last reply
33 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Charming as fuck
0 likes
What’s it all about?

The aim of microfiction is to tell a complete story within a limited number of words. For Lush, we’ve set that limit at 100 words, but for those who need more we also have a Flash category that can accommodate stories of up to 1,000 words.

We’re looking for complete stories, so ones with a beginning, middle and an end, a discernible plot, and again because this is Lush, we’re looking for sexy stories, or ones with a romantic/love theme to them.

How on earth can I fit all that into 100 words?

It’s a challenge for sure. That’s the whole point of it. Micros shouldn’t just be a fleeting thought that you’ve had that you can’t be bothered turning into a longer story. They’re a challenge. They’re going to force you to think about every single word you use. They’ll get you thinking about the way you write your sentences. About the words and descriptions that you use. Are they necessary? Can you trim them down? Can sentences simply be one word? Absolutely. See?

But, you also need to pay attention to the rules of grammar and the story still has to read well. Don’t omit words that essentially make your sentence meaningless by leaving out subjects or objects. Sentence fragments are not sexy!

Same with dialogue. We’re still going to be pedantic about the way it’s punctuated, but do you need the ‘he/she/they said’ dialogue tags? Writing micros should hone your writing and help tighten it up and keep it flowing.

A picture is worth a thousand words

It’s so true. To aid the visualisation process we suggest that you use a header picture for your micro. Something that’s inspired you and will aid with the story telling. It’s not compulsory, but really helps when your word count is so limited.

Tags and Author’s note

Tags should be used to help visitors to the site find stories that align with their interests. They shouldn’t technically be used to explain more of your story, however if they are relevant we will likely let them stay. The author’s note is there so that you can give a very brief introduction to the story. For something as short as a micro, it generally isn’t needed, but some might like to mention where they saw the picture, or what inspired the story. If you’re using the note to essentially add to the story, then it’s likely that the micro category isn’t the place for it.

I need inspiration. Please give me some good examples!

Absolutely. We have some authors here who have mastered the art of a micro.

Take this example. Fly Swatter by Kistinspencil. She’s got the full story elements, a plot, characters and on the whole it’s just a really fun, sexy tale.

She stalks the room, armed cocked, radar scanning. She sees it settle and snaps the swatter down. Spinning and flailing in frantic pursuit, her next blow finds her partner, tit square.

"Oh, babe! I’m sorry, it’s that fucking bottle fly..." then stops as she sees a nipple rapidly rising proud beneath the thin tee.

Eye to eye, they each raise a brow.

"Stay!" she commands.

In a minute she’s back, poised in the hallway door, naked, smiling, waving two swatters.

Next door, Mr. Jacobs looks up from his book as gleeful cries echo out.

He shakes his head. Newlyweds!

Another good example is Perfect Timing by Redwriter34. We’re thrust straight into the action in this one, it heats up and then he has a killer last line, showing that misdirection is still possible even with so short a word count. It’s a really clever little story, but still sexy.

Wet-mouthed from her soaking thighs, her young lover asks, “How long have we got before your husband comes?”

Panting feverishly, gripping his solid member, she admits, “Time enough. Fill me again. Lick my nipples.”

Tonguing her nipples, he slams his gorgeous piston deep into her. She squeals rapturously, “Ooh, you’re such an animal.”

His thrusts plunge faster into her very core. Head thrashing wildly, she suddenly cries out, “He’s coming.”

Her lover rolls off her. They watch as her naked husband wanks over them, his ancient cock spurting strings of cum across her bare belly and breasts.

A great example showing how to build an entire world in just 100 words is Elliotlacey31’s The Gunslinger. Here, he’s not only got a great plot, he’s also got dialogue and a backstory. It’s beautifully done and is a fantastic example of the important distinction of a micro needing to be a complete story (beginning, middle and end) but not necessarily having to give you all the answers.

"Who is she?" he asked, admiring the gunslinger’s iron.

The carving took him months. Its ivory grip was adorned with a woman’s likeness engraved on both sides. Careful etchings captured her dark hair and eyes, beautiful face almost smiling, forever frozen in time.

The gunslinger could almost feel her again, those raven locks dancing in the night wind when they made love by dim camp fires.

The question is answered with a round through the man’s heart, the entire saloon erupting in screams.

"The woman I love, the one you killed," the gunslinger whispered even though no one heard him.

Finally, this little gem, Why Is There A Typewriter, by ChrisPowell68 is an example of a micro that is all dialogue. It’s a great use of the picture to set the scene and when line 4 of the dialogue just opens everything up and cements the visual, well, it’s just genius.

“Why is there a typewriter?”

“What?”

“In that picture over the bed. Why is there a typewriter?”

‘You stopped licking me to ask that?”

“I just wondered.”

“The guy’s a writer.”

“He writes in a field?”

“Apparently.”

“And lugs a typewriter all the way out there? With the books and . . . is that a camera?”

“Maybe the woman carries it. Maybe she’s a photographer.”

“OK, she’s taking pictures of the flowers, and he’s writing about flowers, I guess, and they say, ‘Hey, we both like flowers, let’s bone.”

“Maybe he even licked her pussy.”

“OK, OK, hint taken.”

So to sum up:

Do
>Structure your story so it has a beginning, middle and end. It’s fine to leave questions unanswered and let the reader extrapolate, but the story you tell still needs to be complete
>Eliminate unnecessary words by careful editing and proofreading
>Use a picture to aid with the storytelling
>Remember that it needs to be sexy or a love story
>Use writing micros as a way to hone your writing by trying different styles

Don’t
>Submit something that would be more suitable to a blog post
>Try to shoehorn a complex story into 100 words
>Eliminate words that then make your sentences grammatically incorrect
>Assume it’s going to be easy just because it’s short.
>Be afraid to try. Yes, it might get rejected, but at least you gave it a go and you’ll hopefully get some good feedback.

Some other good examples of micros can be found below.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/-pinnacle-.aspx

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/-drowning-.aspx

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/-by-the-lake-.aspx

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/-its-my-life-on-the-range-.aspx

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/-unerotica-tin-foil-.aspx

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/-cupcaking-.aspx

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/-she-needed-it-bad-.aspx

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/-fantastic-breasts-and-where-to-bind.aspx

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/-go-fuck-yourself-.aspx

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/-a-woman-scorned-.aspx

God Empress of Lush
0 likes
Jen makes some excellent points here, with some well-chosen examples.

I’d like to suggest that there’s one particular type of story that suits microfiction really well, and that’s the sort that ends with a “punch-line”: often (but not necessarily) comical. More than in most stories, that final sentence is critical, and something that brings a smile to the reader’s face is always a winner.

And if I may be so bold, I’d like to use a couple of my own stories as examples – not because they’re any better than many others, but because I know where they are.

For example, in “A Pizza The Action”, the main paragraph is pure filth, but the last two lines round it off with a chuckle (and open it up to the reader to fill in what comes next).

Practice Makes Perfect” basically plays the same trick.

Forgive Me Father, for I have Sinned” was my entry for last year’s Microfiction competition and has (I think) one of my naughtiest and funniest endings, with the last two lines again adding a whole new twist to the story. Even though it didn’t come anywhere in the comp, I still think it’s a good example of a proper 100-word story.

A Lift Home” has a punch-line which is maybe less purely funny, but adds a whole new dimension to the story. It’s also one where the picture definitely inspired the story.

And finally, a slightly different story is “99”, where the fun comes from not knowing why the protagonist has her face covered in semen. In 100 words, you can get away with not explaining it, and that (I think) makes the story funnier.

Annie xxx

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I agree with Annie - I like the style of micro with a punch-line or twist at the end, which I tried to do with The Morning After just published today. As Jen says, it's a good exercise in concise writing, and you really don't need those dialogue tags.

it can be a poignant punch-line rather than funny, as in The Confession by Verity100.
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Thank you, Jen, for this post and including my doodle with those truly sterling examples. It should be obvious, having written a hundred of them, that I am enamored of the form. Micros are a rigorous, demanding trial for any writer. The lessons learned in trying to master one will benefit everything that comes after. I hope every author will try a few and see what happens.

That said, be aware the category is somewhat hidden away for the random reader. Your story will not be listed on the main page, so has to be sought out. I believe there have only been two Recommended Reads ever awarded outside a competition.
Easily amused
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil
Thank you, Jen, for this post and including my doodle with those truly sterling examples. It should be obvious, having written a hundred of them, that I am enamored of the form. Micros are a rigorous, demanding trial for any writer. The lessons learned in trying to master one will benefit everything that comes after. Try a few and see what happens.

I tried a few. I wrote five. They all sucked.

Clearly, your ability to write these is the devil's work.

Tintinnabulation - first place (Free Spirit)
Comet Q - second place (Quick and Risqué Sex)
Amnesia - third place (Le Noir Erotique)

Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Quote by Ensorceled

I tried a few. I wrote five. They all sucked.

Clearly, your ability to write these is the devil's work.

There are certain rites and blood sacrifices involved. You get used to it.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
It might be helpful to some people to try writing micros over on our sister site. For one thing, the stories would definitely not need to be erotic. Any theme or subject matter is welcome since erotica is all you need to avoid. Here on Lush being erotic is the main feature, one would expect.

I've posted 136 micros on SS at this point. Clearly that is mainly because micros were an established category there for many years. Here on Lush, I have only written 7.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Here is a sequence of three micros by three different authors which I am very fond of:
Tale of the Talking Pussy
The Puckered Bitch Fights Back
Sugar and Spice

But frankly, I think kistinspencil has turned the micro into a true art form: I bow to her.

GrushaVashnadze's best stories:

Alison Goes to London (RR) - "love this... fun, and funny, and sexy" (sprite)

The Cursed Cunt (RR) - "holyyyyy sheeeiiit.... Your writing is fucking fantastic" (CarltonStJames)

A Worthless Filthy Fucking Smoking Trash Cunt Whore (RR) - "Brilliantly done. Of course." (naughtyannie)

Snow White and the Seven Dildos (RR) - "Fuck. It's perfect.... honestly genius and so fucking well executed." (VioletVixen)

Metamorphoses (RR) - "so imaginative and entertaining" (saucymh)

And There Came Two Angels to Sodom - "What a deliciously worded story! So juicy, so raunchy" (el_henke)

Fuck-Talk (with VioletVixen) - "Jeez. I feel rendered wordless by how much clever fucking fun this is" (Jaymal)

Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Quote by GrushaVashnadze

But frankly, I think kistinspencil has turned the micro into a true art form: I bow to her.

Thank you very, very much really, that's too kind.

(I put the paypal through this afternoon. I know we agreed on 150US, but I bumped it up 'cause you're just so sweet. Buy yourself something special, Grusha dear, something naughty! )
A legend in my own mind!
0 likes
I have to agree with Grusha, Kistinspencil has elevated the Micro to an incredible level. She's written 100 of them and each one is truly a complete story! A number of authors have also written wonderful micros, but I think kistin has been specializing in them and the focus and attention to each of hers is remarkable!

Jen's directions and advice should be well taken by anyone who tries a micro, they are much harder than they look. Trying to condense an entire story down to 100 words is more than an exercise in editing. You have to carefully choose each word for not only what it brings to the immediate story, but how it contributes to the subtle concepts that allow the reader to see the depth that is there, even if the words are not.

One of my favorite writers, Dashiell Hammett, was known for agonizing over each word in his stories. You might recognize him from stories like The Maltese Falcon and The Thin Man. Yes the movies are good, but the books are better :-)

But that's the kind of commitment necessary for a good micro. You have to squeeze every last nuance out of each and every word to not only meet the word count, but tell a complete story. I know, I've written a few and also had many rejected for not quite getting there! So when I read Sprite's, NaughtyAnnie's, KimmieBeGood's, (to name a few that come immediately to mind) in addition to Kistinspencil's, I know how hard every one of those micros was to write!

I know I missed quite a few of you whose micro's I have read and enjoyed, you can blame my warped mind for not having the list at hand right this second. But know I will keep reading your micro's and enjoying them and also appreciating the effort that goes into them!

Love,
Brooke
Meddle Not In The Affairs of Dragons, for we are Crunchy and Good with Ketchup!
A legend in my own mind!
0 likes
Quote by Green_Man

It might be helpful to some people to try writing micros over on our sister site. For one thing, the stories would definitely not need to be erotic. Any theme or subject matter is welcome since erotica is all you need to avoid. Here on Lush being erotic is the main feature, one would expect.

I've posted 136 micros on SS at this point. Clearly that is mainly because micros were an established category there for many years. Here on Lush, I have only written 7.

I've posted a few micros over there as well, including a small series of them involving what happens after a fairy tale ends LOL. I need to spend more time over there!
Meddle Not In The Affairs of Dragons, for we are Crunchy and Good with Ketchup!
Matriarch
0 likes
Excellent Jen, nailed it.

There are more than a few people recently who've felt like this is a chance to write any old dross. Some of which gets past our goalkeepers (maybe at the end of a shift, paid minimum wage during their 8 hours at the keyboard (they are all unpaid volunteers)), but the thing which sets us apart from other sites is our stolid and staunch commitment to quality.

Please don't submit nonsense folks. It wastes everyone's time.
Mary Poppins
0 likes
I had a stab a writing micros. I thought they were good until I looked at other peoples, then I realised just how poor they were. I’m having a try on the sister site at the moment. I need to build my skill level up and then have another go at writing some Lush worthy stuff. It is indeed hard to squeeze a whole story into just 100 words.
Be nice to each other

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by utterchaos
Definitely harder than they look. I've done two, and you do agonise over each word. They're great as an exercise to learn how to focus. I've got a couple I've done for friends too (not posted) which helped me get through writers' block.

I agree. I've had a bad case of writer's block for a long time, but the micro form is helping me move beyond. While I sometimes feel writing longer fiction is analogous to painting, writing microfiction is more like sculpture in that every stroke must be precise AND every bit of matrix has to be chipped away to expose the story.

"It seemed like a nice neighborhood to have bad habits in.” Raymond Chandler

"the Great God (snicker)" - James 'Bear' Llewellyn
0 likes
I have found Micros to be fun to write and thought I had done okay with my offerings.
I know there are some fantastic ones out there but I certainly felt humbled when I read Kimmi's latest offering -

Love Is Love

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Once more in Love Poems - My Forever Beauty

My 2 previous submissions:

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

Please read and enjoy. If you really enjoyed a story someone has written; how about clicking on 'Like' and/or 'Favorite'.
Why not leave a comment too?

0 likes
I have a few micros, but I just wanted to link my most recent one as an example of a fetish micro - not to be confused with using something outside what's commonly defined as vanilla to spice up sex, but a fetish - an urge, a need, pleasure not necessarily derived from the other person or sexual acts.

The first version got rejected which led to a lot of contemplating and a lot of changes to fit the guidelines Jen laid out, a little tricky with something so niche. It really forced me to look past the visuals and the feels that make up the fetish in question and delve deeper into the characters, the setting and a little into my own mind too.

100 Wet and Messy Words: Natto
Simple Scribbler
0 likes
Aww, thank you for the mentions, sweet Lushers! Micros, if done right, are a challenge to any writer.

Many here can write the micro and I love reading others in that category! My brain is better suited to shorter writings for sure. I think my sweet spot is around 2,000 words.

Thanks, Jen, for the valuable information detailing microfiction. The one thing I don't like to see is just a sex scene, with no hint of character or story within the 100 words.
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Quote by KimmiBeGood
The one thing I don't like to see is just a sex scene, with no hint of character or story within the 100 words.

I couldn't agree more. I really don't want to read someone's uninspired wet dream, to be blunt. I tend to error in the opposite direction and often need to add more spice to the soup or head for the blue site kitchen. You always strike a most satisfying balance of salacious humor, pathos, and insight.
Simple Scribbler
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil

I couldn't agree more. I really don't want to read someone's uninspired wet dream, to be blunt.

haha! Agree! Take that stuff to a chat room instead!
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Damn it! Now I've gone and written another one, you evil enablers! Goddess, it's even... HETERO! I feel so unclean.
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil
Damn it! Now I've gone and written another one, you evil enablers! Goddess, it's even... HETERO! I feel so unclean.

Licks off all the dirty bits.
Simple Scribbler
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil

What? Wait ... is there a dick in your story? A big one?? Kimmi racing to Kistin's micro
Simple Scribbler
0 likes
Quote by VioletVixen

Violet, you are a naughty one! Kimmi will be in the corner watchin'
Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Quote by VioletVixen

Ummm... can I get dirty for you again?

(apologizes to Jen for diverting her excellent post!)
Easily amused
0 likes
Here's what I find weird: I think I have some game at flash fiction, but I am SO BAD at micros. You'd think that the two forms would share similar strategies, but I don't think they do.

Here's a small example: I don't think flash needs a lot of plot. You need for one thing to happen, that changes a character in some way, but it can be very small and nuanced thing that happens. I DO think most of the better micros I've read have a strong plot, and it's essential to the story. Especially that last line twist, which seems to be a staple of good micros. Kistin did a three scene micro that still seems like witchcraft to me. Micros need more structure than flash, which boggles my mind.

Okay, one more: I think good flash tends to have genuinely hot sex in it, even if it's just a detail. I don't think you have time in a micro. Get in, get out, and you don't really have the words for a hot sexy detail. Micros tend to refer to sex, but not really describe it.

Anyway. My two cents. I think Jen's guidelines and advice are excellent. I'm in awe of those of you who can pull them off. I can't.

Tintinnabulation - first place (Free Spirit)
Comet Q - second place (Quick and Risqué Sex)
Amnesia - third place (Le Noir Erotique)

Simple Scribbler
0 likes
Quote by Ensorceled
Here's what I find weird: I think I have some game at flash fiction, but I am SO BAD at micros. You'd think that the two forms would share similar strategies, but I don't think they do.

Here's a small example: I don't think flash needs a lot of plot. You need for one thing to happen, that changes a character in some way, but it can be very small and nuanced thing that happens. I DO think most of the better micros I've read have a strong plot, and it's essential to the story. Especially that last line twist, which seems to be a staple of good micros. Kistin did a three scene micro that still seems like witchcraft to me. Micros need more structure than flash, which boggles my mind.

Okay, one more: I think good flash tends to have genuinely hot sex in it, even if it's just a detail. I don't think you have time in a micro. Get in, get out, and you don't really have the words for a hot sexy detail. Micros tend to refer to sex, but not really describe it.

Anyway. My two cents. I think Jen's guidelines and advice are excellent. I'm in awe of those of you who can pull them off. I can't.

Agree! You would think Flash and Micro are similar, but they aren't. For anyone wanting to try a micro, I would suggest taking a story you have written and stripping it down to create a micro. I think that approach might help you get in the right mindset. Don't know for sure...
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by KimmiBeGood
For anyone wanting to try a micro, I would suggest taking a story you have written and stripping it down to create a micro. I think that approach might help you get in the right mindset. Don't know for sure...

That could be a really interesting exercise. Finding the essence of your story and distilling it into 100 words. Makes you really consider what the key moment in the story is that opens up the rest of it.

I don't have many micros, but I'm actually more tempted to go the other direction and expand them into full-length stories. There are so many details that exist only in my head because they didn't make the 100-word cut.