Login

Your favourite first line from a book and a song

last reply
30 replies
2.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
Mine are: "Last night I dreamt I went to Mandalay again" Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

And: "The Mississippi Delta was shining like a National guitar" Graceland by Paul Simon.
Advanced Wordsmith
"I was working part time in a five-and-dime" Raspberry Beret by Prince
Active Ink Slinger
It was the best of times it was the worst of times A tale of two cities
Lurker
Once upon a time....
Active Ink Slinger
GENESIS - Chapter one, Verse one:- 'In the Beginning'.
Now read the rest of the book.
Internet Philosopher
I am the Vampire Lestat. I am immortal, more or less. The light of the sun, the heat of an intense fire. These things may destroy me, but then again, they may not.
-The Vampire Lestat by Ann Rice
Lurker
Book: Fiela's Child - Who am I ?

Song: Dozi - (Thinking of you) - I have nothing more to prove, I have reconciled.
It's a Afrikaans song, I translate the line...

Not the first line, but a line in the book or song, that is so true...
Lurker
Quote by silveranode
Now read the rest of the book.[/quote

I think very few ever have....
Active Ink Slinger
Will Young's Leave right now "But if I lose the highs, at least I'm spared the lows"

Arrigo Boito "When I saw you I fell in love. And you smiled because you knew"
Active Ink Slinger
Song: "Look in my eyes, what do you see, the cult of personality"
Cult of Personality by Living Colour.

Book: " If music be the food of love, play on"
Twelfth Night by Shakespeare.
Active Ink Slinger
Helen Reddy
You and me against the world, sometimes it seems like you and me against the world.

James Bowen - A Street Cat Named Bob
"There's a famous quote I read somewhere, it says we are all given second chances every day of our lives."
Head Nurse
"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea." -Douglas Adams

"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness." - Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Active Ink Slinger
Book: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Song: "Nights in white satin, never reaching the end," The Moody Blues
Lurker
"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." 1984 by George Orwell.
“So avoid using the word ‘very’ because it’s lazy. A man is not very tired, he is exhausted. Don’t use very sad, use morose. Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women - and, in that endeavor, laziness will not do. It also won’t do in your essays.”
― N.H. Kleinbaum, Dead Poets Society
Empress of the Moon
Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo. —James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
[url]http://[/url]
Her Royal Spriteness
"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold..."

Hunter S Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
A screaming comes across the sky.

...Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon
Active Ink Slinger
Song Angel : Spend all your life waiting for that second chance,For a break that would make it OK.( Sarah Mc Lachlin )
Active Ink Slinger
From an early Billy Joel song, "Summer, Highland Falls"

They say that these are not the best of times,
But they're the only times I've ever known,
And I believe there is a time for meditation
In cathedrals of our own.

Now, I have seen that sad surrender in my lovers eyes
And I can only stand apart and sympathize.
For we are always what our situations hand us.....
It's either sadness or euphoria.
Active Ink Slinger
"The screen door slam's, Mary's dress sways." Thunder road. Bruce Springsteen
"What is this that stands before me." Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath
"We all came out to Montreaux. Smoke on the water, Deep Purple
"Breathe, breathe in the air." Breathe, Pink Floyd
"Back in Black, I hit the sack." Back in Black. AC/DC
"There's a Lady who's sure, all that glitters is gold." Stairway to Heaven. Led Zeppelin
"Well I stand Up next to a mountain, I chopped it down with the edge of my Hand." Voodoo Chile (slight return). Jimi Hendrix

Just a few, I could go on.
The Right Rev of Lush
Several of my favorites have already appeard, so here a a couple that may seem a bit off the wall.

FRANCIS MARION TARWATER'S uncle had been dead for only half-a-day when the boy got too drunk to finish digging his grave and a Negro named Buford Munson, who had come to get a jug filled, had to finish it and drag the body from the breakfast table where it was still sitting and bury it in a decent and Christian way, with the sign of its Saviour at the head of the grave and enough dirt on top to keep the dogs from digging it up.

The Violent Bear It Away, Flannery O’Connor

==

You're breakin' my heart...you're tearing it apart...so fuck you.

You're Breakin' My Heart, Harry Nilsson

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Active Ink Slinger
I'm glad my favourites haven't been mentioned yet.

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it." - J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye.

"When I consider how my light is spent" - John Milton's Sonnet 16: On His Blindness, one of my absolute favourite poems.
"A dirty book is rarely dusty"
Active Ink Slinger
These are a few I like:

Time - Pink Floyd

Ticking away the moments
That make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours
In an off-hand way

Ohio - Neil Young

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Hand of Doom - Black Sabbath

What you gonna do? Time's caught up with you
Now you wait your turn, you know there's no return
Active Ink Slinger
And for books:

The Dictionary - Merriam-Webster

aard·vark [ahrd-vahrk] noun a large, nocturnal, burrowing mammal, Orycteropus afer, of central and southern Africa, feeding on ants and termites and having a long, extensile tongue, strong claws, and long ears.
In-House Sapiosexual
Favorite opening line from a book:
They did not know the color of the sky.
The Open Boat, by Stephen Crane
? A True Story ?
Lurker
Last night I went to sleep in Detroit City and dreamed about those cotton fields back home. (Merle Haggard from the song "I Wanna Go Home")
Quote by silveranode
Now read the rest of the book.

Well, if we're going all biblical here, how about John 1:1 (each section of the Bible is technically a "book" after all)?

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Echoes the opening of Genesis but takes it in a different direction.

Another favorite, this time from Shakespeare (Henry V):

O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention,
A kingdom for a stage, princes to act
And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!

Song is hard. So many good ones to choose from. However, the opening of Leonard Cohen's Democracy has always sent chills up my spine. Indeed, Cohen's lyrics are full of great ones (he's also an award-winning poet after all):

It's coming through a hole in the air,
from those nights in Tiananmen Square.
It's coming from the feel
that this ain't exactly real,
or it's real, but it ain't exactly there.
Lurker
"My wings ripped from me, this corporeal form weighing me down to the earth. . .so this is humanity."

Sariel from the book. . .The Fallen Ones. I love me some angel mythos
Active Ink Slinger
"They're out there." - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

----------------------------------------

"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man, of wealth, and fame." - the Stones

about six Beatles beginnings ("In My Life", "Norwegian Wood" "A Day in the Life" immediately come to mind)

"Ain't no sunshine when sheeeee's gone." - Bill Withers

"Rising with the morning sun" - Otis Redding (Sitting on the Dock of the Bay)

"Crazy, I'm crazy for feeling so lonely" - Patsy Cline (Crazy)

"There lived......a house.......in New Orrrrr-leans" - The Animals

"Well we all, came, out, to Mon-treeaaauuux" - Deep Purple (Smoke on the Water)

"There's a time to fuck, and a time to crave, but the Shah sleeps, in Lee Harvey's graaaaaaave!!!!" - The Butthole Surfers (The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave)

"Oh oh yes.......I'm the great.......pre-he-ten-hen-derrrrrrrr." - The Platters