in America. Those things are just evil. Wearer beware!

Cellophane thongs and eel hide jock straps have a better chance than short suits.

Lurker
Spray on black latex, gimp mask with zipper mouth opening for ball gag accessory. It’s good enough for the White House; it’s good enough for corporations.
Lurker
I'd settle for a camel color v-neck sweater over a crisp white button down...grey slacks and tan Cole Haan loafers. Smooth and bare beneath.A5E8kQixyuVIjPhu
Lurker
I think the suit and tie will stand the test of time and continue to be a fashion statement for at least the next few decades
Dreamer
I think suits will remain. Ties however might soon disappear.

My bookshelf includes 227 stories, which include 76 collaborations;

One Editor's Pick, Three Series Awards, Fifty-three Recommended Reads, and Eight Famous Stories are included. Go to https://www.lushstories.com/profiles/view/ChrisM/stories

Enjoy

Щíccαη Щoods Щhore
Quote by ChrisM
I think suits will remain. Ties however might soon disappear.

I've seen many men in different countries the past few years shunning their cloth ties for more simple Bar Pin Brooch Ties instead.
They are quite handsome I think making men's suits abit sexier again, und they seemingly have 1,000s of styles und lockets for your own personal look.

. . .♀♌TT☩✯⁂⊕⧋▽⧊ )◯( ψΨ∅ǯǮǯ∞✾❈❁✤. . .
Active Ink Slinger
I have to wear a tie at work, and I cannot wait to get the damn thing off! To me, it is a painfully slow form of strangulation, and a total anachronism. smile