What's your favorite Christmas movie?

last reply
112 replies
9.5k views
1 watcher
1 like
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
It's A Wonderful Life. Suicide, homelessness, alcoholism, capitalist greed, even implied prostitution. Lots of hard subjects for a feel good Christmas movie. But it IS a feel good Christmas movie. I still get choked up every time.

Second place is that stupid stop-animation Rudolf movie, with the Abominable Snowman and the clearly gay elf who wants to be a dentist. Actually, Lush kinda reminds me of the Island of Misfit Toys. In good way. Really.
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
It's A Wonderful Life. Suicide, homelessness, alcoholism, capitalist greed, even implied prostitution. Lots of hard subjects for a feel good Christmas movie. But it IS a feel good Christmas movie. I still get choked up every time.

Second place is that stupid stop-animation Rudolf movie, with the Abominable Snowman and the clearly gay elf who wants to be a dentist. Actually, Lush kinda reminds me of the Island of Misfit Toys. In good way. Really.

Scrooged has to be up there. It's anything but a typical adaptation of Dickens, but is a lot more fun than most.

Die Hard! takes place at Christmas and what could be more Christmas-y than yelling "Yippee-ky-yay motherfucker" as you save your wife from heavily armed bad guys?

Nightmare Before Christmas because for all its weird trappings, it's actually kind of sweet and sappy in the end.

Yeah, I'm probably strange. I'm actually rather cold on traditional holiday movies like It's a Wonderful Life.

Oh, and that Rudolph is probably my favorite of the various stop-motion and animated Christmas specials from my childhood. The Boris Karloff Grinch Who Stole Christmas is another.
Lurker
0 likes
It has to be Its A Wonderful Life for me. Second for me is A Christmas Story. Who doesn't love Ralphie! It was filmed in Cleveland so it has the home town feel for me too.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

Scrooged has to be up there. It's anything but a typical adaptation of Dickens, but is a lot more fun than most.

Die Hard! takes place at Christmas and what could be more Christmas-y than yelling "Yippee-ky-yay motherfucker" as you save your wife from heavily armed bad guys?

Nightmare Before Christmas because for all its weird trappings, it's actually kind of sweet and sappy in the end.

Yeah, I'm probably strange. I'm actually rather cold on traditional holiday movies like It's a Wonderful Life.

Oh, and that Rudolph is probably my favorite of the various stop-motion and animated Christmas specials from my childhood. The Boris Karloff Grinch Who Stole Christmas is another.

TOTALLY forgot Diehard. Absolutely. Slip it in at #2, and move Rudolf to #3.

I've never seen A Christmas Story. Yeah, I know, it's unforgivable.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
A Wish for Wings that Work.

i know most people have never heard of it, but it's THE best xmas movie ever and, cause i'm nice like that, here it is in it's full glory.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
I love It's A Wonderful Life. It is perfection. It is beautiful. It is unsung heroness. It is beautiful and I love the actors and Zuzu's petals and the ending. Oh the ending!!
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Quote by browncoffee
I love It's A Wonderful Life. It is perfection. It is beautiful. It is unsung heroness. It is beautiful and I love the actors and Zuzu's petals and the ending. Oh the ending!!

I couldn't agree more, Hannah. It's A Wonderful Life is sheer perfection

Mind you, Scott and V have a point about Die Hard. Not only Brucie's creative swearing and heroics in a vest but also the peerless Alan Rickman giving an acting lesson on how to play a bad guy with elegant panache and a consistent accent.
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
My favorite Christmas story is A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote.

There have been a couple of TV movies made from the story that I know of. The first one is from 1966 and stars Geraldine Page. I've only seen it on you tube. This is part one of six.

I've read the short story from which it was based every year at Christmas since I was eleven or so.

My favorite Christmas movie, though, is A Christmas Story. I don't remember a Christmas when I didn't watch it, and it still makes me laugh.
[url]http://[/url]
Cheese wiz
0 likes
A Christmas Story. It reminds me of my childhood, both naughty and nice, even if it was set many years before my days as a boy. It just shows that kids be kids be kids, especially at Christmas time.

I also have a very weird soft spot for An American Christmas Carol. Something about The Fonz trying to act underneath three inches of latex rubber just warms my toes.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
A Christmas Carol (the George C. Scott version), It's a Wonderful Life, and The Polar Express
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's a Wonderful Life was directed by Frank Capra, my favorite director ever. Donna Reed was SO beautiful in that movie. Jimmie Stewart was simply terrific as the lead actor. I've seen it maybe 50 times. Second might be Holiday Inn, the movie that introduced Bing Crosby singing White Christmas to the world.
Southern Barefoot Angel
0 likes
The 1938 version A Christmas Carol , Rudolph the Red nosed reindeer , Frosty the Snowman ,Santa Clause is coming to town and A Charlie Brown Christmas
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Lampoons Christmas Vacation
0 likes
Die Hard!!!

Also, honorable mention goes to Gremlins.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Site administrator
0 likes
Home Alone No. 53 and Carry On Nurse :s.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
It’s a wonderful life
A Christmas story
White Christmas
Elf
The polar express
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by apptobebad
Arthur Christmas - 2011

You big kid!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Scrooge with Albert Finney..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
White Christmas.
0 likes
A wonderful life is number 1. And miracle on 34th street couldn’t have the Holliday’s without them
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
1.miracle on 34th Street, 2 how the Grinch stole Christmas 3. A wonderful life with James Stewart
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Tkdvrman1
Lampoons Christmas Vacation

along with that great movie, I also enjoy the Christmas themed episodes of some of my favorite TV shows from then and now such as: That 70s Show, King of the Hill, Seinfeld, and The Simpsons to name few.
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Death in Venice
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
The Bee's Knees
0 likes

how the grinch stole christmas (1966) of course! i have mad love for the good doctor?

Say. Her. Name.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
1. A Christmas Carol (1951 Alastair Sim) 2. It's a Wonderful Life 3. Love Actually