Login

Sour Grapes?--or Bitter readers

last reply
51 replies
4.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
This little moan was triggered by reading another member's story, although, I have had earlier thoughts on the subject.
I came upon a story in the historical category which I thought was extremely well written and quite original. I noticed it had been issued over a year, but what struck me was in that time, with 3.000 views recorded, that when I submitted my comment that would be TWO comments out of 3000 reads. I know there are a happy band of writers who are guaranteed a solid readership whether by their skill or their many friends. But even then, the number of viewings they've had far outstrips the comments they gain.
I feel we do have to question of out of 3000, why could they not be bothered to submit even a brief 'Liked this' or 'hated this' --surely better than a blank nothing.

I have heard from two readers who no longer write because they had so few responses. Not seeling favour--just needing to know their effort was appreciated.

On checking, I find that my best number of comments has been 24 out of 4000 viewings--- So did the other 3976 readers of that story just shrug and say "So what?" Unable to scroll on and type in a response. Many writers write simply for their own gratification but many thrive and are encouraged by a show of verbal support.

There now, got that off my chest!
NOTHING GOOD IS GOING TO LAST FOREVER---EXCEPT LOVE!
Scarlet Seductress
I would think the percentage of unregistered visitors to Lush far outweighs actual registered members. They just come here to read the stories.

Also, if I read something I don't particularly like sometimes I opt not to leave a comment as opposed to leaving a critical one.

Lots of reasons.
Quote by edgiver83
This little moan was triggered by reading another member's story, although, I have had earlier thoughts on the subject.
I came upon a story in the historical category which I thought was extremely well written and quite original. I noticed it had been issued over a year, but what struck me was in that time, with 3.000 views recorded, that when I submitted my comment that would be TWO comments out of 3000 reads. I know there are a happy band of writers who are guaranteed a solid readership whether by their skill or their many friends. But even then, the number of viewings they've had far outstrips the comments they gain.
I feel we do have to question of out of 3000, why could they not be bothered to submit even a brief 'Liked this' or 'hated this' --surely better than a blank nothing.

I have heard from two readers who no longer write because they had so few responses. Not seeling favour--just needing to know their effort was appreciated.

On checking, I find that my best number of comments has been 24 out of 4000 viewings--- So did the other 3976 readers of that story just shrug and say "So what?" Unable to scroll on and type in a response. Many writers write simply for their own gratification but many thrive and are encouraged by a show of verbal support.

It's Hard to tell how well you're doing as a writer on Lush. Comments are not always a reliable guage because if it's your friends commentating, it is often a case of mutual backslapping. As a writer, I want to know why a reader thinks my story is "well written".

Don't rely on reader numbers, either. People may click on your story because the title interests them, only to abandon it five paragraphs later. Wattpad has a great tool that allows you to see within any chapter how the readership drops off page by page, all done in graph form (I don't post smut on Wattpad).

I agree with Liz. Most visitors to Lush just want a quick hit of their particular peccadillo.

But for me as an aspiring writer, it is multi-part works that hold the key to how I am doing. Do I retain my readers into the tenth, twentieth part? Yes, there is nearly always a drop off readers of a second part to a story — a case in point of my above remark about readers who are just testing the water — but after that, I want to see the reading figures more or less constant for subsequent installments. Only then do I me know I'm doing something right.

Just my half-penneth.
Active Ink Slinger
Fair point, Liz. From what you say, I guess you must have read most of mine! Lol
NOTHING GOOD IS GOING TO LAST FOREVER---EXCEPT LOVE!
Quote by Liz
I would think the percentage of unregistered visitors to Lush far outweighs actual registered members. They just come here to read the stories.

Also, if I read something I don't particularly like sometimes I opt not to leave a comment as opposed to leaving a critical one.

Lots of reasons.

Yep. My most read story, with over 52K views, only has 10 comments and 44 votes. And that's been up for several years now. The vast majority of readers on here neither vote nor comment.

(Warning: Shameless plug follows)

That story is:

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/taboo/frustration-and-relief.aspx
Writius Eroticus
Although I'm sure there are filters to remove the counters of search engine bots/scrapers and spiders from "viewed" stats I doubt any algorithm could eradicate them all, especially if the referer/user agent was spoofed or the engine didn't play nice. So that might also account for some of the views without comments.

But yes, if the counters are to be broadly believed, I agree that the vast majority of people:

a) don't vote or comment
b) aren't members
c) don't reach the end because they realise early on it's not their thing and abandon ship.

That, to me, is why every comment is precious smile

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 112 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 74 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 10 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Lurker
I really don't think it's healthy to write for other people.

You should write for yourself and not to get likes. I've been writing for a while and the stories that get the most likes also get the most dislikes.

But I truly don't give a fuck.

I've had death threats because I wrote about a woman cheating on her husband or a white woman having sex with a black man. I don't care about any of this.

Write what you want and let like minded people come to you. If you've only posted on Lush, you probably don't know what bitter readers seem like. Lush is a relatively accepting group.

Most people just want to get off so they google search the fetishes they want. Don't worry about them. And don't expect them to write a comment. There are a lot of people that just pander to others to get comments to make themselves feel better....

I wish these people would spend more time learning how to write and less time pandering to other members to get "likes."
The Linebacker
Most readers who comment on stories are active members and generally open minded. We do get the occasional up tight, closed-minded douchebag who will leave negative and rude comments on stories involving genres, fetishes, sexual orientation, etc. that the reader is opposed to. So, fuck those trolls!

Probably most story views come from non-members just reading some sex stories. We really get a lot of views here on Lush. The first erotic story site l was a member of didn't garner near as many views as Lushstories.

There are a helluva lot of great, high quality stories to read here.
Mana wahine
The ratio of views to scores/comments will always be disproportionate. Stories will always have more views than comments. Probably it's the same rate for Lush members to non-Lush members. There will always be more non-members who read the stories or are after a quick fix. It's just the way it is. It all depends on what matters to you. If you're more concerned about readership rates or the rate of voting and commenting.
Active Ink Slinger
I've found that in any media only an extreme minority of viewers/readers will provide feedback. It's just human nature, the majority of consumers are not authors themselves and simply don't realize how much of a dopamine hit creators get when we get validation and how rough it can be when that validation is absent. That's why you see youtube videos that end every single time with "please like and subscribe"... its cliche and repetitive but it actually works because otherwise it would simply not occur to many consumers that doing so is in some way helpful (even if they know it intellectually).

I imagine the problem is even greater for erotic media simply because a significant portion of the audience feels a certain level of shame about their sex lives and that makes it awkward and embarrassing to engage with the author. In a lot of cases, a comment is really saying "I really enjoyed masturbating to your story", making a comment much more personal than it might be otherwise.

I don't know that there's any real solution other than to remind yourself that for every person who liked your story enough to leave a comment or vote there were probably 100-500 people who liked it but stayed silent. So just imagine it like a birthday card signed by a bunch of friends. It's just one card but it represents a lot of well-wishes.
Active Ink Slinger
The people who garner the most comments are either well known (usually good) writers or people who have collected a lot of online friends and trade compliments. If you get a positive comment from someone you don’t know, treasure it.
An old favorite story of mine: The Chaise Lounge
Sexy Seductive Siren
I suspect a lot of writers see Lush as just another competitive venue in which they're miffed if, after what THEY (my emphasis) consider, an effort superior to some other writer's, they don't get the recognition that THEY (again, my emphasis) feel they deserve. One of the reasons in MY OPINION (once again, my emphasis) this world is in such a mess is this idea that we have to better than everyone else, i.e., unbridled ambition and competition. Here's a suggestion to all aspiring writers - write for your own enjoyment and reasons. If you're happy with the product you produced, then you're the only one that counts. If someone else doesn't like your story or chooses not to either vote on it or leave a comment, so what so long as you're happy about it.

Unbridled ambition and excessive competition is the primary reason (MY OPINION) why we'll never see equality in the world. We all pay lip service saying we want equality. What a lot of people really want is to be in your place and you in their's, not equality at all.
Meagan
Lurker
Quote by edgiver83

A long time ago I was an active author here, posted quite a lot - it led to a non-erotica writing career.

But I honestly didn't really read the comments. I got a lot, maybe the dynamics of the site feedback have changed since then (back then there was no Tube and so on) . . . but still. I enjoyed the reads and then the rest I never bothered looking at much.

This is just me personally, and that has carried over into my non-erotica writing career. I rarely look at reviews. I'm clueless what my readers really have to say.

So . . . everyone's different. What someone relies on, others couldn't care less about. To each their own.
Active Ink Slinger
I'm one of those people who want and treasure every compliment I get. That said, I do write for myself, not to please an audience, but I still enjoy finding that others liked what I wrote. Some comments are more touching than others, but all are welcome. I've often said I welcome negative reviews, but the few I got I didn't agree with. They were not informative or helpful. One thing that bothers me is I never understand why some stories garner a lot of readers and others comparatively few. The title? The blurb? A couple of my stories I felt were among my best I posted in catagoties where they did far worse than most of the others. Either viewers never go there or don't look for my stories but only read what appears in the category they like.
Internet Philosopher
Quote by spinneroftales
I'm one of those people who want and treasure every compliment I get. That said, I do write for myself, not to please an audience, but I still enjoy finding that others liked what I wrote. Some comments are more touching than others, but all are welcome. I've often said I welcome negative reviews, but the few I got I didn't agree with. They were not informative or helpful. One thing that bothers me is I never understand why some stories garner a lot of readers and others comparatively few. The title? The blurb? A couple of my stories I felt were among my best I posted in catagoties where they did far worse than most of the others. Either viewers never go there or don't look for my stories but only read what appears in the category they like.

Never underestimate the impact small things can have on a casual reader. The name of the story is critical as you only have about 3 seconds to capture their interest. Even the cover art can encourage a reader to continue or to send him on the the next bit of literary filth. People looking for sexual release aren’t in the mind to deliberate long on what story they choose.

You might consider getting an avatar that stands out. The red and white says to some that the writer is new, whether or not that is actually the case. I have noticed that the ones I choose do have a noticeable impact.

Gaining a readership takes some form of selling yourself and while scores aren’t a reliable method of judging quality, they do keep a story visible on the all time lists and can make a story seem more likely to be good to a surfer who had never heard of your work.

Other than that, views are lighting in a bottle. Sometimes a story fails even
When we think it should succeed, and other times a story we thought might not do much becomes worldly successful
Rookie Scribe
I admittedly get why the view/comment ration it this way, most people don't want to bother with commenting. I fear we are living in an age where the reader reads what he or she wants and then moves on, disregarding the consequences of this choice.

Looking at writing as a circle (just like the circle of life) we write to tell stories. You can tell them to yourself, but it is far better to tell them to others, to pass them on. Once, you told a story and you would get a reaction, people cheered or smiled or even walked away, but you got the reaction. Nowadays, you post a story and get thousands of views, but each and every one of them is a blank mask that doesn't react, they read and move on. Suddenly, you (the writer) have no idea if your story is good or bad, could be the best story in the world, could be the worst... You no longer know, and I believe that is a perfectly good reason to stop writing, breaking the circle.

Those few who still uphold this ancient deal of reaction (commenting) to the hard work we do for ourselves and them, are nothing short of angels in a sea of blank faces. Then again, what can we do? Only show our deepest appreciation to those angels as they still hold their end of the bargain that is writing.
If My Work Earned Your Attention Please Consider Commenting Or Emailing Me.
Advanced Wordsmith
I find myself commenting on about two a day, mostly writers I have read before. I probably read 4 per day. I also skip a lot of stories because the topic doesn't interest me. I do writing but publish on Lit to keep the stories togeher (33 of them)
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Herbert Spencer
Active Ink Slinger
I write for myself and hope that others enjoy my stories. It certainly is nice to have votes and particularly comments on my writing so that I know others have enjoyed or related to it. However, if someone chooses not to vote or comment then I don't get upset about it. My satisfaction comes from writing and posting my stories hoping someone else gets pleasure from reading them. As I now have 5 famous stories and several comments on many of my other stories I feel that my writing is appreciated by lots of readers and I thank all that have taken the time to enjoy them.

Click Pegasus4's Profile (lushstories.com) to see my profile.

Click Pegasus4's Stories (lushstories.com) to see a list of my stories.

I haven't published a story in my current guise, but used to take pleasure from the number of reads that I was getting. A score or a comment was an added bonus and tended to come from friends (which is what makes for good friends methinks), but as well as anything else that Lush offers it continues to offer anonymity and most readers are comfortable hiding behind their anonymity. Therefore, treat it like school: ticks for reads, silver star for a score, gold star for a comment
And an RR? Well that's teacher's pet isn't it! biggrin
Active Ink Slinger
A 'read' doesn't mean you got read. It's just a hit.
I figure one vote per hundred hits and one comment per thousand as a rule of thumb.

I console myself with self-delusion.
I cleave to the thought that readers get off so quickly when reading my stories that they never get all the way to the bottom where the voting buttons are.
Lurker
I write for my own gratification. I am not into cliques or patronizing. I personally think that I am an "OK" writer, but I don't get off on patronizing the field. The mods have made me a better writer and in the process, I fell in love with poems.
Advanced Wordsmith
Quote by dlcalguy
A 'read' doesn't mean you got read. It's just a hit.
I figure one vote per hundred hits and one comment per thousand as a rule of thumb.

I console myself with self-delusion.
I cleave to the thought that readers get off so quickly when reading my stories that they never get all the way to the bottom where the voting buttons are.

I agree with this
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Herbert Spencer
"the Great God (snicker)" - James 'Bear' Llewellyn
I think about the number of authors I have actually written to about their books. 3 all told.
Add to that the views are a bit wonky anyway, especially during the initial editing/submission. Others have said about bots and spiders and I know some of my readers will read. Come back and score and come back sometimes and comment.

Personally I'm thankful to every hit (even them likkle bots), every vote is great and each and every comment a treasure.

I think my 1 gripe is when people rate a story 1-3 and don't let me know what it was that dropped the score for them. I really am interested in people's thoughts and what if anything I could or would do to improve.

At the end of the day, I write to explore the ideas running around in my head.

I won't ruin dlcalguy's delusions by reminding him there is a voting button at the top too

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Once more in Love Poems - My Forever Beauty

My 2 previous submissions:

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

Please read and enjoy. If you really enjoyed a story someone has written; how about clicking on 'Like' and/or 'Favorite'.
Why not leave a comment too?

Orgasm Aficionado
I actually joined Lush all those years ago precisely because the hit ratio of comments for a story is much, much higher than 'the real world', where you send what you consider to be good stuff off into the ether and a lot of the time you never hear anything.

Just as in the rest of life, the people who get a lot of comments on Lush put in a lot of work - building up a portfolio of stories and cultivating a network of followers.

Success is mostly effort, skill... and a little bit of luck. Put in the effort, work on your skills and hope for a bit of luck. It's a big pond and we're all little fishes.
Lurker
Quote by edgiver83

Legit question. I am also a member of another Lit site, and occasionally they have the same question. Some of it is laziness on the reader, some is they disliked the story or skill and did not wish to hurt feelings, some of the readers are not registered and are just passing through, and some id because the writers never acknowledge the comments.

I think it is just a combination of reasons that can not have just one solution. I know if I comment on a couple of stories and the author doesn't take the time to just type thanks, I stop commenting, as it takes me as much time to give them a comment as it does for them to give me one. At that point I just rate it.
Seems writers have always been a needy bunch. I love this episode of Quacks where two of the main characters visit Mathew Baynton as Charles Dickens and find him just as anxious for feedback as any wannabewriter on Lush.

The subtle tension at the dinner table is bottom-clenching intense.

Bonnet Flaunter
Quote by LucaByDesign
Seems writers have always been a needy bunch. I love this episode of Quacks where two of the main characters visiter Mathew Baynton as Charles Dickens and find him just as anxious for feedback as any wannabewriter on Lush.

The subtle tension at the dinner table is bottom clenching intense.

I adored Quacks, Luca! So many great gags about writing and writers! Hilariously funny!
Quote by curvygalore

I adored Quacks, Luca! So many great gags about writing and writers! Hilariously funny!

Hehe, Curvy. I had a feeling it would be something you would be watching.

Just re-watching the series. Sometimes it takes a couple of viewings to get into a new (for me) comedy series.