Do you think a lemon is bitter or sour?

22 votes remaining
Sour (22 votes) 100%
Bitter (1 vote) 5%
I'm not sure (5 votes) 23%
Neither bitter nor sour (1 vote) 5%
Head Penguin
0 likes
The truth is, I've never been comfortable with the difference between bitter and sour. I get salty and sweet and the new umami, but I think the other two are a bit blurred. I even looked it up and when I read the scientific explanation I was as confused as before. Some of the things I thought were bitter are meant to be sour etc.

Danny x

P.S. I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, because it seems to cross perceptual, philosophical, lexicographical and culinary boundaries. I thought I could do least damage here.

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Site administrator
0 likes
I immediately thought of Chinese and sweet and sour... sweet and bitter doesnt sound right. I dont know the difference tbh.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've never had a problem distinguishing between sour and bitter. To me a lemon is sour.
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Clumeleon
0 likes
I like my beer bitter, not sour.
0 likes
Quote by trinket
The flesh of the lemon is sour, the peel is bitter.

Good one. I like lemon juice and pulp, not so much the time.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
there are five basic tastes that can be perceived by the human tongue. these are bitterness, sourness, saltiness, sweetness and savoriness. bitter is the most sensitive among these tastes, perhaps an evolutionary response to the fact that a large number of toxic substances found in nature are bitter. sourness, on the other hand, is indicative of acidity.

examples of bitter: coffee, bitter melon, beer, unsweetened cocoa, citrus peels.

examples of sour: lemon, orange, grape, melon, wine and sour milk.

bitterness is perceived to be unpleasant, sharp, or disagreeable. the perception of bitter taste is facilitated by the combination of a taste receptor (Type 2) and a G protein (gustducin). the type of taste receptor, monomeric or surface bound, determines the various bitter ‘ligands’. in genetic studies for bitter taste perception, synthetic substances like phenylthiocarbamide (PTC) and PROP or 6-n-propylthiouracil are used. To ‘supertasters’ both these substances are extremely bitter.

sourness is detected by the concentration of hydronium ions in the hydrogen ion channels. hydronium ions are formed from water and acid. hydrogen ions formed permeate the amiloride channels allowing for detection of sourness. apart from these mechanisms of sour taste detection, there are other mechanisms also suggested. among these prohibition of potassium channels by hydrogen ions leading to depolarization of cell, conversion of CO2 to bicarbonate ions facilitating weak acid transport are notable.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by sprite
there are five basic tastes that can be perceived by the human tongue. these are bitterness, sourness, saltiness, sweetness and savoriness. bitter is the most sensitive among these tastes, perhaps an evolutionary response to the fact that a large number of toxic substances found in nature are bitter. sourness, on the other hand, is indicative of acidity.

examples of bitter: coffee, bitter melon, beer, unsweetened cocoa, citrus peels.

bitterness is perceived to be unpleasant, sharp, or disagreeable. the perception of bitter taste is facilitated by the combination of a taste receptor (Type 2) and a G protein (gustducin). the type of taste receptor, monomeric or surface bound, determines the various bitter ‘ligands’. in genetic studies for bitter taste perception, synthetic substances like phenylthiocarbamide (PTC) and PROP or 6-n-propylthiouracil are used. To ‘supertasters’ both these substances are extremely bitter.

sourness is detected by the concentration of hydronium ions in the hydrogen ion channels. hydronium ions are formed from water and acid. hydrogen ions formed permeate the amiloride channels allowing for detection of sourness. apart from these mechanisms of sour taste detection, there are other mechanisms also suggested. among these prohibition of potassium channels by hydrogen ions leading to depolarization of cell, conversion of CO2 to bicarbonate ions facilitating weak acid transport are notable.

wtf is a bitter melon?

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

wtf is a bitter melon?

Momordica charantia, known as bitter melon, bitter gourd, bitter squash, or balsam-pear, is a tropical and subtropical vine of the family Cucurbitaceae, widely grown in Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean for its edible fruit. Its many varieties differ substantially in the shape and bitterness of the fruit.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
To me, it's always been something you know when you taste it, which is why I couldn't vote in the poll.
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Oh, Baby, you know I love it when you talk dirty.
Convict
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Momordica charantia, known as bitter melon, bitter gourd, bitter squash, or balsam-pear, is a tropical and subtropical vine of the family Cucurbitaceae, widely grown in Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean for its edible fruit. Its many varieties differ substantially in the shape and bitterness of the fruit.

Can't you please put all this bitterness behind you, Princess?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

That's very informative. Thanks for sharing.

But how is bitterness disagreeable, when it makes our food so tasty, be it chillies or whatever we choose for the same.

And would you like to add anything about the savouriness?? Is that a taste. I found myself looking this up to find umaminess, the fifth taste, which I not able to understand if and what that means.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by sprite
there are five basic tastes that can be perceived by the human tongue.

Six if you’re a lesbian.
Troublemaker
0 likes
My car is dirty
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Six if you’re a lesbian.

Not that it's just accessible to them only.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX
By sour milk, I guess they mean yogurt? How is this like an orange?

Not that the two are same, but both are classified to come under the sour tasting things.

If they didn't do that we would have been discovering hundreds of tastes everyday and soon there would have been no new names or numbers to identify them.
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by Sapiophile
Quote by DanielleX
By sour milk, I guess they mean yogurt? How is this like an orange?

Not that the two are same, but both are classified to come under the sour tasting things.

If they didn't do that we would have been discovering hundreds of tastes everyday and soon there would have been no new names or numbers to identify them.

It sounds like you're saying the difference is both subjective and arbitrary

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

It sounds like you're saying the difference is both subjective and arbitrary

Quite so, if you are talking about all the tastes we can have. But to limit it to the very few, we have to have a consensus of which fall under a similar category and that has been accepted as standard.

And for the orange and the yogurt, their difference, is not just subjective, but more like they are two of the various variants we have under the sour taste.
0 likes
Quote by trinket
I don't consider oranges, grapes or melons to be sour. Just saying.

Oranges, it depends on the variety. Not sure what you get over there, but some of the US and Mexican ones can be. If you're mostly getting Spanish clementines and that sort of thing, yeah.

Ditto grapes, though eating grapes usually aren't.

I've never had a sour melon (and I'm not overly fond of them for that reason, too sweet for me) but I suppose they could exist.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
According to Peter, Paul, and Mary "The fruit of the lemon is impossible to eat" so how do we know that it is bitter or sour?

Wait... that should be "The fruit of the POOR lemon is impossible to eat" So, now the question is ...why is the taste of the lemon dependent on the economic status of the lemon?