Underrated Movies?

last reply
47 replies
3.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Are there any movies put out over the last few years that you feel were underrated? Maybe because they went unknown? Or maybe they received unfavorable reviews?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Captain Fantastic with Viggo Mortensen. I thought it was brilliant, but i am guessing a lot of people never heard of it.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Mana wahine
0 likes
I enjoyed Winter's Bone, I may be wrong but I think that was Jennifer Lawrence's breakthrough after doing that film. It was coldly realistic, showing how Meth can really fuck everything up for a family and a community.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Lauradj
I enjoyed Winter's Bone, I may be wrong but I think that was Jennifer Lawrence's breakthrough after doing that film. It was coldly realistic, showing how Meth can really fuck everything up for a family and a community.

I loved it too. I read the book as well. It was Jennifer Lawrence's beak out role.
Lurker
0 likes
In the late 90s John Favreau made "Swingers" which was kind of a cult hit.

But most people don't know about "Made." Written, directed and starring John Favreau and Vince Vaughn.

Made had the same characters and the same dynamic between Favreau and Vaughn. And it's much much funnier. The play low level criminals sent to do a basic job. The character played by Vaughn is hilarious.

My undergrad friends and I used to watch this movie every night before going out. And the lines and terms used will stick with you for ever.

The Vince Vaughn character is especially entertaining and a bit cringy.

It also stars Puff Daddy.
Lurker
0 likes
Wind River was probably the biggest casualty of the Weinstein debacle.

This is a beautifully shot film based on a murder on the Wind River reservation in Wyoming. Native Americans are often kept out of main media and this is a rare move that touches on the issues facing indigenous people. It's written and directed by Taylor Sheridan who also wrote and directed Sicario and Hell or High Water. In fact he casually refers to these three great films as his border trilogy.

Because it came out during the Weinstein scandal it didn't get the proper distribution and was not seen by many audiences. But the critics loved it. It has a 7.7 on IMDB and the cinematography is great. It stars Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen. I highly recommend it
Mana wahine
0 likes
Book of Eli had a great narrative about religion, as well as the post apocalyptic type wasteland/landscape.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Lauradj
Book of Eli had a great narrative about religion, as well as the post apocalyptic type wasteland/landscape.

I've never seen it but it's been on my list for a long time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I think Predestination is one the most underrated movies I've ever seen. Dealing with the concept of time travel in ways most movies avoid (Primer probably takes the prize for most complicated depiction) for the most part, it uses the concept to explore destination and identity in ways that had me watching the movie many times.

While Ethan Hawke is great in the film, Sarah Snook steals the show in her roles. Her performance is layered in ways that made me wish she had been nominated for awards. She's seriously that good. Without giving anything away, I just highly recommend this one.
Force of Nature
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

I've never seen it but it's been on my list for a long time.

Do see The Book of Eli. You owe it to yourself. One of the best post-apocalypse films I've ever seen.

The Postman is a lot better than its reviews would have you believe. The book by David Brin is much better still, of course.

A Boy and His Dog, written by Harlan Ellison, is the other best post-apocalypse film I've ever seen.

And speaking of Kevin Costner, Mr Brooks is wonderfully creepy.

Looks like we're in for a nasty spell of wether.

Gracie Goes To Hollywood's - True

The Night They Tried to Close RUMPLATIONS Bar (with JamesLlewellyn)

living dead girl
0 likes
Quote by GraceW

Do see The Book of Eli. You owe it to yourself. One of the best post-apocalypse films I've ever seen.

The Postman is a lot better than its reviews would have you believe. The book by David Brin is much better still, of course.

A Boy and His Dog, written by Harlan Ellison, is the other best post-apocalypse film I've ever seen.

And speaking of Kevin Costner, Mr Brooks is wonderfully creepy.

A boy and his dog is fucking fantastic!

All cheerleaders die
Only lovers left alive
May ( May is soooo seriously underrated )
Duke of Burgundy
The Killing of Sister George
Entertaining Mr Sloane

to just name a few
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Captain Fantastic with Viggo Mortensen. I thought it was brilliant, but i am guessing a lot of people never heard of it.

I missed this when you first posted it, but yet I agree. This was a great movie. I think Viggo was nominated for an academy award for this but the movie itself didn't get a lot of buzz.

It was great. It was filmed in Oregon and was shot beautifully. The dialogue was tight and crisp.

Didn't get enough funding for marketing though. It was a small movie made for 5 million, and still made a gain. In this day and age, this type of movie just can't compete with the big budget blockbusters... which is why it maybe should have been on netflix. These low budget indies can't compete with big studio films.
Force of Nature
0 likes
Quote by vanessa26

A boy and his dog is fucking fantastic!

All cheerleaders die
Only lovers left alive
May ( May is soooo seriously underrated )
Duke of Burgundy
The Killing of Sister George
Entertaining Mr Sloane

to just name a few

I have to see Sister George and Mr Sloane again. The others I don't recognise, I'll try to find them.

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - I don't know if this counts as underrated but it's one of the funniest movies I've seen. My husband hates it.
Brimstone and Treacle - the BBC play and the movie.
The Boys in the Band

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Jeez, so many good movies mentioned already. Winter's Bone (GREAT book, he's a really good writer) May (!!!). A Boy and His Dog. The Postman.

I'll add:
Waterworld
Exorcist III
Anaconda
Spiderman 2
Pacific Rim (I'm looking at you Jen)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (I thought I'd throw that in there because it seems to be getting dinged by critics, I fucking LOVED it)
Force of Nature
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
Wind River was probably the biggest casualty of the Weinstein debacle.

This is a beautifully shot film based on a murder on the Wind River reservation in Wyoming. Native Americans are often kept out of main media and this is a rare move that touches on the issues facing indigenous people. It's written and directed by Taylor Sheridan who also wrote and directed Sicario and Hell or High Water. In fact he casually refers to these three great films as his border trilogy.

Because it came out during the Weinstein scandal it didn't get the proper distribution and was not seen by many audiences. But the critics loved it. It has a 7.7 on IMDB and the cinematography is great. It stars Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen. I highly recommend it

Dammit, it's $3.99 on Amazon Prime. I don't have it. So are Swingers and Made. And Winter's Bone and May.

I found Captain Fantastic, starting it now.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I firmly stand by the opinion that the Super Mario Brothers movie was an absolute gem.

I'm a big fan of horror movies and a lot of them don't get the attention they deserve:

*They Look Like People: is simultaneously really, really fucking scary and also a really moving exploration on mental illness and how hard it can be for men to ask each other for help when they need it.
*Berberian Sound Studio: A fascinating look at Foley work (creating sound effects for movies/TV) and a really good psychological horror with a callback to Italian Giallo films.
*Digging Up The Marrow: Goofy found-footage meta-commentary on working as an independent horror filmmaker, plus some really cool and creative practical effects.
*[*REC]: The american remake is okay, but the original Spanish version is the real gem. It somehow manages to make both found-footage and zombies interesting.
*Mom And Dad: Really cool premise and Nicolas Cage absolutely tearing up the scenery and devouring it whole.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (I thought I'd throw that in there because it seems to be getting dinged by critics, I fucking LOVED it)

Really? It has an 85% on rotten tomatoes.

If any critics hated on this movie it was due to stupidity. They probably felt that it was "misogynistic" due to the fact that Margo Robbie didn't get enough lines.

These dumbfuck people obviously don't understand art.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Really? It has an 85% on rotten tomatoes.

If any critics hated on this movie it was due to stupidity. They probably felt that it was "misogynistic" due to the fact that Margo Robbie didn't get enough lines.

These dumbfuck people obviously don't understand art.

That's EXACTLY what the review said! Even though Margo is the shining gem at the center of that movie. She doesn't need lines. The movie plays like an homage to her. Like it's protecting her.

They also didn't like the amount of violence at the end. Um, remember the actual Manson murders?
Lurker
0 likes
You Were Never Really Here.

I don't know why this didn't get more attention. It might be due to the terribly bland title.

Most violent movies tend to be very unrealistic, but the violence in this is very very realistic.

It's dark, well acted, and filmed very well. I was surprised to see that it was based on a book by Johnathon Ames who usually writes lighter stuff.

Joaquin Phoenix is great in it. I think whoever was marketing this movie, fucked up. Because it definitely didn't get the attention it deserved.

After posting this, I realized that it was on Amazon....which is probably why it didn't get the wide distribution.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't see any foreign language movies on here but one of the best films I've ever seen is one from Peru called "Contracorriente" or"Undertow" in English. It's a gay subject movie like "Broakeback Mountain" and almost as good and I think anyone will like it no matter their sexual orientation. If you really like well-made films, check it out.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by spinneroftales
I don't see any foreign language movies on here but one of the best films I've ever seen is one from Peru called "Contracorriente" or"Undertow" in English. It's a gay subject movie like "Broakeback Mountain" and almost as good and I think anyone will like it no matter their sexual orientation. If you really like well-made films, check it out.

I was actually planning on making a "best non english film" thread.
colin123
0 likes
Midnight Express.
0 likes
Quote by laura

Yes, it was a good film. Not great but good. I loved the ending.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I just watched a movie called Shelter with Anthony Mackie and Jennifer Connelly.

Probably the best depiction of homelessness I've seen in a movie.

There is also a cumshot that is the best representation of cum on a woman's face that I have ever seen.
Rainbow in the Dark
0 likes
Quote by CarltonStJames
Snowpiercer directed by Bong Joon-ho was quite enjoyable. It explores themes with classism just like his most recent release Parasite.

Yes, I thought that movie was great! I saw it as a double bill with the Terry Gillian movie Zero Theorem, which I thought was also very underrated.

Korean cinema in general seems to be very underrated, I guess the awesomeness that comes out of Japan overshadows it a bit. For a while I was pen-pals with a Korean girl who was a movie buff, and she recommended a bunch, I'll have to see if I can remember some. I remember one had a mute homeless guy who broke into people's houses when they were away to have somewhere to sleep and fixed stuff for them as anonymous payment.

Even before I started corresponding with her though, I saw a Korean movie that I think is definitely underrated: Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance. It's the first in Park Chan-wook's "Vengeance" trilogy, which also include Oldboy and Lady Vengeance. They're both awesome too, but seem to be more well-known and received. The first has a completely different feel, much less glossy and slick, more slow paced, menacing, tragic realism.

Punked competition entry: Punk’s Undead

A very naughty Catholic schoolgirl: Emma (Part 1) (RR) | (Part 2)

Horror: Women Of Dark Desires(RR), Doll Parts (EP), Lo! Baphomet! A Queer Erotic Horror (OS)

A cheeky little micro: Go Fuck Yourself!

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
The hills have eyes part 2
0 likes
Being a 'war movie' fan(atic?), I think the Australian film Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan is a wonderfully made 'non-hollywood' movie about the battle during the Vietnam War. It seems to accurately capture the events as told by veterans of the battle, and has just enough drama added to keep it from being stiff and documentary-like. Travis Fimmel (Ragnar of the Vikings TV series fame) stars as Major Smith.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by vanessa26

This although I know someone who'd def disagree lol

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!