Multi-part stories?? Good or Bad??

last reply
52 replies
6.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've published a few multi-part stories with varying results. The first in the series has good voting turnout and great comments, but then the votes and comments taper off dramatically with each subsequent chapter.

I've tried to read other multi-part stories but always seem to lose interest after the second or third installment. There are several authors that have ten or more parts to their stories.... have they experienced the same results???

How do YOU read and react to stories that have multiple parts??
Flash a Trucker... It's appreciated!!

Read my latest story at; http://www.lushstories.com/stories/exhibitionism/a-weekend-at-the-cottage-part-1.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't enjoy reading them unless every chapter can be considered a self-contained story in it's own right. I tried writing one only a few weeks ago. Seeing as it got mixed reviews, it put me right off creating the second chapter, so I ended up deleting part I. Problem solved, but not very encouraging for me to write another one. Typically, I think a multi-part story should be no more than 3 parts, perhaps 5 at most, but 10 IMHO is OTT!
0 likes
I know exactly what you mean. I wrote a few series when they still allowed i____t, and fewer, and fewer people read the later chapters. I tried three chapter stories, and still had the same results. Who knows why really.
Chuckanator
0 likes
It depends on a lot of things. The type of story that is written in novel form and posted as chapters like SweetestSins Loving Lana or DancingDolls West Coast Games, it's perfect. However, some times a story is written as a short story but added to later, either by popular demand or the author came up more ideas. In many cases, the 'afterthought' additions lack some continuity.
Chuckanator
0 likes
It depends on a lot of things. The type of story that is written in novel form and posted as chapters like SweetestSins Loving Lana or DancingDolls West Coast Games, it's perfect. However, some times a story is written as a short story but added to later, either by popular demand or the author came up more ideas. In many cases, the 'afterthought' additions lack some continuity.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have only written one multi part story. I agree as you add the stories the interest and comments drop away. I am working on a variation of one at the moment, it will involve the same characters but not be a multi. I am using a different approach and will be interested to see how it turns out and accepted.
I think I have the plot sorted, now I just need the time to get the words and dialogue in place.
Lurker
0 likes
I have just finished my first ever multi-part story, and yes the reads and comments dropped significantly after the first one, but it was an important step for me as a writer to move beyond the relatively short, self-contained story. This one turned out about 20,000 words in total and I posted it in four parts. I am actually quite proud of the plot and have in mind to work it up into a novel (without all the sexy bits!), so it doesn't really matter that it wasn't popular on here. I figure most people on Lush are after something that isn't too involved in terms of plot, but a well written sexy story does wonders. Who'd have thought?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A story has to be well written with a good story line and thread to pull multiple chapters successfully. Some are great, but most that I've tried to read got boring all too soon.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've written several multi-part stories and I find that the number of views drops off, but it didn't keep me from continuing the story. A good friend and mentor told me to write about what makes me happy. If I were to get all caught up in scores then I wouldn't be writing for the right reasons.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MollysDream
I have just finished my first ever multi-part story, and yes the reads and comments dropped significantly after the first one, but it was an important step for me as a writer to move beyond the relatively short, self-contained story. This one turned out about 20,000 words in total and I posted it in four parts. I am actually quite proud of the plot and have in mind to work it up into a novel (without all the sexy bits!), so it doesn't really matter that it wasn't popular on here. I figure most people on Lush are after something that isn't too involved in terms of plot, but a well written sexy story does wonders. Who'd have thought?

Having co-authored a few stories, and some with more than one chapter, I've wondered how the best way would be to publish them. I can see the readership dropping off, if a story is broken into several chapters and then submitted over a fairly long period of time. People would forget about the earlier chapters. I've wondered whether the same results happen if a story of multiple chapters were to all be published at once. That way a reader could immediately continue from one chapter to the next. It would be similar to a very long story. I've read stories that were handled that way, and if I liked the story, I didn't mind going on to the next chapter, especially if a link was provided to make it easy for me to continue. I can see someone getting so interested in the story, that they would forget to take the time to comment and vote at the end of each chapter. Anyone have any comments or thoughts about this?

I've also wondered about the fact that if an author has a story published, should they publish another but different story fairly soon? Or would it be better to let the first story run its course so to speak? That way the two stories aren't competing with each other for readership.

MollysDream, you mentioned in your post that you felt that most people were more interested in a sexy story then one that had a well developed plot to it. In most cases here on this site, you are probably correct in thinking this, however, I guess I am different then most people. I LOVE a well thought out story with a clear, detailed plot which also includes good dialogue and intrigue. This includes good character development too. If I can get lost in the story and forget that it will be an erotic story at some point, then to me that is a fantastic story. The erotic part when it comes, is great, but may not be what I remember days later.

If you are proud of your 20,000 word story, then by all means try turning it into a novel, if this is something you would like to attempt. I wish you all the best of success in doing so, and I hope that the resulting novel is a roaring success.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by HopefullAuthor

Having co-authored a few stories, and some with more than one chapter, I've wondered how the best way would be to publish them. I can see the readership dropping off, if a story is broken into several chapters and then submitted over a fairly long period of time. People would forget about the earlier chapters. I've wondered whether the same results happen if a story of multiple chapters were to all be published at once. That way a reader could immediately continue from one chapter to the next. It would be similar to a very long story. I've read stories that were handled that way, and if I liked the story, I didn't mind going on to the next chapter, especially if a link was provided to make it easy for me to continue. I can see someone getting so interested in the story, that they would forget to take the time to comment and vote at the end of each chapter. Anyone have any comments or thoughts about this?

I've also wondered about the fact that if an author has a story published, should they publish another but different story fairly soon? Or would it be better to let the first story run its course so to speak? That way the two stories aren't competing with each other for readership.

MollysDream, you mentioned in your post that you felt that most people were more interested in a sexy story then one that had a well developed plot to it. In most cases here on this site, you are probably correct in thinking this, however, I guess I am different then most people. I LOVE a well thought out story with a clear, detailed plot which also includes good dialogue and intrigue. This includes good character development too. If I can get lost in the story and forget that it will be an erotic story at some point, then to me that is a fantastic story. The erotic part when it comes, is great, but may not be what I remember days later.

If you are proud of your 20,000 word story, then by all means try turning it into a novel, if this is something you would like to attempt. I wish you all the best of success in doing so, and I hope that the resulting novel is a roaring success.

I've often thought about writing several chapters and then posting them on successive days (because of the 24-hour posting rule), but when I finish one I'm too excited to wait, so I post each one when it is finished.

I, too, like stories with dialogue and character development. Doing it right usually means that it will be a rather lengthy read, but this comes with the territory. If a long story is done well, it should be able to hold the reader's interest.
English Rose
0 likes
I've done two sets of multi part stories and would also agree that the number of views, votes and comments do tend to drop off. That was certainly the case for Danni - Parts 1 and 2.

I tried doing something a bit different the second time I did it. With Allison and A Bath to Remember, they are actually parts one and two of the same story. The difference is that A Bath to Remember works just as well as a stand alone story, which was something I deliberately did.

Reaction to Part 2 (A Bath to Remember) in terms of views, votes and comments was actually better than for Part 1 (Allison). Of course that may have something to do with the fact that Allison is a love story, whereas A Bath to Remember is much steamier!
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Story Verifier
0 likes
I love reading multi part stories, and I've always preferred novels to novellas or collected shorts. I'm aware that I'm not part of a majority here on Lush, and my writerly ego sometimes demands that I publish a short story between consecutive chapters to bring home the raving reviews and high votes.

Nevertheless, I've got a few longer running stories in the works, and the personal feedback from those willing to stick with an ongoing series and bear with the pauses between chapters so makes up for the lower vote count. The inquiries about when chapter 13 of my Bunnie story would be out I got while I was unable to access the computer were heart warming.

To me, writing for Lush isn't always just about satisfying the quick thrill (though I happily cater to that too and love it). It's also a place to toy with ideas and concepts and to improve my writing. The challenge to build a story arch and develop characters over more than just a few short chapters is incredibly bigger than writing shorts, and when a later chapters earns a RR or gets brilliant reviews, it's all the more of an accomplishment.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I too have fallen victim to waning interest in subsequent chapters, based purely on the number of views. That, or the bots haven't got around to Part 2 yet. Posting each of the two parts in different categories probably didn't help that, but to be fair, I was expecting it.

As a reader though, I really enjoy a good multi-part story. If it's engaged me with strong character and plot development, I'll often become invested in the characters, and I have to know what happens next. SITTING is brilliant at it, and I often find myself waiting on the edge of my seat for her to bang out the next chapter. Sprite, Katje, Lisa and Stormdog100 are all authors who have managed to keep me wanting more with the series they've written.

I like it when the chapter is enough to stand on its own, but I think the secret is that it needs to flow seamlessly from the one before it, and into the one following. There needs to be that hook at the end of each part to make you crave the next instalment.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Because I do a lot of character development and detailed sex scenes, my stories tend to run 10,00 to 12,000 words, so I have broken them into segments/chapters. Most of them have hit 4,000+ page reads in a reasonable amount of time, which I find acceptable ... it's the comments I'm looking for in hopes of improving the next story. My first mult-part stories dropped in page reads as they went on, but I believe that is because most Lush readers aren't checking here every day and will miss the next "segment."

An interesting happened to me/us recently ... I co-wrote a story with GreenEyedKitty75 in three parts (soon to be four). Parts 1 and 3 were 4,000+ page reads. But Part 2 was in a different category (Anal) and currently has 24,000+ page reads. I don't think Part 2 is necessarily any better than 1 or 3, but perhaps it was the category that attracted more readers. But I will say that I believe that each segment/chapter must be a 'stand alone' story.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I love reading stories here on Lush. Single and multi stories BUT there my be a plot to the story. I must not just be sex with this person the sex with that person. The whole story must have a single plot though all the chapters. There must be character building and of course the must be sex but not the same sex the whole time.

I have been reading stories here for quite a few years before I became a member a couple of years ago. The first couple of lines of the story must draw me to read further. Not just I met this guy and now we are having sex. The first couple of lines must be laying out the story. If I don't find that I don't read further single or multi.

If I see a bit of plot building up I will read further. If the second chapter is just the same as the first (first chapter was about sex with a guy and the second chapter was just about sex with somebody else I read no further.

As i said I have been pert of Lust for quite a few years and only now I am writing my first story. Before I started I made sure that I had a plot for the story and yes it is a multi part story. I have laid out the whole story with character development and the development of the plot before I started with sex in each chapter but trying to have different type of sex.

My first chapter is complete. My second is just about ready for submission and I am busy on the 3rd chapter with each chapter ending on something to encourage the reader to read the next chapter to find out what happens next.

Now it is in the fantasy and sci fi category which is not very popular here on Lush but I hope that the readers will enjoy the story.

I hope to have the story finished in a couple of weeks so put it in your reader list and read it then.

Jackrabit
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The tail off probably has less to do with any writing ability than with the transient nature of most traffic on Lush.

You can see this for yourself on the homepage which tells you how many people are accessing the site - but if there are 10,000 visitors only around 300 are going to be signed in members. There's no real way of knowing how regular the 97% of non-member traffic is; if the stay for long or if they're just here for a quick thrill.

Members and non-members seem to have different reading habits. Things that attract non-members attract big page views but obviously you don't get the comments. Things like poems see very little non-member interest - that's why the views are low but they still get a lot of comments.

Seeing - "chapter 4" after a title may say to casual readers "you're going to have to work a little to enjoy this" and there are plenty of other stories they could read instead. If writing a multi chapter story is where you want to take your writing then just go for it and damn the numbers.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I have written a few series, and I am currently trying to submit the first of a very old series I posted several years ago, under another name. The series I have written got great votes, all the way through. I think it was because I was invested in the story personally. I was turned on by the scenarios, and it showed in the story and writing.
When I lost direction, or when I had gone as far as I wanted to in the series, or was plausible, I stopped.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I don't think it matters. Good writing will be read, whether its a single story or a multi-part. But if you can't write, no one will read past your first chapter anyway. I have a 3-part story posted which people have asked me to continue, and if I continue to get requests, I'll carry it forward.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I don't think it matters. Good writing will be read, whether its a single story or a multi-part. But if you can't write, no one will read past your first chapter anyway. I have a 3-part story posted which people have asked me to continue, and if I continue to get requests, I'll carry it forward.

Then please do Bethany. Personally, I agree with you, though I do like development
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
It's hardly an exclusive thing to Lush, though the readers here are tilted toward the short story/flash length more than most. No matter where you're posting, the views, votes, and comments are going to trail off on later chapters.

Someone mentioned the transient nature of the readers, and that's true everywhere. For the most part, erotica readers aren't looking for an especially deep story. They're looking for something to get off to.

Which also contributes to the low vote to view ratio all stories get. Someone twitching from aftershocks isn't especially concerned about clicking a vote button. They're even less inclined to try to type a comment with sticky fingers.

Even if someone did get into the story, they may not be able to return to the site on a regular basis. They may be using incognito mode to hide their tracks. That makes it difficult to come back to a story on subsequent visits.

"Write a good story and they'll keep coming back" is true, but there are more factors at play with erotica. You probably lose as many readers to circumstances as you do from people who didn't like the story or lost interest.

If it's the story you want to write, write it! You just have to go into it expecting a reduced participation rate, and one that's likely to continually diminish throughout the run.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It depends on the writer. If you want to write more parts to your story. Go head it is up to you to keep the readers reading and wanting more. Tell your story and have fun with it
Have lots of fun
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier

And I am one of those fans. Chapter 1 was over the top good. Can't wait for BF to get involved. This Photo Shoot series has the potential to be one of the very best.

I've written a couple longer series's that didn't gain as much interest as I would like. Ashleigh's West Coast Games was a classic.
Lurker
0 likes
It's both actually. It's bad because you have to wait for the next chapter to be approved. But it's also good because you never know what's gonna happen in the story and it can take so many different turns.
Lurker
0 likes
I prefer slower, multipart stories with detailed character development and an extended plot line. We're all different though!
Head Penguin
0 likes
There's no reason why multi part stories shouldn't be as good as a single story. It's down to the quality of the writing.

Danielle xx

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've seen the opposite with the multi part story I am writing. The third and fourth parts have more views than either of the first two parts. I think that this is due to the fact that I have kept each part as a self contained story even though it is part of the much larger whole. Also parts three and four are almost nothing but sex beginning to end. Where the first two parts were mostly introduction and setting with very little sex. I still don't know how somebody could start reading in the middle of the story, that would drive me insane wondering what happened before, but it seems to be working. Also I have tried not to go more than a week between adding chapters.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Multi-part stories can be highly successful and popular. Many authors here on Lush have had tremendous success with them.

Put your heart into the stories, write them to the best of your ability, and most of all, love writing them.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I love Multi-part stories. When I find a good one, I'm very dedicated to them--and to the writer too. I think that's the key though; it has to be a sustainable story. Each chapter has to be independently good but create a need/want for more. And, the writer can't be lazy and coast on cliche's and just sex (which is a problem with erotica). The characters have to have an appeal and the story line can't drag or move too swiftly. It takes a lot of planning to write them, forthought. I find that with a lot of the ones here, that's lacking. They keep doing the quick stroke stuff and it just gets boring. Not every story is fit for continuation because it's not complex enough. You can tell when someone is fumbling through the story line and that loses my interest too. Timing is important. Taking too long in between submissions can kill the momentum. You find yourself with new readers and people don't like to start in the middle. That's my downfall. You know you are doing well when each segment picks up more views and your first chapter still manages to draw. I don't think you should be afraid to rewrite ones that don't do well, chapters that is. Bring them up to par.
? A True Story ?
0 likes
I've written one long multi-part story "How It All Began" ran to 17 chapters and about 85,000 words. It did have a plot with the usual devices of a protagonist, antagonist, a twist and a happy ending (I had to, I loved the characters). They are all largely based on actual people I've met through life, some of the chapters are semi auto-biographical more to try and keep them realistic and grounded.

What is unusual in Lush is that it difficult to point the story forwards, if a reader finds Ch1, there is not a great deal that can help to point the reader to Ch.2.

In terms of response, I think it is a familiar pattern, the first part got a very good response, the other chapters kind of ebbed and flowed. The plot line was deliberately designed to be modular so that each chapter did stand alone to a degree. The final chapter did really well and still scores a year later.

I have written single standalone stories only then to be asked to either add another part to conclude it or develop the story some more. Both 'Latin Inferno' and 'The Road Trip' had concluding chapters added by popular response. Both of the first parts got a very positive response and the concluding parts less so but were still well received. I have written competition entries, my second attempt got a great response which I'm really pleased about.

I try to give readers what they want really, there are readers here that want the longer stories and those that want a quick 'fix' of erotica. No matter what I write, it's about 3,000 to 4,000 words at a time which I think is a happy medium. I like 'rich' characterisation and tone the sex scenes to be moderate to graphic. I couldn't write something that was 90% story with only a 10% sop to the erotic. I have written chapters which are almost 100% erotica but even then, their motives and thoughts are woven in.

Both my current stories will run to several chapters but I haven't decided yet how far.

So in summary, it's not something I worry about, I think it's just a 'Lush' thing really......