Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Waning gibbous - what am I referring to?

last reply
32 replies
3.8k views
1 watcher
2 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
If you know the answer, please don't reply.

Anyone else, take a wild guess. It's the first time I've ever heard the phrase today.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth

Do you think it will rain or get dark before morning?
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
A swelling (gibbous) that is reducing in size (waning)?
Maggie R
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Quote by gypsymoth

Do you think it will rain or get dark before morning?

'Tis always darkest before the dawn.
Matriarch
0 likes
My mother always used to come up with the rain or get dark phrase when there was a pregnant pause. I wish she had just kept quiet a lot of the time, I love pregnant pauses, comedic purity
Lurker
0 likes
Ah yes, the pregnant pause.
Lurker
0 likes
well I know it. I'm a smart arse. but I could come up with interesting alternatives. A dying Gibbon, for one
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
If you know the answer, please don't reply.

Anyone else, take a wild guess. It's the first time I've ever heard the phrase today.

I'm biting my tongue.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I understand the reference and as request I am refraining from posting the answer.
The reviews are in. Here's what people are saying about FicklePickleTickle:
"BestCukeOnTheVine" - LusciousLola.
"Pickle juice rocks!" - curiousbutterfly.
"Pickles is really a jalapeño" - sw33tang3l
"Will someone make that guy sit down, my kids can't see the movie?!?" - Some guy in at the theater.
"Shouldn't he be wearing clothes if he's going to be in the wedding?" - Your mom.
"If FTP Eats A Pickle, Is That Cannibalism? " Nikki703
"FTP makes me wet. . ." - imhapless.
"Always thought he was dill but he's actually a sweet pickle." - kinkygirl.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Oh how I do wanna say yes I know the answer yes I will keep my mouth shut
“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.”~Frank Sinatra~
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
ooo, ooo please Miss, I know, I know!

Though technically (pedantically) they're just a couple of adjectives that are pretty meaningless on their own
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Waning gibbous

Thats what she said!
Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
Lurker
1 like
Didn't he write "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". :-)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I guess it means you're only going to show me part of your lovely butt!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
ooo, ooo please Miss, I know, I know!

Though technically (pedantically) they're just a couple of adjectives that are pretty meaningless on their own

You want to get really pedantic its a participle adjective (a verb used as an adjective) and an adjective.

Is it a hunchback of declining power and influence? Technically that would be an accurate use of those words, but I'm guessing it's not the one you're referring to.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by symes4u

That was Gibberish, not Gibbons.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
This is all Im saying...
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by mal0003
I guess it means you're only going to show me part of your lovely butt!!

ha ha ha good one...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's a phase of the Moon. As the Moon moves from full to last quarter, it is called waning gibbous. On the other side, going from first quarter to full is called waxing gibbous.
Matriarch
1 like
Somebody doesn't read the instructions on the tin.

You're all smart alecs!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola

You're all smart alecs!

Great idea for a new thread!
- How did the expression 'smart alec' originate?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola

You're all smart alecs!

Not all of us are!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

You're all smart alecs!

Oh my gosh, sorry! I misread your post. I thought it said "if you DON'T know the answer, don't reply". My bad.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well that's just my opinion, sorry if you don't like.

BigDaddyRich
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by nicola

You're all smart alecs!

I didnt answer I just gave a clue and laughed. Yes I am a smart ass for the picture I posted but I couldnt help it I thought it was funny.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Jonnymarine
This is all Im saying...

Uranus has 27 moons... use them wisely
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth
Quote by symes4u

That was Gibberish, not Gibbons.

There I go waxing historical again.zQDpOOuNKErJ0lCL
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Oberon
Great idea for a new thread!
- How did the expression 'smart alec' originate?

According to Gerald Leonard Cohen, author of Studies in Slang Part 1 (1985), the phrase "smart alec" arose from the exploits of Alec Hoag. A celebrated pimp, thief, and confidence man operating in New York City in the 1840s, Hoag, along with his wife Melinda and an accomplice known as "French Jack", operated a con called the "panel game", a method by which prostitutes and their pimps robbed customers.

The key to his activities was that they did so in close association with two police officers, who shared the loot and provided protection. Most was done by pickpocketing, with Melinda taking the victim’s pocketbook while the victim was otherwise engaged and surreptitiously handing it to Hoag or French Jack as they walked by. Hoag's downfall came because he got into financial difficulties and tried to cheat his police protectors out of their share of the loot. In one exchange, Hoag lay behind a wall in a churchyard and had Melinda drop the goods over the wall to him so that the constables could not see them.

The aforementioned "panel game" was a trick also used by the original Smart Alec, although not exclusively by him. George Wilkes, the assistant editor of the Subterranean, met Hoag while Wilkes was falsely imprisoned in the infamous New York prison called The Tombs. Wilkes described the trick in a diary of 1844, The Mysteries of the Tombs: "Melinda would make her victim lay his clothes, as he took them off, upon a chair at the head of the bed near the secret panel, and then take him to her arms and closely draw the curtains of the bed. As soon as everything was right and the dupe not likely to heed outside noises, the traitress would give a cough, and the faithful Aleck (sic) would slily (sic) enter, rifle the pockets of every farthing or valuable thing, and finally disappear as mysteriously as he entered." The victim was then persuaded to leave in a hurry through a window by Alec banging on the door, pretending to be an aggrieved husband who had suddenly returned from a trip away.

Hoag used this trick to avoid paying off his police protectors, so that when he was caught, the police were in no mood to aid him. He was sentenced to jail, but escaped through the help of his brother, only to be recaptured following extensive police searches, having been recognized by Wilkes.

Professor Cohen suggests that Alec Hoag was given the sobriquet of "smart Alec" by the police for being a resourceful thief who outsmarted himself by trying to avoid paying graft. It's impossible to be certain this is the true story, since the expression does not appear in print until 1865.

Several of the more reliable dictionaries agree. The Oxford English Dictionary traces it to mid-1860s slang, while the American Heritage Dictionary (4th ed., 2000) and Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (16th ed., 1999) tentatively trace the etymology of the phrase to Hoag.