last reply
25 replies
2.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
A great many of us love poetry.

But, poetry gets a bad rap. Some say it's a dying art.

Those who shun it, what are your reasons?

Seriously, give this a listen, and tell me it doesn't move you:

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
One of my favourite voices, reading one of my favourite poems, by one of my favourite poets.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i like poetry. let me rephrase that. i like good poetry. i also like beneduck bandersnatch. pretty fond of marijuana, too.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

living dead girl
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i like poetry. let me rephrase that. i like good poetry. i also like beneduck bandersnatch. pretty fond of marijuana, too.

I personally love poetry at least most types
There's this place near me that does cowboy poetry and I'm not certain about that though

---------------------------------------------------------------
Rach, want to hit the bong later? Lol
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by vanessa26

I personally love poetry at least most types
There's this place near me that does cowboy poetry and I'm not certain about that though

---------------------------------------------------------------
Rach, want to hit the bong later? Lol

a lot of words rhyme with horse, ya know. lol - with you? anytime, girl smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
I love poetry, especially dark. I think there is more honesty in writing poetry because it brings out personality.
0 likes
Another poetry fan here. I've written a few and have a section of my bookshelf just for my poetry books.
Lurker
0 likes
Romantic poetry is top of my list. No bong required.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Reading is something I’ve always enjoyed; however, I have to admit that generally speaking, poetry isn’t my first choice. It’s not that I hate it or even that I’m shunning it, but in many cases, I don’t understand it.

What I mean by saying I don’t understand poetry, is that some poets, by the choice of their words take their poem away from reality and move it into a more abstract world. For example, and I know this may not be the best one, but it’s all I can think of at the moment. Let’s say your poem is talking about a tree, that’s fine, call it a tree and I’ll be okay. However, if you refer to it as a stalwart statue with many arms, you lost me. That may be a more colorful way of describing it, and I admire the poet for having a varied vocabulary, but it’s doubtful I’ll associate that object with Mother Nature’s creations that make up a forest.

For some reason, my mind operates along a more literal path and when things become to abstract, I’m lost. Poetry, music, prose, drawings and paintings are a form of communication. Give me a country or city scene and I’ll enjoy it for hours. Place an abstract painting in front of me, and while I’ll admire the artist’s talent, it doesn’t move me. It doesn’t speak to me. It’s the same thing with poems, especially those written in the free style verse.

There are a couple of things I need to see for a poem to be enjoyable. The first thing that catches my attention, is does it rhyme? I know some of you shudder at the thought, but to me, that is important. Maybe it is the additional challenge of writing lines that rhyme that appeals to me, I’m not sure. I’m always impressed when I find a poem that’s been designed that way, and it doesn’t matter what the rhyming scheme is, just that there is one.

The second feature that I find attractive is whether the lines have what I call a ‘bouncy’ effect to them. When I read the words out loud, does my voice automatically pick up that rhythm as if I were floating in water and the waves were moving me up and down. You write a poem that has these two characteristics, and there is a very good chance you have gained a new fan.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
0 likes
One of the greatest poets of my life time just left us. Mary Oliver has died at 83. Verbal posted her classic Wild Geese over in Rumplations. The little snippet below from another Oliver work will be my sig for the next while.

To live in this world you must be able to do three things:
To love what is mortal,
To hold it against your bones knowing
Your own life depends on it;
And when the time comes to let it go, to let it go.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
One of the greatest poets of my life time just left us. Mary Oliver has died at 83. Verbal posted her classic Wild Geese over in Rumplations. The little snippet below from another Oliver work will be my sig for the next while.

To live in this world you must be able to do three things:
To love what is mortal,
To hold it against your bones knowing
Your own life depends on it;
And when the time comes to let it go, to let it go.

Great quote.

Good article about why she was ignored by critics: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/27/what-mary-olivers-critics-dont-understand

As for the OPs question, I don't read a lot of poetry, but I am occasionally powerfully moved by it (like with Mary Oliver's stuff, also Billy Collins, Neruda, Levis, Larkin). I think the reason I don't read a lot of it is because I don't know how to write poetry, but I know how to write prose, so that what I gravitate toward.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Poetry, like prose, follows Sturgeon's Law. 90% is crap. The 10% though... that I revere.
Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
0 likes
I don't like poetry because everyone thinks they can write it, but very few do it well.

Don't believe everything that you read.

0 likes
Quote by Beffer
Poetry, like prose, follows Sturgeon's Law. 90% is crap. The 10% though... that I revere.

Nicely said, Beffer.
Troublemaker
0 likes
I enjoy poetry. I think what turns off a lot of people is a) as mentioned, tons of crap or b) being forced to read stuff in school they can't relate to written in an ancient style that many readers either struggle with or can't relate too. Hope schools have refreshed the curriculum to add in more modern stuff or a broader range of material.
Dirty Stop-out
0 likes
I'm a philistine.. well not really but most poetry doesn't move me.. I like stories, I like plot.. I love descriptive plot that paints me a world so real I can touch it but I still need a story.. poetry gives me a feeling, not an experience.. having said that, there are poets like John Cooper Clarke who used humour and biting satire in their poetry.. His poem 'I wanna be yours' is now on the gcse syllabus so things are changing but most poetry taught when I was at school was just so dull.. with the exception of Seamus Heaney.
Also, having an anguished Smiths fan writing me bad poetry when I was 16 also didn't help and perhaps led to me being determined never to write anyone a poem
Anyway, not sure if I answered your question Nicola.

2 competition winning stories, 1 Famous story, a smattering of Editor's Picks, a handful of Recommended Reads and one Clitorides award are scattered amongst my stories.

One of a handful of writers to get the Omnium badge for writing in every category

For a book club with a difference... try this lesbian romp

Dirty Stop-out
0 likes

2 competition winning stories, 1 Famous story, a smattering of Editor's Picks, a handful of Recommended Reads and one Clitorides award are scattered amongst my stories.

One of a handful of writers to get the Omnium badge for writing in every category

For a book club with a difference... try this lesbian romp

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like poetry but not all poets and not all poems.
My answer to the original question is in line with DeviantSusie, above. A lot of people are turned off poetry permanently when they are still at school because of the poets they are obliged to study.

For English literature, I had to study Marvell, Wordsworth, Donne, Hopkins and Eliot. It was a grind. I'd have been an A student if we'd have had John Cooper Clark, or Roger McGough on the syllabus.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Here's something TS Eliot said about it: "Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality, but an escape from personality. But, of course, only those who have personality and emotions know what it means to want to escape from these things."

It's nice to see people posting that they like poetry, but most people don't and I think it's because (at least here in the United Snakes) most people are taught to hate it in school. It's rare that most people end up with teachers who don't really like or even get poetry themselves and it ends up making a lot of people feel inadequate if they don't "get" what they're supposed to "get", like poetry is this arcane, coded message intended for an elite few. A number of other posters have said as much already.

LYFBUZ nailed another good point. The whole concept of Western education mainly focuses on going through the canon chronologically from much earlier periods, laying a practically foreign language that doesn't speak to students. If we introduced young people to poetry that had more to say to them about where they are in the world it would very likely trigger more interest in the old school stuff.

A poet I knew used to say it's only poetry, it's not about saving anyone's soul. He also used to say since no one's buying it, at least no one can ever accuse you of selling out.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I think most well read people at least appreciate good poetry and many love it. Quality school teachers that love what they do usually find a way to impart their passion to students who are eager to learn.

Sadly, many people don't care about real knowledge and broadening their horizons.
Forum Kan-Guru
0 likes
I rarely if ever find the time to read poetry, which is probably my loss. I'd just rather spend what spare time I find appreciating music and novels and painting. I guess if I gave poetry more time then I'd find stuff I liked and get to appreciate more of the subtleties... but yes, I was probably a bit turned off the area at school.

And, with many apologies to friends who write poetry... well, I didn't really go hunting out a sex stories site in order to read poems...
Primus Omnium
0 likes
If I don't like poetry I have a funny way of showing it. I have 275 poems on this site. And that is only erotic and love poems.

I do believe that with any true art one really has to understand the basics to then go on and create your own visions of what the art can do. It's well known that Picasso was emphatic about how important it was to simply learn to draw proficiently and beautifully before he could move on to his wonderfully visionary pieces of modern art.

I think the same is true with writing. Literature is an art and to be proficient at this art of letters one has to know the basics before one may criticize and reformulate how the language is used and poems, stories, and essays are created. Beauty takes not only courage but vision and knowledge. And, of course, practice, practice, practice.

Anyway. I love good poetry as I love any good art form. Art, in the truest sense, is what brings out the very best in each of us.

Just my

Cheers,
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
As one who writes poetry, I find writing it as hard as anything I’ve written, excep horror, I’m very bad at that. I’ve posted some of my poems in our poetry thread.
For me, knowing that my words can make someone smile, when they’ve had a bad day or remember a person they loved who’s passed away is awesome. Poetry is rhyming and not. For me it’s the ability to use words to paint a scene or a thought in the readers mind. To bring them happiness and help them relax.
"Illegitimis non carborundum." Vinger Joe Stllwell

What you learn in life is important; those you help learn are more.
0 likes
It is easy to say, it's all a lot of tremendously inflated, even possibly rhymed stuff, which actually means nothing.
I mean, if you don't find the pull that attracts you to poetry, you do not have to go any further.
But I am glad, I had that certain curiosity that kept me reading it for years, reading the same poems again and again - until something dawned on me smile
High Lord of Darkness
0 likes
I really like poetry, a lot. I really like the sound clip that was posted too. Very atmospheric indeed, and a lovely voice. But I have recordings of a number of poems by different authors all spoken by Richard Burton. Now his voice was out of this world.

Like most people here, I like good poetry, but what is good poetry? Well, it's what I like and can understand. Same as everyone else.

I'm not too keen on poetry that, if you read it, is just one continuous story that's just split into several lines. To me, that's not poetry. Just my opinion of course!

I used to be a pervert. In here, I'm normal!

Watch this space...She is really - cumming soon!

colin123
0 likes
I like poetry, just struggle to write it.