Favourite Quotes

last reply
145 replies
19.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
”Relationships don’t work the way they do on television and in the movies. Will they? Won’t they? And then they finally do, and they’re happy forever. Give me a break. Nine out of ten of them end because they weren’t right for each other to begin with, and half of the ones who get married get divorced anyway, and I’m telling you right now, through all this stuff, I have not become a cynic. I haven’t. Yes, I do happen to believe that love is mainly about pushing chocolate covered candies and, you know, in some cultures, a chicken. You can call me a sucker, I don’t care, because I do believe in it. Bottom line is: it’s couples who are truly right for each other wade through the same crap as everybody else, but the big difference is they don’t let it take them down. One of those two people will stand up and fight for that relationship every time. If it’s right, and they’re real lucky, one of them will say something.” - Dr. Cox
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
And some more of my favorites:
" I could not fail to disagree less with my colleague from across the aisle..." "Tip" O'Neil, Speaker of the US House of Representatives

"Eschew Obfuscation" - bumper sticker seen at Western Maryland College

Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" responded the Chesire Cat. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't really matter."
-Lewis Carroll Alice in Wonderland

"... and I took the one less traveled ..." Robert Frost

"That was then; this is now" Miles Davis

"Don't look back. Someone might be gaining on you." Sachel Paige
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
0 likes
"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"

Ok, sorry but this has meaning to me.
My Love, My Dear, Sweetness, Baby, Honey; all names for the same one. That special person able to make you stomach still flutter, make your loins ache, make you do foolish things. But no matter the name, that person evokes the same passion.

and

"The report of my death was an exaggeration,"
"When you appeal to my head, I don't feel it; but when you appeal to my heart, I do feel it.
Lurker
0 likes
No you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude
Lurker
0 likes
"Try not.
Do or do not.
There is no try."
-Yoda-
Lurker
0 likes
are you drinking 1% because you think you're fat? Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to. Napoleon Dynamite
Lurker
0 likes
"I grabbed my book & opened it up. I wanted to smell it...I wanted to kiss it...That's right, I am a book kisser." ~ Sherman Alexie
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
“You may not be her first, her last, or her only. She loved before she may love again. But if she loves you now, what else matters? She's not perfect - you aren't either, and the two of you may never be perfect together but if she can make you laugh, cause you to think twice, and admit to being human and making mistakes, hold onto her and give her the most you can. She may not be thinking about you every second of the day, but she will give you a part of her that she knows you can break - her heart. So don't hurt her, don't change her, don't analyze and don't expect more than she can give. Smile when she makes you happy, let her know when she makes you mad, and miss her when she's not there.”
-Bob Marley
Lurker
0 likes
~The pen is mightier than the sword, and far easier to write with.
I THINK that was Churchill...or Shakespeare, or someone like that....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"My mother always taught me that if the only thing you have to say is 'Fuck David Samson' then you shouldn't say anything at all. So I'm not going to say anything at all."

- Bill Bavasi

And someone quoted Steven Wright earlier... I love his stuff:

"If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?"

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

"When I woke up this morning my girlfriend asked me, 'Did you sleep good?' I said 'No, I made a few mistakes.'"

"If dracula can't see his reflection in the mirror, how come his hair is always so neatly combed?"

"Black holes are where God divided by zero."

- Steven Wright
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
"George Washington, as a boy, was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
Mark Twain

"If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination."
Thomas De Quincey

"There's a world of difference between truth and facts. Facts can obscure the truth."
Maya Angelou

"I think there's nothing better than seeing a three-chord straight up rock 'n' roll band in your face with sweaty music and three minute good songs.
Joan Jett"
[url]http://[/url]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"You can observe a lot by watching." --Yogi Berra

"A house is a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff." --George Carlin

"I believe in monsters and things that go bump in the night. May they rot in Hell, along with their attorneys." --Jamie Ross, Law & Order

"Those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves." --Neil Peart, Witch Hunt
Success is doing what you love, and doing it so well that someone will pay you for it.
http://www.lushstories.com/fantasyfiction
Lurker
0 likes
"You must weather the storm,
To get to see the rainbow"

I made that one up, or I heard it so long ago I don't remember
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by lunna
"You must weather the storm,
To get to see the rainbow"

I made that one up, or I heard it so long ago I don't remember

That is a real good one

Oh mine is:
It takes a big dog to weigh a tonne
To boldly Lush where no one has Lushed before
Lurker
0 likes
It must be true, cause I saw it on TV... John Fogerty

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans”..John Lennon

Procrastination is the assassin of opportunity..?

W. C. Fields quote: "What scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch."
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
"You Are The World" is NOT an intellectual statement. But intellectual understanding is not going to quench the thirst. Intellectual effort is merely superficial; no depth is touched, nothing is challenged.

"You Are The World" is a psychological Insight ~ K

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. THAT'S relativity ~ Albert Einstein
Lurker
0 likes
"To love another person is to see the face of God"- Les Miserables smile
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Who ever said you can't buy love never owned a dog...

Anon
Matriarch
0 likes
Agnes Martin's notes for “On the Perfection Underlying Life”:

"We will all get there someday and do the work we are supposed to do. Of all the pitfalls in our paths and the tremendous delays and wanderings off the track, I want to say that they are not what they seem to be. I want to say that all that seems like fantastic mistakes are not mistakes and all that seems like an error is not an error; and it all has to be done - that which seems like a false step is just the next step."
Lurker
0 likes
The quote in my signature is from my favourite game ever called Tales of Symphonia: "Dwarven vow no 7: Goodness and love will always win" I just love it!
Also, one by Spike Milligan: "I told you I was ill."
And finally, I don't know who said it, but I like it nevertheless: "The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming dragon"
Lurker
0 likes
a horse a horse my kingdom for a horse!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My favourite comes from a bumper sticker science competition many years ago:

"PI seconds is one nanocentury."

BTW
Quote by Guest
a horse a horse my kingdom for a horse!
Not even in the UK do they spell "ass" like that!
News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) via charmbrights@yahoo.co.uk
The Linebacker
0 likes
"It's like deja vu all over again."
— Yogi Berra

The Linebacker
0 likes
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
— Vince Lombardi
Lurker
0 likes
~The pen is mightier than the sword, and far easier to write with.
I THINK that was Churchill...or Shakespeare, or someone like that....dontknow

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp." - Terry Pratchett

"Rum, sodomy, and the lash" - attributed (falsely?) to Winston Churchill 1911

"All fine things if done correctly" - me 2012
Lurker
0 likes
"NOTHING CAN DEFEAT THE PENIS!" - Xander Harris in Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode Beer Bad.
Lurker
0 likes
find the funny's - stephen k amos...no matter the situation, just find the funny side...it may not be apparent at first, but it may appear later smile