Login

Underdressed or overdressed?

last reply
100 replies
13.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Quote by SarahFun
I am my mother's daughter. She always would prefer to be over-dressed and so do I. I may only be in my forties but I hate, hate, hate the casual look gone crazy. When I go out with a guy I dress up for the date and I expect him to do the same.

Quite right . In the UK you will be surprised if you ever went out on the town here , Well certainly on my patch anyway. You will see the lady partner who has probably spent hours in the bathroom meticulously paying attention to how she looks and then carefully selecting an outfit , often a dress. The guy on the other hand will pick up the closest pair of jeans to hand and the baggiest T shirt advertising some brand or other and the scruffiest pair of trainers or sneakers in your parlance.

Then the very same guy may just wonder why his OH has an interest in looking at me ! I think it just shows a lack of respect for your partner but that is just my opinion.

And don't get me going on about how some single guys dress !
Definite overdressed but that is normal for me anyways.
Meagan
Overdressed for sure … I like to be noticed
Love always …
EvaLynn
Overdressed. A lady never goes out underdressed
Quote by GraceW

I ain't no lady. t-shirt, jeans, sneakers, usually with dirt stains from crawling around under houses or grease stains from crawling around under my truck.

Haha! When I say overdressed it means I wash my face and take a purse instead of shoving my phone and credit card in my jeans pocket. Sometimes I even smear on lipstick if I need help at the hardware store picking out the right floater for my toilet tank. If I don’t fix things they don’t get done.
Quote by WildIrishRose

Haha! When I say overdressed it means I wash my face and take a purse instead of shoving my phone and credit card in my jeans pocket. Sometimes I even smear on lipstick if I need help at the hardware store picking out the right floater for my toilet tank. If I don’t fix things they don’t get done.

I have been known to wash my face on occasion. I probably have a few purses in a box I've not opened in ten years. Phone goes in a pocket or on the seat beside me. I've found a man's wallet in my back pocket is the best way to carry credit cards. As a tradeswoman, I don't often need help beyond what aisle such and such is on. I think lipstick is cheating just a little bit, but hey, if you've got it, flaunt it. Whatever gets you done quickest.

Looks like we're in for a nasty spell of wether.

Gracie Goes To Hollywood's - True

The Night They Tried to Close RUMPLATIONS Bar (with JamesLlewellyn)

More like understated.
Femininely overdressed. I like to leave something to his imagination.
Meagan
I usually don't have much trouble figuring out what to wear. Weddings and funerals are fairly standard. You should know who to dress for an interview. If you're that far off, then check in advance next time. Or maybe all those people got it wrong!
I guess I instinctively over-dress because my appearance is very important to me
Quote by HeraTeleia
I am going with the "overdressed", although I can't imagine ever actually being overdressed, since I wear the same simple 14k earrings with a matching pendant on a box chain necklace, and pretty much stick to a plain but flattering black shift dress and medium high heels when going anywhere, not terribly interesting but it works in 99.5% of occasions.

Revisiting the topic six years on. I haven't been anywhere in the past...I don't know. It's been a while. Maybe 37 million years COVID time? A while. Still would go with "overdressed", although again with the caveat that I am so reserved in my clothing choices that it is difficult to imagine myself in that position.

The dress would now be different--it'd be this one dress made by Calvin Klein a few seasons ago, probably in black (I have the same style in a couple of different colours). This dress is gored, and the hemline is just above the knee. It...well, not lying, I've caused more than one man to lose his capacity for speech upon my standing.

So, that dress, plus black or nude sheer stockings, plus a drape or "waterfall" very light cardigan, plus higher heels than previously posted. Heels would be, by default, black.

Jewelry is different now. Still very simple, but it'd be my leverback diamond solitaire drop earrings in 18k yellow gold.

Or maybe not those earrings. I fell into the antique/vintage jewellery rabbit hole a couple of years ago, so maybe my 17K (the English are weird with gold) drop pearl earrings. They're an astonishingly beautiful exemplar of late Georgian era goldsmithing--the hallmarks indicate that they were made in 1803.

The necklace would now probably be my relatively plain 18k 17" Byzantine weave necklace and maybe the matching bracelet--I didn't purchase the necklace and bracelet as a set, both are flat Byzantine weave, heavy (57 grams for the necklace, I can't remember the bracelet's weight).

And I now wear a black tungsten ring with a thin orange line on my right middle finger. Tungsten isn't expensive, but it does have the quality of breaking as opposed to bending when, say, a firefighter paramedic from some little jurisdiction forgets for one damn second that his ONE JOB is to keep hold of a chunk of concrete while I am demonstrating how to work with civilians to buttress a wall post structural failure. So the one on my hand now, and always, is the second one I've owned--the first was given to me by an instructor at FEMA's Emergency Management Institute. It's on my middle finger because tungsten rings can't be sized, and the original was a size 7, about 1 1/2 sizes too large for my right ring finger.

This ring is engraved on the inside with the words "...so that others may live...", that phrase and the thin orange line being a reference to search and rescue/recovery. Which is a thing I do, although more on the "recovery" (retrieving the body of a lost person) side than the "rescue" (retrieving a lost person alive) side. I never take it off, unless...well, see above. Then it's not so much "taken off" as "shattered into pieces".

The last bit of jewellery would probably be one of several pre-owned or vintage or truly antique rings in platinum or 14k-18k yellow gold, or both. All of my jewellery tends towards the understated side. And of course my stainless steel Citizen watch. Nothing special, just a white military dial version I've had for probably 20 years.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!