Healthy ways to deal with pain...

last reply
16 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Everyone has different ways of dealing with emotional pain or stress. What are some healthy ways to do this? What are some alternatives to extreme management, avoiding ways that may prove to be unhelpful or even harmful.

Is physical pain a bad answer to dealing with or solving emotional pain?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Generally when a person seeks physical pain in order to "deal with" emotional pain, it's because they cannot deal with the emotional pain in a way that resolves the emotional pain. Assuming that the physical pain you're speaking of is temporary and not permanently damaging, it can be a healthy temporizing measure.

That said, the human mind, like the human body, is amazing at adapting to new norms. So you will need to find a way to really tackle the emotional issue underlying your desire for physical pain in the pretty near term; otherwise your emotional self will get used to dealing with emotional stress by experiencing physical pain, and it will take more and more pain to soothe the psyche. There's tons to write on this topic, but I will leave it at this for now and see what input others have before adding more.
Chuckanator
0 likes
Good question. Emotional pain can be crippling to the point of paralyzing your life. When I am under stress I find heavy workouts help me cope. That is a good pain. One that builds up and does not tear down. Plus work outs stimulate natural chemicals in the brain like endorphins that give a sense of well being. Adrenaline is my drug of choice.
Lurker
0 likes
it is a bad way (physical pain)

I know this.

writing poems helps me.

I think.

best of luck to you. xoox
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by 1feistykitten
Everyone has different ways of dealing with emotional pain or stress. What are some healthy ways to do this?

I have found writing in a private journal very therapeutic .... though many here would publish their works. I prefer to keep those things more to myself. And then, at some point, reflect back to where you started and see how much (usually surprisingly) healing has happened.

Quote by 1feistykitten
What are some alternatives to extreme management, avoiding ways that may prove to be unhelpful or even harmful.

I think doing things that feel authentic to YOU is the only way to manage emotional pain/stress.

Quote by 1feistykitten
Is physical pain a bad answer to dealing with or solving emotional pain?

Are you saying .... get involved in some physical pain so that you hurt and the emotional pain is less?? I don't understand that perception.

All I know is that when emotional pain/stress transcends to physical pain ..... you need to seek out professional assistance from a reputable therapist. Stress will debilitate you, causing multiple real sickness in the physical body .... some which could be difficult to rebound from.

Mental health is very important to look after.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Breathe in through the nose...hold it for two seconds...breathe out slowly through the mouth, almost as if you are trying to whistle. Repeat as needed. There is a physiological reason why this relaxes one, but I forget what it is. All I know is that it works.
“It's nice sometimes to open up the heart a little and let some hurt come in. It proves you're still alive.”
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
writing. jotting down my thoughts, whether it be in a journal or simply a sheet of paper, REALLY helps me to articulate what i'm feeling. i find it VERY therapeutic to vent that way.i don't have to edit my thoughts or worry about hurting someone's feelings when writing. also, a good cry helps me to release built up pressure.

Say. Her. Name.

The Engineer
0 likes
Well, sometimes I cry alone, sometimes I make myself a cup of tea and read a book and sometimes I even go on a long walk to enjoy the scenery. Really can't pinpoint on one.
Find Simar on:
1. Skype: Simar Singh
2. Kik: simar2308
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Some great suggestions here.

Working with breathing, plus journalling and walks in the fresh air are all very positive.

However if you feel you are driven to inflicting physical pain on yourself due to overwhelming pressure then professional help or counselling might be a recourse.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
best way to deal with emotional pain in my mind is just taking things slowly, focusing on getting through each day in one piece- after a while it gets easier and most things pass after some time. if it something very bad that happened- maybe go to a shrink- just talking about it and crying your eyes out tends to help
Lurker
0 likes
Time is the biggest healer of all wounds. Like I always say - Its just a phase and it will pass , just hang on till then.
0 likes
I was raised to understand that emotional pain is best dealt with through absolute separation from the source of the pain as quickly and cleanly as possible. Better to suffer one bout of severe (emotional) pain than several bouts of more moderate but far more damaging (emotional) pain.

Not sure that this works for everyone, but it has always worked for me.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Lurker
0 likes
I workout.
Or mow the lawn.

Or write - I have a particular book I'm writing (a modern drama of sorts) - it's about a guy who wanting nothing more than to just settle down and have a happy wife / happy life . . . but every girlfriend turns out to be Medusa or a liar and a cheater or something - something - ruins things for him right when things get going well. I have no idea when it'll end or anything. It might never be published, who knows. But I can only write it when I'm in a shit mood.

I used to punch walls - until I broke my knuckles one time.
0 likes
Talking with my friends and family .Listen to music .Create something in form of a painting Take a relaxing bath.

I used to break things of value but what I mention I do that now when I'm in pain
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Exercise
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Exercise has healthy written all over it smile
0 likes
I usually run away and try and out sleep the pain.
Click below to see