135 replies
9.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Alpha Blonde
0 likes

Will you be watching?

What events are you most excited about?

Who are your favourite athletes or teams?

This is the thread to discuss winter sports, events, medals, outcomes, brag about your country or favourite team winning, talk about the opening and closing ceremonies and even the political drama and protests.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

curling! snowboarding! speeeeeed skating are the favs, but pretty much, the tv will be on at all times and tuned to the LYMPICS! ok, shutting up now...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

curling! snowboarding! speeeeeed skating are the favs, but pretty much, the tv will be on at all times and tuned to the LYMPICS! ok, shutting up now...

Curling??? Damn, you're hardcore! silly

I'm watching all skiing, snowboarding, figure skating, speed skating, hockey. Definitely.

Probably watch some luge too. So pretty much everything I'm able to catch except curling. lol I just can't get into curling.

Overall, I do get much more into the Winter Games than the Summer.

My fave events are probably moguls, freestyle skiing and ice dance.

There are also 12 new events at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games like biathlon mixed relay, women's ski jumping, figure skating mixed team, luge mixed team, ski half-pipe (men’s and women’s), ski slopestyle (men’s and women’s), snowboard slopestyle (men’s and women’s) and snowboard parallel slalom (men’s and women’s).

I'm particularly interested in seeing the halfpipe (will be thinking of Sarah Burke though).
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
ok, so... i used to think curling was some sort of joke, but... *thinks* 2 lympics ago, i watched curling, actually watched, and they explained it and it was fascinating! i mean, it's all this strategy and stuff, and i just sort of got really into it and now, it's one of my favorite winter sports.

snowboarding is a no brainer - long time x-games girl just loves the snowboarding - halfpipe, cross, and slope style, love them all. i like the skiing events, and speed skating is crazy fun to watch. i'm mixed about the ice skating - i hate the judging part of it - i wish you could just watch it and not worry about scoring - mostly, i like the couples better, and i like the dance version? that said, i want to see them do rythmic gymastics on ice. really, tho, it's all fascinating to watch... oh, AND my girl Hannah Teter is gonna be snooooowboarding!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i'm mixed about the ice skating - i hate the judging part of it - i wish you could just watch it and not worry about scoring - mostly, i like the couples better, and i like the dance version?

Figure skating judging has come a loooong way since when I was a kid. It's broken down into a very specific points system now. Not just a bunch of Russian judges in fur coats punching in a 6.0 for their favourite team. Having said that, ice dance is still the occasional problem child of the division when it comes to judging politics.

In dance, for example, I do believe the American team of Davis and White are basically a lock to win, failing them actually falling on their ass (which would be unheard of in elite level dance), even though the Canadian team of Virtue and Moir (who are the Olympic gold medalists of 2010) are the more skilled skaters. It's been a bit of a trade off, I think. America really wants that ice dance gold and I think there's been some behind the scenes politicking and PR going on. And both teams competing against each other are coached by the same damn coach - how fucked is that?

Anyway... that's my prediction. And I *will* be grumbling about it when it happens.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Figure skating judging has come a loooong way since when I was a kid. It's broken down into a very specific points system now. Not just a bunch of Russian judges in fur coats punching in a 6.0 for their favourite team. Having said that, ice dance is still the occasional problem child of the division when it comes to judging politics.

In dance, for example, I do believe the American team of Davis and White are basically a lock to win, failing them actually falling on their ass (which would be unheard of in elite level dance), even though the Canadian team of Virtue and Moir (who are the Olympic gold medalists of 2010) are the more skilled skaters. It's been a bit of a trade off, I think. America really wants that ice dance gold and I think there's been some behind the scenes politicking and PR going on. And both teams competing against each other are coached by the same damn coach - how fucked is that?

Anyway... that's my prediction. And I *will* be grumbling about it when it happens.

it just seems that every year (and this happens in gymnastics too) there's like some sort of scoring controversy and it sort of gets in the way of my enjoyment. i mean, i get it, you can't just go - oh, they skated the fastest time... althought... ice dance racing could be a hit, right? you have to do your routine while headed down a slope alongside the other couples, and the first couple to the finish line wins! biggrin

what do you think of Gracie Gold? she's like the new american darling. she's pretty, that's all i know, pretty much. lol

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite

it just seems that every year (and this happens in gymnastics too) there's like some sort of scoring controversy and it sort of gets in the way of my enjoyment. i mean, i get it, you can't just go - oh, they skated the fastest time... althought... ice dance racing could be a hit, right? you have to do your routine while headed down a slope alongside the other couples, and the first couple to the finish line wins! biggrin

what do you think of Gracie Gold? she's like the new american darling. she's pretty, that's all i know, pretty much. lol

Yeah, I hate to even complain about ice dance because like I said - back when I was a kid and involved in it, the competitive elite had turned into a bit of a circus on ice - overly theatrical, a lot of two-footed skating and gaudy costumes and major judging BS. The point system is very specific and it's come a long way in being fair by requiring an overall score to be broken down. It forces deductions. I think the American team is excellent - but... if both teams skate without any error and to to the best of their abilities - I believe Virtue and Moir should take it, and based on the way comp judging has been going over the last year, I don't think they will. Anyway, just a hunch. Who knows - there will probably be mistakes made along the way so I might not end up pouting at all. lol

I don't really know Gracie Gold (perfect name!!). Ice dance is the only division I vaguely follow - more because that was my thing for many years when I was a kid. I looked up Gracie - she's very cute, yes. If she wins Gold, the sponsors will be alllll over her. That sport is pretty lucrative if you're a photogenic Disney-friendly female with an Olympic medal. No limits for her! smile

On the skiing front, it's too bad Lindsey Vonn isn't able to compete. I saw her most recent event (post surgery) just before she announced she would not be planning an Olympic run and she was really shaky - nowhere near the top of the pack. More dreams crushed by knee injuries. It's difficult for athletes who push themselves extra hard leading up to an Olympic year and then suffer injuries, crashes, mishaps that take them out of the running altogether. Had she been healthy and able to compete, she probably would have had some gold around her neck.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I read this the other day:

Quote by [url=http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/04/us-olympics-rights-idUSBREA130TS20140204
Reuters Link[/url]]
Former Olympic champion and mayor of the mountain Olympic village Svetlana Zhurova has appealed to protesters not to use the Games as a platform to protest about gay rights in Russia.

"I have never seen (this) at any Olympic Games and I would call on the people who are going to protest, that it doesn't make sense," said Zhurova, a gold medal winner in the 500m speed skating event at the Turin Games in 2006.

The Games, which open on Friday, have faced calls for a boycott from gay rights groups after Russia passed a law banning the spread of gay propaganda among minors.

But Zhurova said that sexuality was irrelevant in the context of competition, and that gay and straight athletes would be treated equally.

"For the spectators, it is more important who wins than whether he or her is homosexual or not," the 41-year old former Olympic champion said.

"We are all participants of the Games and we are going to applaud the straight people and the homosexuals just like the previous Olympic Games," said Zhurova, a competitor at four Winter Olympics.

What do people think of that? I'm torn because in order to affect change for LGBT in Sochi, the global stage is a good opportunity to raise awareness. After all, there are a lot of gay athletes that will be competing. Given that the mayor said "there are no gay people that live in Sochi," it's pretty backward as far as discrimination goes. I expect there will be some protests organized etc. On the other hand, does this take away from the athlete's experience and what the Olympics are all about and should the focus only be on competition and winter sports?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I read this the other day:

What do people think of that? I'm torn because in order to affect change for LGBT in Sochi, the global stage is a good opportunity to raise awareness. After all, there are a lot of gay athletes that will be competing. Given that the mayor said "there are no gay people that live in Sochi," it's pretty backward as far as discrimination goes. I expect there will be some protests organized etc. On the other hand, does this take away from the athlete's experience and what the Olympics are all about and should the focus only be on competition and winter sports?

spoken like someone who has never been thrown in jail for simply being open about their sexuality. ok, look, i get it, politics shouldn't be part of the olympics. these people train for 4 years for their one shining moment in the sun - that said, from what i can see, Russia/Putin was the one that brought politics into it. he could have simply said 'you know? even tho i'm an ass, for these 2 weeks, i'm going to pretend that we don't discriminate against gays and inform everyone to simply look the other way. there's not going to be any arrests of male ice skaters or female hockey players, promise. i hope that the protests don't disrupt the actual athletes or the sports, but i DO hope they make it clear that the rest of the world is looking down on him and demands change - as far as i'm concerned, this is a human rights issue - no different that any other.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite

spoken like someone who has never been thrown in jail for simply being open about their sexuality. ok, look, i get it, politics shouldn't be part of the olympics. these people train for 4 years for their one shining moment in the sun - that said, from what i can see, Russia/Putin was the one that brought politics into it. he could have simply said 'you know? even tho i'm an ass, for these 2 weeks, i'm going to pretend that we don't discriminate against gays and inform everyone to simply look the other way. there's not going to be any arrests of male ice skaters or female hockey players, promise. i hope that the protests don't disrupt the actual athletes or the sports, but i DO hope they make it clear that the rest of the world is looking down on him and demands change - as far as i'm concerned, this is a human rights issue - no different that any other.

Point blank, Sochi should never have been chosen to host the Olympics. From the treatment of LGBT to the security issues to yesterday's revelations that they were poisoning and 'culling the stray dogs in the city and around the Olympic park to make way for the Opening Ceremonies, leaving them convulsing and crying in the streets. Shining a global spotlight on this city has been rather sobering unfortunately. And yet how many Sochis are there out there?

I don't think protests are going to do much in the way of creating change for LGBT because I think it's so culturally and religiously entrenched - it will be verrrry slow, even if laws are changed. When the Olympics fade to black, what happens to the protests, the discussion, and the political pressure? That doesn't mean people should throw up their hands and say "oh well, leave them to it" but the scope of the issues are massive and efforts have to be ongoing, which I hope they will be. The silver lining is the awareness that's being brought to the problem as even cities around the world stage rallies in front of their Russian consulate to make their voices heard.

I honestly can't comprehend living in a place where the state condones and even encourages hate crimes against its own citizens in this day and age. How the IOC is taking a backseat approach to everything after the Olympics were dropped in Sochi's lap is totally beyond me. Human Rights. Animal Cruelty. What's next? Sochi was not ready for the world stage. Personally for me, everything I've read/heard and keep hearing has really cast a black cloud over something I look forward to every four years. I have to imagine it affects the athletes as well.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Feels like the Sochi Games will fail dramatically.

Already a comedy of errors being reported from unfinished hotels for journalists, unsafe bathing water, mass killing of stray animals in the area, unsafe skiing and snowboarding courses, and not the least of which, the anti-gay rhetoric.

The IOC is a corrupt institution. Putin likely pocketed most of the money, after paying the IOC off of course.

Damned pity Sochi had to be chosen.

That said....

I'll be watching most of it. I gotta see Shaun White in the halfpipe.
Lurker
0 likes
Hockey takes precedence for me. Follloowed by Curling, Bobsled, Luge, skiing. My least fovorite event would probably be cross country skiing.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Men's slopestyle is fantastic - loooove this addition to the Olympics. I'm amazed watching the quality of those aerial jumps.

In other Olympic news... looks like I was right about the shady ice-dance predictions. News just broke about a vote-swapping deal between the US and Russia, coming from french sports magazine L'Equipe, the paper that broke the Lance Armstrong scandal.

I'm happy the media is talking about it *now* before the event even occurs. Under additional scrutiny, I wonder if it will affect the integrity of the judging. Probably not, but one can at least hope that athletes are rewarded fairly. Imagine a crazy notion like that, right?

Quote by [url=http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/russia-u-s-have-vote-swapping-deal-to-deny-virtue-moir-ice-dance-gold-says-lequipe
Ice Dance Gold is Fixed[/url]]

The fix is in.

L’Equipe, the French sports magazine, quoted on Friday an anonymous senior Russian coach who says Russia and the United States have set up a “proposed barter” to help each other at the Sochi Olympic figure skating events.

Because they are not in direct competition with each other in these events, the United States would help Russia win the team gold event, while Russia would reciprocate by supporting U.S. ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White win gold over defending Olympic champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, the L’Equipe source said.

Head Nurse
0 likes
I, one of those without a TV, am frustrated by the lack of online coverage for those of us who dont purchase cable.I love to watch the olympics, but Ill have to download to watch.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
just watched the Dutch sweep the 5000m long skate in speed skating. really enjoyed the opening ceremonies. well done, Russia. smile watching Johnny Weir talking about figure skating right now. good thing they didn't let any gays in. Oh, Brian Botano's there too. biggrin

loved Germany's uniforms! hated ours, tho. damn, what were they smoking?

and yes, slopestyle it SOOOO cool! :)

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite
just watched the Dutch sweep the 5000m long skate in speed skating. really enjoyed the opening ceremonies. well done, Russia. smile watching Johnny Weir talking about figure skating right now. good thing they didn't let any gays in. Oh, Brian Botano's there too. biggrin

loved Germany's uniforms! hated ours, tho. damn, what were they smoking?

and yes, slopestyle it SOOOO cool! :)

Yep, I thought the Opening Ceremonies were really well done - loved the ballet the most. I think best dressed athletes award goes to Great Britain and France.

And yes, I think the US uniforms were a total fail... sorry Ralph Lauren - I wanted to love it but it reminded me of the dreaded christmas sweaters where you expect to see Rudolph or a festive snowman patched onto the back. Just way too busy, imo.

Germany's was definitely attention grabbing but a little too 'sorbet swirl' for me. If they had ditched those floral red pants they might have been ok.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Yep, I thought the Opening Ceremonies were really well done - loved the ballet the most. I think best dressed athletes award goes to Great Britain and France.

And yes, I think the US uniforms were a total fail... sorry Ralph Lauren - I wanted to love it but it reminded me of the dreaded christmas sweaters where you expect to see Rudolph or a festive snowman patched onto the back. Just way too busy, imo.

Germany's was definitely attention grabbing but a little too 'sorbet swirl' for me. If they had ditched those floral red pants they might have been ok.

oh, i loved the ballet, and i thought of you while watching it and you're wrong, the pants MADE the outfit biggrin Slovenia's were nice, too.

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Of course!
Head Penguin
0 likes
Going with my Dad and two of my cousins in the last week for the ice hockey! We have tickets for the final!!!

Am soooo excited!

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite

oh, i loved the ballet, and i thought of you while watching it and you're wrong, the pants MADE the outfit biggrin Slovenia's were nice, too.

Oh, come on. Haha.

Ok, at least the guy's in the white pants looked good. The rainbow sherbert coats weren't my favourite, but they weren't totally awful. But red + floral = nooooooo. Even plain red would have been better. These are like those bridesmaid dresses you know you'll never wear again that get shoved to the back of the closet after it's over.

On the other hand:

Nicely played, Team France! *whistles*

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Of course!

shush, you. it's germany. everyone elses pale by comparison.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Of course!

They did well!

Cocolicious
0 likes
Sochi was most definitely the wrong choice for obvious reasons, but I love everything about the winter games with the exception of curling.

Ice skating is the most drama filled sport, but every time I'm drawn into it. This year will be no different.

Poland, by far had the best opening ceremony uniforms, and the Americans, as usual, was uniform overkill. France was nice but simple.

0 likes
Quote by DanielleX
Going with my Dad and two of my cousins in the last week for the ice hockey! We have tickets for the final!!!

Am soooo excited!

There are a few choice words I would like to call you right now. Instead, I will take the high road and say I AM JEALOUS!

Hope you have an amazing time watching Canada win gold!

The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
ok, so... i used to think curling was some sort of joke, but... *thinks* 2 lympics ago, i watched curling, actually watched, and they explained it and it was fascinating! i mean, it's all this strategy and stuff, and i just sort of got really into it and now, it's one of my favorite winter sports.

If you haven't already, you need to watch the movie "Men With Brooms" Best curling movie ever! (Ok, probably the ONLY curling movie ever, too)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alleged-olympic-vote-swapping-deal-would-keep-canada-from-gold-1.2528489

This is troubling to see pop up again. Even just having the story out there affects how the event will be perceived. If the Canadians win we'll wonder: "Did they give preferential treatment to the Canadians to try and avoid any appearance of the story being true?" And if the Canadians lose, we'll also be wondering if there just might have been something to the story.
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by Dudealicious

There are a few choice words I would like to call you right now. Instead, I will take the high road and say I AM JEALOUS!

Hope you have an amazing time watching Canada win gold!

Awww thanks!

I'll get great pleasure from watching us wup your ass and you taking a well-earned silver!

May the best team win!!!

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
watching the team skating events now, first the ice dancing *dreamy sigh* ok, i like the dancing better than the figure skating part, with all the difficult moves - it just flows better. now it's the women's singles. can i say that i am also developing a crush on Tara Lipinkski as a commentator? she's just pretty yes, i am a terrible person. our ice dancers are SO good, White and Davis. good luck all the other countries beating us.

oh, and Women's hockey beating Finland 3-1! you go girls! smile

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Coco
Sochi was most definitely the wrong choice for obvious reasons, but I love everything about the winter games with the exception of curling.

sorry, but i'm going to have to unfriend you now smile