Login

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

last reply
8 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I see this years nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are out. I totally agree with G'n'R, Joan Jett (my teenage idol, LOL), Chili Peppers, Heart and can even deal with Donna Summer, although I do not consider her music Rock.

But this got me thinking, who doesnt belong that is in, and who has been snubbed and should definitely be inducted? How can groups like Deep Purple, Rush, Yes, and although I am not a fan, Kiss, not be in the HOF but ABBA is. It is called Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, not Pop Music Hall of Fame. Who do you think doesnt deserve to be in and who would you like to see in that isnt. Just curious!!
The Linebacker
0 likes
That is a good list on this year's crop except for Donna Summer. She is not rock-n-roll.

ABBA? My God they are bubble gum pop! Gross!

Deep Purple, Yes and Rush should definitely be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I guess you could slide Kiss in there, they did sell a lot and it technically was rock, though any child with 2 or 3 music lessons could easily play their music It was base stuff, the easiest rock guitar chords, etc.

Deep Purple, Rush and Yes had quite a bit more musical depth to their work.

ABBA = Gross!!!! and Donna Summer was Disco (the Queen of Disco in fact!) She did have a great singing voice, very powerful voice.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz
That is a good list on this year's crop except for Donna Summer. She is not rock-n-roll.

ABBA? My God they are bubble gum pop! Gross!

Deep Purple, Yes and Rush should definitely be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I guess you could slide Kiss in there, they did sell a lot and it technically was rock, though any child with 2 or 3 music lessons could easily play their music It was base stuff, the easiest rock guitar chords, etc.

Deep Purple, Rush and Yes had quite a bit more musical depth to their work.

ABBA = Gross!!!! and Donna Summer was Disco (the Queen of Disco in fact!) She did have a great singing voice, very powerful voice.

I agree that Kiss are not good musicians but thet were somewhat influential and many very good bands ahve cited them as major influeneces. But I have nevr been a fan, think of them more as cartoon characters then musicians and Gene Simmons would sell his mother if he could make money from it.

But ABBA? Total Joke. Them being inducted takes all credability away from the HOF. Someday, I really hope one of the bands that have been snubbed and obvioulsy belong get picked and they say NO THANKS!!! I was really hoping Alice Cooper would have done that last year!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
ABBA?! seriously? How the hell did they get into the hall of fame?
“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.”~Frank Sinatra~
Lurker
0 likes
Once again, overlooked:

Along with the number of record sales, and tenure, it's a no go. Funny thing is, we just don't care. Honestly, The Cure and Donna Summer? I truly like both of them, however, tell me how many rockers/music enthusiasts have been inspired by "Friday, I'm in love" and "Hot Stuff?" Again, both good bands, but ask any current band that is active, and ask most of those in the Hall of Shame how their record sales are doing and most would not be able to compare to Rush, or not mention Rush as their starting point. Rock that is.
Lurker
0 likes
here's a link to the website

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

PERFORMERS
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation’s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 500 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes - and more than 50 percent of the vote - are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

NON-PERFORMERS
Songwriters, producers, disc jockeys, record executives, journalists and other industry professionals who have had a major influence on the development of rock and roll.

EARLY INFLUENCES
Artists whose music predated rock and roll but had an impact on the evolution of rock and roll and inspired rock’s leading artists.

The special selection committee elects the inductees in the Non-Performer and Early Influences categories.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by eviotis
Once again, overlooked:

Along with the number of record sales, and tenure, it's a no go. Funny thing is, we just don't care. Honestly, The Cure and Donna Summer? I truly like both of them, however, tell me how many rockers/music enthusiasts have been inspired by "Friday, I'm in love" and "Hot Stuff?" Again, both good bands, but ask any current band that is active, and ask most of those in the Hall of Shame how their record sales are doing and most would not be able to compare to Rush, or not mention Rush as their starting point. Rock that is.

Total Joke!! Rush is an amazingly talented and successful band. I actually met Geddy Lee once. I have a friend who worked for Atlantic Records and got to attend a promo party once. Really nice guy. This was back when I was married and my ex and him a lomng coversation about baseball. he is a big Blue Jays fan.

But I am sure ABBA and Madonna are much more deserving of being HOF inductees!! What a disgrace!
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I agree wholeheartedly that Rush, KISS, Deep Purple, etc. should be inducted, but there are two bands that I think really DESERVE to be in the hall of fame:

1. Blue Oyster Cult
Ask most hard rock musicians what their early influences are, and BOC invariably comes up. I mean, this band started out in the late 60's and is still currently touring to this day. Buck Dharma is one of the best guitar slingers in the business, and they have had a deeper impact on rock music than just about anyone, albeit in a 'underground' way. A lot of guitar players would not even be playing the stuff they play today without the influence of this primordial band that the term 'heavy metal' was first used to describe their sound. There is a lot more to this band than 'Don't Fear the Reaper'.Trust that.

And, probably a bit more controversial, but just the same...

2. DEVO
Again, this band has influenced and 'warped' rock, forever, and are still out there today. They definitely have done more to change the face of rock and roll than The Cure (who have cited DEVO as an early influence, and whom I am a fan of also) or ABBA. Hell, even Geddy Lee of Rush has espoused the virtue and influence of these four futuristic souls. They deserve a spot for sure.

So, What do you think? Agree? Disagree?