Login

Using a degorotary word is it advised?

last reply
9 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
I'm thinking of writing my next story, there is a degoratory term I want to use. The word sums up the meaning of the context.

It is a racial slur word, but my story is set in a time when the word would be used and not seen as a racial slur.

Should I use it?

Thanks
Divine Rapscallion
Thanks for asking in advance. You would be best advised not to submit such a story here at Lush; we don't accept stories containing racial slurs. If anyone sees one used in a story here, we would ask that it be brought to our attention.
Maggie R
Active Ink Slinger
Thanks for that Maggie smile I just wasn't sure if I should use it. Glad I asked. xoxo
Advanced Wordsmith
It is only the Fracked up world we live in .... Even the greats like Twain,Salinger, and Steinbeck have fallen victim to PC censorship over the years. Humans have become ignorant on so many levels. Common sense has been washed away by social imprints of what is right and wrong. I believe it to be a Damn Shame!
Active Ink Slinger
True. What is truly sad is, by being overly sensitive to these kinds of issues, we perpetuate the concept that there are differences between various poples.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Active Ink Slinger
Well the word I was going to use (I'm obviously not going to put it in) has a racial sexual meaning.

So I thought it best to ask. Although I do agree with you IC_n_2u amd DLizze the world can be over sensitive.

I have the plot in my head and characters etc. Just lucky I asked about inserting the word so my story doesn't get deleted.
The posts above have given you guidance to both Lush's policies and the concept of the readers.
DLizze is only too correct that it is sad that people are now overly sensitive to these issues.

Lenny Bruce's conclusion was that it is the suppression of words that gives them the power to hurt have still not released us from the chains that bind our language. We still use racial slurs in anger. Why? Because we believe they hurt...

"Well, I was just trying to make a point, and that is that it's the suppression of the word that gives it the power, the violence, the viciousness." L.Bruce

Perhaps someday soon we can accept all human beings as our brothers and sisters and lovers, but as much I would love to see it; I don't expect to see it soon.

"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy." L.Bruce
Matriarch
The word you are looking for is derogatory
Active Ink Slinger
Nice catch, Nicola. I missed that. LOL
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Matriarch
Quote by DLizze
Nice catch, Nicola. I missed that. LOL

My first ever job was a proofreader. I can't help myself when I see errors, even now. My brain judders to a halt. My psychiatrist and I laugh about it all the time.