Login

What is your favorite well written movie

last reply
33 replies
3.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
If you read stories on this website, you know writing is a key part of movies. A lot of time, it can make or break the movie. The best well written I've ever seen is Stranger than fiction. It's one of Will Ferrell's movies that wasn't funny like Anchorman or Blades of glory. It was a different kind of funny, and more of like a experiment that went horribly right. It was really too bad that it didn't do so well at the box office. I know when Will is gone, he'll definitely be remembered for this movie. Of course the others too, but still. Anyone that watches the movie, that writes, will definitely appreciate the writing of it. To me, its flawless.
Lurker
0 likes
Snatch - very well written, complicated plot with a wide variety of different characters and settings. Quintessential bad-guys that you can't help but love.

The Ghost and Ms. Muir - B&W, lovable characters, simple story line, while supernatural and humorous it's touching and quite the tearjerker for me.

Rope - another B&W - tension, drama and suspense that's all emotional for the three main characters and one dead guy you never see. The classics like Rope really used character line delivery to paint the picture - Rope takes place all in their apartment, it's simple but sucks you in.

Avatar - so many people love to hate this movie, but for how complex it is (presenting all new words, settings, concepts, weaponry, religious aspects, political issues) they handled it very well. You can still identify with both sides - I don't have one particular character I dislike more than another - and the plot is familiar, but not too cliche, and flows well.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
The Sting: They don't make con movies like that anymore. Well written, well acted. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Fight Club: Obvious

The Dark Knight: Wow was The Joker written perfectly. Really is one of the best comic book movies ever made. Bar none.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
If we're excluding adapted scripts such as 'Grapes of Wrath' 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe' or anything by Tennessee Williams and sticking with films where the dialogue is more important than the action, then I'd include:

Citizen Kane
Adam's Rib
Patton
The Producers (org)
Annie Hall
Pulp Fiction
Lincoln

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'd have to go with The Terminal and The Legend of 1900.
I was also partial to the movies The Jacket and Sliding Doors.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I will say the last 2 Batman movies. The edge goes to the Dark Knight, because of Heath Ledger, probably the second best villain of all time, after Anthony Hopkins in "Silence of the Lambs"
My Stories

No Ordinary Gal

Fucked and Taken

That Special Evening
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Have to add

The Talented Mr. Ripely.

Goodness was that movie creepy as fuck. Matt Damon nailed that performance.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Adaptation based on the book the Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean, and starring Meryl Streep and Chris Cooper. Screen play by Charlie Kaufman. Directed by Spike Jonze. An amazing movie about trying to adapt an unadaptable book into a screen play. it's brilliant and needs to be seen at least twice.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
I think it would have to be Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.
Lurker
0 likes
I sure liked Silver Linings Playbook, a movie I will never forget.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by kornslayer1
If you read stories on this website, you know writing is a key part of movies. A lot of time, it can make or break the movie. The best well written I've ever seen is Stranger than fiction. It's one of Will Ferrell's movies that wasn't funny like Anchorman or Blades of glory. It was a different kind of funny, and more of like a experiment that went horribly right. It was really too bad that it didn't do so well at the box office. I know when Will is gone, he'll definitely be remembered for this movie. Of course the others too, but still. Anyone that watches the movie, that writes, will definitely appreciate the writing of it. To me, its flawless.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one - great writing. I also think any movie based on a book has an unfair advantage over other movies. Lots of character, background, etc to choose from. I like to see the movie first, then read the book. Otherwise the movie sucks.

If you want a movie with a complex plot, several layers and impeccable acting - hard to beat "The Departed"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Mine would be:

Adam's Rib
All About Eve
American Beauty
Anatomy of a Murder
Braveheart
Bull Durham
Chinatown
Citizen Kane
It Happened one Night
L. A. Confidential
North by Northwest
Pillow Talk
Pulp Fiction
Shawshank Redemption
Silence of the Lambs
Six Degrees of Separation
The Sixth Sense
Sunset Boulevard
Tootsie
The Usual Suspects
Vertigo
Woman of the Year
Lurker
0 likes
Anything by Neil Simon. Kinda like Prince, even his worst outing is better than most offerings.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Primal Fear
Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Lurker
0 likes
Red Rock West, written and directed by John Dahl,
The Last Seduction, directed by Dahl, written by Steve Barancik.

Anything by Woody Allen, especially Bullets Over Broadway
Lurker
0 likes
basic.
its a movie with John Travolta. its a good movie that makes you think. its a thriller that makes you think that you know whats going on, but you dont.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Silverado.
I love it as a new twist on a Western Theme.
Lurker
0 likes
Many that I would list have already been mentioned, but I'd like to toss Pan's Labyrinth in there too.
Lurker
0 likes
Zombie strippers
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Saving Private Ryan - Not many movies bring me to tears, but this one still does!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan
Have to add

The Talented Mr. Ripely.

Goodness was that movie creepy as fuck. Matt Damon nailed that performance.

Yes! This is one of my top three favourite movies of all time. It was brilliant. The screenplay adaptation was perfection and the direction, acting - all of it top notch.

Match Point is another one. It's an exceptionally clever and well-written film with very disturbing/haunting undertones as well. This doesn't even feel like Woody Allen's typical fare or stye at all - it's such a standout.

I've re-watched those two films many times.
Lurker
0 likes
Memento & The Princess Bride. I love all the Hitchcock movies that have been mentioned!
Lurker
0 likes
My favorite is the John Adams mini series. In my opinion, it's the best movie 'hands-down'.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love that classic list I see above, but my all time favorite movie, with wonderfully written and witty dialogue, is "Casablanca" (1942, Warner Brothers), starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman

Lurker
0 likes
The American President. A romantic comedy that a lot of people pass by, but I loved the writing and the wit.
Lurker
0 likes
hmm well written movie.

1. The Green Mile
2. Stephen King The Stand
3. Legend of the Falls
4. Two Brothers
5. Eight Below
Lurker
0 likes
1. King of Kings

2. Interview with the Vampire

3. Blade

4. Django Unchained

5. Immortals

I have a lot more, but these are my top five.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My vote goes with Pulp Fiction..but Zombie Strippers..what an absolute classic.
" I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer"
Woody Allen
Lurker
0 likes

quietly swept away, except from those who remember.
Lurker
0 likes
Dark Knight