To protect the one you love

last reply
13 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I recently saw the film Drive, and it got me thinking... what would you do to save/protect the one you love? How far would you go? And do you think you would have changed if the circumstances were dire enough?
Lurker
0 likes
In order to protect my children, there is nothing that I wouldn't do.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by couldbyours
In order to protect my children, there is nothing that I wouldn't do.

As a parent you would move heaven and earth to protect the ones you love. It is still one of my biggest fears - the thought of any harm coming to my children - leaves me in a cold sweat sometimes.
Isolation - A Tale Of Star-Crossed Lovers
By
hartclass & CumGirl

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It is also why I feel so strongly about the recent thread - again a subject I find hard to come terms with - even in the virtual world
Isolation - A Tale Of Star-Crossed Lovers
By
hartclass & CumGirl

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm pretty much in agreement. For my loved ones, especially my kids I'd do just about anything and everything to protect them. Take a bullet, brawl a bear or alligator, fight a single or multiple intruders, kill, go to jail, whatever. No one would be exempt from my full efforts if they were a real dangerous threat to my kids. Including their mother. And I'd expect her to act accordingly to me if I ever lost my mind and were about to hurt them. Kill my ass.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
lol... I love how nobody in this thread has mentioned taking a bullet for their significant other yet.

Protecting one's children/offspring is definitely an innate and biological trait in most people (well, other than the Casey Anthony types).

I'd do whatever was necessary to protect a loved one (could be a child, a dog, a parent, an S.O.)... anyone in my inner circle of mutual and reciprocal love and devotion. If the pain of losing them is something that would override my desire to live without them, then there's nothing I wouldn't do if I had the opportunity to save them.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
lol... I love how nobody in this thread has mentioned taking a bullet for their significant other yet.

Protecting one's children/offspring is definitely an innate and biological trait in most people (well, other than the Casey Anthony types).

I'd do whatever was necessary to protect a loved one (could be a child, a dog, a parent, an S.O.)... anyone in my inner circle of mutual and reciprocal love and devotion. If the pain of losing them is something that would override my desire to live without them, then there's nothing I wouldn't do if I had the opportunity to save them.

I said it!!! Come on, give me my props! A significant other would be a loved one.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister

I said it!!! Come on, give me my props! A significant other would be a loved one.

Sorry, I got distracted by the "I'd have no problem taking her down if she was a threat to my kids" bit.

Just kidding LM... I know you'd be a protective one to the entire core family. smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't think it's something you exactly know (how you would react) until you've been in the situation. But the past indicates I would do a whole lot. I have a friend who wasn't even in a danger of death, last year, but merely broke, in a new city (on another continent, too... hong kong), crappy apartment, very little food, right before the holidays, and my reflex was to transfer a few hundred dollars to her bank account, just so she could have a christmas, and some relief. And it's not like she was my best friend either. I just felt that if I had been in her situation, I would have been infinitely grateful if someone had helped me. Maybe it was vanity... I wanted to be a hero for someone, I wanted to be adored, if only for a moment.

Taking a bullet, or taking a beating at the hands of intruders, or jumping between a loved one and a bear... I don't know. First concern would be the safety of my loved ones. But that doesn't necessarily means jumping in. But if someone gave me the inevitable choice of them or me, I would take it upon myself. I just know I could live with whatever harm that would come to me, if I were to survive. And if I were to die, then.. meh.. I don't believe in after-life, so I'm good too. silly
Cocolicious
0 likes
I don't have kids, but let me tell you, I recently had the unfortunate experience of having my fiance get into a serious accident. I couldn't handle it if he was gone. Suffice it to say, I would do serious bodily harm if someone's aim is to hurt him. The person that hit him was driving drunk and it was the idiot's third offense, damned lucky the fool is still in jail.

And if you break in my home, be prepared to get shot!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Sorry, I got distracted by the "I'd have no problem taking her down if she was a threat to my kids" bit.

Just kidding LM... I know you'd be a protective one to the entire core family. smile

Haha, touche'.

But in all seriousness, sometimes people lose their way. And sometimes a spouse sees it happeneing and is helpless to prevent it. Think of the Susan Smiths of the world. Andrea Yates. I'm sure given the chance, if their husbands had been around when these horrible acts happened, they would have stepped in. And any father that would hurt his kids, the mother would/should jump to stop him as well.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Personally I would stand up for them with all I've got in the hope that they would do the same. And not just for loved ones, for close friends as well. I don't like seeing anyone close to me hurt or in pain because of someone else. I may not be that mature, but I am very strong willed when it comes to protecting those special to me and will do everything and anything to make sure that they're okay.
Teased and Tormented -My very first story and competition entry is now up!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by rudyP34
I don't think it's something you exactly know (how you would react) until you've been in the situation. But the past indicates I would do a whole lot. I have a friend who wasn't even in a danger of death, last year, but merely broke, in a new city (on another continent, too... hong kong), crappy apartment, very little food, right before the holidays, and my reflex was to transfer a few hundred dollars to her bank account, just so she could have a christmas, and some relief. And it's not like she was my best friend either. I just felt that if I had been in her situation, I would have been infinitely grateful if someone had helped me. Maybe it was vanity... I wanted to be a hero for someone, I wanted to be adored, if only for a moment.

Taking a bullet, or taking a beating at the hands of intruders, or jumping between a loved one and a bear... I don't know. First concern would be the safety of my loved ones. But that doesn't necessarily means jumping in. But if someone gave me the inevitable choice of them or me, I would take it upon myself. I just know I could live with whatever harm that would come to me, if I were to survive. And if I were to die, then.. meh.. I don't believe in after-life, so I'm good too. silly

That is such an honorable act of kindness. Props to you, good sir
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As rudyP34 says, you don't know until you are in the situation. It is like combat. A Hell of a lot of guys die, not for someone they love, exactly, but for their buddies. On second thought - maybe that is a kind of love, too. You get pretty close to the guys you serve with, and sometimes you do things that surprise yourself ...

This thread reminds me of a friend I had in the service who was MOH. He always said he didn't deserve it ... but when he wore it (which was only when he was forced to), the officers all saluted him, deserving or not. He never talked about it much, but one night, after lots of booze,I managed to pry out of him that he did what he thought he had to do to survive. So, take that for what it is worth.

With it and a match, you can probably light a cigarette.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster