Pacing---how fast should a story move?

last reply
20 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I admire the prose of Elmore Leonard. It reminds me of a shark in the ocean: constant forward motion.

I like to read his prose because of the way it moves: fast, sure, strong.

Yet I don't finish some of his books becaue I don't care about the characters.
It's like eating chocolate covered peanuts: long as you keep eating 'em, you feel fine, but soon as you stop, you feel sick.

My stories tend to move fast. Sometimes I think too fast and people finish them wishing there had been more detail to linger over.

Anyone else wonder how best to pace their stories?
Writius Eroticus
0 likes
Pacing is one of the things I struggle with most. In Flash pieces, it's easy to make it too fast and the reader feels cheated. So the key there is to focus on one moment and dripfeed bits from outside the story to slow the pace of the action and make the piece seem bigger than it is.

With longer pieces, the action can become too instense to the point it becomes fatiguing. So little moments - things a character notices or a tiny telltale action that sells a character - make a world of difference to the perceived pace and reader engagement.

It's like movies. An action flick with a 100+ body count starts to become boring unless there's some compelling character moments to glue it. Conversely, a comedy might not be funny if a jape is done once, but by the third time it becomes funny like a rake-in-the-face if the timing is perfect. That balance of action to detail is critical to the success or otherwise of a story.

I often write a story and then leave it a few days, weeks, months, whatever. Then read it back and see if it feels 'lumpy' - if there are parts of it that don't flow as well as others. If so, I'll go in and embellish or cut depending on the needs of the story at that moment.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 104 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 70 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by WannabeWordsmith
Pacing is one of the things I struggle with most. In Flash pieces, it's easy to make it too fast and the reader feels cheated. So the key there is to focus on one moment and dripfeed bits from outside the story to slow the pace of the action and make the piece seem bigger than it is.

With longer pieces, the action can become too instense to the point it becomes fatiguing. So little moments - things a character notices or a tiny telltale action that sells a character - make a world of difference to the perceived pace and reader engagement.

It's like movies. An action flick with a 100+ body count starts to become boring unless there's some compelling character moments to glue it. Conversely, a comedy might not be funny if a jape is done once, but by the third time it becomes funny like a rake-in-the-face if the timing is perfect. That balance of action to detail is critical to the success or otherwise of a story.

I often write a story and then leave it a few days, weeks, months, whatever. Then read it back and see if it feels 'lumpy' - if there are parts of it that don't flow as well as others. If so, I'll go in and embellish or cut depending on the needs of the story at that moment.

Great answer. Thank you.
I remember reading a book about writing years ago that talked about the "scene / sequel" structure. The author's point was that the time AFTER the action is important for the character (and reader) to process what has happened. This is the part missing from many action movies, as you mention---it just becomes dull after awhile.

I tend to 'write short' which is fine when it works but when it doesn't, I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. ;o)
Lurker
0 likes
I don't write erotic stories nor read them very often, but I do read a lot.
I think the pace of any story directly relates to it's genre, a single short story, or is it a series.
The best writers seemingly have great detail about small everyday things, such as watching how the smoke from a lit cigarette floats across your view, talking with a friend in a low lit pub, or maybe whether a girl is sitting facing you or partly turned away, indicating the amount of attention and interest she truly has in you, are her hands folded together under her chin partly covering her mouth, or is she feeling more comfortable with you and your conversation.
Does the guy you have only just met seem nervous around you?
Is his eyes checking you out more often than looking back into yours?
Does the very sexy bar-back get your attention when you hear her clinking the glasses she is washing?
mmm...His cologne reminds me of that vacation to Zurich and how I shivered, feeling that handsome blonde haired boy's strong arms around me, and his wonderful scent when he helped me back up on my skies.

How the warm breeze gently flicks the frills of her blouse back and forth and presses her the thin fabric of her blouse to her bosom.

Love those pushed down bobby socks showing off her girlish ankles.

The pace of any story is dictated by the story, where it takes you, and you never really know where it will go, if you want to allow it to become something of it's own entity.

Of course I think a good build up to some euphoric bliss "may" always be a requirement for erotic stories. But isn't the real story how you get there? :-)

I'm sure every writer is very much justified to think they know their way of things is truly the right way, and that they can force a story to be what they want always.
I'm sure they can, but have they not then cheated the story, the reader, and themselves?

If it is a wham bam, short story, I need an orgasm right now kind of thing that you like, then I can conclude the pace would be much faster, maybe very descriptive, and to the point. But keeping it a more slow pace, leaving a lot to the readers imagination is never a bad thing either I think. :-)

But as I say, I'm not a writer of erotic stories nor do I read them very often, that isn't mainly why I come here, I just thought this forum topic was interesting.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by borntowatch

Great answer. Thank you.
I remember reading a book about writing years ago that talked about the "scene / sequel" structure. The author's point was that the time AFTER the action is important for the character (and reader) to process what has happened. This is the part missing from many action movies, as you mention---it just becomes dull after awhile.

I tend to 'write short' which is fine when it works but when it doesn't, I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. ;o)

You must be very good.
I kind of tried to explain my same thoughts the way you did so easily.
But I'm not a writer of erotic stories. :-)
"the Great God (snicker)" - James 'Bear' Llewellyn
0 likes
Quote by borntowatch

Great answer. Thank you.

It may be an impossible question to answer, what's good for the goose, isn't always good for the gander.
I've tried to write short stories...but never seem to be able to crop enough to make them flash.
What have started as a few chapters have exploded in much more.
With short, one off's there doesn't need to be much character growth, with longer pieces it would hard for there not to be, unless we a looking at a series of Debbie does Dallas type stories (90% sex, just different locations and positions).

I try and inject observations and a little humour even into my stroke scenes at times, 'she noticed, for some reason, there was a cobweb in the corner of the ceiling just as her orgasm rolled over her'. You know the sort of stupid shit that goes through your head at the most weird times. That stuff is what make characters more real, makes me get in touch with them more and makes me want to know more and care about them.
Their growth and adventures combined give you the pace for them.
I personally would be careful trying to force a pace on them as that could make it feel 'lumpy' too.

You know your characters best, what's the best pace for them?

(And now you can see why I struggle with short stories )

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Once more in Love Poems - My Forever Beauty

My 2 previous submissions:

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

Please read and enjoy. If you really enjoyed a story someone has written; how about clicking on 'Like' and/or 'Favorite'.
Why not leave a comment too?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A slow and sensual build up with lots of detail then the twisted climax leaving the reader highly aroused.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As long as it keeps my attention with good details and an exciting plot, it makes no difference to me. As long as when the story is complete when finished. I dont like cliffhangers. I start writing an ending to some.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by kiteares

It may be an impossible question to answer, what's good for the goose, isn't always good for the gander.
I've tried to write short stories...but never seem to be able to crop enough to make them flash.

You know your characters best, what's the best pace for them?

(And now you can see why I struggle with short stories )

I think it was Faulkner who said all writers would be poets if they could. If they can't, then it's on to the short story. If that doesn't work, it's on to the novella or novel.

I don't write much poetry anymore but I do write songs. They're short and, as a rule, more a matter of mood than narrative. (There are 'storyteller' songs of course.) I live for that 'moment' that encapsulates a world.

The advantage of the longer forms is that they allow you to dwell in another world (or life).
But I don't think I'm good at doing that, as much as I can appreciate others who do it well.

We're all finding our own way home, huh?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Pacing is so difficult. I struggle with how much detail to include or how quickly the sex should begin.
I think everyone wants sex but how detailed and how long should it last.

In the end I go with what feels right to me and cross my fingers that people enjoy the end result.

If you've read any of my stories, thank you

Li x
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by leggielibby
In the end I go with what feels right to me and cross my fingers that people enjoy the end result.

I suppose that's all we can do until we've gotten enough feedback (by putting out enough material) to see what works best for us.

It's interesting how many songwriters have mentioned a 'hit' song of theirs and said they didn't think that much of it when they wrote it.
As Chuck Berry put it, "You Never Can Tell."
"the Great God (snicker)" - James 'Bear' Llewellyn
0 likes
Quote by borntowatch

I think it was Faulkner who said all writers would be poets if they could. If they can't, then it's on to the short story. If that doesn't work, it's on to the novella or novel.
<snip>

Funny you should mention poems and songs, I've done a number of them, they tend to be mood poems and most definitely are not suitable for here.
So, short or long, but no happy medium for me biggrin

Quote by borntowatch

We're all finding our own way home, huh?

Yep we all have to find the path that suits us best.

Quote by leggielibby
Pacing is so difficult. I struggle with how much detail to include or how quickly the sex should begin.
I think everyone wants sex but how detailed and how long should it last.

Well in one of my chapters it took me over 1000 words just getting their clothes off

Quote by leggielibby

That's the best you can do, I think. Write your story and enjoy it and hope that it brings pleasure to someone else.

Quote by leggielibby

If you've read any of my stories, thank you

Li x

Not that I know...off to take a nose now :D

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Once more in Love Poems - My Forever Beauty

My 2 previous submissions:

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

Please read and enjoy. If you really enjoyed a story someone has written; how about clicking on 'Like' and/or 'Favorite'.
Why not leave a comment too?

Lurker
0 likes
I have a story about writing a song that will be submitted here soon. Stay tuned!
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Pretty fast, but that's just me. I like stories that toss the reader right in the middle of things, and keep the pace up.

@ the OP: I LOVE Elmore Leonard, and learned a lot about writing from reading him. Dialogue particularly, which he is a stone cold master at. He is also really good at hopping around from head to head in a scene, switching point of view effortlessly.

But back to the pacing thing: I like a story that just throws me into the action, without a lot of set-up or exposition or description. I like stories that trust the reader to figure things out. Just show us what's happening in the here-and-now of the story, and we can fill in the blanks of charactarization/exposition/description ourselves. I think Elmore Leonard said something like that too, about not bothering with writing the parts you might scim over as a reader.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

@ the OP: I LOVE Elmore Leonard, and learned a lot about writing from reading him. Dialogue particularly, which he is a stone cold master at. He is also really good at hopping around from head to head in a scene, switching point of view effortlessly.

But back to the pacing thing: I like a story that just throws me into the action, without a lot of set-up or exposition or description. I like stories that trust the reader to figure things out. Just show us what's happening in the here-and-now of the story, and we can fill in the blanks of charactarization/exposition/description ourselves. I think Elmore Leonard said something like that too, about not bothering with writing the parts you might scim over as a reader.

He is good---great at what he does---but I don't always finish his books. They're hart to put down but if you ever put one down, it's easy to leave it down. "I don't care what happens to these people."

That's the risk of starting in the middle of things---people may not care about the characters.
0 likes
I don't know what to say, other than that I am a tremendous fan of Nicholson Baker. I've had a serious literary crush on the man since...well, let's go with "a long damn time", shall we?

His pacing, and willingness to hurtle a reader forward only to rear that reader back, is amazing. My little piles of words are mere savage attempts at the divine.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia
I don't know what to say, other than that I am a tremendous fan of Nicholson Baker. I've had a serious literary crush on the man since...well, let's go with "a long damn time", shall we?

His pacing, and willingness to hurtle a reader forward only to rear that reader back, is amazing. My little piles of words are mere savage attempts at the divine.

I haven't read him. (Shame on me, right?) I'll have to remedy that.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by borntowatch

He is good---great at what he does---but I don't always finish his books. They're hart to put down but if you ever put one down, it's easy to leave it down. "I don't care what happens to these people."

That's the risk of starting in the middle of things---people may not care about the characters.

I care a great deal for his characters. They are usually some shade of grey morally, never black-and-white good guys/bad guys. Everyone's usually involved in some kind of con, legal or illegal. They're colorful, conplex, fully sketched out people, even the minor characters. And hid dialogue goes a long way to make his characters stand out.

Clearly, I'm an Elmore Leonard fanboy, but I still think his characters are really well drawn.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Clearly, I'm an Elmore Leonard fanboy, but I still think his characters are really well drawn.

They're vivid. I admire the speed of his prose but his stories rarely grab me. I've read a lot of his books and the only one I have a clear memory of is "Pagan Babies." They just don't stick with me. And that's okay. There's no shortage of books to read!I like to pick one up now and then and read a chapter or two. I admire the way he writes. I just don't care for (most of) the stories he tells.
Lurker
0 likes
I have to Thank each and every person that contributed to this post!
I love to write. Mostly about real life experiences. I often think I try to hard to
set the scene.
I do get to the "climax" but I feel sharing what led up to it is important.

I have gained some great tips here and Thanks to all!

Sherry
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sbombshell2
I have to Thank each and every person that contributed to this post!
I love to write. Mostly about real life experiences. I often think I try to hard to
set the scene.
I do get to the "climax" but I feel sharing what led up to it is important.

I have gained some great tips here and Thanks to all!

Sherry

With sex stories, we tend to know where things are headed. (Not always: there are surprises here and there.) Setting the scene is important, though it often takes little detail; it's more a matter of picking the most suggestive details.

What I try to do---and it is up to others to say whether I succeed---is to end the story so that it echoes in the reader's mind.

Sherry, I look forward to reading about your real-life experiences.