need a proofreader

last reply
86 replies
9.0k views
19 watchers
34 likes
Rookie Scribe
3 likes
Hi I love sharing our experiences but have trouble getting them accepted any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by like2watch1576
Hi I love sharing our experiences but have trouble getting them accepted any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to help but gonna be out of town for two weeks
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
That would be great, I'd really appreciate your help just let me know when its convenient for you.
Advanced Wordsmith
1 like
still looking for a proofreader?
Rookie Scribe
1 like
yes I am, I keep sending my story but can't seem to get it quite up to their standards. Would appreciate any help you could give me.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Hi Maria. I can help you with editing/proofreading. I have the first chapter of my novel pending on the site, and have published erotic short stories in various anthologies. Maybe we can help each other out. It's always nice to have another set of eyes on a story.

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

I have been working on the next chapter of my very first story . However I had problems getting that story right . I finally got it approved but I do not want to put these folks through something like that again . Let me explain . I have low vision problems so when I am writing someting I add extra spaces so I can see the punctuation . As I have done here . When editing to submit the story I sometimes miss a few spaces . I also sometimes goof on the proper form for conversations . Could I find someone who can proofread for me ??

1 like

I'm struggling to get a story published. If someone could please proofread and assist that would be great.

I just want to share our experience, not wright a book 😀

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Quote by like2watch1576

they will not publish any of my stories either,

I refused to let them give my story to one of their authors to keep him busy cause he was dry of ideas. so now I can't get anything published I have gone to removed they are not stuck up snobs there, also I am gold and they don't help me at all, and I have asked nicely for help .no fucking joy.

2 likes

Quote by oldCD

Quote by like2watch1576

they will not publish any of my stories either,

I refused to let them give my story to one of their authors to keep him busy cause he was dry of ideas. so now I can't get anything published I have gone to removed they are not stuck up snobs there, also I am gold and they don't help me at all, and I have asked nicely for help .no fucking joy.

What? Story Mods on Lush are super helpful! They want you to succeed and help share your literature w/ others.

You came off the wrong way.

And please, do not advertise other story sites on Lush.

0 likes

I'm stalled about 6 chapters into an 8 chapter outline of a Steampunk / Victorian / BDSM, novel / stroke story / alternate history, book... Thing... Need proofing, both for grammer and readability and feedback and maybe for collaboration if I can find a compatible author. I will absolutely credit any help I get. Must use google docs.

0 likes

Hi

I have written the second chapter of my story and am struggling with structure. The mods here are helpful but I find it difficult to mark my own homework. I think I am suffering from snow blindness.

The second chapter is 7800 words. If anyone is free to help then please get in touch.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Love to read it..40 years teaching

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

I have a story. it is about 5000K. It has been rejected several times, even after I have edited it. I am getting tired of rejection. Perhaps, I should just make it shorter?

Partner-in-Lust / Cummunist
3 likes

Quote by clayrider

I have a story. it is about 5000K. It has been rejected several times, even after I have edited it. I am getting tired of rejection. Perhaps, I should just make it shorter?

From what I can see, both rejections were clearly explained and none of them had anything to do with the length of your story. Only two attempts and you're already tired?
There are plenty of stories here (you can check the RRs or EPs) close to 10k, so that's definitely not the issue.
You need to be patient, especially when proofing your work - use the aiding tools, read a lot and follow the advice of mods and fellow writers.
It's not the size but what you do with it, as they say wink

Curiosity is one of those insatiable passions that grow by gratification.
Rookie Scribe
1 like

I appreciate your input. I have edited each of them several times and even sent them to other authors on lush for their comments. Most were quite positive, and several added some good suggestions. My comment on the length is that editing very large stories takes quite a bit of time. I think that I will break them up. Thank you again.

Clay

Rookie Scribe
1 like

I have a story that is in my mind completed, Bi sexual male genre, I have read through quite a few times but sure I've missed somethings, would there be any proof reading volunteers?

0 likes

Quote by robbie_hart1998

I have a story that is in my mind completed, Bi sexual male genre, I have read through quite a few times but sure I've missed somethings, would there be any proof reading volunteers?

I'm honestly not a great proof reader for grammer, punctuation, etc... But I can help with plot, consistancy, and flow. And I love bi male stories.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Hi, I have stories that I need some help in proofreading. They ranging from vanilla to full-blow BDSM and different types of fetish. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

I would love to help with any proofreading that you need. Let me know if I can be of any help. I look forward to hearing from you soon

0 likes

I haven't read all the responses. Grammarly has (or at least used to have) a free version to download and use. It will help with grammar and punctuation. One tip...don't double hit the "Return" key to separate paragraphs. It creates a space much bigger on the site than it does in Word. It's a mistake I've made, and Lush won't accept the larger spaces. Only hit the Return key once to separate paragraphs.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Like others here, I'm a newbie here, I know what i want to write, but the mods don't like my writing style! (I write whats in my head!) I do try and format it, but puctuation has never been my strong point. amyone willing to proof read and help me get some stories online?.

I have part 1 online (cos the mods were nice), but have more chapters fleshed out. I'm just redoing part 2, have part 3 in draft and plans for 4,5,6,7 and another couple!

many thanks

Advanced Wordsmith
5 likes

I have worked in education for years, trying to help students of all abilities improve their writing. While I don't have time to proof read people's stories, I can suggest some thing some my students find helpful. This revolves around the use of Microsoft Word and is available even in the free version you get with a Microsoft account.

So under the View menu in Microsoft Word is an item called Immersive Reader. What it will do exactly differs from version to version, but all of them will read out your story. I think the Immersive reader is designed for people with conditions such as dyslexia so, you can change the background colour, and the number of lines visible to you. The main feature, however, is that it will read your story out loud and you can change the voice to either male or female. You can also dictate the speed at which it's read.

I think, sometimes, we are so familiar with our own writing that we can't see the mistakes we make. Having those stories read out can reveal silly mistakes, So, for example, I ran one of my stories through and discovered I'd written "then then". I've proofread that bit loads of times and never picked it up.

Not everyone finds it useful. I know some people who find the voice too robotic. I'm also aware that some people dislike Microsoft products , nevertheless, I know students who have benefited from it.

In this microstory a page turner of a novel leaves the reader gasping for more. https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/the-bookshop-2

Having fun!
6 likes

I use Word 2010 which doesn't have Immersive Reader, so I used the online version and I have to say, "I like it" on first use. Yes, a little robotic and slow but definitely helpful.

The moderators who read this will confirm that my early efforts here were rejected (except, strangely for my first two posts). They were rejected for many reasons as I have fallen into many English traps only to climb out and fall into the next one.

I have to say (generally) I have found the moderators very helpful and they have pointed me in the right direction where I need to improve to get to the acceptable level in getting a story approved.

The 3 things I personally found most helpful...

1). Write, read, check, correct and check, correct, check, correct and so on. I spend on average 7x longer checking and correcting than I do ever actually writing. Yes, it is frustrating and yes it can take some of the joy out of writing but you will get better at it.

2). Grammarly and ProWriting Aid (free versions), I use both, though I need to add 10% of the time they fight each other so it comes down to a judgement call. Of the two, I find ProWriting better for grammar, it likes commas, full stops and punctuation. So if that is the area you are getting rejected for, use that software. I now put in all the extra ones it demands. Grammarly certainly doesn't demand so many commas, full-stops etc but it picks up missing words better.

3). Once finished, read your story aloud. Does it flow right? I struggle with this, but then I am not the best when I speak in real life! I suggest once you are happy with it, put it to one side and read it again, fresh, the next day, and ask, is it as good today as it was yesterday?

There is one more, it is the same one as I opened with, listen to what the moderators say... They are helpful.

PS. If you having problems with paraphrasing, then you are on your own on that one, as I am sure it didn't exist when I went to school!

My Dirty Talk comp entry: Knickerless

A standalone story: A Good Life

A standalone office sex story: Back in the Office

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Quote by mariabordelon

I am also looking for an editor/proofreader

someone I can bounce ideas and "in process" work privately

I have several stories and 6 novels thyat need attention

any volunteers

Yes…I’d love to proofread your work

And help editing

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

I’d love to help with your proofreading needs as well as helping with editing

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I am like most here. I have written a couple of stories. That were rejected. Appreciate any help I can get

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Hi. one of my stories keeps getting knocked back. have done full Word check. Can anyone help me please

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Hi I finally found my passion but rejected. Find somebody that can proofread it and help me edit it or guide me what to look for when I’m editing as it’s been rejected three times

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by sweetjohn69

I am like most here. I have written a couple of stories. That were rejected. Appreciate any help I can get

put it through Word checker. They are funny about punctuation in quotes, so might be best to rework to avoid direct quotes