Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

First erotic text book you read was and where?

last reply
75 replies
5.1k views
5 watchers
72 likes

Quote by Hasabrain2

The Happy Hooker. The local Target had a copy. I would read a few pages at a time over several weeks.

I remember that one. The couple I used to babysit for in high school (their son was friends with my youngest brother and they bowled in a pickup league with my parents) had a copy on a bookshelf in the room where I watched TV and did my homework. Spent more time perusing the husband's Playboy collection, which was piled in plain sight in the furnace room.

A poem for your enjoyment. Little something that came to me a couple days ago

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-mistake-4

The Adventures of Fanny Hill. I cannot remember how I got it, but it was very eye-opening.

Quote by Georgia_27_8

50 Shades.
I think a most people in my generation started with this series of books.
Shame about the film, though.

I was thoroughly disappointed by that book. As a prurient endeavor, there are many, many more erotic tales right here on Lush. And as a work of worthiness, the plot was implausible, the choice of vocabulary sophomoric, and the descriptions (other than the sex) uninspiring and unimaginative. The author could take some lessons from KrystalG, Amuse Bouche, and April601 to name just a few talented Lush authors. I think the great success of the book was due to timing more than anything else. Women were then entering an era of empowerment, and were ready and willing to explore (in their reading, at least) sexual variations with a more open mind than would have previously been accepted without being shamed for it. Just mho.

Sounds reasonable. Have not read any "60" Shades but I can vouch for the quality writing of our own April601.

Quote by Georgia_27_8

50 Shades.
I think a most people in my generation started with this series of books.
Shame about the film, though.

Hi, Georgia! I'm Jennifer, or Jen, whatever. I also answer to ma'am, Mum, Lieutenant, and since I tend to run towards alarms (not recommended), "Help!".

My first read, in English, of true literary erotica was Nicholson Baker's Vox.

I've been away for a tadge bit, I do apologise.

Anyway! I am so glad to see that you made it here, where--with some effort--you can find real literary erotica, not whatever that Fifty Shades of Grey disaster of a trilogy happens to be called by those blinded to the truth and beauty to be found in a well-turned word.

Not to criticise, I'm sure it is a lovely trilogy, I'm sure the author ranks right up there with J.R.R. Tolkien, however, she is not a writer of literary erotica; her writing is not literary erotica by a wide berth.

The author, also known as She Who Shall Not Be Named, never visited Seattle. Ever. She used Google Maps, photographs, and other media, but she didn't know certain particular details and ephemera so important to keeping one's reader engaged.

This means that she lost readers like myself about.....oh, whenever the female protagonist went to cross a street. In downtown Seattle, WA. In stiletto heels. That particular street? No way.

You try crossing that street, or any nearby street, in anything like stiletto heels, you end up flat on your face, stuck in asphalt, stuck in a manhole cover, stuck in something you don't want to know what it is, your heels break off, you fall and break your ankle...or all of the above! It is like a game, except not so much.

Wherever that scene happened, someplace in the first thirty pages of the first book, is where I walked away--in my Dansko clogs. Sexy, I know.

Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Yes, Penthouse's 'letters', later Variations were early go-to's. Then 80's femdom tabloids, sold in ABS, like Dominant Mystique, and Leather Links, which published one of my stories. First full length novel I remember enjoying was 'Judith Boston', by Titian Beresford. Hot lovely stuff.

The Bible. There’s some bangin poetry in Song of Solomon. Raised v conservative, homeschooled, the church denomination we were members of is descended from the Puritans. But sex and passion are innate.

Christina Lauren, "Beautiful Bastard" in audiobook format. I was not prepared. Listening to this in public (bus, subway, supermarket) was a special kind of experience... 😁

Quote by cydia

Christina Lauren, "Beautiful Bastard" in audiobook format. I was not prepared. Listening to this in public (bus, subway, supermarket) was a special kind of experience... 😁

Bingo

Although some of my Robert Heinlein novels and other sci fi had more sex than my parents realized, my first erotic/adult novels were a couple of paperback from a box of books belonging to an older step brother that were stored for a while at our house. I don't remember the title or author but it actually had a plot involving a mixed group of juveniles discovering sex and other things (much of which some already knew about being very observant of older siblings and even adults around them).

As a few have stated above, the first was the Penthouse Letters. Erotica and fantasies in my teen years.

In the early 80's I was in an adult store looking at magazines, videos. They had a rack of paperbacks on display and I bought one. Probably that was all I could afford that day. I read some that afternoon and had about three orgasms. My wife found it and asked me what it was. I told her to read some of it. She came to me later and attacked me. Fucked me in every way she could. I said, "I guess you liked the book". She just cooed.

We had many erotic evenings reading those paperback novels to each other.

I think it was that chapter of The Godfather where Sonny is screwing the girl with the giant pussy problem with his giant dick. It got passed around in summer camp.

An old favorite story of mine: The Chaise Lounge