Login

Why is this Popular?

last reply
27 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Artistic Tart
This is the thread for all places, movies, songs, actors, actresses, singers, movements, and any other things that are popular, but in your opinion, are so bad that you can't figure out what the big deal is.

Post pics or videos if they apply. Discussion encouraged.

Artistic Tart
"Hey Soul Sister" by Train.

This song is terrible, yet it's everywhere. I've hated it irrationally ever since it came out, and then the other day I stumbled on an article that spells out pretty much everything that sucks about it:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2010/12/the_20_worst_so_19.php

The best line of the article states that "Hey Soul Sister" is the whitest song to ever have the word 'soul' in it. It goes on to completely savage this song, deservedly.
Active Ink Slinger
Why is Lush so damn popular? I mean, all you get is to read hot stories, chat with some awesome people and just be free...I don't get the appeal of this place
Active Ink Slinger
MMA. Mixed Martial Arts for the few who haven't been overwhelmed by the movement yet. While I respect the talent and training of the fighters, I can't understand why the sport is so popular.
Lurker
As for "Hey, Soul Sister," well a; the lyrics themselves allude to many things "retro." Retro is cool, and hip, b; the Jason Mraz cover has a ukulele in it, and they are very cool, Eddie Vedder just did an album totally inspired by the instrument, and c; along with advertisements and a spot on "Glee" it seems to be the shit. Yes, it's shit, but right now, it's "The Shit."

And, as far as the word "soul," I guess that idiot never heard "Lady Marmalade."

As for MMA, "Two men enter, one man leaves," or something like that. Since the dawn of recorded history, it draws infinite attraction. Myself, I do enjoy the technical side of hand to hand combat, but only when true technical fighters are engaged, otherwise, not for me. But dudes love a good fight. Hockey for instance.

Why are reality shows so popular? Is it the car crash that everyone stops to see? Something so gruesome, that you can't turn your gaze?
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by eviotis
Why are reality shows so popular? Is it the car crash that everyone stops to see? Something so gruesome, that you can't turn your gaze?

That's another good one. I stopped watching reality shows when Richard won Survivor despite being incapable of surviving in the wild. There is so little reality in reality shows.
Active Ink Slinger

Cant stand this song!!! thank god its not on the radio 24/7 anymore!!
Artistic Tart
Quote by eviotis
Jason Mraz

There's another name that belongs on this list. I mean- just look at this toolbox.

Quote by eviotis

And, as far as the word "soul," I guess that idiot never heard "Lady Marmalade."

You can't be serious. There's no way "Lady Marmalade" is anywhere close to as white as "Hey Soul Sister", starting with the fact that white people didn't sing it. Even in the remake, Xtina's got plenty more soul than these Starbucks-swilling frat-haired crapsters ever dreamed about.

Quote by eviotis

Definitely! I love certain reality shows, and that's exactly why. I want to see the gruesome awkwardness at its finest.
Active Ink Slinger

These douchebags. For the life of me, I just don't understand why these vacuous, Valtrex-swilling, non-entities get the press they do.
Lurker

Do I even need to put words to this?
Lurker
The Jersey Shore! I agree with MNP. If I never had to see their faces again, I'd be thrilled!
Active Ink Slinger
I'll admit that I do give into some of the reality TV out there, because some of it is decent. The key word being "SOME."
but lord, I cannot STAND certain people who are coined "celebrities" for no apparent reason. Here is my list (in no particular order) of the following DB's that need to take a permanent vacation from the media and television in general

The Real Housewives - Orange Country, New York, Butt fuck Idaho...I don't care, just give it a rest already. Nobody cares about your rich husbands, plastic parts or endless bitching.

The cast of Jersey Shore - personally I want to pump my fist up all of their asses and set Snookie's poof of fire.

Lindsay Lohan - what a goddamn train wreck. I thought maybe she'd get her shit together and pull a Drew Barrymore or something, but this bitch is a lost cause. Pretty much just counting down the days until her OD or drunken car crash death tops the headlines - it's only a matter of time.

Amy Winehouse - is she really only in her 20's...because she looks to be about half mummified. She's in rehab, she's out of rehab, she's in rehab, she's out of rehab. What a hot mess. Kinda sucks, because she actually does have some talent!

The Olsen Twins - You have tons of cash girls, please stop dressing like bag ladies - it's not fashionable, it's irritating.

Justin Bieber - Really? Is this really what teenage girls swoon over? I don't get it, I really don't!
Active Ink Slinger
The obvious train wreck shows:
Jersey Shore
Housewives franchise
The Kardashians
The Bachelor/Bachelorette
Toddlers and Tiaras

I have a whole list, these are at the top of my list.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Active Ink Slinger
U2. Have they done anything worthy of "great band" status since Joshua Tree? And yet they are still treated as rock gods.
Lurker
I don't understand why being politically correct is so popular. When did people get so sensitive that talking became a chore so you don't hurt anyone's feelings? Horse shit. Grow the fuck up and take it like an adult. Then learn to give it back.

This is one of my favorite quotes.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Jebru
U2. Have they done anything worthy of "great band" status since Joshua Tree? And yet they are still treated as rock gods.

You are so right. Whenever I say something like that people get so bent out of shape. Like I'm blaspheming God himself.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by chefkathleen
I don't understand why being politically correct is so popular. When did people get so sensitive that talking became a chore so you don't hurt anyone's feelings? Horse shit. Grow the fuck up and take it like an adult. Then learn to give it back.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Yes, political correctness sucks the big donkey dick. But here is my new favorite quote...

‎'A society whose citizens refuse to see and investigate the facts, who refuse to believe that their government and their media will routinely lie to them and fabricate a reality contrary to verifiable facts, is a society that chooses and deserves the Police State Dictatorship it's going to get.' -- Ian Williams Goddard

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by Jebru

i don't like The Joshua Tree much. My girl, who loves U2, doesn't even like it much. that said, Achtung Baby, Pop, and their latest cd are brilliant. that's not an opinion, btw, but a fact, so in your face, Jebru! *giggles* smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by lafayettemister
Quote by Jebru

You are so right. Whenever I say something like that people get so bent out of shape. Like I'm blaspheming God himself.

*nods* God is a huge U2 fan. Just ask Bono!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
Lady Gaga... ok, she's not bad, and i kind of admire what she does, but the music itself is just kind of bland - i think i could watch her show and think she's amazing, but just listening to her songs would bore me to tears. that said, i'm kind of impressed that she pretty much did her own thing and made herself into the multi-billionaire sensation - more power to her for doing it on her terms and being as out there as she wants. smile

Lurker
Quote by lafayettemister
Quote by chefkathleen

Yes, political correctness sucks the big donkey dick. But here is my new favorite quote...

‎'A society whose citizens refuse to see and investigate the facts, who refuse to believe that their government and their media will routinely lie to them and fabricate a reality contrary to verifiable facts, is a society that chooses and deserves the Police State Dictatorship it's going to get.' -- Ian Williams Goddard

I like it LM. I'm stealing it.
Lurker
"You can't be serious. There's no way "Lady Marmalade" is anywhere close to as white as "Hey Soul Sister", starting with the fact that white people didn't sing it. Even in the remake, Xtina's got plenty more soul than these Starbucks-swilling frat-haired crapsters ever dreamed about."

That's what I meant soul sister. There are many songs that have "soul" in it that are way better:

Superbad -- James Brown: "I got soul, and I'm superbad."

Lady Marmelade -- Labelle: "Hey sister, go sister, soul sister, go sister."

and presently:

sheesh, soul sister, you're preaching to the choir.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by eviotis
"You can't be serious. There's no way "Lady Marmalade" is anywhere close to as white as "Hey Soul Sister", starting with the fact that white people didn't sing it. Even in the remake, Xtina's got plenty more soul than these Starbucks-swilling frat-haired crapsters ever dreamed about."

That's what I meant soul sister. There are many songs that have "soul" in it that are way better:

Superbad -- James Brown: "I got soul, and I'm superbad."

Lady Marmelade -- Labelle: "Hey sister, go sister, soul sister, go sister."

and presently:

sheesh, soul sister, you're preaching to the choir.

Both of those songs suck equally in my book just my opinion though I seriously can't stand either
“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.”~Frank Sinatra~
Lurker
Quote by sprite
Lady Gaga... ok, she's not bad, and i kind of admire what she does, but the music itself is just kind of bland - i think i could watch her show and think she's amazing, but just listening to her songs would bore me to tears. that said, i'm kind of impressed that she pretty much did her own thing and made herself into the multi-billionaire sensation - more power to her for doing it on her terms and being as out there as she wants. smile

whoa! I was about to say that we couldn't be friends anymore (*wink*) because I LOVE Lady Gaga!! But then when you explained it, you redeemed yourself. I really do like her songs - just not the ones they play on the radio so much. Alejandro and Judas get on my nerves and Telephone was overplayed (except the music video is still awesome to me!)

But on her older CDs she has FANTASTIC songs like "teeth" and "I like it rough" and a bunch of others that aren't nearly as ridiculous as the ones on the radio
Active Ink Slinger
Oh dear: Lady Gaga has "older CDs" already, has she? . . . I think I forgot which floor I'm on in the nursing home . . . lol
Active Ink Slinger
I would just like to say I love train, and hey soul sister is a great song in my opinion, but then again I listen to pretty much all music, and I am super white lol, and I also love gaga, not all her songs but most, I agree with ILDA2 that some of her songs on the radio can get annoying especially judas, WAYYYYY overplayed. I also do not understand why Rebecca Black is so popular. So popular that she was actually in Katy Perry's music video omfg whyyyyyyyyyyyy=( She does not deserve to be in Katy Perry's amazing awesomeness of a video. And if anyone says they don't like katy perry in this forum i might cry because i am legitimately in love with her.
Lurker
Well there's not enough room for me here lol, let's start with why is Justin bieber so popular, I mean really? Bieber fever? Cmon.. Ive listened to one song and it was "oooh baby, oooh baby" the entire time. Where's the lyrics.. Let's not forget the Jonas brothers.. We've seem the older brothers 26-27 year old cougar girlfriend.. He's no virgin.
Lurker
Leopard-skin print....

(On any living thing THAT ISN'T a medium-sized African cat....)

xx SF