last reply
34 replies
4.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lollipop Girl
0 likes
What do you like most about reading?

Personally I like how when I read I feel like I am apart of the story, and I can't wait till I finish that book.
"Haters make me FAMOUS!!!"

Sassy
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love to read for me it is a passion to read and when I read I like to take the main female persons role in my mind I am her and I evolve as she does in the book.

Behind every strong soldier there is even a stronger woman who raised him " Proud Army Mom"
Matriarch
0 likes
I love the way a good book transports me into another world. It is a wonderful way to take a break, and switch off all of life's concerns temporarily.
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with all those sentiments, I love that every time I open a book I can go where I want to, do anything I want. I love how a story can break all the normal boundaries, making anything possible.
Lurker
0 likes
I have to agree I though I don't read a lot of fiction I do read a lot of true story adventure types but I love getting lost from my world and taken to another time and or place. Also love to learn.
Lurker
0 likes
I've taken so many journeys without leaving my chair thanks to books. I'm always looking for new journeys to embark on.
Lurker
0 likes
Well firstly it has improved my vocabulary.
Secondly I remember how I felt when my mother first read 'the lion,the witch and the wardrobe' to me...i was amazed at the world which was painted and it got me hooked on reading to a stage where if I don't read something every few days I get grouchy...I love the way my mind visualizes a book to such an extent that when I watch movie versions of books I like and I think they were much better in my mind
Lurker
0 likes
being able to imagine, to travel, to be challenged and engaged, to think and feel....
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Loislane
Secondly I remember how I felt when my mother first read 'the lion,the witch and the wardrobe' to me...i was amazed at the world which was painted and it got me hooked on reading to a stage where if I don't read something every few days I get grouchy...I love the way my mind visualizes a book to such an extent that when I watch movie versions of books I like and I think they were much better in my mind

Isn't the world of the written word fabulous, in that respect? So often movies diminish the work they have been taken from.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth
Quote by Loislane

Isn't the world of the written word fabulous, in that respect? So often movies diminish the work they have been taken from.

hell yes (grins)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Reading is like a vacation. I get to go somewhere new, and meet new people. The best books leave me thinking of the characters after I've finished the book. I'm wondering what they would be doing next. Like Lois, my vocab has increased also from reading. To bad it hasn't helped my grammar.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by nicola
I love the way a good book transports me into another world. It is a wonderful way to take a break, and switch off all of life's concerns temporarily.

This is how I feel as well. I have a stressful job and reading allows me to tune everything out for a couple of hours.
Lurker
0 likes
Reading is like creating a magical place in your mind that you can never visit, yet re-read the same book again and it's still there all in your mind.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by HoneyBee000
Reading is like creating a magical place in your mind that you can never visit, yet re-read the same book again and it's still there all in your mind.

and your favourite characters are like old friends you fall in love with all over again as you re-read a book...
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Getting away from the "real" world for a few moments, and living in a good book is a treasure.
Lurker
0 likes
My earliest memories are of my mother singing and reading to me. I don't have any memory of not being able to read although I know it to be true. I read to learn things and escape, now I am beginning to write for some of the same reasons. I know there are more than those two reasons, but they are the two that seem the most important at this moment.

Sometimes the line between fiction and non fiction is thin, at least for me. Black Elk, an Oglala Sioux medicine man said the following after telling the myth of the "Offering of the pipe."

This they tell, and whether it happened so or not I do not know; but if you think about it, you can see that it is true.

I read that long ago and it struck me as so profound at the moment I read it I have used it as a guide ever since. This sentiment is why we find truth in myth and parable. I suppose what I am trying to say is that what we call literature is art and from art we can learn not only about ourselves but about that which exists outside ourselves.

A skilled reader can take away meaning from bad writing if nothing more than being able to see what the writer was trying to do but was not capable of doing. I feel I am a skilled reader because I have exposed myself to a wide variety of genres without bias.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My mother gave us the love of reading as well. She always had a book and still does. When good material was scarce, she would tear sections from a book she was reading and give them to us to share. For many years, If a story was special to me, I could not bring myself to read the last few pages because I didn't want it to end. Mom would shake her head at me and smile. I'm better about that but still, there are some I can't end.
Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The relaxation of reading a good book. I get calmer and I can also escape into another world and imagine myself as the main person in the book adn live vicariously through him or her.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Lurker
0 likes
What I like most most is the sensory things around me when I read, a comfy pillow in bed, a nice chair to sit in, and swing my legs over the side and slouch or sitting somewhere either in the sun or sitting on a chair with the sun coming in through the window. Also the light of a lamp at night and the smell of the candle burning and the warmth of being somwhere cozy and thinking e-books can never replace turning a page ahhhhhhhh Lovely.
Lurker
0 likes
It's a break from the pressures and problems the real world has.
It helps my imagination work... hehe
It makes me meet new and better english words.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
The fact that the visual images I produce are influenced by my imagination, not just the author. In a movie, you only see what the director shows you.
"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it...or, learn from it." - Rafiki, The Lion King
Lurker
0 likes
I like hearing the voices of the characters in My head as I read, secure in the knowledge that those voices actually may have a good reason to be there. LOL

-MV

BBW Venus
Lurker
0 likes
Reading about sex is for those who for one reason or another cannnot put it into practise.
Lurker
0 likes
Reading lets me put myself into the story and it also allows my imagination to embellish it and make it much more real.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by sassycheergirl
What do you like most about reading?

comprehending
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Reading for me is like stepping into a different world from the one I live. I can totally immerse myself in a world different from my own and forget the one I live in for awhile.
"Happiness is doing it rotten your own way."Isaac Asimov (1994)
Lurker
0 likes
Reading is like devouring chocolate that is melting, yet with out the calories - the feeling is the same!
Lurker
0 likes
Like many others here, the joy of reading is all about immersion. Immersion in the story or in a particular character, being transported into an alternate reality and living the story.
I often get so drawn into a story that I find it hard to put the book down if its good and have been known to only do so when the alarm goes off to signal its time to get up and go to work….. Bleary eyed and sleep deprived.
Doesn’t have to have sex in it as its main theme either, although more than a few late night Lush reading sessions have been partaken !!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love how it lets me escape into a world where everyone speaks English. Where the good guys always win. Where the cops always get their man. And you fall for the bad guy when he/she is written that way. I love being able to for a little while forget about all the problems, the issues, the complications of the world and dive into another place where nothing else matters but what will happen next.

L'grande sigho... I only have one more book I've not read before I must go many many months before I get a new one. Please. Sympathise with me!! Oh! never mind!! I know some authors!!!! LOL!!!!
Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Lurker
0 likes
escapism!