Mixed Signals

last reply
31 replies
3.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Let's say you're romantically or sexually interested in a woman. After finally approaching her or confessing how you feel, she tells you that she doesn't feel the same way and/or is shocked that you'd think that she was. You find this surprising, probably because of some of the things she has done or said. Clearly she has been giving you 'mixed signals'.

What are some of the things that women do (whether it's online or in real life) that you think can be misconstrued as a signal of interest?
Lurker
0 likes
Oh yes I wanna hear the answers to this!
Lurker
0 likes
Most of the time its only mixed signals for me. Laughing at things that are not that funny or original. Also some women are just big teases. When I was younger I would take a "Hi, how are you?" as a mixed signal. This may sound bad, but don't sound over exuberant every time you see them.

If you know that their interested then don't lead them on. I had a girl once tell me that I did absolutely nothing for her, sleeping with me would be like sleeping with her brother she said. I stop calling her for three days, next thing I know she calls angry " why haven't you been calling me, I thought you liked me!".
Constant Gardener
0 likes
'Did she just accidentally rub her firm titties into my forearm, as she was trying to squeeze through the crowd, on her way to wherever...even though there was enough room for her to drive a snow mobile through the same walkway?'
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
I think this is a problem not because women give mixed signals but because most guys don't know how to handle attention from women or interpret signals correctly. If she laughs at your joke, it doesn't mean she wants to fuck you. If she offers to pay for your coffee because you happen to be together when ordering, it doesn't mean she wants to fuck you. If she says hi to you because you are acquaintances it doesn't mean she want to fuck you. If she is walking up to the alter to get married and she happens to glance at you as she does, no she still doesn't want to fuck you.

I guess guys are wired to explore every possibility no matter how remote. That drive to procreate I guess.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I haven't received mixed signals in quite some time, but when I was younger I was prone to misinterpret comfort in my presence as interest in me. I was always quite shy and only once did I actually proposition the girl.

This girl was seriously hawt. She was an aerobics instructor and absolutely beautiful inside and out. We were reasonably good friends and hung out quite a bit. After about 6 months of being her friend I finally worked up the nerve to let her know that I was romantically interested in her and that I felt those same vibes coming from her. After telling her that, her eyes got huge and the next thing I knew I was on the ground from a poorly placed snap kick (she was aiming for my groin and she hit my abs). We didn't hang out much after that and I began to reevaluate the way I was interpreting signals.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
lol.. i really wanna hear about this one..
idk how to be nice without being misinterpreted by the guys..
i smile when i see a guy i know, laugh when i hear good jokes from a guy, anxiously listening when a guy talks smartly, text back when i got an sms, offer helps when a guy need help.. and maybe touch lightly just to show that i interested and feel good with him around as a friend.. (guys i know of course)

now, for the guys that i know they liked me.. i always try to avoid being (too) nice to them, coz i dun want them to get it wrong. i like them as friends, and just friends for that time.. but, it's hard to avoiding them, when i really enjoying time hanging around with them. it's almost ended bad most time..

can u guys tell what i need to do so we can be good, both side.. silly
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Mixed signals eh?

I had a cyber thing (incl. webcam fun) going with this girl and when we met irl she wanted to sleep with me. Note, just sleep, no sex.

Another time one of my female friends grabbed my ass at a party. She was married and when I confronted her about it she denied doing it consciously.
Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i think i tend to give out mixed signals - funny, but somehow being nice and attentive translates as... well, as Felix says, into 'i want to fuck'. so, i'm left with the choice of being misunderstood, or being rude...

btw, MF? i want to fuck - hope that wasn't too unclear! *giggles*

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Crystal... Buuuut that might break site rules.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
I think this is a problem not because women give mixed signals but because most guys don't know how to handle attention from women or interpret signals correctly.

If she is walking up to the alter to get married and she happens to glance at you as she does, no she still doesn't want to fuck you.

I guess guys are wired to explore every possibility no matter how remote. That drive to procreate I guess.

on more than one occasion this statement has been proven un-true.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I don't know how often its mixed signals or just me being completely and utterly clueless to the point where really, really obvious signals go right over my head. But I've had times, most notably right now with someone on my floor in college where I can't for the life of me tell if she's flirting with intent to get into bed or just being friendly.
Lurker
0 likes
Yeah, I think the 'mixed signals' idea is almost always men over-reacting to or completely misreading a woman's actions. A bogus defense after a guy does or says something stupid. I've been told I'm the sort of guy who fails to pick up on perfectly obvious signals that she is interested. The completely clueless defense.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Sometimes a woman gives a guy 'signals' cause she just wants to make the real guy she is interested in jealous or push him to make a move.

There are countless scenarios. And countless misinterpretations.

Often many guys haven't a clue when women send them signals. And often men are too stupid to read that she is only giving him negative signs. Move on dumbass. And the guys with the very aggressive approach are usually the most stupid.

If the guy is what she wants, I think most women keep on until they break through to him. Sometimes that takes a while. ha

In reality, there are a lot of pretty straight forward women that don't beat around the bush (not that kind of bush!). They come out and tell you.
0 likes
I wonder...like Sprite said, sometimes it's a choice of being your version of "normal" or coming off rude. I'd rather err on the side of not being rude.

The flip side is, I've had lots of guys misinterpret my friendly touch on the elbow and/or greeting kiss on each cheek as something wayyy more than what it is, which is an expression of caring and implicit trust. This misinterpretation seems to happen regardless of whether or not I am accompanied by my s/o. Maybe it's a cultural thing?
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by mranonymous7

on more than one occasion this statement has been proven un-true.

Examples and sources or shut your hick mouth up.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Both genders are equally guilty in this Paradise of fun. Girls are the Masters of Flirting and Teasing. Most of the time it means just that Flirting and Teasing. But often in this time of much more sexual freedom, it means your place or mine.

Do you young ones still say that I know I do but it may not be the term of 21 Century?

Yes, guys misreading the signals every day. However, the difference between flirting and teasing and something much more heated is so fine. Should we expect men not to misread the signals at least a significant amount of the time?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have to confess that this happened to me very recently on Lush and it was 100% my fault. She never said or did anything to me to indicate a serious sexual interest in me, yet when she told me that she had "found someone". I reacted like a hurt puppy, which I had no right to do. One would think that someone my age with a fair amount of experience would be mature enough to just swallow my stupid pride and wish her well. It took me a day or so, but I finally did what I should've done to begin with. I owe her an apology. I have criticized many guys for this exact type of behavior, and look at me. Well, at least I didn't lash out at her for that BS "leading me on" bullshit that men just make up at times. I'll shut up.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i think i tend to give out mixed signals - funny, but somehow being nice and attentive translates as... well, as Felix says, into 'i want to fuck'. so, i'm left with the choice of being misunderstood, or being rude...

I agree with Felix.
But sometimes, I just want to be loved by someone, or at least respected by them.
Take our well known beautiful women here, and there are many,
I would be a fool if I wanted more from them. I think good examples would be sprite, BethanyFrasier, and a few others in my personal case. I openly tell them I love them, and pray they will "love" me back, but certainly NOT by fucking me. I deeply admire and look up to both women as extraordinary, exceptional women, not as future sex partners. They teach me, respect me, and see how strange I am but don't ridicule me.
So it is true, what you say Felix, but I think in a small number of cases one must make an exception.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Let's say you're romantically or sexually interested in a woman. After finally approaching her or confessing how you feel, she tells you that she doesn't feel the same way and/or is shocked that you'd think that she was. You find this surprising, probably because of some of the things she has done or said. Clearly she has been giving you 'mixed signals'.

What are some of the things that women do (whether it's online or in real life) that you think can be misconstrued as a signal of interest?

When they smile and say "hello"?
Lurker
0 likes
I think things can always be misconstrued and both ways.
Sometimes, we just believe we are seeing what we want to see.
A person who really loves themselves will probably think that everyone loves them. On the other hand, someone lacking self confidence will need a great deal of persuading that someone is interested in them.
Equally, there can be genuinely mixed signals if the person is unsure of their feelings. Perhaps they are sexually aroused and react in a certain way on an evening out, but then in the cold light of day, after engaging their brain, they see things differently. An interesting question which is open to interpretation in so many different ways!

Interesting to see different people's experiences anyway.

Personally, I couldn't pin-point anything in particular...maybe just girls flirting to attract attention and feel appreciated, with no underlying desire for that to be anymore than some attention seeking for themselves.
0 likes
I had the opposite problem when I was single, not knowing a girl liked me until... well, she found a way to get her point across...

Don't believe everything that you read.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I'm.... well I'm pretty fucking clueless so anything less than a very direct message isn't even a mixed signal. It'll go right over my head. Hell, my last girlfriend on the date when we made it official and first tumbled each other. She was wearing this very fancy little black dress, lots of eye contact, etc etc etc. Invited me back to her room and everything, still took her asking "Are you going to kiss me now?" for me to realize that there was sex in my future.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Grabbing my crotch. I thought that meant "go"

To her it was a game of how far to go and how much she could get away with before I got in trouble with her significant other, or mine...
Massage Chronicles - Milked and PLeasured by Bailey Part One Bailey was the first Masseuse that ever that ever Milked Me, after that I was hooked, It was unforgettable.

My Introduction To Chelsey And My First Erotic Massage It was a memorable very first erotic massage

Keli, Hockey Chick in the True Story category
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Honorablewolf
I don't know how often its mixed signals or just me being completely and utterly clueless to the point where really, really obvious signals go right over my head. But I've had times, most notably right now with someone on my floor in college where I can't for the life of me tell if she's flirting with intent to get into bed or just being friendly.

I default to 'She wants to get to know me better'. Which is the trigger to do the conversation thing. At some point you determine if she will meet you again & go from there. If she really does want to fuck it will emerge during the conversation. Of course all this requires some experience, which can only be acquired by, experience. So start talking to them ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
All genders can sometimes be guilty of giving mixed signals. Sometimes it is through nievity .I have been guilty of the latter in the past and had to brush up on body language and eye contact as I found I was sending false signals. Sometimes people can find another person attractive or of interest to them but their existing arrangements i.e. existing relationship, prevents them from taking things further. It can be a bit of a minefield out there.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There is no doubt in my mind that when a woman is overly friendly, laughs with you and from time to time touches you in even a non-sexual way. She is not saying I want to Fuck You. But certainly, she is sending a signal that it is not impossible.

Guys seem to be programmed to push the envelope. Thank God they are.
0 likes
Tough to answer.

Most guys aren’t hit-on or approached by women very rarely. And if they are, it’s because that women likes them. So, for some guys, just the act of being friendly and flirty (in the non-sexual way) can be a mixed signal or misconstrued.

A woman admitting they used to have a crush is a super MIXED signal lol because the question, naturally, becomes, “and what about now?”.
Lurker
0 likes
If a lady and I have been talking on a near-daily basis for over a month about our lives and delving into personal stuff, it signals that they may have an interest in starting something. Especially if you've gone on a few dates in that time too, it should not be surprising that a guy thinks you are romantically interested in them. Beyond that, any cuddling or kissing that you do when you've seen each other in person can be interpreted as a romantic gesture by a man, even if it was just a "spur of the moment" thing for the woman.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I think the Me Too movement has demonstrated how easily men can assume things that weren’t actually meant as interest. A smile, even a flirtation isn’t necessarily an invitation for anything other than friendship. Women are adept at signaling intent when they want to. The problem is many men want to see this reaction so badly they can convince themselves it was there when it wasn’t.