How far do you compromise?

last reply
21 replies
3.2k views
0 watchers
1 like
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
So, I have a voice, and obviously not everyone cares for that voice. I could change that voice, change my writing style, to be more popular, and maybe that would be the write thing to do. But obviously there's a limit--at least, I imagine so. At some point, you say, I'm not simply going to write just what's popular. I'm going to stay (partly) true to myself.

How do you decide where to stop this compromise?
for earth the wonder of,
of all life not above,
heed love, need love;
seed love—
love love.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by CoyotlMittens
So, I have a voice, and obviously not everyone cares for that voice. I could change that voice, change my writing style, to be more popular, and maybe that would be the write thing to do. But obviously there's a limit--at least, I imagine so. At some point, you say, I'm not simply going to write just what's popular. I'm going to stay (partly) true to myself.

How do you decide where to stop this compromise?

as for myself, i don't compromise at all. i write what i want, in my own style - people either enjoy what i do or they don't - yes, i prefer that they do, but i'm not going to change to please people - as long as someone enjoys what i do - as long as YOU enjoy what you do, what others think shouldn't matter.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
You're talking about the difference between stories an author wants to write and the stories readers want to read. I have no clue what readers want to read, so I can't really pander to them even if I was so inclined. I'm more inclined to write only what interests me, or challenges me.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
None.

I've been studying the trends of erotica readers and the performance of my own stories across multiple sites for over a decade now, so I have a pretty good idea of what every readership niche I'm interested in writing likes. I don't use that information to inform my writing, but rather where I put the finished product.

Don't compromise. Find your audience through carefully considered placement of what you want to write. Stories can and often do cross categories. Find out what's doing well in all appropriate categories, and see which has the most friendly eyes for your content.

Keep plugging away. If it feels like nobody is reading you, give it time. Slowly, but surely, you'll pick up readers, and as you do, the higher scores, vote counts, number of comments, etc. will attract others.

If you write it, they will come. ( Pun intended )
0 likes
Quote by RejectReality
None.

I've been studying the trends of erotica readers and the performance of my own stories across multiple sites for over a decade now, so I have a pretty good idea of what every readership niche I'm interested in writing likes. I don't use that information to inform my writing, but rather where I put the finished product.

Don't compromise. Find your audience through carefully considered placement of what you want to write. Stories can and often do cross categories. Find out what's doing well in all appropriate categories, and see which has the most friendly eyes for your content.

Keep plugging away. If it feels like nobody is reading you, give it time. Slowly, but surely, you'll pick up readers, and as you do, the higher scores, vote counts, number of comments, etc. will attract others.

If you write it, they will come. ( Pun intended )

What he said. And Rachel, too, but this one expands on the point a bit.

I know that I could expand my audience by writing more in certain categories and in certain ways but that's not why I'm writing. I'm writing for pleasure, not to have millions worshipping at my feet (though I'll take that if I can get it).

And I'll have to hunt it up, but Neil Gaiman, multi-award winning, New York Times bestselling fantasy author has said pretty much the same thing, most recently on his Twitter. Basically, his take was more or less "write what you love and the audience will come along".

This one is a good start:

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/939660224235016192
Lurker
0 likes
There's compromise... and then there's improving your established voice / style.

Improvement means using your strengths to enhance and boost your weak points. It also means understanding what your reader group does enjoy, and working on improving those components and appealing to more people in and around that audience group.

If you want to write works that are more popular, finds ways of incorporating popular elements into your story . . . without compromising. Consider it a challenge to undertake.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My wife's and I entire life is compromise. That is why we get along so well. Our shared wife lifestyle started with compromise. I told her if she would have sex with my best friend, I would take her to the Caribbean.
Weaver of Words
0 likes
I write what I like, though if it also pleases my readers, that is a plus.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

as for myself, i don't compromise at all. i write what i want, in my own style - people either enjoy what i do or they don't - yes, i prefer that they do, but i'm not going to change to please people - as long as someone enjoys what i do - as long as YOU enjoy what you do, what others think shouldn't matter.

EXACTLY, sprite and that's what I have been telling folks since I got here. Your stories and poems will show if your heart is in them and if you don't love what you are doing it will show in your work. Write what you want to write and how you want to say it. Those who don't want to hear that type of story or poem always have the option of blocking the category or not reading that particular piece. These are your works and you should always write to please yourself first - and let those who wish to read them do so afterward. When you start compromising you cheat yourself AND you cheat others.
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
I've experimented with different styles and genres, but usually to push myself as a writer, not to please other people. On the couple of occasions when I have tried to write a deliberate "crowd-pleaser", I've never been totally happy with the results. And they've generally done less well than the ones that have come from the heart, so maybe that's a sign.

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

God Empress of Lush
0 likes
Thinking a bit more about this, early on in my Lush life (December 2011) I wrote an -themed story (with the catchy title "Open Air Sex With Daddy, Mummy and Brother") that was written purely and simply to attract as many hits as possible, because I knew that was a popular category. It was deliberately over-the-top, and quite honestly it wasn't my best work, although it was fairly popular, and I wasn't too disappointed when it was taken offline in 2014 during the purge on such stories.

I subsequently rewrote it as "Alfresco Orgy", and I do think the revised version was better (though maybe I was just a better writer by then).

However, the original story then reappeared online in 2017, when " fantasies" was restored as a category.

So you now have the chance to compare the two, and see which you prefer!

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/incest/open-air-sex-with-daddy-mummy-and.aspx (NB only read if you're okay with fantasies)

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/group-sex/alfresco-orgy.aspx

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Advanced Wordsmith
1 like
I write to please myself. My best stories are the true ones. They were also my favorite stories to write. The other stories were written to my fantasies, not that I would like to experience things that far. The true stories are also the most popular by a lot. Peoples favorite story was when I was sixteen and was taken advantage of by a young doctor.
0 likes
I agree with others that you shouldn't pander to an audience, but instead, you should write what you want and let the appropriate audience find you. On the other hand, if you're a developing writer (and we all are to some extent or other), you should also be attentive to what works and what doesn't in your writing in order to improve your craft. Not every instinct you (or I) have as a writer is a great one. Sometimes we take chances with our writing, and sometimes it doesn't work out. If it fails, there's no sense in doubling down on it, and calling it your 'style.' Instead, you can learn from your mistakes. But if you really believe in what you're doing, then by all means, go with it and do your thing.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I wrote a commission for someone that ended up being really popular. The three-part series has gotten 100,000 views between this and another site. But I hate it. The kinks do nothing for me and it was a chore to write. I am glad so many people enjoyed it, but even knowing how popular it was, I can hardly bring myself to write it anymore. I wish the stuff I loved writing was half as popular, but my preferred genre might be too niche.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Lurker
0 likes
I have never really ever written a single thing for myself. I’ve always written with an audience in mind. So I guess I’m pretty compromised. I’d sell out pretty fast for a broader audience.
Lurker
0 likes
Nope, nada, none.

I write for myself. I write what I like to read. Sometimes, I write to poke trolls with a stick. But I never compromise.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by sprite

This.

I change my style often because I enjoy experimenting. Straight, gay, first person or third, it just depends on what I want to write. The same for categories. I’ve written in about 40 or so, but I’ve never written in one to just put a notch in my belt. Every story has a point and a voice. Each one was my best effort at the time. I write because I love to write. I want to be read, but I’m not gonna to write something I don’t want to just for viewes
Lurker
0 likes
I write strictly for my own humors. I have nothing to offer but my words and at times, I stretch my limit. I'm in no race for badges numbers. Most of my ideas come from out of the blue...some crash dive.
Lurker
0 likes
Wow what a forum topic.
I've only written one thing for Lush and I didn't really have to write it.
It was easy for me since it was about my own real and personal Lush experiences.
If I did decide to write something else for Lush?
I couldn't compromise my heart just to get votes.
I think anyone who could do that is just fulfilling their need to to belong,
and not billboarding their moral character.