Login

Depression addiction?

last reply
10 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
So, I'm here to ask a question I've heard rumours bout. Is it actually possible to get addicted to being depressed? I've been depressed a little lately, and I dont know if I'm causing it to myself.
I'm halfway gone.
Lurker
Well, I'm sure it's possible to be addicted and to enjoy being down, but as for clinical depression, that's a whole different story. We all have downer days or even weeks, but I'm not so sure it's possible to be addicted to being properly depressed.
Lurker
Good point GB.
Does it get you attention LAD? Sometimes that's a reason for people.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by chefkathleen
Good point GB.
Does it get you attention LAD? Sometimes that's a reason for people.

It doesn't, actually.
Let me see if I can elaborate on my idea of what I think is going on.....
I think its the feeling of being isolated so much that I can do whatever I want and I'll know for sure that no one will give a rats ass, even if it's life threatening (though I'm not suicidal...... Well, that's not entirely true. I wouldn't harm myself while conscious. I wouldnt mind sleeping and never waking up.)
I still dont know how to explain it properly, it's almost like a craving really.
I'm halfway gone.
Active Ink Slinger
Well, it's a start.
I'm halfway gone.
Active Ink Slinger
Have you ever heard the phrase, "wallowing in self-pity?" it seems that is what you describe. Who is to say whether it is that or is true clinical depression? Seems to me, the only person who can say is yourself. You have to decide which it is, and act accordingly. IF you decide you are merely wallowing in self-pity, then simply decide not to. If, on the other hand, you are unable to do that, then perhaps you need to seek professional help.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Lurker
IF a person thinks they may have clinical depression, they should seek help from their GP. The doctor is the one who should decide whether it is clinical depression or something different. Usually, people suffering depression are unable to identify if they are depressed or merely in a 'funk'.

For something which could be quite a serious health matter, I don't think trying to diagnose yourself by reading anything off the internet is a good idea either.

If I were you, I would make an appointment with your regular doctor and tell them everything. I wish you good luck in finding out what is causing you to feel this way.
Active Ink Slinger
It's just as possible to psychologically self-harm as it is physically. You don't have to feel "sad" to suffer from depression, in many cases the biggest problem for people with depression is the inability to feel anything.

Go to your doctor, talk about depression. Hopefully you're just going through a bad patch and things will pick up for you. Take plenty of long walks and get plenty of sleep.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
I so agree - seeing the Doctor worked wonders for me, mentally and physically I saw a vast improvement!
Active Ink Slinger
Thanks for all the positive advice. I think I will actually go to my doctor soon. And as for not feeling anything.......I have been apathetic towards any and everything lately. Hmm...
I'm halfway gone.