Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Using Italian: don't trust Google translate!

last reply
8 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Being an ESL (English Second Language speaker), I've learned to ask for help. I have a very dear friend who's helping me a lot, not only correcting my stories, but explaining me my errors so I can learn. Believe me, if I read my very first story in its original version, I laugh, or cry.
I've walked a long road and I still have a lot to learn, but I'm on the right path.

Sometimes I read stories with Italian sentences and often they're not right. Please, do not trust Google translate or other translator, there are so many exceptions that even google can say it wrong, like gender, yes, adjectives, nouns, verbs, they all have gender.

I can help. Message me your sentence in English, with a little background like the era we are talking about, if it's a man or a woman talking, stuff like that, and I will gladly help you. I'm not connected 24/7, but soon enough I will answer.

Thank you.
Ginger.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU CAN'T LET ANYONE COME IN BETWEEN YOU AND THE THINGS YOU'RE PASSIONATE ABOUT IN THIS LIFE, OR IT AIN'T WORTH LIVING.

0 likes
Yup.

If you aren't familiar with or have only a passing knowledge of whatever language you are running through Google Translate, things will likely not end well.

Yes, Google Translate has been vastly improved in the past five years due to the implementation of a system that runs algorithm driven "translation" through actual human beings like myself. The aggregate feedback is then touched by IT magic, and the more accurate translation of the phrase is integrated into the algorithm.

Still, this is only true of very common languages; French is my natural language, and even with 2,727,600 individual contributions from French speakers from around the world, Google Translate still has difficulties. Idioms, for instance. Idioms and certain other types of phrasing simply don't translate.

Same for Spanish, which like French and Portuguese has specific phrases that vary by vast margins depending on where the speaker is from--for instance, Québécois French has entirely different idioms, swear words, and even grammatical rules when compared against Metropolitan French (also called Parisian French). It is so different, and the gulf between the two are so vast, that if IRL, as a Québécois French speaker, I were to attempt to communicate with a Metropolitan French speaker, the latter would likely not understand or miss a great deal of the conversation.

The reverse is not true--Québécois French speakers have no issues with understanding Metropolitan French. In my own case, I volunteer to vet Google Translate translations of English to French because although Québécois French was my mum's native language, she also recognised that speaking Québécois French alone was not a good option, and so I had a governess(?) from Nice for at least the first decade of my existence.

And this is for a language that as recently as fifty years ago was the lingua franca of the world.

Spanish and Portuguese do not have the exact same issues, but again, an algorithm will never be an adequate replacement for a human being. Arabic would be another example, as would Farsi and Hebrew or Yiddish--all super common languages, and all an absolute bafflement to Google Translate. So yah, if you have zero familiarity with any given language, please, find someone who even if not a native speaker is able to spot errors.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia
for instance, Québécois French has entirely different idioms, swear words, and even grammatical rules when compared against Metropolitan French (also called Parisian French). It is so different, and the gulf between the two are so vast, that if IRL, as a Québécois French speaker, I were to attempt to communicate with a Metropolitan French speaker, the latter would likely not understand or miss a great deal of the conversation.

The reverse is not true--Québécois French speakers have no issues with understanding Metropolitan French. In my own case, I volunteer to vet Google Translate translations of English to French because although Québécois French was my mum's native language, she also recognised that speaking Québécois French alone was not a good option, and so I had a governess(?) from Nice for at least the first decade of my existence.

And, yet, when I was learning French in public school in Ontario, we learned Parisian French and only got into the differences casually in high school, even though many of us would be more likely to encounter Quebecois French (or even one of the dialects spoken in parts of Ontario, which are different again). Someone who stopped taking French after Grade 10, when it ceased to be a required course, would barely know anything about the Quebec dialect. I get teaching the "standard" form of the language, but learning something about the dialect we are most likely to run into would also help considerably.

/end rant

(That said, I have never used my French much, even in Quebec, and so have lost most of it beyond bare bones basics. I can read it still, which helps with street signs and that sort of thing when I travel in French-speaking areas, but can't really speak it).
0 likes
I know having to rely on machine translations - it can be a little hit and miss. Italian is tricky (mine is atrocious), my French is much better.

Google Translate is odd... sometimes, it uses colloquials, other times, very formal. It's like a truculent teenager, depends what mood you catch it in.

I get the point on machine translation of Italian, there is gender smeared all over the place in Italian. Unless you keep it basic - you will get into trouble.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
@TheTravellingMan, remember, I can help!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU CAN'T LET ANYONE COME IN BETWEEN YOU AND THE THINGS YOU'RE PASSIONATE ABOUT IN THIS LIFE, OR IT AIN'T WORTH LIVING.

0 likes
Quote by WiseGinger
@TheTravellingMan, remember, I can help!

That's a very kind offer - thank you.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by TheTravellingMan
That's a very kind offer - thank you.

I can vouch for Ginger's expertise: she has kindly helped me to understand the subtle differences between "Porco Dio", "Porca puttana" and "Porca troia" - essential linguistic issues for a Lush writer, as exemplified in this story:

What Daphne Did Next

GrushaVashnadze's best stories:

Alison Goes to London (RR) - "love this... fun, and funny, and sexy" (sprite)

The Cursed Cunt (RR) - "holyyyyy sheeeiiit.... Your writing is fucking fantastic" (CarltonStJames)

A Worthless Filthy Fucking Smoking Trash Cunt Whore (RR) - "Brilliantly done. Of course." (naughtyannie)

Snow White and the Seven Dildos (RR) - "Fuck. It's perfect.... honestly genius and so fucking well executed." (VioletVixen)

Metamorphoses (RR) - "so imaginative and entertaining" (saucymh)

And There Came Two Angels to Sodom - "What a deliciously worded story! So juicy, so raunchy" (el_henke)

Fuck-Talk (with VioletVixen) - "Jeez. I feel rendered wordless by how much clever fucking fun this is" (Jaymal)

0 likes
Quote by GrushaVashnadze

I can vouch for Ginger's expertise: she has kindly helped me to understand the subtle differences between "Porco Dio", "Porca puttana" and "Porca troia" - essential linguistic issues for a Lush writer, as exemplified in this story:

What Daphne Did Next

Thanks Grusha...
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

Bailiff: Skip the impersonations. You are Alexander Yalt?

Publisher: I am.

Bailiff: You are hereby charged that on the 28th day of May, 1970, you did willfully, unlawfully, and with malice of forethought, publish an alleged English-Hungarian phrase book with intent to cause a breach of the peace. How do you plead?

-- Episode 25 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' (1970)