Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How do I get people to actually vote and/or comment on my stories??

last reply
29 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Idk... Gryffindor?
I get a lot of views (and I would assume) a lot of readers, but very few actual votes and comments. Any advice on how to get people to actually vote or comment? I really want some feedback, but I get almost nothing. Help me out, my fellow lushies!
Lurker
Put a few links to your stories in your forum signature line.

Send a mass email to all your friends?

I'm not sure.

Hugs.xxxoo
I have the same problem, sorry to say you may just have to let it go, because even as it takes just a few seconds, some people won't do it. Or maybe they just won't finish the story. It seems to be going around here.
Testing The Waters.
You're doing pretty well as far as Lush reader participation goes. If you page through the new stories, the majority get fewer than 10 votes, and a couple of comments.

When something jumps above the norm, you can usually see a reason for it.

A prolific author will keep people checking more often, and thus keep them voting and commenting more consistently.

The same applies to popular authors who are very active in the forums, chat, on other people's profile comments, etc. Someone who stays socially active can overcome a slower production rate.

Those are the two big ones.

You have to keep yourself in readers' heads. If you don't there are a pack of new stories each and every day that may catch their eye before they remember "that guy who wrote that story I liked last week".
Idk... Gryffindor?
Quote by RejectReality
You're doing pretty well as far as Lush reader participation goes. If you page through the new stories, the majority get fewer than 10 votes, and a couple of comments.

When something jumps above the norm, you can usually see a reason for it.

A prolific author will keep people checking more often, and thus keep them voting and commenting more consistently.

The same applies to popular authors who are very active in the forums, chat, on other people's profile comments, etc. Someone who stays socially active can overcome a slower production rate.

Those are the two big ones.

You have to keep yourself in readers' heads. If you don't there are a pack of new stories each and every day that may catch their eye before they remember "that guy who wrote that story I liked last week".

You make a valid point.... I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks, RejectReality! smile
Lurker
If it's votes and comments you desire, you're not going to find them here, my friend.

The authors who will consistently receive feedback are the stalwarts from the glorious era. (pre April 2014)

This site was a thriving community. With nearly 30,000 active members at peak times, you could expect at least 50 votes. One of my stories received over 200 votes and over 70 comments.

Now, with a mere 7000 members active at peak times, you'll be lucky if you receive any votes or comments at all.

And as for constructive feedback -- no chance.

Members on this site who know what they're talking about and are capable of giving constructive feedback are few and far between. They're too busy moderating to give you feedback anyway.

Unfortunately, and it saddens me to say it because this is/was a fantastic site, I feel this site has a lifespan of one more year at most.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by bustergonad
If it's votes and comments you desire, you're not going to find them here, my friend.

The authors who will consistently receive feedback are the stalwarts from the glorious era. (pre April 2014)

This site was a thriving community. With nearly 30,000 active members at peak times, you could expect at least 50 votes. One of my stories received over 200 votes and over 70 comments.

Now, with a mere 7000 members active at peak times, you'll be lucky if you receive any votes or comments at all.

Members on this site who know what they're talking about and are capable of giving constructive feedback are few and far between. They're too busy moderating to give you feedback anyway.

Unfortunately, and it saddens me to say it because this is/was a fantastic site, I feel this site has a lifespan of one more year at most.

Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by bustergonad

lol - you joined a month ago, have one forum post, no avatar and no friends, and yet, here you are, making predictions based on your vast knowledge. i agree with Ivory. BS. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
OMG that explains it.....the SITE is failing not me. The lack of comments and votes? It's the site's fault. Damn I should have realised that. And I thought it was my fault. Oh and I haven't won a competition because it's the site's fault. I had always erroneously blamed it on SITTING for writing better fucking stories? Grrrr shows you how off-base you can be. Sorry SITTING . Hey I have a solution? I'll form my own site. I can vote on all my own stories as many times as I want and I can let myself WIN all the writing competitions. Wow that was easy. Hey well at least I'm part of the "pre-2014 crowd" on a failing site. Geez time for a drink. I feel depressed. Will all my stories disappear when the one-year is up?
Lurker
A crazy idea which works for me, (no, hear me out...) is to write the words "Please Vote and Comment. Thank You!" at the end of your stories.

Okay, who's next?

xx Steph
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by PoisonIvory

awesome...
My Stories

No Ordinary Gal

Fucked and Taken

That Special Evening
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by PoisonIvory

awesome...
My Stories

No Ordinary Gal

Fucked and Taken

That Special Evening
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by PoisonIvory

awesome...
My Stories

No Ordinary Gal

Fucked and Taken

That Special Evening
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
Quote by bustergonad

Ummm...what?

Quote by bustergonad

1. There are those who aren't authors who come here strictly to read, and they give great feedback all the time.
2. Ummm...what?

Quote by bustergonad

The site is growing every day...exponentially so. How is that not thriving? And are you saying that the more members we get, the less active the site gets? Does that make sense to you?

Quote by bustergonad

As of right now, 10:55 am Eastern Time Zone (UTC - 05:00), there are 4,976 members online. You say 7,000 active members peak time. It's not even peak time and there are nearly 5,000 members on right now. Does that make sense to you?

Quote by bustergonad

Every author that ever submits a story gets constructive feedback AT LEAST once...first and foremost by the moderator that approves or rejects their story.

Based on this fact alone, completely disregarding the readers who give constructive feedback, this is a lie.

Quote by bustergonad

There are currently 261,917 members on this site. Of those members, only 57 of us are moderators. The moderator to member ratio is 1 to 4595.

Even if all 57 of us decided to never vote or comment on a story, it wouldn't be detrimental to anyone's views, feedback, and scores.

Quote by bustergonad

That saddens me too. Given all of your one month of expertise on this site. Even if you were a member before and decided to come back, things change on a rather large scale around here.

I'm not sure what site you came from that put you up to spewing such nonsense (I doubt I've ever heard of it anyway), but it won't work. You guys should go back to the drawing board. Go back to spamming links or something...because this plan is/was just an epic fail.

Or maybe you're just bitter and disgruntled and left but decided you couldn't stay away. Something made you come back. But given how shitty of a site we apparently are, I'm not sure what drew you back.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Active Ink Slinger
begging sometimes helps...
“It's nice sometimes to open up the heart a little and let some hurt come in. It proves you're still alive.”
Quote by Belthazor
I get a lot of views (and I would assume) a lot of readers, but very few actual votes and comments. Any advice on how to get people to actually vote or comment? I really want some feedback, but I get almost nothing. Help me out, my fellow lushies!

You just gotta learn how to network and advertise. Start with your friends list. Some people do the mass-message thing. While lots of people (myself included) tend to disregard these sort of messages, lots of people read stories they wouldn't otherwise read because of a mass message.

Also, try voting and commenting on other people's stories. They may be compelled to return the favor.

Use your forum signature as a means of advertising. Come up with a great graphic. Lots of us are visual, so an intriguing banner may lead us to click and read your story, and thereby score and comment on it.

When all else fails, ask for it. Look among those whose opinions you trust most and ask them for constructive feedback. If they've got the time, I don't see why they wouldn't do that for you.

Active Ink Slinger
I have found being social helps. This is a social networking site after all. I have a few people that have scored and commented on all of my stories consistently, and they are on my friends list, and I interact with them in one way or another.

Mods aren't always too busy either. I find the people who edit my stories to be the first to comment through a message about the plot, characters, and etc.

I also wasn't from the " Era " or whatever he was talking about, and my first few stories did OK, but my last story did pretty good for a newbie.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by curious3045

awesome...

Someone had to call it. lol
Lurker
Quote by PoisonIvory
I have found being social helps.

(Is it ME or are CANADIAN writers particularly HOOKERISH???)

xx Steph.

PoisonIvory: "That's not funny, I don't even know you... In fact if you don't go RIGHT NOW and vote on at least ONE of mine I'm going to report you to the Forum Mods..."

Me: "Pie, calme tous... I was making the point that in interaction with others on site we make friends and get votes and..."

PoisionIvory: "JUST FUCKING VOTE AND COMMENT ON ONE OF MINE OR YOUR ASS IS TOAST!!!! And it BETTER be a FIVE, you dickhead..."

Me: "French Toast?"

PoisonIvory: "Actually, I'm not French-Canadian, my dad was from... WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! I SEE what you're trying to do... Get voting, you Irish Eejit!"

Me: "I VOTED ON THE FUCKING POEM, OKAY?"
Quote by stephanie

xx Steph.

PoisonIvory: "That's not funny, I don't even know you... In fact if you don't go RIGHT NOW and vote on at least ONE of mine I'm going to report you to the Forum Mods..."

Me: "Pie, calme tous... I was making the point that in interaction with others on site we make friends and get votes and..."

PoisionIvory: "JUST FUCKING VOTE AND COMMENT ON ONE OF MINE OR YOUR ASS IS TOAST!!!! And it BETTER be a FIVE, you dickhead..."

PoisonIvory: "Actually, I'm not French-Canadian, my dad was from... WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! I SEE what you're trying to do... Get voting, you Irish Eejit!"

Dammit Steph, lay off the new members.

They're not ready for you yet...not that anyone ever is.

*down-votes all your shit*

Lurker
Sorry Hun...

(But PI's poem was GREAT and I bet she has a sense of humour...)

An aside... I notice the Forum Mods are on-the-ball today... AS USUAL...

(Jesus!)

EDIT!!!!!! (Just to clarify, the Forum Mods REALLY ARE on the ball today... The "JESUS!" was that they have to deal with the shit they do...) And they do. xx SF Respect.

xx Steph
Active Ink Slinger
I offer money to the women and prostitutes to the guys..
My Stories

No Ordinary Gal

Fucked and Taken

That Special Evening
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by stephanie

xx Steph.

lmfao!!!!

Us Canadians can't help but be social, or "hookerish" and I can totally see my self saying " And it BETTER be a FIVE, you dickhead "

It's like you really, really get me heart
Lurker
Quote by curious3045

Send me a link to anything you want commented on... (I like the Red-Head Cheerleader types...)

xx SF
Head Nurse
Link's in the signature, I'm not too proud to ask for comments smile
Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by stephanie

Sorry Hun...

(But PI's poem was GREAT and I bet she has a sense of humour...)

An aside... I notice the Forum Mods are on-the-ball today... AS USUAL...

(Jesus!)

EDIT!!!!!! (Just to clarify, the Forum Mods REALLY ARE on the ball today... The "JESUS!" was that they have to deal with the shit they do...) And they do. xx SF Respect.

xx Steph

yeah, dealing with crazy irish men isn't all it's cracked up to be...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Head Penguin
Quote by Belthazor

I don't think there's any magic formula. If you write well and entertain your readers, people will vote and comment. Choosing the right genre will help, but most of all, when you write - put your heart and soul into the story. Give 100% and people will acknowledge that.

Good luck

Danielle x

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Idk... Gryffindor?
Thank you all for your input!

Other than the no0b guy.... That was weird. I've been here since 2011. First started writing in 2012.

I'm trying to figure how to make my banners smaller. lol Or maybe something different.... Maybe all of them in one....
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by curious3045

Brunette will get you a 4 two redheads and a big titted blonde for 5
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Belthazor
Thank you all for your input!

Other than the no0b guy.... That was weird. I've been here since 2011. First started writing in 2012.

I'm trying to figure how to make my banners smaller. lol Or maybe something different.... Maybe all of them in one....

I was told that linking to a story, or all your stories from your banner is a good idea smile I like the one you have now