last reply
27 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Anyone here scared of this day? I sure am! LOL
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No, Its one of my fav day in the year......
Carpe Diem

Red out
Lurker
0 likes
Not me ,, When and where did this superstition start ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think it might be a Celtic thing. But not for sure. But here is one explanation
LEGEND HAS IT: If 13 people sit down to dinner together, one will die within the year. The Turks so disliked the number 13 that it was practically expunged from their vocabulary (Brewer, 1894). Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue. Many buildings don't have a 13th floor. If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck (Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names). There are 13 witches in a coven.

Although no one can say for sure when and why human beings first associated the number 13 with misfortune, the superstition is assumed to be quite old, and there exist any number of theories — most of which deserve to be treated with a healthy skepticism, please note — purporting to trace its origins to antiquity and beyond. This is a quote from the net.
Carpe Diem

Red out
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What..? 13 is my lucky number!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Pixie
I sure am scared! [of Mrs. Edward Cullen]

.. you should be scared Pixie – we have something pending!

3:00pm behind the gym – come armed!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LushPrincess

Mine as well LP
Carpe Diem

Red out
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Pixie
Anyone here scared of this day? I sure am! LOL

*YAWN* nope never have been
Forum Whore
0 likes
Yeah actually, I haven't been having a good week, and this makes me squeamish..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Another theory about the origin of the superstition traces the event to the arrest of the legendary Knights Templar.

The Knights Templar were a monastic military order founded in Jerusalem in 1118 C.E., whose mission was to protect Christian pilgrims during the Crusades. Over the next two centuries, the Knights Templar became extraordinarily powerful and wealthy. Threatened by that power and eager to acquire their wealth, King Philip secretly ordered the mass arrest of all the Knights Templar in France on Friday, October 13, 1307 - Friday the 13th.

Who really knows... Just be careful out there!!
Algol
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes, Angol. But most scholars predate it way father back.
Carpe Diem

Red out
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Redwolf
I think it might be a Celtic thing. But not for sure. But here is one explanation
LEGEND HAS IT: If 13 people sit down to dinner together, one will die within the year. The Turks so disliked the number 13 that it was practically expunged from their vocabulary (Brewer, 1894). Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue. Many buildings don't have a 13th floor. If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck (Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names). There are 13 witches in a coven.

Although no one can say for sure when and why human beings first associated the number 13 with misfortune, the superstition is assumed to be quite old, and there exist any number of theories — most of which deserve to be treated with a healthy skepticism, please note — purporting to trace its origins to antiquity and beyond. This is a quote from the net.

WOW, My once married name had 13 letters and I had nothing but hassle once I got married. Wow so glad I've gone back to my maiden name.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Lady_Lydia
Yeah actually, I haven't been having a good week, and this makes me squeamish..

AAWW!!! Come here sweetie I'll protect you
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Algol
Another theory about the origin of the superstition traces the event to the arrest of the legendary Knights Templar.

The Knights Templar were a monastic military order founded in Jerusalem in 1118 C.E., whose mission was to protect Christian pilgrims during the Crusades. Over the next two centuries, the Knights Templar became extraordinarily powerful and wealthy. Threatened by that power and eager to acquire their wealth, King Philip secretly ordered the mass arrest of all the Knights Templar in France on Friday, October 13, 1307 - Friday the 13th.

Now I did not know that...Thank you for that intriguing 411.qdI3H6gtsS208Ifx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
THIS explains why my day was HELL!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Algol

Many were killed on this day.
Carpe Diem

Red out
Lurker
0 likes
Thank you very much REDWOLF for the explanation,, I think I will count the letters in my name and see if this name thing is true for me!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Your welcome anytime
Carpe Diem

Red out
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Aw crap! My first and last name equal to 13 letters!!
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Pixie

lmfao mine don't unless i use Chelle instead of Michelle
Lurker
0 likes
We will protect you, Chelle.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Pixie

look out pixie!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
no 13 to me is a good number. there are 13 members in a coven.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Redwolf
Quote by LushPrincess

Mine as well LP

I was born on Friday the 13th, so it's always been a lucky day for me...

And let's not forget about a "Baker's Dozen".

Nothing unlucky about that!

Ling
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Redwolf
Quote by Algol

THis is from the Da Vinci code, you can take that with a grain of salt.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by mosando
Quote by Redwolf
Quote by Algol

This is from the Da Vinci code, you can take that with a grain of salt.

Sorry I'm a student of history and these are facts not glorious fiction
Carpe Diem

Red out
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Redwolf
Quote by mosando
Quote by Redwolf
Quote by Algol

This is from the Da Vinci code, you can take that with a grain of salt.

Sorry I'm a student of history and these are facts not glorious fiction

You quoted word for word from Wikipedia. And on the same article it indicates that is what is said afterwards

"The connection between the superstition and the Knights Templar was popularized in the 2003 novel The Da Vinci Code. However, some experts think that it is relatively recent and is a modern-day invention.[3][8][9] For example, the superstition is rarely found before the 20th century, when it became extremely common. One author, noting that references are all but nonexistent before 1907 but frequently seen thereafter, has argued that its popularity derives from the publication that year of Thomas W. Lawson's popular novel Friday, the Thirteenth,[12] in which an unscrupulous broker takes advantage of the superstition to create a Wall Street panic on a Friday the 13th.[4]"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I rarely use wikipedia but i go back to the sources of old. I am also a member of orders that reach back centuries and I'm a keeper of records. So If you have anything further or would like to debate history. Please PM me and we shall.
( As a keeper of records, I can tell you that the only things that are known to the public are what we release.)
Carpe Diem

Red out