Login

Is Chivalry Dead?

last reply
16 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
As an old school guy, I like treating women well, in and out of the bedroom. I love doing nice things for the women I'm with, whether she be a stranger coming off an elevator or a love interest. I still open doors, give up my coat, share a sip or bite of what I'm having, treat her to the best of the best, and surprise her with the type of flowers or things she likes. IMHO, chivalry does not diminish or take away any power or status from any woman or person. If anything, i see it as a form of demonstrating your esteem for that person, as well as, respect, admiration, edification, and love.

Chivalry is defined as a combination of qualities including: courage, honor, courtesy, justice, and a readiness to help (doesn't mean the other person is helpless). I am confident that there are many men in and out the Lush community that are aligned with these qualities. However, that doesn't mean it is widely accepted or still viewed as OK in these times. I have been given dirty looks for holding a door open or allowing someone to go before me, be it an exit or check out line. Mind you, this has been the exception, as opposed to the norm.

These days, it seems (IMO) that chivalry is afraid to come out of the shadows, so to speak, but that shouldn't be. At least this is my perspective.

Ladies, your thoughts on chivalry? Would you like to kill it or revive it? If the latter, which courtesies do you enjoy or would rather do without?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Unfortunately, I do believe so. Opening car doors, pulling out chairs, for a woman , shoot just holding the door so a woman can walk through seems to be a thing of the past.
Love and accept yourself 1st?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hello Scent_of_a_Woman. You asked for ideas from the ladies, and while I certainly don’t qualify as a lady, I’d like to offer my opinion to reinforce what you’ve said. I was raised to be a gentleman and so that comes natural to me. The only thing about your post that I’ll have to disagree with is where you said, “I have been given dirty looks for holding a door open or allowing someone to go before me, be it an exit or checkout line.” It’s impossible for me to even imagine not holding the door open or letting her go first. The only reaction I have ever received was a ‘thank you’ or at the very least, a nice smile.

If I’m about to enter a building with my lady friend and there is another woman close behind us, I’ll open the door for my friend, then continue holding it until the woman behind can also enter. Then I step through. I’ve been known to do this same thing even if it’s a guy that’s following us.

I’ll admit, I’ve seen men walk through a door without making even the slightest attempt to hold it open until she gets there, and it always makes me wonder, ‘why do you do that?’ At times, I’ve been tempted to ask him that question, but I keep quiet and don’t say anything.

To answer your question, no, I don’t think chivalry is dead, or at least, I sure hope not. It will be interesting to read what the ladies of this site have to say, though I have a fair idea what the response of most of them will be.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
Lurker
0 likes
Thank you, 1SexyWoman and LikeToWrite. Appreciate both your comments.

@LikeToWrite, I agree with your comment/disagreement with one of my statements. I edited that sentence to be more accurate, as it sounded as if I only received negative reactions, which is not true. The majority were positive. Although some positive responses had overtones of "Thanks, but you didn't need to do that". At least this has been my experience where I live.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Chivalry is no more than courtesy, respect, honor, and benevolence, be it male for female, or the reverse. It is the better advantaged looking out for the lesser advantaged; helping without judgement, expectation of acknowledgement or reward. It is simply being the best human you can be. It's not just for women. It's for everyone.
Chat Moderator
0 likes
It should be maintained for many reasons you've described. It says a lot when my man holds the door for me and waits to sit until I'm seated. It's unfortunate that those manners are not so popular with the younger generation.
Saucy Little Minx ♥️
0 likes
Oh I hope it never dies it is such a special thing!

I took my 16 year old son to a formal dinner once and on the way there I went over things I wanted him to do, I told him that when a lady leaves/returns to the table to stand up which made all the other men at the table do it too god forbid they got outshined by a 16 year old smile

As a parent I believe that it is my job to make him the best man he can be in any given situation, give a lady a seat on a bus or if it is an older person male or female to do that too. I always hold the door open for the next person its just a nice thing to do. I know that children are very influenced by their parents so I try to always be aware of situations he can learn from without me telling him I try to show him.

Chivalry won’t die if we teach our children what it means
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Beffer
Chivalry is no more than courtesy, respect, honor, and benevolence, be it male for female, or the reverse. It is the better advantaged looking out for the lesser advantaged; helping without judgement, expectation of acknowledgement or reward. It is simply being the best human you can be. It's not just for women. It's for everyone.

That is the best description of chivalry I have ever heard. THANK YOU for reminding everyone here what the true meaning is.

To Bria: THANK YOU for being such a great parent. Your young man is very lucky to have you as his mother. The little things you are teaching him now, will serve him well throughout his life. You're right when you said that children imitate their parents. I tip my hat to you! Keep up the good work.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
The Linebacker
0 likes
My mom taught me to open doors, pull out chairs, etc. and l still do it.
Щíccαη Щoods Щhore
0 likes
Chivalry - the sum of the ideal qualifications of an honorable man.

Honor - mature in mindset, good moral values, honesty, fairness, integrity in beliefs und actions, which would definitely include kindness und a more genetically evolved intelligence as well.

In this "literal" sense I would say yes "Chivalry ist Dead" as common practice for current male demographic, especially certain ethnic grouping, in many countries who seemingly have little if any chivalry, if they can spell it, or if their ancestry ever had it, when comparing them to more honorable Ages of history.

Can it be flawed genetics, bad parenting, social influence, a lessor feminine female demographic, or that many men have little idea what a more independent "modern woman" truly wants of them?
I have much doubt it ist the complete fault of the male species.

This reminds me of many stories I've read about the older American west.
Much of it false und over-dramatized of course, but the women who ventured with their men to make a new life there were strong, independent women in many more ways than at present, und these same women, either directly or indirectly, pioneered Women's Rights in the U.S., but at the same time they never lost their virtue to be an extremely feminine female.

This simple thing allowed men to be chivalrous, instead of phobic, wimpy, sexist, or domineering that seems to be the more common now,...though I have faith there ist still a large minority of exceptional men roaming about...smiles

I'm quite glad my culture ist one of the many who still commonly practice such ancestral value, courtesy, und respect for a strong-willed, but feminine woman who loves it much...smiles
. . .♀♌TT☩✯⁂⊕⧋▽⧊ )◯( ψΨ∅ǯǮǯ∞✾❈❁✤. . .
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When I went through an aggressive feminist phase I growled and got angry with male chivalry, but as I have gotten older I have come to appreciate it again. Makes me feel intensely feminine
Lurker
0 likes
I like a man to be polite and open the car door, or pull out my chair if eating out i think it is so important to have good manners these days. So often in this day and age that is not thought about. Politeness and good manners go a long way.I am one of the lucky ones in this respect.
colin123
0 likes
Not as far as I am concerned
Lurker
0 likes
Not in my house, it's not
0 likes
Not w/ the men I chill w/ and know.
They all do that for me and I've seen them implement such manners towards other women.
Lurker
0 likes
Not dead.