Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Readers: Do sex scenes have to be explicit?

last reply
79 replies
12.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
As an avid reader sex stories should be explicit as opposed to romantic which can be gleaned from any charity shop.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lushstories is primarily an erotic story site. I think it means stories devoted to or tending to arouse sexual love or desire, right? smile So what most of us want to read about is sex. Many of us would like a great story plot but all that is peripheral things and our main focus is sex contents. This is the reason that even some stories which lack skill or proficiency gets approval as for moderators main requirement is interesting sex content. So here, more explicit sex scenes would draw more readers.
I like the way you make me feel even when I'm nowhere near...
Lurker
0 likes
No, but it seems to be a preference here.
0 likes
The more I read and write, the more bored I'm getting with sex scenes. Speaking for myself, I feel that the eroticism of erotica is in the seduction or building of sexual tension. The sex itself is just the logical conclusion of that tension, and not particularly remarkable in and of itself.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know
The more I read and write, the more bored I'm getting with sex scenes. Speaking for myself, I feel that the eroticism of erotica is in the seduction or building of sexual tension. The sex itself is just the logical conclusion of that tension, and not particularly remarkable in and of itself.

Pretty much this.

I write sex scenes because, well, at the end of the day Lush is a erotica site and most of the casual readership expects wank fodder. The problem is that 'explicitness' is subjective: the same sex scene may be one reader's 'Emmanuel' softcore, and another reader's kink.com hardcore. But personally, I don't like to write sex scenes for the sake of having sex scenes. Instead, I prefer to write sex scenes that arise from scenarios set up in the story, so that they seem natural and organic - pay-offs to a set up, rather than the be-all and end-all.
Well, it's competition time again - so if you want to read an erotic poem about love, lust and heartbreak, check out
I wanted more

Other stories I'd heartily recommend (and wish I'd written myself) include:
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/anal/losing-it.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/bdsm/for-my-hands-only.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/masturbation/made-in-london.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/highlight-reel.aspx
0 likes
Of course. The entire story doesn't need to be explicit though. I would feel robbed if I got a Danielle Steele-esque sex scene.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Hot, nasty, dripping, dirty talkin', hair pullin', back scratchin', titty suckin' & thumpin', screaming, and moaning. At least one fairly long sex scene but the story needs a good plot and interesting, even intriguing writing.
0 likes
In erotica, yes. I feel like that's kinda one of the hallmarks of the genre.
0 likes
Erotica shouldn't shy away from being explicit. However, stuffing scenes with sexual minutia in dull mechanical detail is not really very erotic. In many cases, less is more. You can rely on your readers to work out a lot of the details for themselves in their imagination without having to explicitly spell it all out for them.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
if it is descritive enough it doesnt need to be explicit/vulgar
Marx Sister
0 likes
This is an excellent question. I'm not sure it would be a turn off to that many people, but cliffhangers can leave a certain frustration, particularly if there is not a lot of detail. If the description is well crafted a story can be augmented by other things like romance, descriptions of pleasure but not explicit detail of the actions behind it (maybe an allusion or a comment pointing the reader in a certain or a couple certain directions).

Basically what I'm saying is that while smut can be very popular with a certain crowd, the other can work very well. I think it's a different audience, though. It has been my observation that this demographic is less likely to vote than the other, more likely to vote based on what they think instead of just handing out fives, and more likely to comment on stories. Of course I'm not suggesting that these points are true across the board, to say nothing of the fact that many people like both. Depending on your goals with Lush, it may matter a great deal, but if you're worried about the way people feel about your writing, I wouldn't worry about the occasional four or even three. I still get that little pang of frustration and wonder about what's wrong with my story when I see that average score decline, though.
My Featured Stories
The Snowglobe Conspiracy – Solving a great mystery | There Is No Butterfly – Time Travel competition entry | Incurable Arousal – Most viewed | Toxic, But Not Sinister – Mutual loathing at its finest | You Were – An experience in the second person | Desiderium – A scattering of lovers
Lurker
0 likes
I think on a sex stories / erotica site, there should be a reasonably high amount of explicit action.

Then again, I've been having an exchange w a lush friend about how "sex stories" can be taken to mean different things. Stories about sex (i.e., sex stories) are not, for example, necessarily sexy, depending on how you're coming at the issues.

I think it cool that there is a wide range of writing and readership here. Some people want and look for the "strokers." Some people write them. Some people want something softer. And some people write that. Others write brilliant stories that have sex in them, and the sex is sexy, but it might not, say, make anyone want to undo their pants immediately, but those stories and ideas in them may bounce around in your head for future reference. And depending on your mood, you might want different stories for different purposes, both as a reader and as a writer.

One of the stories I'm proudest of is one in which the sex is barely r-rated, and comes at the very end. Then again, my two other best stories include some of the raunchiest filth I've ever written.

But long story short, I like to read and write a decent amount of explicit action, or "red meat" as the aforementioned friend refers to it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When I write stories I try to describe the scene as a whole. What led up to what is happening as well as what is actually going on. I try not to be rude or crude in my descriptions but do tend to make sure it is detailed enough to be erotic.

Click Pegasus4's Profile (lushstories.com) to see my profile.

Click Pegasus4's Stories (lushstories.com) to see a list of my stories.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As a reader I don't mind a lead-in, but once you get to the point I prefer explicit descriptions.
I try to write the same way.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Honestly for me it depends on my mood lol. For the most part I cum to the fantasy of the situation. I am a bundle of kinks so many things can do it for me. I like explicit if it's done well but mostly, you'll get me in the mood by taking me to a world of magic and fantasy. I want something unique and different. I live in reality but when I come here, make me a slave to your fantasy. If you succeed in that, then give me the explicit details ;) ;) ;) heart.
Sexy Seductive Siren
0 likes
I would say yes. At least here in Lush. If readers wanted to use their imagination to think what happened next, they would stick with romance novels or whatever. The come here to read about sex and I would suspect that many readers want to read about sex or sexual scenarios that they've never experienced.
Meagan
Sexy Seductive Siren
0 likes
I would say yes. At least here in Lush. If readers wanted to use their imagination to think what happened next, they would stick with romance novels or whatever. The come here to read about sex and I would suspect that many readers want to read about sex or sexual scenarios that they've never experienced.
Meagan