Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How much does this kind of thing, put you off?

last reply
21 replies
3.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Constant Gardener
0 likes
You're reading an engrossing story, devouring the words your favorite author has painted upon the pages for you to enjoy. When your eyes see it, your brain stutters a smidge and you have to stop, in place and reread the sentence to make sure your own internal wiring didn't just short-circuit.

This kind of thing throws me off. Quite a bit actually. To find such a glaring mistake inside the pages of a best seller, is remarkable to me. I'll keep reading the story though, but I lose a bit of trust in the editors ability to proofread correctly.

If I see many of these types of mistakes inside a story on a website such as Lush, I'll dump the story I find them in and won't even bother to finish it. Nor will I desire to read anything else from the author, even though it's the editors fault.

Here, we are mostly our own editor though.

I do love this particular Stephen King short story. The movie was, of course, jacked up six different ways to Sunday.

Do these types of mistakes irk you, too?
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Yep. For me, this is especially true if the story has a historical setting. Simple rule-of-thumb: Anything that throws a reader out of the story is to be avoided. That includes: factual errors, clichés, word/phrase overuse,and repeated grammar/punctuation goofs.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Actually I find them amusing. In my High school paper we had A column called Dear Gabby students would write in silly questions & Gabby would reply with humorous answers. One week A student sent in the the following letter.CiY4JaKLyBYvsbgg

I wan ta tank yoo fer korectin ma spellin on ma lass leddor. ah mite a bin imbareassed ifin ya dint. Signed: Demniss- Gabby posted the letter as is with the reply.Yer welcomb Demniss.bNnKtzE8Dj0PoRkY
Awesome Lady
0 likes
Actually, it varies a lot as to how disturbing. Mostly, I am not that bothered either in books or here on Lush. To me, a good story is a good story and I can overlook most things.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
You're reading an engrossing story, devouring the words your favorite author has painted upon the pages for you to enjoy. When your eyes see it, your brain stutters a smidge and you have to stop, in place and reread the sentence to make sure your own internal wiring didn't just short-circuit.

This kind of thing throws me off. Quite a bit actually. To find such a glaring mistake inside the pages of a best seller, is remarkable to me. I'll keep reading the story though, but I lose a bit of trust in the editors ability to proofread correctly.

If I see many of these types of mistakes inside a story on a website such as Lush, I'll dump the story I find them in and won't even bother to finish it. Nor will I desire to read anything else from the author, even though it's the editors fault.

I do love this particular Stephen King short story. The movie was, of course, jacked up six different ways to Sunday.

Ha ha! I had this problem here recently, in the first two lines I read eyes of steal! Now if that was near the end I'd let it ride but the fact it was so near to the start of the story it made me look for more misspellings instead of enjoying it. I gave up half way through because I'd lost interest in the story.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I don't know that they bother me terribly, but I do notice them. I find them occasionally in various works, but they do seem to reside to an inordinately large degree in Stephen King's stories. I don't know that you can really blame King. Even experienced writers make mistakes. It's really the job of a publishing house's proofreaders and editors to catch and correct them. I just wonder if King's writing is so popular and profitable that his publisher doesn't really look at all, or with any great care, at his manuscripts in their haste to get them on the market.

There was one in The Dead Zone. In the second section of the book, the main character Johnny Smith goes to work as a tutor for this 17-year-old kid of a very wealthy guy. When Johnny interviews for the job with the kid's father the father starts off as Roger (on pg. 264). On pg. 267 he's still Roger, but by the end of the paragraph becomes Stuart. He remains Stuart for the next dialogue tag, and then reverts to Roger. He pretty much stays Roger after that. I sort of recall the switch happening another time or two before he leaves the story. While I found the instances cited here, the others I wasn't able to pick up with a few minutes of skimming.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
having OCD tendencies, yes. simple spelling/grammatical errors bug me.

which is probably a lil' hypocritical since i'm too lazy to capitalize the first words in a sentence or i/i'm. but yeah. more people need grammar slam in their life. :P

Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by pricklypear
having OCD tendencies, yes. simple spelling/grammatical errors bug me.

which is probably a lil' hypocritical since i'm too lazy to capitalize the first words in a sentence or i/i'm. but yeah. more people need grammar slam in their life. :P

He reminds me of some of my teachers!!
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale

'Ability' and 'fault' are qualities belonging to the editor. As such, Editors needs a possessive apostrophe: either editor's for a single editor or editors' (or editors's) for multiple editors.

While I'm being picky, proofreaders correct spelling, grammar and layout while editors check content, impose consistent (house or author) styles and reword or rewrite text. Editors proofread but proofreaders don't edit.

When I'm reading, I notice mistakes but I know how difficult it is to make something perfect, so I don't let it bother me. One of Rachel Cain's revivalist series had five errors in the space of two pages - that did 'kick me out of the story'. I guess someone was having a bad day but it makes me feel better when I find mistakes in my own stories!!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I can generally read through most anything. I have a second job were we read high school kids essays for content and style. Not to say that I cannot spot the errors or that they do not bother me, but I do not let it drag me out of the story. Try reading chicken scratch handwriting with spelling errors, grammer issues, and comprehension problems.. everything else will look like a dream compared to it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Errors used to really grate on me when reading something, but I have mostly gotten used to it, I guess. Many of the stories here on Lush have lots of little errors, but I just read right past them; they no longer interrupt my enjoyment of the story. I do find it a little more disturbing in a newspaper or published book.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
Quote by elizabethblack
Actually, it varies a lot as to how disturbing. Mostly, I am not that bothered either in books or here on Lush. To me, a good story is a good story and I can overlook most things.

I tend to agree.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
0 likes
If the story is otherwise engrossing and I'm enjoying it, they tend to slide by me. If it isn't working for me to start, they can make it worse.
Troublemaker
0 likes
well I don't know, it's dialogue...maybe it was deliberate....
Constant Gardener
0 likes
It's been brought to my attention that I'm slandering or denigrating the Lush story verifying team with my post and initial comments above.

If anyone believes that is what my intent was, I apologize - and profusely so. That was not my main intent nor was it meant as a snide aside either.

I was simply reading a favorite story the other day and noticed something which I should have probably posted in the Rage Cage instead.

Ugh
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Coquette Roguette
0 likes
I happen to agree with the original comment. I tend to expect better proofreading from "big name" publishing houses and popular authors. Little grammatical mistakes stick out like a sore thumb and are definitely distracting. Irritating, much like sand in a bikini bottom: the more there is, the harder it is to ignore.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I have to agree with those who say the incorrect use of a word, its tense and especially the misspelling of a word is distracting. On occasion, I have lost interest in a story due to the poor use of English and the inexcusable misspelling of simple words regardless of the quality of the story.
Lurker
0 likes
The problem with errors is that when you write you see it as it should be sometimes and not the way it is. I have since learned to edit as much as I can but still I may not see the mistake. I cut people here plenty of slack because we all come from different walks of life with different levels of education and experience. Some people are storytellers and others are wordsmiths. It is when I am actually reading a novel or story in a big name magazine or from a major publisher that I just get floored. Once I read a historical novel that was so ridiculous in errors and inaccuracy that I just couldn't even take it so I laughed and quit reading it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sometimes little errors throw me totally off, then I have to back track and find where I left off before I can begin again...lol (but then again, as a kid, I would run down the hall and trip over some dust and end up rolling into one of the walls covered in carpet burns.) At least, I'm not as bad as my friend, who upon receiving a letter from a Marine recruiter, circled all his spelling and grammatical errors in red and sent it back to him.
Candyman
0 likes
I agree. I recently read a book from an author when I was visiting my family in Australia; it was a military type mystery. The author referred to one of the characters as a US Marine, with the rank of Lt. Commander. Well, needless to say, that is not possible (those of you who are or were military know that). The Marine could not have held a US Navy or US Coast Guard rank, but he could have held the rank of Major, which is equivalent to Lt Commander.

So, I says to myself, while this is an Editor/Publisher issue, writing the Editor/Publisher would get me no where. So, I found the author's email in the back of the book. I wrote him a kind note explaining his mistake. Low and behold, I got a reply from the author. He was apologetic and promised to remind the Publisher to hire better proof readers. Since then, he has had his next two books sent to me gratis. Not a normal situation, but if we, as readers, do not let the writers and publishers know we demand that grammar, spelling, punctuation, and facts be checked, rechecked, and then rechecked again, who will?

BTW, his next two books were fine. Well, I didn't find any mistakes.
"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." Nikos Kazantzakis

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm less concerned about spelling/grammatical errors than I am about sloppy or nonexistent dialog and stories that don't invite me into them.
Lurker
0 likes
I that is one of the characters speaking. I take it as the way the character is speaking. Also don't read any of my stories. They'll only waste your time.