More Synonyms Please

last reply
33 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Words for which you wish there were more synonyms.

My vote would go for KISS ~ writing these sexy stories I am often finding myself wishing there were more words for kissing.

SMOOCH is nice but not very sensual, PECK is too prudish, SNOG is a bit too comical to convey tenderness (and I'm not sure American readers are familiar with snogging).

I'd like to hear any other writer's thoughts about words they have to repeat time and time again.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes, it's a problem I run into quite a lot. Which word is the problem depends on the story. If I was writing a story about, say, carrots, I would soon be wishing there were more synonyms for carrot. But when I find myself groping for more synonyms, sometimes I think it is just an indication that I am over-using a particular subject in my story and that I should move the story on.

For kissing, you can just describe it, "she felt the touch of his lips on the sensitive spot just below her ear", or "his open mouth brushed against hers". Or is that a bit too Mills & Boon for you?
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by nylon_punkie
Words for which you wish there were more synonyms.

My vote would go for KISS ~ writing these sexy stories I am often finding myself wishing there were more words for kissing.

SMOOCH is nice but not very sensual, PECK is too prudish, SNOG is a bit too comical to convey tenderness (and I'm not sure American readers are familiar with snogging).

I'd like to hear any other writer's thoughts about words they have to repeat time and time again.

If you describe kissing rather than just say kissing, you can avoid the word ("She pressed her lips against his neck, her teeth nipping at his skin."). Same with fucking, licking, sucking, yadayadayada.

That said, I ask my phone for synonyms like every ten minutes when I'm writing.
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

If you describe kissing rather than just say kissing, you can avoid the word ("She pressed her lips against his neck, her teeth nipping at his skin."). Same with fucking, licking, sucking, yadayadayada.

That said, I ask my phone for synonyms like every ten minutes when I'm writing.

This is precisely what I was thinking
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i'm a huge fan of synonym buns...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
I will use rhymezone.com constantly when writing. Not for rhymes, usually, but for it's listings of synonyms.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for your responses, I just find myself wishing there were more kissy type words when I'm writing.

Another of my wishes would be for more (and better) synonyms for Vagina.

There are seemingly thousands for Penis but only two or three good ones for Vagina.

While we're on the subject, one word I can't get along with is PETALS ~ my vagina does not have petals!?

Maybe I'm growing the wrong flowers in my little garden but I've never looked a some petals and thought, "Hey, that looks just like me!"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Green_Man

I will use rhymezone.com constantly when writing. Not for rhymes, usually, but for it's listings of synonyms.

I hadn't thought of using rhymezone, thank you for the suggestion.

My 'go to' is thesaurus.com when I'm editing, I can get quite excited when I'm writing the dirtier bits and my descriptions need some variety added once I've calmed down. smile

Usually, my web searches involve near spellings: past/passed, practise/practice, marvelous/marvellous, that sort of thing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
I had to laugh out loud when I read your comment. You are so funny. Your sense of humour is amazing, but not only that, it’s your sense of timing that is so perfect. How you can think of some of the things you do is beyond me. You must have a mind that is like no other. It’s no wonder we all love you so much. Please, don’t ever change.

In case you’re wondering, yes, I’m a huge fan of synonym buns also.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
Baked Orange
0 likes
I need more words for pussy. Though pussy is a great word.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by TangerineSky
I need more words for pussy. Though pussy is a great word.

snatch, twat, slit, fuckhole. just for starters smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Baked Orange
0 likes
Quote by sprite

snatch, twat, slit, fuckhole. just for starters smile

*Pulls out my notepad and starts jotting*
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Words that I need more synonyms for at the moment are:

Tentacles. Sprite informs us on another thread that more stories are required on this topic, so I am attempting to fulfil the need. Are they limbs? Arms? Or legs?

Bikini bottom. That's a horrible term anyway. "swimming costume" sounds about 60 years out of date, and "swimsuit" not much better, as well as implying a one-piece.

Fabric. You can say "material" or specify the type of material, maybe "cotton".

So I can write a sentence "The slimy tentacles wriggled all over the flimsy fabric of her bikini bottom", but it gets difficult if you want to write several paragraphs on this theme.
Resident Otaku
0 likes
Depending on the mood of my character, will depend on how he describes it. However, I don't think I've ever used the word vagina. Usually, it's just the phrase "enter her," but I've also used phrases like "intimate area". Pussy has been used but I've never used anything too vulgar because I find it a turn off. There are many words for having sex though which can remove having to use the word vagina such as just saying "I make love to her/become intimate/fuck.." (and then continuing to describe the act.)
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by NicolasBelvoir

Tentacles. Sprite informs us on another thread that more stories are required on this topic, so I am attempting to fulfil the need. Are they limbs? Arms? Or legs?

Bikini bottom. That's a horrible term anyway. "swimming costume" sounds about 60 years out of date, and "swimsuit" not much better, as well as implying a one-piece.

So I can write a sentence "The slimy tentacles wriggled all over the flimsy fabric of her bikini bottom", but it gets difficult if you want to write several paragraphs on this theme.

do what Liz did with foof. make up a synonym, then get people here to start using it and, eventually, it will become part of the lush lexicon.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I'm a homophoneophobe
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by NicolasBelvoir

On tentacles. Here's advice I've gave before, because I've written way too many tentacles ask sprite.

so perhaps I'm better off being ignored but if there is a universal lesson, it is when you can't describe something, let the audience imagine while you describe something else. Focus on the characters emotions, you can never go wrong with the violated ick factor,or emphasizing the transition from here is a octopus alien that is doing things to me, to I can't believe I'm enjoying this, very much like a nonconsent story with safety guards up to prevent a reader from actually believing it could happen to them. There's also the action verb, twisting turning, sliding grinding gyrating pulsing, slamming smacking and on and on not saying that you did not do any of these things, The other thought is to compare the monsters to things in the real world, octopuses, squid, come to mind, but also the feel of the phallus like things, are, soft, spindly, giving or rigid or both, it's also an excellent opportunity to involve different shapes and sizes, more volumes of semen or acts like double or triple or however many you want penetration, and sounding, solving advantage of the sex monster, whatever you can imagine.

Or tentacles: tendrils, vine, protrusions, appendages, feelers, arms, phallic-shaped, rope, binds/bonds (bdsm stuff)

So you can focus on what they doing to, like it is fucking, a tentacle is a cock, dick, phallus whatever.
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Quote by nylon_punkie
Thanks for your responses, I just find myself wishing there were more kissy type words when I'm writing.

Another of my wishes would be for more (and better) synonyms for Vagina.

There are seemingly thousands for Penis but only two or three good ones for Vagina.

While we're on the subject, one word I can't get along with is PETALS ~ my vagina does not have petals!?

Maybe I'm growing the wrong flowers in my little garden but I've never looked a some petals and thought, "Hey, that looks just like me!"

There are actually quite a few flowers that look like, well maybe not precisely you, but close enough. The petal analogy (as well as 'flower' itself) is very old in English.
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
cunny, molly, oyster, dove (a common Spanish euphemism, for whatever reason), cooch/coochie, lotus, cauldron, pan (older than Shakespeare), biscuit and bean (a term passed on by an English exchange student -- cracked me up), eel trap (kinda ich), quim, yoni, jelly roll, minge...

Really, the list is endless, if you're not feeling lazy.

And, to answer the obvious question, I do have a fondness for pussy.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil
cunny, molly, oyster, dove (a common Spanish euphemism, for whatever reason), cooch/coochie, lotus, cauldron, pan (older than Shakespeare), biscuit and bean (a term passed on by an English exchange student -- cracked me up), eel trap (kinda ich), quim, yoni, jelly roll, minge...

One of my wife's favourites is "willy winkle" - which I think is cute. And yes, I like pussy too.

GrushaVashnadze's best stories:

Alison Goes to London (RR) - "love this... fun, and funny, and sexy" (sprite)

The Cursed Cunt (RR) - "holyyyyy sheeeiiit.... Your writing is fucking fantastic" (CarltonStJames)

A Worthless Filthy Fucking Smoking Trash Cunt Whore (RR) - "Brilliantly done. Of course." (naughtyannie)

Snow White and the Seven Dildos (RR) - "Fuck. It's perfect.... honestly genius and so fucking well executed." (VioletVixen)

Metamorphoses (RR) - "so imaginative and entertaining" (saucymh)

And There Came Two Angels to Sodom - "What a deliciously worded story! So juicy, so raunchy" (el_henke)

Fuck-Talk (with VioletVixen) - "Jeez. I feel rendered wordless by how much clever fucking fun this is" (Jaymal)

Clumeleon
0 likes
"Kiss" is the one that gets me, too. Always agonising over different ways to write about kissing.

"Smile" as well. I have plenty of synonyms, but my characters seem to be smiling a lot and I quickly run out.
Partner-in-Lust / Cummunist
0 likes
With "smile" wouldn't be possible to use some of the different 'ways' of smiling? Like beam, grin, smirk, simper, sneer...
Curiosity is one of those insatiable passions that grow by gratification.
Partner-in-Lust / Cummunist
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil

I haven't heard of 'dove' here in Argentina, but we do have a bunch of other animalistic euphemisms for genitalia.

A few for pussy: clam, croochie, scabbard, camel toe, dick glove, cock pocket, flycatcher (love this one) or fly trap, vertical smile, snapper, muff
Curiosity is one of those insatiable passions that grow by gratification.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by AvidlyCurious
With "smile" wouldn't be possible to use some of the different 'ways' of smiling? Like beam, grin, smirk, simper, sneer...

I do, but still find myself repeating.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
In the last thing I wrote, would have been nice to have an alternative to "stare" that wasn't a cliche.
for earth the wonder of,
of all life not above,
heed love, need love;
seed love—
love love.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by CoyotlMittens
In the last thing I wrote, would have been nice to have an alternative to "stare" that wasn't a cliche.

Elevator or escalator would work... or steps...

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Well now it would be nice to have a synonym for "groan"!

(Kidding, I actually derive 75% of my energy from puns, so it's much appreciated.) smile
for earth the wonder of,
of all life not above,
heed love, need love;
seed love—
love love.
Sexy Seductive Siren
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Elevator or escalator would work... or steps...

I think they were talking about sight? I would say ogle would one, or, perhaps, awed, stunned, like a deer in the headlights, frozen, I could probably think of others if I wasn't so damn tired. My last work zoom meeting ended just a half-hour ago.
Meagan